As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

• Regina FongRegina Fong Allons-y, Alonso Registered User regular
    kaceyp wrote: »
    Aw man.
    I'm gonna be disappointed if that's it for Donatello. Maybe she just sucked out his soul and didn't kill him? Why do that whole thing with bringing him in one episode if you're just going to kill him off in one brief scene the next episode?
    I was desperately hoping for a Gabriel resurrection but God just had to smash that little dream to rubble just like my dream of being Wonder Woman.

• JayrichoJayricho Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I've been hoping that someone would just say "You know who'd be a real help right now....Death. But you two just had to do what you two do.".

• MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    Well... if they decide they need to keep upping the ante, no better way than to bring Death back. Buuuut I doubt that will happen.

• RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I have trouble believing Death's actually dead. He's Death. Even if they could kill him, I can't believe he'd go out in such a chump fashion.
    But since Chuck and Amara keep talking about how "in the beginning" it was just them - light and dark, yin and yang, creation and destruction yadda yadda - didn't Death mention that he was as old or possibly older than God? And that one day he'd reap God too?

So I guess either the show forgot about that (which is entirely possible since they're not the best at consistency) or Death was lying OR he actually WILL show up.

RT800 on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    RT800 wrote: »
    I have trouble believing Death's actually dead. He's Death. Even if they could kill him, I can't believe he'd go out in such a chump fashion.
    But since Chuck and Amara keep talking about how "in the beginning" it was just them - light and dark, yin and yang, creation and destruction yadda yadda - didn't Death mention that he was as old or possibly older than God? And that one day he'd reap God too?

So I guess either the show forgot about that (which is entirely possible since they're not the best at consistency) or Death was lying OR he actually WILL show up.
    Or Death figured nothing would ever take him out.

He mentioned that he was 'as old as God, maybe older. Neither of us can remember anymore.' Whatever that means. Amara mentioned that she never knew Death and he didn't know her. So maybe Death wasn't quite as high on the food-chain as he thought he was.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    You two are forgetting that the current staff give no fucks about past continuity or consistency.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »

He mentioned that he was 'as old as God, maybe older. Neither of us can remember anymore.' Whatever that means. Amara mentioned that she never knew Death and he didn't know her. So maybe Death wasn't quite as high on the food-chain as he thought he was.
    Death may have sprang into being as part of sealing Amara away, since killing him removed the mark and broke the seal.

As Amara was weakening, the mark was moving to Sam. Restoring the Mark, and the immortality it brings might cause him to reform due to his inverse phylactery/horcrux relationship with it.

Alternatively, the death of one of the two might just cause that reaper we met earlier to get promoted to reap them.

Alternativelier: Their mutual annihilation (which Chuck indicated would be the result of one of them dying) causes an existential paradox which them to both get locked up instead of dying.

Either way, now that god is back in play, they're probably going to find some way to take both he and Amara off the table for future seasons, either in this one or the next.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular

Death may have sprang into being as part of sealing Amara away, since killing him removed the mark and broke the seal.

As Amara was weakening, the mark was moving to Sam. Restoring the Mark, and the immortality it brings might cause him to reform due to his inverse phylactery/horcrux relationship with it.

Alternatively, the death of one of the two might just cause that reaper we met earlier to get promoted to reap them.

Alternativelier: Their mutual annihilation (which Chuck indicated would be the result of one of them dying) causes an existential paradox which them to both get locked up instead of dying.

Either way, now that god is back in play, they're probably going to find some way to take both he and Amara off the table for future seasons, either in this one or the next.
    Probably, but I would be entirely happy if the season culminated with Chuck saying "Alright, now that's taken care of, I'm off to try orgies. You guys can sort out your own problems without me. Ta!"

• McFodderMcFodder Registered User regular
    Which is why escalating things this far before renewing the show for more seasons seems like a kind of bad idea.

Switch Friend Code: SW-3944-9431-0318
    PSN / Xbox / NNID: Fodder185
    edited May 2016
    While it was improvement over the last bad episodes I saw when I was regular viewer, the Amara confrontation felt...underwhelming in power for beings on that level. More like something I'd expect from Once Upon a Time, not the amazing confrontation in season 5's finale. Which they had to make sure didn't happen, due to budget issues yet never didn't feel like the world ending. I do like Amara, the character - I was starting to take her side in her argument with Chuck God before she killed him.

