As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Don't Make the Muslims Angry [Censorship Thread]

SliderSlider Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Debate and/or Discourse
http://news.yahoo.com/s/ynews/ynews_ts1763

"South Park," which has satirized just about every major religious and political figure, dead or alive, can still stir up controversy after more than a decade on the air. In last week's 200th episode, the creators — mindful of Islam's strict ban on any visual depictions of the the Prophet Muhammad — concealed the animated Muhammad character in a bear costume or in a U-Haul truck. So viewers never actually saw Muhammad.

Even though South Park is only a cartoon, the undertones of Comedy Central's decision to censor and edit the most recent episode clearly shows that this country is still willing to bend to the whims and desires of a few crazed people. Censorship is alive and well.

Slider on

• Options
    AroducAroduc regular
    edited April 2010
    Uh. Sure you don't want to mention... maybe... I don't know... might be relevant... last night's episode where CC bleeped the word Muhammad for the entire episode?

Aroduc on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's irritating that CC wouldn't try and stand up for freedom of speech, but in the end it's their network and their money. What comes out of the TV on their channel is their speech, not Matt & Trey's. So it's their freedom of speech that they're free to exercise, and it doesn't particularly surprise me that they're that easy to push around.

Hopefully, with the rise of the internet, giant media corporations will lose power and people like Matt and Trey who want to make statements that corporations with lots to lose won't stand behind will be able to reach a similar audience and only have to answer to themselves.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You're...you're kidding about the war on terror line, right?

Darlan on
  • Options
    FremanFreman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only Muslim response that I saw reported was from a group of a half dozen guys led by a convert with zero religious authority.

It wasn't a case of ZOMG MOHAMMEDANS, it was a case of Comedy Central and Viacom being a whole gaggle of geese.

Freman on
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Darlan wrote: »

This is Slider. You should see what he's saying in the Arizona Laws thread.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Mild ConfusionMild Confusion Smash All Things Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think the whole thing is silly. I remember a few months ago I saw that TBS (I think) was playing the Super Best Friends episode as well as Comedy Central. This is after the Family Guy episode of South Park too. They showed Mohammed then and it was not a big deal and no one died. I hope Matt Stone and Trey Parker find some kind of media outlet (maybe their next movie) where they can stop being censored.

Mild Confusion on
    steam_sig.png

Battlenet ID: MildC#11186 - If I'm in the game, send me an invite at anytime and I'll play.
  • Options
    darkmayodarkmayo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I was hoping it was in jest, not familiar with sliders topics.. is he along the lines of kevin nash?

anyways, in the end its CC and viacoms call, of course they should have discussed this with the creators but these days you cant make a joke about muslims without upsetting some wingnut... I mean you dont see the Rabbi's, Irishmen and Ducks throwing a hissy fit... :P

darkmayo on
    Switch SW-6182-1526-0041
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Darlan wrote: »

This is Slider. You should see what he's saying in the Arizona Laws thread.

Stop flirting with me.

Slider on
  • Options
    KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think the whole thing is silly. I remember a few months ago I saw that TBS (I think) was playing the Super Best Friends episode as well as Comedy Central. This is after the Family Guy episode of South Park too. They showed Mohammed then and it was not a big deal and no one died. I hope Matt Stone and Trey Parker find some kind of media outlet (maybe their next movie) where they can stop being censored.

They are making a musical about Mormons...

or was it Scientology? I forget. Either way, awesome.

KalTorak on
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Maybe CC was more afraid for Matt and Trey then for the channel. If someone kills Matt and Trey what is comedy centrel going to have that is successful.

Tanolen on
  • Options
    QinguQingu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It always sucks when someone's work or criticism is censored to avoid angering a reactionary cult.

This kind of censorship used to be commonplace ... 50 years ago ... for movies and shows potentially insulting to Christians or Jesus. "The Last Temptation of Christ" iirc (which wasn't even sacreligious or offensive in context) elicited mass protests and death threats and I believe it got a limited release. Nintendo censored the early Final Fantasy games to remove any references to "Holy" or Christian stuff.

I think an important difference is that this censorship is actually in response to violent threats, not just economic or political pressure. On one hand, maybe that means Viacomm is more justified in censoring, since actual lives are at stake. On the other hand, I think censoring in response to threats of violence probably just encourages more of them.

