As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Supernatural]: This is why we can't have nice things, Sam.

1888990919294»

• Harry DresdenHarry Dresden Registered User regular
    LostNinja wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »
    skeldare wrote: »

The good news is Padalecki and Ackles never have to worry about money ever again, they've got permanent job security.

Why did Constantine die but Supernatural gets to live? WHY?

I just wish these guys could be freed up to get other roles.

Constantine failed at making itself an empire, Supernatural succeeded.

Counterpoint: Constantine was stuck on fucking NBC, a network with no loyalty to any of its shows that aren't Law & Order. CW on the other hand is so loyal to its shows that they have way more than their schedule can reasonably handle. They also have a much lower bar for what they consider a success.

If say the CW having built up a solid viewer base of fans of cult like shows played a factor as well, but Supernatural (and The Vampire Diaries later on) was pretty much what brought that about.

Doesn't CW have a lower expectation for ratings, too?

• LostNinjaLostNinja Registered User regular
    That's what I meant by "much lower bar for what they consider a success".

• SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    CW also looks at things outside ratings, like how popular (or at least talked about) a show is on social media.

sig.gif
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    Sorce wrote: »
    Kadoken wrote: »

The good news is Padalecki and Ackles never have to worry about money ever again, they've got permanent job security.

Why did Constantine die but Supernatural gets to live? WHY?

I just wish these guys could be freed up to get other roles.
    Constantine's back. CW is making an animated series on CWSeed starring the dude that played him in the TV show.

Link.

e5ggm8bwcpbx.jpg

...This makes me both happy and concerned mostly because the art style. It's not bad, it looks like it could be a little cheap and reminds me of younger programming. Not that younger programming is inherently bad, I binged Gravity Falls the other day and love Avatar The Last Airbender, but for Constantine something like the Boondocks art style would suit it better.

Kadoken on
  • OptimusZedOptimusZed Registered User regular

Why would the cancel it now? It's already bled whatever viewership it's going to. Whoever is still watching will be watching forever. If it's financially viable now, it'll be that way for the next 20 years if they want it to be.

We're reading Rifts. You should too. You know you want to. Now With Ninjas!

They tried to bury us. They didn't know that we were seeds. 2018 Midterms. Get your shit together.
  • RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    The artwork in that Constantine poster looks about on par with the rest of the DCAU like Batman and Justice League, which were awesome.

RT800 on
  • KadokenKadoken Giving Ends to my Friends and it Feels Stupendous Registered User regular
    edited January 2017
    RT800 wrote: »
    The artwork in that Constantine poster looks about on par with the rest of the DCAU like Batman and Justice League, which were awesome.

I agree they are awesome but it looks off for what I think Hellblazer would look like.

Edit: also, if they got a second chance and don't pick "Hellraiser" by Ozzy as the themesong, I will be very disappointed.

Kadoken on
  • lwt1973lwt1973 King of Thieves SyndicationRegistered User regular
    I thought the latest episode was good. Nice pace and a good twist at the end with Cas.

"He's sulking in his tent like Achilles! It's the Iliad?...from Homer?! READ A BOOK!!" -Handy
  • WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    I liked it, but I don't understand why any of the characters were surprised when Castiel did what he did.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Gawd, I hate Mr. Ketch! Grah! Gyahh!

H9f4bVe.png
  • GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    So I caught the last episode on thursday, first episode I've seen in the better part of a year and a half, and frankly I was not impressed.

Putting aside the way they jobbed out what should have been elite troops who had virtually every advantage or how billy made a deal with them when she should have just said "why should I give you anything when I can just wait for you two to die down here?", the part that was most galling was the ending speech by castiel; it just felt like they were delivering a stream of consciousness from the fan base about how the winchesters could never ever go away.

I really hope the writer for that episode didn't feel good when he handed it in.

• Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    Supernatural will continue until those two guys get tired and want to retire. They seem to have a blast making it so if they are going to keep paying them, why quit?

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• GnizmoGnizmo Registered User regular
    Gaddez wrote: »
    So I caught the last episode on thursday, first episode I've seen in the better part of a year and a half, and frankly I was not impressed.

