As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Jade Empire: In Which a Thread is Created, A Post is Made, and a Discussion is Had

• Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    OptimusZed wrote: »
    Dyscord wrote: »
    The second was fixing the marriage dispute between the seamstress, baker and gang leader. The baker is a lying sod who blocks you at every turn, and the sweet girl is clueless and emotional. The gang leader is level headed and doesn't WANT to be a gang leader forever, and just wants the baker to filfill the promise he made to marry her. This is all the information you get, beatings not withstanding. So being the model Dr. Phil that I am. I told the seamstress since her fiancee is a cowardly douche who won't talk to his other fiancee. The girl leaves WITHOUT getting all the facts after I explicitly told her not to, and the man is crushed and blames you, since it was clearly your fault for his failure to say they were six when the made the marriage promise. Guess what? Tough shit moron. If either of you love birds weren't smart enough to talk things through, how is a marriage going to work exactly? At least the gang leader cares enough to savagely beat her one true love, which is funny in more ways than one..

I realize this is hard to believe, but there's actually an even more retarded resolution to this quest.
    If you spend enough time talking to the baker and his fiancee, you convince them to meet with the gang leader and talk it out. Whereupon you discover that the "promise of marriage" was made when the gang leader and the baker were both kids. At this point the gang leader goes off the deep end and you can either fight her, or let her fight the fiancee for the baker's love. The fiancee of course is killed quickly.

The baker (understandably) doesn't really want to marry the woman who just killed his fiancee, and in a fit of pique the gang leader kills him too. Then, she decides you're responsible for all her problems, and attacks you next.

Yeah, that was a bad idea.
    I remember being able to defuse that situation.
    During the meeting you can get the bandit leader to break down and let them go, then she asks you to find her another husband.

yeah, and then you can get her and that dockworker guy together

I think it's more fun my way, though

Radiant Jen Zi takes no prisoners.

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I wish there was a lesbian pairing for that one. There was the annoying hick, the annoying bullshit loquacious guy, and I think someone else.

Couscous on
  • Options
    OrcaOrca Also known as Espressosaurus WrexRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    I wish there was a lesbian pairing for that one. There was the annoying hick, the annoying bullshit loquacious guy, and I think someone else.

There was, actually. Why hellloooooo princess!

Orca on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There was the kind, skilled but spineless crafter or carpenter or something like that.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just wanted to express my great love of Hidden Fist style. Beating people down with one hand behind my back never failed to make me feel like a bad ass.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    manwiththemachinegunmanwiththemachinegun METAL GEAR?! Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dire flame and storm dragon are awesome. I love the range, punch and stun power. White daemon is my standby martial style. I don't really like transformation magic or that spirit sapper.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    SilpheedSilpheed Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just wanted to express my great love of Hidden Fist style. Beating people down with one hand behind my back never failed to make me feel like a bad ass.
    I can't say I recall that particular style. Is it something that was included in the PC version?

Silpheed on
  • Options
    NEO|PhyteNEO|Phyte They follow the stars, bound together. Strands in a braid till the end.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sounds like the opposite to paralyzing palm.

NEO|Phyte on
    It was that somehow, from within the derelict-horror, they had learned a way to see inside an ugly, broken thing... And take away its pain.
    Warframe/Steam: NFyt
  • Options
    JakorianJakorian Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Damn it, this thread has got me all nostalgic. Just might buy this off steam.

Jakorian on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The red minister transformation thing is broken against regular human enemies.

Couscous on
  • Options
    Iron WeaselIron Weasel Dillon! You son of a bitch!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    I can't say I recall that particular style. Is it something that was included in the PC version?
    There was a quest in the Imperial City regarding a martial arts school (I can't recall the details). Anyway, if you solved the issue one way (CF, I think), you got Hidden Fist. I think Paralyzing Palm was the other possible reward.

Iron Weasel on
    Currently Playing:
    The Division, Warframe (XB1)
    GT: Tanith 6227
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Silpheed wrote: »
    There was a quest in the Imperial City regarding a martial arts school (I can't recall the details). Anyway, if you solved the issue one way (CF, I think), you got Hidden Fist. I think Paralyzing Palm was the other possible reward.
    That would explain it since I think I only solved that particular quest as a Open Palm character.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    How am I supposed to kill the stupid Fox Spirit? I run out of focus killing the three fox spirit thingies before her. The game won't allow me to go back and recharge right before I fight her.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Who is your support NPC? I'd go with the spirit guardian guy or Dawn. They can recharge your health or magic, whichever you need.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Who is your support NPC? I'd go with the spirit guardian guy or Dawn. They can recharge your health or magic, whichever you need.