I hope the Muslim group gets investigated; making violent threats, even if you don't intend to carry them out, is illegal, yes?

Qingu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Tanolen wrote: »
    Maybe CC was more afraid for Matt and Trey then for the channel. If someone kills Matt and Trey what is comedy centrel going to have that is successful.

Jon Stewart?

Slider on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have a few thoughts and opinions on the matter.

First and foremost: South Park takes jabs at everyone. Everyone. No celebrity, religion, lifestyle choice, or race is safe on the show. They rip on everybody equally. The muslims need to realize this and get the giant stick out of their ass. Its not like they are being targeted specifically by the show. They are being targeted because they exist.

Secondly, the Muslims need to stop being so militant and aggressive if they ever want to be taken seriously at the world table. Sure, its just extremists and crazy people who are doing this, and there are plenty of rational, level-headed muslims out there. But they need to reign in and keep their crazies in check. The few are giving a bad name to the many.

Third, making death threats against people for exercising their right to freedom of speech is just stupid. If the muslim (extremists) don't like the laws of America, they can gtfo. Seriously. I'm not advocating hate speech, but I'm also against censorship. If they can't take a little ribbing from South Park, they need to just leave. Because there are a whole lot worse things out there than South Park. South Park, while being very raw and often brutal, is good natured ribbing and does not advocate hate speech, hate crimes, or bigotry. More often than not, when SP ribs on something or someone, they are doing so to make a critique of society, and their abuse of people/religions/lifestyles is just a vehicle to make some larger point.

Finally, if a person finds the content of South Park to be offensive, DON'T WATCH IT. Its that simple. Seriously.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    TanolenTanolen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Slider wrote: »
    Tanolen wrote: »

Jon Stewart?

Damn I did forget about him and colbert

Tanolen on
  • Options
    BurtletoyBurtletoy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thank you for reminding everyone, Lucascraft, that "the muslism" are all one large monotonous group of people that all think and act exactly the same.

Burtletoy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Burtletoy wrote: »
    Thank you for reminding everyone, Lucascraft, that "the muslism" are all one large monotonous group of people that all think and act exactly the same.

I guess you missed the part where I specifically stated I was talking about the extremists? And you must have missed the part where I stated that the crazy minority are giving a bad name to the entire bunch?

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    So they really censored the episode?

I got that impression at first, but then Kyle's speech at the end was just two minutes of *bleep* sounds and I thought that had to be intentional... Because I doubted the speech was just a string of "Muhammed".

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    rational vashrational vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

I guess you missed the part where I specifically stated I was talking about the extremists? And you must have missed the part where I stated that the crazy minority are giving a bad name to the entire bunch?

Do you realize that every group of people has a radical minority that makes the group look bad to non-members?

rational vash on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    This doesn't even compare to how the Muslims fucked over The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time.

Qingu on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Qingu wrote: »
    This doesn't even compare to how the Muslims fucked over The Legend of Zelda: The Ocarina of Time.

One music track is comparable to censoring the message?

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That chant really tied the temple together.

Qingu on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Honk wrote: »

I got that impression at first, but then Kyle's speech at the end was just two minutes of *bleep* sounds and I thought that had to be intentional... Because I doubted the speech was just a string of "Muhammed".

Apparently his speech wasn't about muhammed at all, but was about fear and intimidation. At the time, I thought it was pretty funny that they would bleep out a "What I learned" speech, since those... well they're overdone, so the idea of censoring the whole damn speech was pretty funny.

But then I learned that CC censored it and it stopped being funny.

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Do you realize that every group of people has a radical minority that makes the group look bad to non-members?

Yeah?

I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic of Comedy Central censoring an episode of South Park because of a Mohammed reference.

I mentioned the muslim extremists because they are the ones who are doing the silly-goosery in this particular situation. I wasn't talking about abortion clinics so I didn't see the need to get off topic to discuss Christians who bomb clinics and murder doctors.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    JepheryJephery Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I had to read Salman Rushdie's The Satanic Verses for my Religion in Literature class. Its a pretty surreal book and its mostly a commentary on the status of Indian immigrants to Britain (both Muslim and Hindu), but it had a large focus on criticizing Islam.

The Ayatollah of Iran actually called a fatwa on Rushdie and people related to publishing, selling, and translating the book were killed in terrorist attacks (Rushdie was put into police protection).

