Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

1868789919294

Posts

  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Well this season they actually remembered to try not to murder the people so that's cool. So far this season has been really good. It's unnerving.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I want them to open the cage only because I want to see more Mark Pellegrino Lucifer.

    Good actor, but I don't think there's anything left of that vessel for Lucifer to inhabit unless they just handwave the fact that he was disintegrating at the end.

    I think they might be willing to brush that off for a fan-favorite actor, which is honestly okay by me. IIRC Abaddon's body was destroyed by Sam, but people liked Alaina Huffman so they just had her body restored in a magic demon ritual.

    Harry Dresden
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    I was able to restore the vessel and modify it to my liking in the cage or something could work.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    I'm trying to choke my way through season 8, and I can't say I'm feeling it. After season 7 Sam I'd hoped that season 8 Sam wouldn't be terrible but they always seem to find a new flavor of douche for him to play. They probably should have killed him off and replaced him with Benny TBH.

    (if nothing else, it would put that haircut out of its misery. Oh, and just how exactly did Dean get such a fabulous tan in Puragtory?)

    Regina Fong on
  • RamiRami Registered User regular
    Sorry did you just say
    they killed Death?

    So glad I threw my arms up and walked away after s7.

    Steam / Xbox Live: WSDX NNID: W-S-D-X 3DS FC: 2637-9461-8549
    sig.gif
    Gnome-InterruptusDiannaoChong
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Rami wrote: »
    Sorry did you just say
    they killed Death?

    So glad I threw my arms up and walked away after s7.

    Season 8 has had some OK individual episodes so far. For what that's worth. The same is true of 6 and 7 though. I'll probably keep slogging through it for the occasional funny/good monster of the week episodes but there's really no denying that the show played out its 'mythology' at the end of season 5. Killing death sounds silly though. I clearly haven't reached that point in the series yet.

  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Re: Death
    IIRC, Dean had grabbed Death's Scythe and used it on him as Death was offering to transport him far away so the mark of Cain wouldn't cause him to kill his brother.

    I still watch out of sheer inertia at this point (my partner still likes the show). The current season is comparatively (to anything else after season 5) good though.

    The biggest "miss" to me was the Leviathans. If you are going to introduce Eldritch monsters at least take the time to do them right.

    ArbitraryDescriptorKashaarkaceyp
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Nobody wrote: »
    Re: Death
    IIRC, Dean had grabbed Death's Scythe and used it on him as Death was offering to transport him far away so the mark of Cain wouldn't cause him to kill his brother.

    I still watch out of sheer inertia at this point (my partner still likes the show). The current season is comparatively (to anything else after season 5) good though.

    The biggest "miss" to me was the Leviathans. If you are going to introduce Eldritch monsters at least take the time to do them right.

    I felt like playing the leviathans as humorous over-the-top corporate bad guys was just a bit too silly personally. I get what they were going for, but it was a swing and a miss for me. It also contrasted with Bobby's death and subsequent ghost storyline in a very not good way. Evaporating the pathos from what should have been some of the most emotional episodes.

    Nobody
  • NobodyNobody Registered User regular
    Yeah, functionally the Leviathans weren't any different from Demons other than the fact that were much harder to kill.

    Harry Dresden
  • kaceypkaceyp we stayed bright as lightning we sang loud as thunderRegistered User regular
    Yeah, that was disappointing to me. I can understand wanting to do the corporate parody thing, but they ended up feeling mostly the same as demons.

    You remember that bit when they first took Cas over? "This is gonna be fun," I think? I wanted them to stay in that place. Just have the Leviathans be completely alien, insane, ancient monsters tearing through everything because they can, with not a single fuck to give.

  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    Supernatural post-s5 spent too much time trying to be Buffy, forgetting that they're not the same show and never had the same tone.

    I wish they would've gone whole-hog with tyrannical god-Cas for a season, then had the cthulhuesque Leviathans take over after.

    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Cas as God was simply too wonderful for the Supernatural universe. The other shoe had to fall real quick on that one.

  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Ahahahahaha, that elevator scene :D

    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

    I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    Very fillerish episode. Not bad, but y'know.

    Also, I laughed pretty hard at that final scene.
    Sam - I think we need to open the Cage.

    Dean - No, we will not open the Cage.

    Sam - Okay, we won't open the Cage. ...I opened the Cage.

    pod_banner.jpg
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Hmm well, I was ambivalent about parts of season 8 but the finale was really good.

  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Hmm well, I was ambivalent about parts of season 8 but the finale was really good.