I usually just use Dawn as I can always convert the magic into health.

She has 550 health. It looks like the heavenly strike move only does 30 HP damage. Under the jade master difficulty, that should only do about 1/4 of that. That comes out to about 73 hits. This is going to be one giant poke and run (repeat ad nauseam), isn't it? My main problem is that I can't seem to dodge one of her area attack moves. I can't use my transformation moves because I can't dodge worth shit in that mode.

Fuck jade master difficulty. :x

Couscous on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I usually just use Dawn as I can always convert the magic into health.

She has 550 health. It looks like the heavenly strike move only does 30 HP damage. Under the jade master difficulty, that should only do about 1/4 of that. That comes out to about 73 hits. This is going to be one giant poke and run (repeat ad nauseam), isn't it? My main problem is that I can't seem to dodge one of her area attack moves. I can't use my transformation moves because I can't dodge worth shit in that mode.

Fuck jade master difficulty. :x

Exactly. The Mother is by far the superior option in that section for Jade Master, Cannibals are substantially easier to murder than Fox Spirits. I'd recommend Jade Golem, but it burns focus way too quickly for it to be useful in JM mode. Poke and run!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Any tips on how to beat Inquisitor Jia. I'm getting tired of her pre fight speech.

Edit: Holy shit! Death's Hand just killed the party member who I wanted to go die in a fire. If I could high five that son of a bitch I would.
    Seriously, fuck you Zu. You were worse than Carth on the whiny bitch spectrum and were useless in combat to boot. I love how after he dies you can completely ignore making any reference to him whatsoever if you choose. Awesome.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ranged attacks are good! When she's sparkling, don't punch her because then you die. Keep a very, very close eye on your health bar to see what is murdering you.

Personally, I'm a fan of Tempest Style against her, although Ice is also adequate. Then, when she turns off her shield go Weapon style and carve her up as fast as possible.

Edit: Looks like you got it.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    WingoWingo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I killed her disgustingly quickly by sending in the Black Whirlwind and whacking here to death with flying stones (Stone Immortal). She couldn't even get past the big guy- he was so big he kept blocking her path. So she started blocking... was knocked out of it... got stones in her face... was knocked around again as a result of that... and so on.

Seriously, the battle before with the two jade golems was MUCH harder. You actually had to dodge.

Wingo on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, Jia is not too hard if you use a couple of simple tricks. Those Jade Golems are absolute bitches, though. Hope you have high focus, otherwise you're fucked!

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I give up with her. Fucker can heal. I'm starting the game over again on the easiest difficulty. Nothing is worth this tedium.

Couscous on
  • Options
    SoundsPlushSoundsPlush yup, back. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have no idea why anyone would want to play this game on Jade Master.

Difficulties based strictly on scaling numbers are almost always boring difficulties.

SoundsPlush on
    s7Imn5J.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I give up with her. Fucker can heal. I'm starting the game over again on the easiest difficulty. Nothing is worth this tedium.

Another one bites the dust! Nobody will ever see the super-secret Jade Master ending!

...Because there is literally no reward for playing through on Jade Master.

Pure tedium and agony, see what I mean?

Rainfall on
  • Options
    FoefallerFoefaller Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rainfall wrote: »

Another one bites the dust! Nobody will ever see the super-secret Jade Master ending!

...Because there is literally no reward for playing through on Jade Master.

Pure tedium and agony, see what I mean?

...Not even a message that says "Your a masochist, seek help!"?

Foefaller on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man, you guys are gluttons for punishment.

I gave up after I fought that rival and he used his zomg illegal magic.

Far, far too long and tedious and not enough payoff. Has anyone ever finished it on Jade Master?

Orca on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I got through a very large chunk of it, but I gave up when I realized that fighting ghosts simply WAS NOT FUN!