Putting aside the way they jobbed out what should have been elite troops who had virtually every advantage or how billy made a deal with them when she should have just said "why should I give you anything when I can just wait for you two to die down here?", the part that was most galling was the ending speech by castiel; it just felt like they were delivering a stream of consciousness from the fan base about how the winchesters could never ever go away.

I really hope the writer for that episode didn't feel good when he handed it in.

Frankly I would be surprised if they didn't mow down elite troops at this point. They have gone toe to toe with creatures who have super human strength and come out on top. They literally took on someone with all the power of God and walked away better off for it. Guerilla tactics and taking on people who strictly speaking are better armed is their entire life. The real question is why would anyone who knows who they are ever bother trying to fight them after the long list of would be big bads they have killed with relative ease.

• GaddezGaddez Registered User regular
    Gnizmo wrote: »

Frankly I would be surprised if they didn't mow down elite troops at this point. They have gone toe to toe with creatures who have super human strength and come out on top. They literally took on someone with all the power of God and walked away better off for it. Guerilla tactics and taking on people who strictly speaking are better armed is their entire life. The real question is why would anyone who knows who they are ever bother trying to fight them after the long list of would be big bads they have killed with relative ease.

I'm not surprised they won. I'm surprised that the writers thought it would in anyway be compelling to have 6 humans represent a threat to dean and sam.

And it's still not as insipid as the ending bit with castiel.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    Alright, so we're getting somewhere now.
    British Men of Letters are gathering powerful artifacts and weapons.
    The child of Lucifer is out there in the world.
    We've got two Azazel-level demons out there who are about to take an interest.
    Crowley has Lucifer under lock and key and he's up to something.
    Atlantis is real (this one might not amount to anything, but is still neat).

H9f4bVe.png

I'm not surprised they won. I'm surprised that the writers thought it would in anyway be compelling to have 6 humans represent a threat to dean and sam.

I actually enjoy seeing them take on well trained humans every once in a while. It's a nice reminder of how bad ass they actually are. I don't think anything will ever beat episode in one of the early seasons where SWAT stormed a bank they were holed up in catching a shape shifter, and they managed to beat some up, steal their gear, and sneak out.

I was less enthused when the British Man of Letters guy later was somehow able to kill them all single handed.

Golden Yak wrote: »

I think I missed or forgot about a couple things.
    How is Lucifer back in his original host again (this isn't a bad thing as Mark Peligrino is amazing is the role, I just don't remember how he got there)? And also I must have missed the reference to Atlantis being real.

• ArbitraryDescriptorArbitraryDescriptor changed Registered User regular

I actually enjoy seeing them take on well trained humans every once in a while. It's a nice reminder of how bad ass they actually are. I don't think anything will ever beat episode in one of the early seasons where SWAT stormed a bank they were holed up in catching a shape shifter, and they managed to beat some up, steal their gear, and sneak out.

I was less enthused when the British Man of Letters guy later was somehow able to kill them all single handed.

How is Lucifer back in his original host again (this isn't a bad thing as Mark Peligrino is amazing is the role, I just don't remember how he got there)? And also I must have missed the reference to Atlantis being real.
    Mark Pelegrino is too used up to go topside, but was still a functioning vessel of rare capacity. Presumably Crowley had it pre-imprisoned for when Lucifer inevitably returned to it. (Which was presumably after getting banished from the President).

• never dienever die Registered User regular

Mark Pelegrino is too used up to go topside, but was still a functioning vessel of rare capacity. Presumably Crowley had it pre-imprisoned for when Lucifer inevitably returned to it. (Which was presumably after getting banished from the President).
    Or its a new way to see inside the cage where Lucifer is locked back up, but I feel like it would be a bigger deal if that happened.

As for the Yellow Eyed Demons, I'm surprised it took this long for new ones to show up. I'm glad they are still super-rare and powerful, it was a nice touch that the demon knife didn't work on them. Curious if the angel blades will, considering they can kill archangels.