Harry Dresden on
    McFodder wrote: »
    Which is why escalating things this far before renewing the show for more seasons seems like a kind of bad idea.

Er, The CW gave early renewal notice to all of its programs.

I'm intrigued whatever they're going to do after this since they can't go higher. Though I'd appreciate a focus on de-escalating the threats for a few seasons.

edited May 2016

I'm intrigued whatever they're going to do after this since they can't go higher. Though I'd appreciate a focus on de-escalating the threats for a few seasons.

I have no idea where they're going either, but I suspect if the answer was "nowhere/we have no idea" that they would have written the end as a series finale (which they could have easily done this season).

-edit-

Vampire Diaries could end after this next season though. Kat Graham is leaving so they may pull the plug.

Regina Fong on
  • ReznikReznik Registered User regular

I have no idea where they're going either, but I suspect if the answer was "nowhere/we have no idea" that they would have written the end as a series finale (which they could have easily done this season).

-edit-

Vampire Diaries could end after this next season though. Kat Graham is leaving so they may pull the plug.

SPN has never had anything more than the vaguest idea of where it's going from season to season. Even at the end of season 3 they hadn't figured out how they were getting Dean out of hell.

The show will keep getting renewed until Jared or Jensen call it quits.

Do... Re.... Mi... Ti... La...
    Do... Re... Mi... So... Fa.... Do... Re.... Do...
    Forget it...
    edited May 2016
    Reznik wrote: »

-edit-

SPN has never had anything more than the vaguest idea of where it's going from season to season. Even at the end of season 3 they hadn't figured out how they were getting Dean out of hell.

That's just proof that flying by the seat of your pants can lead to greatness, since Dean stuck in hell produced Castiel.

Regina Fong on

-edit-

That's just proof that flying by the seat of your pants can lead to greatness, since Dean stuck in hell produced Castiel.

I'd debate that, but I have a feeling I'm in a small and bitter minority.

Forget it...
    edited May 2016

-edit-

I'd debate that, but I have a feeling I'm in a small and bitter minority.

Possibly microscopic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a0OboSLKZWM

:D

Regina Fong on
    I didn't mind him in seasons 4 and 5, but the combination of his rabid fanbase (literally the worst) and his increasing uselessness in subsequent seasons just made me hate him.

He's the most blatant example of the writers having no idea what to do with a character but keeping him around solely because he's popular.

Forget it...
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    I didn't mind him in seasons 4 and 5, but the combination of his rabid fanbase (literally the worst) and his increasing uselessness in subsequent seasons just made me hate him.

He's the most blatant example of the writers having no idea what to do with a character but keeping him around solely because he's popular.

He has a purpose now. As Lucifer's host body duh

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA
    skeldare wrote: »

He has a purpose now. As Lucifer's host body duh

Supernatural Writers: Established lore? What's that lol

Forget it...

On the one hand, yes I do get what your complaint is.

On the other hand, it's a show that simply wouldn't exist without the passion of its rabid fan base so the complaint "You guys are fan-ing wrong" is kind of silly.

On the other hand, it's a show that simply wouldn't exist without the passion of its rabid fan base so the complaint "You guys are fan-ing wrong" is kind of silly.

I dunno, angrily yelling "WHERE'S THE ANGEL" every scene he's not in and harassing writers/cast/crew on twitter and at conventions kind of seems like "fan-ing" wrong to me...

Forget it...

I dunno, angrily yelling "WHERE'S THE ANGEL" every scene he's not in and harassing writers/cast/crew on twitter and at conventions kind of seems like "fan-ing" wrong to me...

On the other hand, what sort of program has like 10 conventions a year?

The kind with insane fans. The fandom has actually become a business venture unto itself and it all feeds into itself.

On the other hand, what sort of program has like 10 conventions a year?

The kind with insane fans. The fandom has actually become a business venture unto itself and it all feeds into itself.

I know, that's part of the reason I really detached myself from it even before I stopped liking the show.