    I disagree a lot, since it did the "we're brothers and we'll always be together" trope for the billionth time and it set up the unprecedented suck that was season 9.

    Season 9 is the one where I slogged it through to the end and then just gave the fuck up.

    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
  • AstharielAsthariel The Book Eater Registered User regular
    I gave up at the end of season 5.

    I don't know, if i should respect the conviction of people that still watch it, or be terrified, considering all negative opinions about pretty much every season beyond 5.

    "So in the Second Season of Prison Break, They're Already Broken Out of Prison, But the Name Works Once You Realize That Society Is a Prison."

    Steam Profile
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Asthariel wrote: »
    I gave up at the end of season 5.

    I don't know, if i should respect the conviction of people that still watch it, or be terrified, considering all negative opinions about pretty much every season beyond 5.

    The thing about the first five seasons is that it felt like it was culminating into a thing, which was revealed to be a fight to the death between an archangel and the devil with humanity as colaterol damage.

    After that, it just kind of feels like a combination of ridiculous power creep (the brothers don't bat an eye at demons by the end of season 7) and a lack of overarching plot.

    And hey, that would be fine if the stories still felt fresh and interesting, but at this point I'm tired of seeing sam and dean go through yet another trumped up trust issues arc that is ultimately overcome by their love for each other.

    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    Aren't demons supposed to be quite physically strong? I know they're hunters and all but I don't feel like they should be winning fist fights. Especially 3 on 1 fights.

  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Aren't demons supposed to be quite physically strong? I know they're hunters and all but I don't feel like they should be winning fist fights. Especially 3 on 1 fights.

    Good thing they have a trunk full of angel blades.

    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Hmm well, I was ambivalent about parts of season 8 but the finale was really good.

    I disagree a lot, since it did the "we're brothers and we'll always be together" trope for the billionth time and it set up the unprecedented suck that was season 9.

    Season 9 is the one where I slogged it through to the end and then just gave the fuck up.

    Trope? I think not. That's called a "central theme". It would be weird and atonal if it weren't invoked in climactic scenes between the two brothers.

  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    Magus` wrote: »
    Aren't demons supposed to be quite physically strong? I know they're hunters and all but I don't feel like they should be winning fist fights. Especially 3 on 1 fights.

    Originally, then they become weaker and weaker and more stupid. They're not simply physical tough, they're got decent telekinesis.

    Harry Dresden on
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Hmm well, I was ambivalent about parts of season 8 but the finale was really good.

    I disagree a lot, since it did the "we're brothers and we'll always be together" trope for the billionth time and it set up the unprecedented suck that was season 9.

    Season 9 is the one where I slogged it through to the end and then just gave the fuck up.

    Trope? I think not. That's called a "central theme". It would be weird and atonal if it weren't invoked in climactic scenes between the two brothers.

    I get that it's about them as brothers, but when ultimately you are just retreading the same ground over and over again it just winds up being super stale.

    Richy wrote: »
    But I think the resistance I’m getting more has to do with “rawr! Loklar said it! Rage!” than anything else.

    No, it has to do with the fact that you're done nothing but throw lies, blatant flasehoods, and downright dumb statements at us so far.
  • SniperGuySniperGuy Also known as Dohaeris Registered User regular
    Hey that ghost was actually scary this episode. And they solved the problem the good old fashioned way.
    One brother burns the thing while the other gets his ass kicked by the ghost as a distraction.

    Definitely a filler episode, but still pretty good. The sheriff is hilarious too.

    Twitch Streaming W/TH/F and more
    Dohaeris210 on PSN / SniperGuy710 on Xbone Live
    Sometimes, I make YouTube videos
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Gaddez wrote: »
    Hmm well, I was ambivalent about parts of season 8 but the finale was really good.

    I disagree a lot, since it did the "we're brothers and we'll always be together" trope for the billionth time and it set up the unprecedented suck that was season 9.

    Season 9 is the one where I slogged it through to the end and then just gave the fuck up.

    Trope? I think not. That's called a "central theme". It would be weird and atonal if it weren't invoked in climactic scenes between the two brothers.

    I get that it's about them as brothers, but when ultimately you are just retreading the same ground over and over again it just winds up being super stale.

    I get that believe me, I do. It's perfectly OK to be done with the show because it's gotten repetitive.

  • HeartlashHeartlash Registered User regular
    It seems kind of obvious that
    the person who fights the Darkness is Lucifer, the bringer of Light.

    This season has been much better than it has any right to be.