Though in Supernatural lore, weren't the hell knights the first demons, or were they the demons trained by Cain?

• ArcTangentArcTangent Registered User regular
    never die wrote: »

Or its a new way to see inside the cage where Lucifer is locked back up, but I feel like it would be a bigger deal if that happened.

As for the Yellow Eyed Demons, I'm surprised it took this long for new ones to show up. I'm glad they are still super-rare and powerful, it was a nice touch that the demon knife didn't work on them. Curious if the angel blades will, considering they can kill archangels.

Though in Supernatural lore, weren't the hell knights the first demons, or were they the demons trained by Cain?

Yeah. Men of Letters stuff a couple seasons back said that the knights were the "first-fallen, first-born." Retconnery ho, albeit soft enough for them to just go "That guy was wrong and just guessing."

ztrEPtD.gif
  • KashaarKashaar Low OrbitRegistered User regular

Wait. When did we learn about that last one?

Indie Dev Blog | Twitter | Steam
    Unreal Engine 4 Developers Community.

I'm working on a cute little video game! Here's a link for you.
  • never dienever die Registered User regular
    Kashaar wrote: »

Wait. When did we learn about that last one?
    It's a throwaway line by Crowley when talking about the yellow-eyed demons. He says they were around before Atlantis sunk.

• WhiteZinfandelWhiteZinfandel Your insides Let me show you themRegistered User regular
    This season continues to be pretty solid overall, with the occasional excellent sequence. Episode 11's scene with Dean staring into the mirror and talking to himself actually made me a bit emotional. I absolutely loved the musical sequences at the end of 11 and 13, too.

• see317see317 Registered User regular
    This season continues to be pretty solid overall, with the occasional excellent sequence. Episode 11's scene with Dean staring into the mirror and talking to himself actually made me a bit emotional. I absolutely loved the musical sequences at the end of 11 and 13, too.

Yeah, that hits home really hard if you've had a friend or family member going through dementia.
    Watching a person lose themselves while being cognizant that they're losing themselves is hard shit to watch.

Okay, so, it's been a while? But now this is happening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzd1iE67Gyc

Probably still won't get as dark as Mystery Inc did.

H9f4bVe.png
  • BolthornBolthorn Registered User regular
    Yeah, my wife actually wants to watch that episode even though she gave up on the show entirely I think back in season 9. I doubt it will get her back to watching, but at least it'll be like old times watching Supernatural together again. I haven't been keeping up week to week with the show either. Usually just wait until a lazy weekend and binge to catch up.

That episode was everything I had hoped it would be!

Finally caught up on the show so was able to watch Scoobynaturual. Did end up watching it with the wife. It was pretty fun but I was not expecting the gut punch ending. Overall though we both found it amusing and there were some nice comedy bits.

A bit spoliery for the overall season:
    I like that it took an entire episode to get the blood of a most holy man, which was another episode that I really liked honestly. Then, in Scoobynaturual Cas just shows up and is like "I got the fruit!".

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    Bolthorn wrote: »
    Finally caught up on the show so was able to watch Scoobynaturual. Did end up watching it with the wife. It was pretty fun but I was not expecting the gut punch ending. Overall though we both found it amusing and there were some nice comedy bits.

I like that it took an entire episode to get the blood of a most holy man, which was another episode that I really liked honestly. Then, in Scoobynaturual Cas just shows up and is like "I got the fruit!".

It wasn't easy, though! He had to
    kill most of the djinn, then maybe marry their queen.

• minor incidentminor incident expert in a dying field njRegistered User regular
    I want every episode of Supernatural from now on to start with Cass coming back to the bunker and flippantly summarizing some ridiculous quest he just completed.

Ah, it stinks, it sucks, it's anthropologically unjust
    Bolthorn wrote: »

It wasn't easy, though! He had to
    kill most of the djinn, then maybe marry their queen.

True. I just found it funny that it was just summed up like that. I feel like in the past each artifact would have taken at least 2 episodes to obtain.

Just finished Scoobynatural. This show is really at its best when it goes full camp.