The 1st and 2nd conventions in Toronto were great, small, felt like a big nerd family, you could randomly run into the actors in the hotel. Things happened spontaneously at the panels that were different from other panels in other cities. But now, the conventions themselves are scripted, the prices are fucking stupid (over $700 for a gold weekend pass, not including photo ops), the conventions have gotten bigger (in terms of tickets sold) so you get less for your money. Even the merch now just feels like WB/CW went "hey, let's squeeze every last drop out of this fandom". There was absolutely jack shit for SPN merch for the first, like, 7 seasons of the show because the network didn't give a shit, they barely even promoted the show when it was in its prime. But now they realize that SPN fans will buy fucking anything that you slap a pentagram on, so they've started pushing out a ton of crap, and they cranked up all the stupid fandom references on the show to 11. They don't have to put any effort in to get people to bite. It's sad.

Like, obviously a show should leverage its fandom to keep the ball rolling. But there are ways to do it that seem sincere and there are ways that seem very insincere, and ever since about s7 or 8 SPN has very much felt like it's doing the latter.

Forget it...
  • skeldareskeldare Gresham, ORRegistered User regular
    Well that was a finale. I have no idea where they're going next season. I don't think the writers do either.

I guess the only thing for sure is more Men of Letters.

Nintendo Console Codes
    Switch (JeffConser): SW-3353-5433-5137 Wii U: Skeldare - 3DS: 1848-1663-9345
    PM Me if you add me!
    HAIL HYDRA

-edit-

Which is disappointing, since it remains fun despite fading with it's stars leaving. CW needs to keep that on the air, not Supernatural. This is the darkest time line.

skeldare wrote: »
    Well that was a finale. I have no idea where they're going next season. I don't think the writers do either.

I guess the only thing for sure is more Men of Letters.

200_s.gif

fake edit: Spin that shit off, CW.

• ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    edited May 2016
    I'm really pissed.

I wish it'd have ended with

An apocalyptic battle that scoured the land for hundreds of miles all around as god lay dying, his desperate last breath to protect creation is to balance the scales with the death of his sister.

Angels stop being stupid and use their powers to recruit the most powerful witches on earth and poof them to a central location so that they canpour their collective power through Rowena.

Multiple Heavenly Smitings and waves of Demons dense and plentiful enough to blot out the entire sky.

Powerful Demons and Angels, empowered by artifacts..Not hands of god, just powerful artifacts, engaging in close combat

All to pave the way for Lucifer, with the Spear of Longinus, which after a furious battle he managed to drive through her heart.

As the darkness lay dying, god poofs in, takes her hand, and says "I'm truly sorry, I wanted you to be part of all of this..my creation. I never wanted it to end like this.", and uses the last of his strength to ensure they die together, so the scales are not tipped. Angels, Demons and witches combine their efforts to try and contain the turmoil of their deaths at bay, only managing to focus it up wards. Afterall, even though they are all at odds with one another, they want the world safe for their own goals and means.

Start a fade to black, when a high gloss well polished shoe steps into frame. The picture brightens as both the camera adjusts and the light returns to the world.

Slow pan upwards..Its Death (Julian Richings, Because fuck you no one else is Death), with his scythe in hand, and a sad smile on his lips as he reaches down and reaps the light and the darkness, "I always knew this was coming, though I never imagined it would be quite like this"

snap to black.

Fin

series finale

Buttcleft on
    Buttcleft wrote: »
    I'm really pissed.

I wish it'd have ended with

An apocalyptic battle that scoured the land for hundreds of miles all around as god lay dying, his desperate last breath to protect creation is to balance the scales with the death of his sister.

Angels stop being stupid and use their powers to recruit the most powerful witches on earth and poof them to a central location so that they canpour their collective power through Rowena.

Multiple Heavenly Smitings and waves of Demons dense and plentiful enough to blot out the entire sky.

Powerful Demons and Angels, empowered by artifacts..Not hands of god, just powerful artifacts, engaging in close combat

All to pave the way for Lucifer, with the Spear of Longinus, which after a furious battle he managed to drive through her heart.

As the darkness lay dying, god poofs in, takes her hand, and says "I'm truly sorry, I wanted you to be part of all of this..my creation. I never wanted it to end like this.", and uses the last of his strength to ensure they die together, so the scales are not tipped. Angels, Demons and witches combine their efforts to try and contain the turmoil of their deaths at bay, only managing to focus it up wards. Afterall, even though they are all at odds with one another, they want the world safe for their own goals and means.