Though I think Mike and Trey would consider having a fatwa issued on them an honor, I can see where CC is coming from, even though I wish they wouldn't censor them.

Jephery on
    }
    "Orkses never lose a battle. If we win we win, if we die we die fightin so it don't count. If we runs for it we don't die neither, cos we can come back for annuver go, see!".
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Khavall wrote: »

Apparently his speech wasn't about muhammed at all, but was about fear and intimidation. At the time, I thought it was pretty funny that they would bleep out a "What I learned" speech, since those... well they're overdone, so the idea of censoring the whole damn speech was pretty funny.

Wait, seriously? Man, I thought that was just carrying on the censorship joke.

Is there an uncensored version anywhere or will we be waiting for the DVD release?

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010

I haven't watched South Park in years. Did they actually bleep out the entire speech but leave Stan on screen gesturing? Because, unintentional it may be, it is pretty funny.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    rational vashrational vash Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Yeah?

I'm not sure what that has to do with the topic of Comedy Central censoring an episode of South Park because of a Mohammed reference.

I mentioned the muslim extremists because they are the ones who are doing the silly-goosery in this particular situation. I wasn't talking about abortion clinics so I didn't see the need to get off topic to discuss Christians who bomb clinics and murder doctors.
    You said that muslim extremists were giving the entire group a bad name. But since every group has extremists, the only people who think worse of muslims because of this are retards.

rational vash on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I now feel the same way.

Honk on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I haven't watched South Park in years. Did they actually bleep out the entire speech but leave Stan on screen gesturing? Because, unintentional it may be, it is pretty funny.

First it was Kyle and then, if I remember correctly, several other people. All bleeps for like one to one and a half minutes.

I was damned sure it was intentional.

Honk on
  • Options
    KhavallKhavall British ColumbiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    http://www.southparkstudios.com/news/3878

I was sure it was intentional too but...

apparently not

Khavall on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    It doesn't seem like too many people are happy with CC right now.

Slider on
  • Options
    His CorkinessHis Corkiness Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Couscous wrote: »

One music track is comparable to censoring the message?
    That chant really tied the temple together.
    Appreciatin' dis.

His Corkiness on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I remember the local Fox News affiliate here in Houston showed the drawing of Mohammed with the bomb-turban during a story. The ones that Danish newspaper made. Whoops!

emnmnme on
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

First it was Kyle and then, if I remember correctly, several other people. All bleeps for like one to one and a half minutes.

I was damned sure it was intentional.

No way it isn't intentional. They even set it up... "That's right kids, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP." "He's right, guys, BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP."

Edit: According to the news, it was censored by the network. And had nothing to do with Muhammed, but about fear and threats. Lame on CC.... though I admit I found it hilarious.

Shadowfire on
    WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The "news" even brought on a Muslim guy who, basically, referred to CCs actions as lame and retarded. But, he went on to say that self restraint needs to be exercised and ALL religions are created equal in the eyes of the great Deep Thought. Something like that...

Slider on
  • Options
    never dienever die Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Didn't CC learn anything from the commentary that South Park did last time they censored him? The way they took so many classic American symbols and literally shit all over them?

never die on
  • Options
    devCharlesdevCharles Gainesville, FLRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How often do you see people in our current culture that are pushing the lines of what is acceptable to say by facing possible actual repercussions and still do it anyway?

I think to some degree, we're just accustomed to being OK with the appearance of pushing boundaries. How often did we hear from Eminem that he was just saying things people didn't like, but he was too real to not say it. He made a group of, essentially, harmless people mildly upset. Trey and Parker have gone crazy on so many groups in this country that have a serious level of sanctimonious bullshit around them. The Catholic League got completely ignored here despite South Park ripping on them at a breakneck speed. This is different.

It seems Americans have just converted cowardliness from the Red Scare to fear of Muslim terrorists. Just look at what happens every time some terrorist attacks with a half baked scheme. People go insane. I had to catch a flight a couple of days after the liquid mixing scheme was revealed in England. It was fucking insane to see the reaction. This is less of an issue of censorship to me and more of one related to terrorism. Essentially, comedy central is bowing to terrorist demands. Censorship is just a result of that overarching problem. This idea that terrorists are boogeymen and get us in the night.

devCharles on
    Xbox Live: Hero Protag
    SteamID: devCharles
    twitter: https://twitter.com/charlesewise