    My indie mobile gaming studio: Elder Aeons
    Our first game is now available for free on Google Play: Frontier: Isle of the Seven Gods
    SniperGuyKashaarNobodyDiannaoChongN1tSt4lker
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular
    Yeah, this season so far has had pretty great, quality writing. Here's hoping they keep it up :)

    Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

    I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    I hate this season.

    Its giving me hope for better writing and story, and I know its just going to stab me in the heart.

    that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I hate this season.

    Its giving me hope for better writing and story, and I know its just going to stab me in the heart.

    I'm at a weird crossroads where if the show gets good again, my OCD will make me watch all the between seasons to catch up to watch the new stuff.... so I almost don't want it to get good again, because I don't want to slog through all those bad episodes.

    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I hate this season.

    Its giving me hope for better writing and story, and I know its just going to stab me in the heart.

    I'm at a weird crossroads where if the show gets good again, my OCD will make me watch all the between seasons to catch up to watch the new stuff.... so I almost don't want it to get good again, because I don't want to slog through all those bad episodes.

    God, no, why would you do that to yourself.

    If you want to kill yourself theres easier ways to go about it

    that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    edited November 2015
    "Baby" was ridiculously good.
    And God finally makes an appearance post season 5, unless you count the Chuck cameo at the end of "Fan Fiction".

    Regina Fong on
    Myiagros
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    So anyway I'm all caught up on SPN now and I got to thinking. In the second episode this season that reaper Billie shows up at the end and gives a dire threat to Sam, about how as punishment for killing Death, Sam and Dean will be taken to an "emptiness" after they die, which supposedly nothing can escape from. The threat seemed reasonable on its face; reapers be pissed, yo.

    But she also made that comment about being "biblically unclean" which was the clue that Sam needed to save himself from the sickness. Furthermore she phrased her threat very specifically as being a "message" which is a turn of phrase that seems to keep cropping up in relation to the Darkness.

    I'm thinking that the "emptiness" which the reapers threatened to chuck Sam and Dean into is the place that the Darkness needs to be banished to in order to stop her. Which means that Billie's threat was really the first and possibly most important "message" that the brothers were sent this season.

    Whether I'm wrong or not, that particular scene had too much gravity to be a throw away thing that will never be revisited.

    fugacityArbitraryDescriptor
  • LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    So I just started watching the current season, currently watching episode 2, and this shows inability to follow its own cannon is infuriating. I reaper just showed up and told Sam that the whole coming back from the dead thing the Winchesters do is over, that Death allowed it because he thought it was amusing. NO HE DIDNT!!! He said it was freaking annoying several times because of all the extra work it caused him. He even made one of the brothers promise to stop doing it in exchange for something (I can't remember what), and they haven't done it since that I can recall. Hell dimensions and mostly dead yes, but they haven't actually died and come back.

    Is it just lazy writing or do the writers have no respect for their viewers anymore? Or are they just that awful at their jobs that they can't be bothered to have watched all of the episodes of their own damn show?

  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So I just started watching the current season, currently watching episode 2, and this shows inability to follow its own cannon is infuriating. I reaper just showed up and told Sam that the whole coming back from the dead thing the Winchesters do is over, that Death allowed it because he thought it was amusing. NO HE DIDNT!!! He said it was freaking annoying several times because of all the extra work it caused him. He even made one of the brothers promise to stop doing it in exchange for something (I can't remember what), and they haven't done it since that I can recall. Hell dimensions and mostly dead yes, but they haven't actually died and come back.

    Is it just lazy writing or do the writers have no respect for their viewers anymore? Or are they just that awful at their jobs that they can't be bothered to have watched all of the episodes of their own damn show?

    What Death said to the Winchesters and what he may have said to his reapers are not necessarily the same thing.

    The only things we really knew about him are that he was definitely older and more powerful than the other horsemen, he liked junk food, and he wanted to have sex with Dean.

    KashaarN1tSt4lker
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So I just started watching the current season, currently watching episode 2, and this shows inability to follow its own cannon is infuriating. I reaper just showed up and told Sam that the whole coming back from the dead thing the Winchesters do is over, that Death allowed it because he thought it was amusing. NO HE DIDNT!!! He said it was freaking annoying several times because of all the extra work it caused him. He even made one of the brothers promise to stop doing it in exchange for something (I can't remember what), and they haven't done it since that I can recall. Hell dimensions and mostly dead yes, but they haven't actually died and come back.

    Is it just lazy writing or do the writers have no respect for their viewers anymore? Or are they just that awful at their jobs that they can't be bothered to have watched all of the episodes of their own damn show?