I think it was the Bull Demon that sealed my hatred of Jade Master mode. I just couldn't bother finishing the rest of it.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The longer I play games, I can't understand why somepeople intentionally enjoy crushing their nuts with whatever insane difficulty is availible. Sure, it makes you hardcore if you win, but it's not worth it if you start getting hugely frustrated with a game you actually like.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    cous in the options menu you can just turn down the difficulty for that fight

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    The longer I play games, I can't understand why somepeople intentionally enjoy crushing their nuts with whatever insane difficulty is availible. Sure, it makes you hardcore if you win, but it's not worth it if you start getting hugely frustrated with a game you actually like.

Harder difficulties are sometime actually challenging instead of being pure bullshit that simply makes damage done negligible while making done done to you jacked up.

Couscous on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    there's at least one fight later in the game that I think might literally be impossible on jade master mode

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I really wish that game developers would find another way to turn up the difficulty without turning enemies into fucking brickwalls with near infinite HP's.

Silpheed on
  • Options
    BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still don't know if I love or hate this game. It's the first one I ever got to work on, so it'll always have a spot spot in my mind, but at the same time, I got completely burned out on it during development. It's been around 5 years, and I still haven't even unwrapped the cellophane from the copies I have on my shelf :(

Also, 2.5 hours for a full playthrough! Go me

Birudojin on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    2.5 hours for a full playthrough? ...how is that even possible?!

Orca on
  • Options
    BirudojinBirudojin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You get very very good at learning things like it's 30 seconds faster if you go one way or the other while in the lotus temple and you hit the T junction with 2 things you have to do. Likewise, you can't actually *read* anything - you can only mash through it as fast as possible.

Birudojin on
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dyscord wrote: »
    there's at least one fight later in the game that I think might literally be impossible on jade master mode

I can guarantee you that there are no fights in jade master mode that are actually impossible.
    I've had to go through every single fight in that difficulty to prove it.

There are a couple that are really hard, but not impossible.

Juc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So, is there a way I can keep my new asian Darth Vader without pissing half of my compatriots?

Jesus Christ, guy is stuck in armor for twenty years and everyone flips the fuck out I want to use his talents, for like, ONE DAY to kill an evil god like Emperor?

I would complain, but again, it's standard Bioware good/evil choices. What's stupid is you get penalized for doing something that is awesome. You take a ghostly kung fu Darth Vader assassin and you can redeem him and help you take down the big bad. It says as much in his ending, how is that not awesome? But noooo, MORE DARKSIDE POINTS FOR YOU.

At the very least, can you spare your love interest somehow? The only one who really seems upset is Dawn Star, and I mean, come on, who chooses her over Fox? Sky mildly annoyed, Hou is rather pleasent about it.

manwiththemachinegun on
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At the very least, can you spare your love interest somehow? The only one who really seems upset is Dawn Star, and I mean, come on, who chooses her over Fox? Sky mildly annoyed, Hou is rather pleasent about it.
    Yeah, you can, but only if you converted them to the Closed Fist style of thinking.

BTW, if you did the M!PC/Dawn Star/Silk Fox threesome romance thing, Dawn Star reverts to Open Palm after it happens, so you'll only get to keep Silk Fox.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Biro, Juc, I bow down to your insanely superior skills. Jeezis.

Orca on
  • Options
    JucJuc EdmontonRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Orca wrote: »
    Biro, Juc, I bow down to your insanely superior skills. Jeezis.

Money is a good motivator :P

But to be fair I think it took me about 18-27 hours of attempts to beat the final arena fight as black whirlwind. the final arena fight using him is probably the hardest one in the game.
    You can't get hit a single time or you will lose, if I recall correctly. (my memory might be a little cloudy since I haven't had to do the fight in about 3 and a half years)
    The fight I'm thinking about has horse demons at one point, if you take a single hit prior to or during the fight with them you couldn't win due to how they damage you when you hit them. 1 hit was all it took to move it from almost killing you when you were done with those horse demons, to actually killing you as you attempted the horse demons.

The fights with the stone demons was pretty tough too, but at worst that was only a few hours of attempts.

The goal for that difficulty was to make the game very very tough without making it literally impossible.
    I think it hit that goal pretty soundly.

and yeah biro has me soundly beat for speed runs, the best I could ever do was 2 hours 45 min :(

Juc on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    So that difficulty by design turns it into something akin to a SHMUP of the bullet hell variety. That explains why it ate me for breakfast.

I feel like less of a wimp for giving up on it so quickly now.

Orca on