As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Burying my Dad today

StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Social Entropy++
He's been dead for a year, but they're burying his ashes today. It's pretty depressing, and I know his wife/widow is gonna do something to make me feel totally awkward.

So SE++, bury anyone lately?

Share some awkward as hell/sad as balls family stories

tmmysta-sig.png2wT1Q.gifYAH!YAH!STEAMYoutubeMixesPSN: Clintown
Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
Staleghoti on

• ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sorry for your dad but his is a really odd approach to a thread, kiddo.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • StaleghotiStaleghoti Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sometimes you just gotta post

Staleghoti on
    Dear satan I wish for this or maybe some of this....oh and I'm a medium or a large.
  • Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    that's a serious bummer stale

i'm sorry for your loss

Sars_Boy on
    edited April 2010
    I should clarify that he's been dead for a year, and I'm not going to the "wah wah my daddy died" thread.

More of a "crappy family situations that are soul-burningly awkward" thread

Staleghoti on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My mother keeps doing awkward comments about how her parents wont last the whole summer

sorry for your dad, staleghoti

<3

Dadouw on
  • BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I cannot watch the movie Ratatouille because it was the last movie my mother saw and talked about with me the night she died.

Why are you getting the ashes a year after he died?

Brainleech on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    sorry for your loss, staleghoti! i hope chris rock and tracy morgan show up and make it entertaining for you

Garlic Bread on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    why would you bury ashes

doesn't that defeat the whole purpose pf cremation?

Raneados on
  • Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a little curious why the ashes are being buried. I thought the whole point of cremation was not having to maintain a plot?

Centipede Damascus on
  • Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm a little curious why the ashes are being buried. I thought the whole point of cremation was not having to maintain a plot?

no, that's the whole point of being a skit show

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    Brainleech wrote: »
    I cannot watch the movie Ratatouille because it was the last movie my mother saw and talked about with me the night she died.

Why are you getting the ashes a year after he died?

They've been with his wife all this time, I've never seen seen the urn.

Her friends, and my family, and I all felt that it was totally unhealthy for her to be keeping it in the house, and people wanted a place they could go to see his grave and stuff.

After much deliberation she decided to bury the ashes in a local cemetery.

Staleghoti on
  • RaneadosRaneados police apologist you shouldn't have been there, obviouslyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    why would Centipede damascus post

wouldn't that defeat the whole purpose of a raneados post?

Raneados on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    They might just be being interred. A friend of mine's dad's ashes were interred at their family plot a couple years ago, just kinda put up on a fancy shelf in the cemetery protected from the elements.

Abracadaniel on
    edited April 2010
    I'm a little tired of you time travelling just to post my own posts before me, Raneados!!

Centipede Damascus on
    edited April 2010
    Oh and apparently you can get a fine if you "spread the ashes" in certain places.

She was really gung-ho about spreading them, but nobody else wanted that.

The burial thing just came up a few weeks ago, before this they were gonna plant a tree, never heard what came of that plan.

Staleghoti on
    edited April 2010
    I'm a little tired of you time travelling just to post my own posts before me, Raneados!!

make a thread about it

Raneados on
  • MonkeyfeetMonkeyfeet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I take classes on dying

Monkeyfeet on
    sig1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Keith wrote: »

no, that's the whole point of being a skit show

I appreciate this post

Centipede Damascus on
    edited April 2010
    Staleghoti wrote: »
    Oh and apparently you can get a fine if you "spread the ashes" in certain places.

She was really gung-ho about spreading them, but nobody else wanted that.

The burial thing just came up a few weeks ago, before this they were gonna plant a tree, never heard what came of that plan.

al gore

al gore came from that plan

Garlic Bread on
  • Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    A lot of cemeteries have a building where one would store urns. Unlike Smart Hero's example, these are pretty much like lockers that are bolted closed with the name of the person engraved on the cover, and a ring next to it for bouquets of flowers.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • celandinecelandine Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sorry to hear about your dad.

Incidentally I hear there are a lot of irritating rules dealing with how and when you can bury people/spread ashes/etc.

celandine on
    I write about math here:
    http://numberblog.wordpress.com/
    edited April 2010
    my dad's been pretty vocal about his desire to be cremated

he says he doesn't care what we do with the ashes, he'll be dead and he won't care

Centipede Damascus on
    edited April 2010
    Oh I should explain

He was cremated cause his wife was too cheap to get a coffin and bury him.

