As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• Options
    Professor PhobosProfessor Phobos Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Cade wrote: »
    To be fair the boys work in hunter circles so they probably interacted with someone another hunter knew and got found that way. I mean before that they didn't have to hide from any hunters so why worry about them.
    I always found it strange that the hunters were so disorganized. Seems like there's a decent number of them out there, but they tend to operate alone or as duos and don't have any way to share information or co-ordinate efforts.

Granted, a lot of them seem like borderline psychopaths, but you'd think some of the more sane ones would see the benefits of working together more often, sharing information and the like. Heck, just keep in touch via e-mail and have a central database so you can easily look up what you're hunting.

Other than the roadhouse, we've never seen anything that resembled an organization of hunters.

I think it's probably a deliberate choice to keep an atmosphere of lone heroes. Realistically, you'd probably have one or more secret societies, government conspiracies, etc, also doing some hunting.

Professor Phobos on
  • Options
    TracerBulletTracerBullet Spaceman Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    To be fair the boys work in hunter circles so they probably interacted with someone another hunter knew and got found that way. I mean before that they didn't have to hide from any hunters so why worry about them.
    I always found it strange that the hunters were so disorganized. Seems like there's a decent number of them out there, but they tend to operate alone or as duos and don't have any way to share information or co-ordinate efforts.

Granted, a lot of them seem like borderline psychopaths, but you'd think some of the more sane ones would see the benefits of working together more often, sharing information and the like. Heck, just keep in touch via e-mail and have a central database so you can easily look up what you're hunting.

Other than the roadhouse, we've never seen anything that resembled an organization of hunters.

I think it's probably a deliberate choice to keep an atmosphere of lone heroes. Realistically, you'd probably have one or more secret societies, government conspiracies, etc, also doing some hunting.

Also, just think back to when Dean met his grandfather.

Hunters don't like other hunters. And honestly? Who can blame them, look at the sort of people who become hunters.

TracerBullet on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Also, just think back to when Dean met his grandfather.

Hunters don't like other hunters. And honestly? Who can blame them, look at the sort of people who become hunters.

Also, it's been pretty well established that Sam and Dean and Papa Winchester were pretty much the best hunters, at least in the continental US.

Most of the other hunters seemed to focus on a specific type of demon, because it killed their family or something, but didn't know jack about other types of demons.

It makes sense that they're spread out because they're only tracking and hunting one or two different kinds of monsters, as where the Winchesters went after anything evil that moved.

Edit: The thought of a government run monster hunting agency makes me think of the Initiative on Buffy, and I would hate to see that on Supernatural.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    LoserForHireXLoserForHireX Philosopher King The AcademyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

Also, how unsecure would a database be?

Most hunters aren't a match for demons or anything else and get their shit tore up all the time. How long before a big organization sprung a leak? Look how much damage they are able to do to the community with just a few people compromised (in season...3? When the bad guys find the roadhouse).

Hunters are outnumbered against enemies with way more power and tons more experience. The whole dynamic would change.

LoserForHireX on
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to give into it." - Oscar Wilde
    "We believe in the people and their 'wisdom' as if there was some special secret entrance to knowledge that barred to anyone who had ever learned anything." - Friedrich Nietzsche
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

You kind of nailed it really, the problems is a lot of Hunters are likely borderline psychopaths due to one reason or another, either because of who they are or because of some incident that made them hunters in the first place. We've seen more then enough hunters to know that even though they're trying to do good in the world the hunters themselves are not exactly pure people and most of which have tons of faults or are crazy.

Sure some of these people are likely going to band together or collect together in a spot like the Roadhouse to trade info, find out some stuff but for the most part they want to keep to themselves and do what they think is right, they usually don't want anyone else screwing it up since most hunters probably think they know what is the right thing to do even if the other guy says differently.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Carry on my Wayward big eyed Son
    The official Japanese website of the Warner Brothers production company has opened a section on Thursday to reveal the Supernatural The Animation project, which will launch from Japan in January of 2011. The "special project" will tie into the American live-action television series Supernatural. The website promises that the new project will be an animated work that no one has seen before. It does not indicate whether the project will be Japanese-animated or not.

The live-action series follows the Winchester brothers Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) as they hunt creatures and other supernatural phenomena across the American landscape. The series premiered on The WB network in the United States in 2005, and it will enter its sixth season on The WB's replacement network, The CW, this fall. The fifth season of the live-action series will ship in Japan this fall, along with the Blu-ray versions of the second through fourth seasons.