    What Death said to the Winchesters and what he may have said to his reapers are not necessarily the same thing.

    The only things we really knew about him are that he was definitely older and more powerful than the other horsemen, he liked junk food, and he wanted to have sex with Dean.

    That's patently false.

    He just wanted to hold Dean close and tenderly stroke his hair.

    that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So I just started watching the current season, currently watching episode 2, and this shows inability to follow its own cannon is infuriating. I reaper just showed up and told Sam that the whole coming back from the dead thing the Winchesters do is over, that Death allowed it because he thought it was amusing. NO HE DIDNT!!! He said it was freaking annoying several times because of all the extra work it caused him. He even made one of the brothers promise to stop doing it in exchange for something (I can't remember what), and they haven't done it since that I can recall. Hell dimensions and mostly dead yes, but they haven't actually died and come back.

    Is it just lazy writing or do the writers have no respect for their viewers anymore? Or are they just that awful at their jobs that they can't be bothered to have watched all of the episodes of their own damn show?

    What Death said to the Winchesters and what he may have said to his reapers are not necessarily the same thing.

    The only things we really knew about him are that he was definitely older and more powerful than the other horsemen, he liked junk food, and he wanted to have sex with Dean.

    That's patently false.

    He just wanted to hold Dean close and tenderly stroke his hair.

    We'll never know for sure now!

    :(

  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So I just started watching the current season, currently watching episode 2, and this shows inability to follow its own cannon is infuriating. I reaper just showed up and told Sam that the whole coming back from the dead thing the Winchesters do is over, that Death allowed it because he thought it was amusing. NO HE DIDNT!!! He said it was freaking annoying several times because of all the extra work it caused him. He even made one of the brothers promise to stop doing it in exchange for something (I can't remember what), and they haven't done it since that I can recall. Hell dimensions and mostly dead yes, but they haven't actually died and come back.

    Is it just lazy writing or do the writers have no respect for their viewers anymore? Or are they just that awful at their jobs that they can't be bothered to have watched all of the episodes of their own damn show?

    What Death said to the Winchesters and what he may have said to his reapers are not necessarily the same thing.

    The only things we really knew about him are that he was definitely older and more powerful than the other horsemen, he liked junk food, and he wanted to have sex with Dean.

    That's patently false.

    He just wanted to hold Dean close and tenderly stroke his hair.

    We'll never know for sure now!

    :(

    As long as pestilence, famine, war and death exist in the world, so too will the horsemen.

    Unless they throw their previously established canon out, again. Which isn't unheard of.

    that's it, I'm shutting this entire forum down, everyone thank buttcleft
  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    LostNinja wrote: »
    So I just started watching the current season, currently watching episode 2, and this shows inability to follow its own cannon is infuriating. I reaper just showed up and told Sam that the whole coming back from the dead thing the Winchesters do is over, that Death allowed it because he thought it was amusing. NO HE DIDNT!!! He said it was freaking annoying several times because of all the extra work it caused him. He even made one of the brothers promise to stop doing it in exchange for something (I can't remember what), and they haven't done it since that I can recall. Hell dimensions and mostly dead yes, but they haven't actually died and come back.

    Is it just lazy writing or do the writers have no respect for their viewers anymore? Or are they just that awful at their jobs that they can't be bothered to have watched all of the episodes of their own damn show?

    What Death said to the Winchesters and what he may have said to his reapers are not necessarily the same thing.

    The only things we really knew about him are that he was definitely older and more powerful than the other horsemen, he liked junk food, and he wanted to have sex with Dean.

    That's patently false.

    He just wanted to hold Dean close and tenderly stroke his hair.

    We'll never know for sure now!

    :(

    As long as pestilence, famine, war and death exist in the world, so too will the horsemen.

    Unless they throw their previously established canon out, again. Which isn't unheard of.

    People didn't stop dying just because Death was killed, but the personification of Death is apparently quite dead (at least currently).

    And if they start resurrecting characters Death will have to get in line behind Gabe, Bobby, and Benny.

  • Magus`Magus` Registered User regular
    Death was presented as far too savvy a character to die so easily. Then again, who knows at this point.

  • Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    Magus` wrote: »
    Death was presented as far too savvy a character to die so easily. Then again, who knows at this point.

    In hindsight, handing Dean his scythe and then threatening Sam was extremely stupid. If he had continued to play his starting hand - that he was just here to help and the decision was all up to Dean, it might have worked. But he got pushy.

Sign In or Register to comment.