And she was uber-against burying him last year for some reason. She one of these people who makes a decision, won't budge, but also won't explain why.

Staleghoti on
  • DadouwDadouw Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It seems like you dont really like his wife

Dadouw on
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That sucks stale, sorry for your loss.

Ruby Rhod on
    edited April 2010
    Dadouw wrote: »
    It seems like you dont really like his wife

I used to

then my dad died and now she's pretty loopy, and greedy.

No time to get into that tho, gotta go do this thang.

Staleghoti on
  • AbracadanielAbracadaniel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    celandine wrote: »

Incidentally I hear there are a lot of irritating rules dealing with how and when you can bury people/spread ashes/etc.

STFUD.jpg

Abracadaniel on
  • Vargas PrimeVargas Prime King of Nothing Just a ShowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My grandfather and my fiancee's grandmother both passed away on the same day last week. That was pretty rough.

My grandfather has had Alzheimer's for the better part of the last 10 years, and for the last couple, he's been almost completely checked out, so in a way it was pretty relieving to see him finally peaceful.

I was completely fine until his old navy friends came to give the VFW service at the evening wake. I broke down like a little girl.

Sorry about your dad, Stale, and I hope your (stepmom?) doesn't make you feel odd.

Vargas Prime on
  • T. J. Nutty Nub T. J. Nutty Nub Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Smart Hero wrote: »
    celandine wrote: »

STFUD.jpg

that is also the very first thing I thought

T. J. Nutty Nub on
    edited April 2010
    I know that feeling

my grandpa remarried a few years ago. the lady he married resembles in demeanor a small, frightened bird.

she's afraid of everything, and hates spending money

Centipede Damascus on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know that feeling

my grandpa remarried a few years ago. the lady he married resembles in demeanor a small, frightened bird.

Is she tight?

Bad-Beat on
    edited April 2010
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I know that feeling

Is she tight?

like a tiger

Garlic Bread on
    edited April 2010
    she's eighty-something!

he didn't even have the good sense to find a trophy wife!

Centipede Damascus on
  • Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    3 of my grandparents died when I was real young, so didn't really have many memories of their deaths. My favorite uncle however died a year and a half ago after dealing with a brain tumor for 7 months. I manged to see him before he died; he was bed ridden and crapping in a diaper, unable to talk.

I told him my favorite memory was when he taught me how to make tits using a towel. He laughed and I started crying. It really sucks seeing an awesome 6'4 giant reduced to nothing like that. He looked/acted exactly like George Carlin, just bigger.

Ruby Rhod on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The only funeral I can remember was the burial of our neighbor Don Gangster. That night we had searchlights circling above our house and cops at the end of street keeping an eye on our neighbors house, because the entirety of his gang had come to pay their respects.

Muse Among Men on
  • Bad-BeatBad-Beat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Keith wrote: »
    Bad-Beat wrote: »
    I know that feeling

Is she tight?

like a tiger

phoooooaaarrrrrwwww

Bad-Beat on
    edited April 2010
    The only funeral I can remember was the burial of our neighbor Don Gangster. That night we had searchlights circling above our house and cops at the end of street keeping an eye on our neighbors house, because the entirety of his gang had come to pay their respects.

what are the odds that a guy named Don Gangster was actually a Don Gangster

Raneados on
    edited April 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

he's actually a Pokémon

he can only say Don Gangster

Garlic Bread on
  • Muse Among MenMuse Among Men Suburban Bunny Princess? Its time for a new shtick Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Raneados wrote: »

Nah, he was Don [name]. But he was a gangster, a really old one. 80ish I think, or older. All tatted up and white-mustached and an amputee to boot. I never thought of him as a particularly colorful character when he was alive, he generally liked to sit and sun himself and his cats, but it wasn't as if I was really allowed over there anyway, though we had good relations with the family. But being a gangster from the 1940s (zoot suits and everything I suspect), he must have had some great stories.

Muse Among Men on
    edited April 2010
    you should have been friends with him and "gotten taken care of"

meaning $$$ not death

Raneados on