Warner Brothers has been involved in several Japanese-animated projects based on American entertainment properties, including The Animatrix, Batman: Gotham Knight, Halo Legends, and most recently, Thundercats. The studio has also acquired the film rights for Akira, Death Note, and Ninja Scroll, and has reportedly been in talks for the rights to the Bleach manga.

So.......who saw that coming.

Cade on
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    When we already have the whole Bromance fanfiction out there I shudder to think what a Japanese-animated series will spawn.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    WashWash Sweet Christmas Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Aegis wrote: »
    When we already have the whole Bromance fanfiction out there I shudder to think what a Japanese-animated series will spawn.

Sam and Dean hunt the Tentacle Monster

Wash on
    gi5h0gjqwti1.jpg
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This will not end well and I will not watch it

Warcry on
  • Options
    LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Updates!
    n0024930l.jpg

"Update: The Cinema Today website reports that MADHOUSE is the acclaimed anime studio (Death Note, Paprika, Vampire Hunter D, Summer Wars) that is producing the previously announced Supernatural the Animation project for Warner Brothers. According to the website, this is the world's first animated project from a Japanese anime studio that is based on a popular overseas drama series. Shigeyuki Miya (Lupin III: Green vs Red, Aoi Bungaku Series, Buzzer Beater) and Atsuko Ishizuka (Aoi Bungaku Series) are co-directing the project.

Warner Home Video will release Supernatural the Animation on Blu-ray and DVD in Japan on January 12, 2011. The original live-action series follows the Winchester brothers Sam (Jared Padalecki) and Dean (Jensen Ackles) as they hunt creatures and other supernatural phenomena across the American landscape. The series premiered on The WB network in the United States in 2005, and it will enter its sixth season on The WB's replacement network, The CW, this fall.

Image © 2010 Warner Bros. Entertainment, Inc.

Update: The animeanime.jp website reports that the anime will be a 22-episode season that will cover the storyline of the live-action version's first two seasons. The first volume will ship on January 12 with the first two episodes. On February 2, the "Box 1" set will ship with episodes 3 to 12. On April 6, the "Box 2" set will ship with episodes 13 to 22. (There will be a different release schedule for the rental version of the project.)

The anime project will not only remake the best episodes from the live-action version, but also depict original episodes not seen in the live-action version. Those original episodes will include prologues of the Winchester brothers' childhood, anime-only enemies, and episodes featuring secondary characters from the live-action version.

Supernatural creator Eric Kripke is credited as the anime project's creator, and MADHOUSE co-founder Masao Maruyama is serving as executive producer. Naoya Takayama (Night Head, Liar Game) is supervising the series' scripts, and Takahiro Yoshimatsu (Trigun) is designing the characters."

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Superu naturalu.

Bethryn on
    ...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Warcry wrote: »
    This will not end well and I will not watch it

Can I ask why? The studios doing the work are all talented, and have a good range of previous work. Additionally, though this is apparently a full series, the last two projects that did this with a western property, The Matrix and Batman both turned out quite excellent.

I'll admit this is completely out of left field and unexpected, but everything is pointing to this turning out decent to fairly good.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    ReznikReznik Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    What

Fucking anime?

Ugghhhhh why

Anime SPN should be kept to the bowels of deviantart.

Reznik on
    Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Reznik wrote: »
    What

Fucking anime?

Ugghhhhh why

Because WB will think it'll make money and MadHouse is an excellent studio with a long history of quality work and a history of dealing with Western properties?

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just hope they get padelecki and ackles to do the voices.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Just hope they get padelecki and ackles to do the voices.

Jensen Ackles grumbling through heavily-accented Japanese would be spectacular and I would pay several American dollars to watch it.

CptHamilton on
    PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
  • Options
    bloodatonementbloodatonement Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Supernatural Anime Theme Song.

That's what I'm looking forward to most from this news.

bloodatonement on
    Zdy0pmg.jpg
    Steam ID: Good Life
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    Reznik wrote: »
    What

Fucking anime?

Ugghhhhh why

Because WB will think it'll make money and MadHouse is an excellent studio with a long history of quality work and a history of dealing with Western properties?

Disclaimer: I fucking hate anime. A lot (except Miyazaki). Yes, I should probably change my sig/av.

The fact that something so very American is being done in a style so Japanese just... does not work for me, at all.

It's two Kansas boys in a muscle car driving across the states listening to classic rock, shooting ghosts with a sawn off, getting drunk, and getting into ugly fights in ugly places. It is stylistically the opposite of every anime I've ever seen.

and wtf Dean's face in that promo picture

Christ, I'm just picturing a Tetsuo/Kaneda scene

SAMMMYYYYYYY~!
    DEEEEEAAAANNNNN~!
    x20

anyway all I have on this subject is hate and rage so I'll just stop now and silently fume in the background.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Reznik its the perfect show for the japanese, they love american stuff like that I swear. Frankly kind of surprising it took this long.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Preacher wrote: »
    Reznik its the perfect show for the japanese, they love american stuff like that I swear. Frankly kind of surprising it took this long.