Start a fade to black, when a high gloss well polished shoe steps into frame. The picture brightens as both the camera adjusts and the light returns to the world.

Slow pan upwards..Its Death (Julian Richings, Because fuck you no one else is Death), with his scythe in hand, and a sad smile on his lips as he reaches down and reaps the light and the darkness, "I always knew this was coming, though I never imagined it would be quite like this"

snap to black.

Fin

series finale
    As much as I've had liked to see it, that isn't possible on CW's budget.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I liked it.
    Everyone was predicting one death or another or both, but the resolution was one of reconciliation. No deaths, both sides just forgiving each other.

Also no idea what will be next, but I sort've hated both those final moments. The resurrection is lame and Flash did it, and I don't think anything significant will come of Sam's moment other than 'aigh, my shoulder.'

H9f4bVe.png
  • MonstyMonsty Registered User regular
    I'm still holding out hope that
    Death shows up one day. Even if it's at the very end of the series to take away whomever needs to go(be it the villains, or Cas, or even the brothers). They can do the old "we thought you were dead" thing, he can just say it was so they would leave him alone. Seems in character to me anyways. :D

edited May 2016
    Well, that was dumb. The resolution was dumb.

Also Supernatural has a bad case of stakes rollercoaster. One week it's "A BATTLE FOR THE FATE OF CREATION ITSELF!", the next it's "SAM AND DEAN CHASE DOWN A PURSE-SNATCHER!"

I swear the whole series should end with the destruction of Earth because Sam slipped and broke his neck in the shower and Dean choked on a ham sandwich.

RT800 on
    The resolution was not "dumb" it was thematically appropriate to have the resolution between
    God and Amara mirror the reconciliation that's happened between Sam and Dean repeatedly throughout the series. That's called good writing.

edited May 2016
    So it's a retread of a theme they've already done over and over and over again.
    With a billion-year-old grudge resolved by a 5-minute pep-talk from Dean.

RT800 on
    So it's a retread of a theme they've already done over and over and over again.
    With a billion-year-old grudge resolved by a 5-minute pep-talk from Dean.

Recurring themes recur. That's kind of the point, yeah?
    Also it was not resolved by Dean. We were shown Amara reacting to what she had done and coming to the realization that she was filled with regret not satisfaction. This was all beautifully acted by Emily Swallow in the park throughout the episode.

Places they could go
    Lucifer is still out there, and they've grudgingly admitted that Michael exists - though every mention of him felt like it had to be pried out with a crowbar - so either of them could come back.

Could be interesting for them to face another human enemy for a while, one with resources and supernatural know-how that rivals theirs. Still haven't seen a good evil cult storyline

Wish they'd left a window for more eldritch abominations to show up. Leviathans were pretty lame on that front.

Out of ideas now!

H9f4bVe.png
  • ButtcleftButtcleft Registered User regular
    Places they could go
    Lucifer is still out there, and they've grudgingly admitted that Michael exists - though every mention of him felt like it had to be pried out with a crowbar - so either of them could come back.

Could be interesting for them to face another human enemy for a while, one with resources and supernatural know-how that rivals theirs. Still haven't seen a good evil cult storyline

Wish they'd left a window for more eldritch abominations to show up. Leviathans were pretty lame on that front.

Out of ideas now!
    Michael is still in the cage.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular
    Places they could go

Out of ideas now!
    Probably be pretty pissed if he found out Dad came home and didn't even say hi.

Places they could go

Out of ideas now!
    Which no one can ever get out of. ;)

Maybe there's a plot-line where Lucifer feels bad about being at odds with his sibling, and is inspired to reconcile the way God and Darkness did and Sam and Dean always do, so he goes to break Michael out, but Michael's all messed up and crazy.

H9f4bVe.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Places they could go

Out of ideas now!
    Which no one can ever get out of. ;)

Maybe there's a plot-line where Lucifer feels bad about being at odds with his sibling, and is inspired to reconcile the way God and Darkness did and Sam and Dean always do, so he goes to break Michael out, but Michael's all messed up and crazy.

Honestly:
    I would be ecstatic if we didn't have anything to do with god, angels, demons, heaven or hell.[/quote]