Agreed.

Anime has worked pretty well with a lot of American concepts. A lot of the straight to DVD cartoon movies based off of American comics, tv shows, and movies have done well and most are done in an anime style.

Also, even though it was just a black and white outline, the pic shown above didn't look half bad. Hell, I'll give it an episode or two, which is what I did with Supernatural before I was hooked, and I wasn't interested in the least when it started. I didn't get into it until the start of Season 3.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    So a bit more info on the anime is out

Here.

"At the Rising Con Spain 2010, Jensen and Jared confirmed the project and that they'd seen and approved the artwork for Sam and Dean. They also said they would voice the first couple of English language episodes."

Deano.jpg

400px-Samanime.jpg

Oh and looks like a certain someone might show up again next season.
    Mitch Pileggi

Cade on
  • Options
    BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'd rather have them not voice any of the episodes if they're not going to do them all. The voice change will most likely annoy the crap out of me.

Bolthorn on
  • Options
    WarcryWarcry I'm getting my shit pushed in here! AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Repeating what I said before. This will not end well.

Warcry on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Yeah I heard about the spoiler potentially becoming a reocurring character, will be interesting to see how they pull that off.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Bionic MonkeyBionic Monkey Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited June 2010
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    I'd rather have them not voice any of the episodes if they're not going to do them all. The voice change will most likely annoy the crap out of me.

Eh, it might just be a contract thing. Like, they've confirmed they'll be voicing the first several episodes, but just need to work out the details for the rest.

At least I hope so.

Bionic Monkey on
    sig_megas_armed.jpg
  • Options
    Gnome-InterruptusGnome-Interruptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I'm actually kinda excited for the Supernatural anime.

Not that the show ever really skimped, but they will be able to fully show all of the monsters with the anime that they never really could with the show.

Gnome-Interruptus on
    steam_sig.png
    MWO: Adamski
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Not that the show ever really skimped, but they will be able to fully show all of the monsters with the anime that they never really could with the show.

Yeah, they could actually fight a Cthulhu level threat like everyone wants.

And imagine how much better the Lucifer/Michael fight would have been.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone who knows Madhouse's works recognize the character designer by the art? It looks familiar, but I don't think it's the guy who's done the designs for, say, Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust or the Highlander anime

Lanz on
    waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • Options
    AzegorothAzegoroth Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Lanz wrote: »
    Does anyone who knows Madhouse's works recognize the character designer by the art? It looks familiar, but I don't think it's the guy who's done the designs for, say, Vampire Hunter D : Bloodlust or the Highlander anime

Takahiro Yoshimatsu (Trigun) is designing the characters.
    According to the first article about this.
    Edit:Link to a page on aan about him

Azegoroth on
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited June 2010

Yeah, they could actually fight a Cthulhu level threat like everyone wants.

And imagine how much better the Lucifer/Michael fight would have been.

Yeah, they could have gone full budget, total CGI on
    Michael grabbing Sam's sleeve and getting pulled into a hole.

takyris on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    I've always wondered what SPN's stunts and effects budget was compared to, say, Buffy

because Buffy fought some powerful shit and things got blown up and wrecked. Even if it didn't always look that good (giant CG snake), they at least tried and there was a sense of scale to the conflicts.

It was okay for SPN at the beginning, but (to me at least) season 5 really came off like 'we don't have the budget for the things we're writing about so everything is kind of lame and subdued'.

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    takyristakyris Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    See, on the other hand, I really liked that we never got to see angels live and in person. The "light shakes the walls" thing, and the way that the angels never did a Star Trek transporter disappear but instead just wing-noised away off-camera really worked for me.

takyris on
  • Options
    JohnDoeJohnDoe Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    takyris wrote: »
    See, on the other hand, I really liked that we never got to see angels live and in person. The "light shakes the walls" thing, and the way that the angels never did a Star Trek transporter disappear but instead just wing-noised away off-camera really worked for me.

It worked for me initially, but then when the showdown happened between Michael and Lucifer in their respective vessels, it was just 2 guys standing around. It didn't do much for the sense of scale.

JohnDoe on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like that they didn't try to scale it up at the end. I think a failed attempt at grand scale would have hurt the finale more than the oddness of its "human" scale.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    TeaSpoonTeaSpoon Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I like that they didn't try to scale it up at the end. I think a failed attempt at grand scale would have hurt the finale more than the oddness of its "human" scale.

The third option is that they did try the grand scale thing and it was awesome. That's what I wanted to see.

TeaSpoon on
  • Options
    SniperGuySniperGuy SniperGuyGaming Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I was more disappointed in the Tenacious D movie fight with Satan. The rock off? I had fully expected angels to fly down from the heavens or something, but they just stand there and play acoustic guitar. At satan. In a parking lot.

I do like the subduedness of Supernatural though. That's always been it's thing. Evil creatures rooted in reality.

SniperGuy on
  • Options
    edited June 2010
    Assorted news

Season 5 DVD/Blu-ray info:
    On September 7, Warner Home Video will release the fifth season of Supernatural, starring Jensen Ackles and Jared Padalecki, on DVD and Blu-Ray. You'll find a list of special features as well as art past this season wrap-up synopsis.

Two brothers and one fallen angel – against all the might of Satan and his army! As the Apocalypse grows closer, threatening to turn Earth into a battlefield soaked with human blood, Sam, Dean and Castiel struggle against daunting odds. New foes arise, including the Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse. Old friends depart, consumed by the fearsome wrath of Hell. Through it all, the Winchesters are targeted by demons and angels alike, who warn that each brother has a special and terrible role to play in the coming devastation. Season Five follows Sam and Dean on their most terrifying journey yet, one that may lead them to the only ally strong enough to defeat the Devil: God.

• Supernatural: Apocalypse Survival Guides – Bobby's Exclusive Video Collection
    • Ghostfacers: The Web Series
    • Producer/Writer Commentary on Episode 4 The End
    • Unaired Scene from Episode 9 The Real Ghostbusters
    • Gag Reel

5o7b6o.jpg

Season 6 promo poster

Assorted Season 6 news
    Question: Can you tell me anything about Supernatural‘s new season? —Bryan

Ausiello: I can’t be certain, but I think I just uncovered a significant clue about the overriding plot of season 6: Sources confirm to me exclusively that X-Files vet Mitch Pileggi is in talks to reprise his role as Sam and Dean’s presumed-dead grandpa on a potentially recurring basis.

---

@SuperWiki I'm at the T2 con in England with Mark Sheppard as one of the guests. He's confirmed that Crowley *is* coming back in S6.

--

Question: Any spoilers on season 6 of Supernatural? —Shira

Ausiello: I hear the show’s fourth episode back — the one directed by Jensen Ackles — will be Bobby-centric and feature a character named Marcy Ward. Described as attractive in a down-to-earth/woman-next-door way, Marcy is a capable homemaker with a crush on her neighbor.

--

"Also, though the network has confirmed that fan favorites Jim Beaver (Bobby) and Misha Collins (Castiel) will be back, they have not said for how many episodes, which could mean some tearjerkers in the early part of the season! One CW publicist has been calculatedly cryptic by saying that the CW and Collins have some big news coming down the pike, which is leaving Twitter and fan forums abuzz with the possibility of some sort of spin-off. Maybe on the web ala Ghostfacers?"

"About season six, Ackles has recently been quoted as saying: "Not being a hunter looks like a different world to Dean. All his life was dedicated to one single task, almost like a voluntary slavery, now it’s time to face the monster of real world. That’s totally new to me, through the acting perspective, and I’ll explore a lot more of Dean’s life, that’s why I’m so excited. A kind of introspective tension, like inside monsters."

Season six will show Sam pulling Dean back into hunting, a role reversal from the pilot six years ago to start the new arc for the brothers. Both men have been changed by recent events and by stopping the apocalypse, and their relationship toward themselves as well as each other is nowhere near the same, either. Be prepared for some tense rides in the Impala this year!"
    (more here)

This last bit is from a forum. I couldn't find where the poster got this from so I'm not sure how accurate it is:

From Eric Kripke

No reappearance of Chuck, or answers re the significance of his last scene.
    A lot of story to be told for Crowley next season.' Hurrah!

From Sera:

'We're going to go from the epic back to a more intimate story."

From Ben Edlund:

Possible comeback for Death.

From Phil Sgriccia:

"The writers have been talking about appearances from the Trickster and the spirits of Jo & Ellen."

Reznik on
    Forget it...
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Yay, Crowley's coming back!

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    We're going from epic to intimate? Did they ever reach epic?

DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    KronusKronus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hey I hear DarkWarrior was not pleased with season 5, who knew!

In other news, all of Reznik's season 6 info is welcome and sounds great. If they can take this new beginning and run with it for a few more seasons, I would be very pleased. It would be disappointing to see them change it up a bit after the planned ending and simply have it fizzle out.

Kronus on