As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Consumers To Apple: Fuck You

• HappylilElfHappylilElf Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Kongo wrote: »
    Now that's the way to shut me down! Well played, sir. Well played.

I was being serious. Your scholarly devotion to the early days of computing combined with posting a keyboard as a visual aid stuck me as adorable.

I guess you're a little defensive though =\

HappylilElf on
  • AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, I just watched the conference video. I missed it live because I work nights, so I just woke up.

Wow. Steve Jobs doesn't know good PR from a hole in the ground.

"Lots of phone companies have this problem."
    "Only a few people are having this problem."
    "Lots of people are buying this phone anyway."
    "The problem is barely worse than it was with our other phones."
    "If you're so upset, don't buy the phone."
    "If you think it's such a big deal, which it's totally not, we'll give you a case that fixes it."

So what should have been a brief mea culpa turned into a long-winded and repetitive slog of hyperdefensive pedantry. Here's a tip, Steve; When faced with a product's legitimate hardware design problem, don't do any of the following:
    - Show "data" illustrating how people love the product despite it being broken
    - Cherry-pick other models to show how your problem isn't unique
    - Use meaningless data to make meaningless points
    - Go on and on about how the problem really doesn't exist, but then explain how you're going to fix it anyway
    - Mock customers who have this problem
    - Mock journalists who reported the problem

Instead, here's how the conference should have gone:
    "Sorry, guys, we goofed on this one. The phone still works, but the antennae is a problem, and we're taking a look at it. We may redesign the phone, we may not, we'll have to see. In the meantime, free cases for everyone. We're very sorry, and we promise to work hard to ensure all Apple products meet the highest performance standards that our customers have come to expect. Send any further questions to our Customer Service department, we'll be glad to help you in any way we can. Thank you all so much."

Two minutes. Bam. Done. Over. Problem solved.

sigh.

Atomika on
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Come on - you know a two minute presentation = they're not taking this problem seriously, we're getting the brush-off, pretending there's no problem

KalTorak on
  • PrimesghostPrimesghost Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Though this seems to be turning into another "those damn <news agencies, bloggers>" rants from Steve. Don't do that Steve. Makes you look like a prick.

Too late.

Primesghost on
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    snip

sigh.

Don't forget

- we don't care that people lost money on our stock
    - at least we're not korean

nstf on
    edited July 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    snip

sigh.

Don't forget

Ah, yes. The "soothe their anger with xenophobia and racism" trick. Or maybe they're betting on the public not knowing all their parts are made in fucking China.

Anyway, here y'all go. Consumer Reports has issued a statement regarding today's Cupertino press conference. The short:

"Yeah, no. Your phone is still broken. Can't recommend."

Atomika on
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    It is really quite surprising that a company such as Apple, which is incredibly good at marketing, appears to be so shockingly poor at public relations.

I don't know if it really is that, if it's Jobs himself, or if I just happen to peruse news outlets with an anti-Apple slant, but they really don't seem to be able to do much right lately.

japan on
    edited July 2010
    japan wrote: »
    It is really quite surprising that a company such as Apple, which is incredibly good at marketing, appears to be so shockingly poor at public relations.

I don't know if it really is that, if it's Jobs himself, or if I just happen to peruse news outlets with an anti-Apple slant, but they really don't seem to be able to do much right lately.

I'm willing to bet it's mostly just Jobs himself. Ever since he came back from his illness in April, he's been a hyperbolic defensive asshole and the company has had nothing but a string of PR disasters.

First it was the iPad being rushed to market to beat competition, which admittedly, it soundly accomplished, but with a level of specifications that was sorely lacking, and (according to the assertion of some insiders) bereft of certain obvious qualities that could have easily been applied had it gestated just a bit longer, such as multitasking, cameras, FaceTime, and larger memory storage. It's pretty fucking shoddy to release a device's native intended OS three months after the product hits the market.

Then it was the hullabaloo over Gizmodo's iPhone 4 prototype acquisition, and the subsequent releasing of the hounds Apple initiated.

Then it was Apple dropping support for all software related to 2G and 3G iPhones.

Then it was AT&T discontinuing their 3G plans just one month after Jobs made it available for the iPad.

Then it was Apple's continued support for Foxconn.

Then it was Antennaegate, and all the continuing handwaving and hostility from Jobs therein.

So yeah, I think it's mostly Jobs' fault for the downward turn the company has taken this year. The man may be brilliant, but he's also smug, paranoid, and defensive. If the stocks keep falling like they have in the last month, expect the stockholders to start publicly making some noise.

Atomika on
  • dlinfinitidlinfiniti Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i for one am ready for woz 2.0 :P

dlinfiniti on
    AAAAA!!! PLAAAYGUUU!!!!
  • japanjapan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Now that I think about it, I have read a few articles (mostly about Apple's more bizarre App Store rejections) which have featured emails from Jobs to developers which tend to make him sound like a bit of a nut.

japan on
    edited July 2010
    japan wrote: »

Jobs is apple though, you can't really separate the two.

nstf on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    snip

sigh.

Don't forget

Ah, yes. The "soothe their anger with xenophobia and racism" trick. Or maybe they're betting on the public not knowing all their parts are made in fucking China.

Anyway, here y'all go. Consumer Reports has issued a statement regarding today's Cupertino press conference. The short:

Maybe he's just trying to prevent M Night Shamelan demanding that all his phones be packages in kimonos.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    snip

sigh.

Don't forget

Reading it, it's more damning than you would think. The CR guy pretty much rips today's dog and pony show to shreds.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited July 2010
    Reading it, it's more damning than you would think. The CR guy pretty much rips today's dog and pony show to shreds.

I have to say, even in the light of the bad PR moves in the last month or so, today's press conference really took me aback in its mean-spirited dismissiveness. To the point that I am legitimately starting to question Jobs' mental health.

From the callous and unfunny "parody" song that the conference opened with to Jobs' repeated insistence that somehow hard-core Apple customers are happy despite having broken phones, it was hard to watch this mighty company let one man drag its reputation so haughtily through the mud.

On top of that, the Apple.com link that shows in great detail the testing lab for the phone is simply mystifying. I have no idea what Apple is trying to convey by telling people how expensive and fantastic their facilities are. Is Jobs trying to say that the phone can't possibly be broken because their lab cost $100 million? That's basically all I can discern from that.

Puzzling, but mostly just sad.

Atomika on
  • finnithfinnith ... TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010

I have to say, even in the light of the bad PR moves in the last month or so, today's press conference really took me aback in its mean-spirited dismissiveness. To the point that I am legitimately starting to question Jobs' mental health.

From the callous and unfunny "parody" song that the conference opened with to Jobs' repeated insistence that somehow hard-core Apple customers are happy despite having broken phones, it was hard to watch this mighty company let one man drag its reputation so haughtily through the mud.

On top of that, the Apple.com link that shows in great detail the testing lab for the phone is simply mystifying. I have no idea what Apple is trying to convey by telling people how expensive and fantastic their facilities are. Is Jobs trying to say that the phone can't possibly be broken because their lab cost $100 million? That's basically all I can discern from that.

I agree with you about the bad choice for an opening, but I think you might be misinterpreting what Apple was trying to say by showing their expensive testing labs. I would guess that they were trying to convey the fact that they take the quality of their products seriously, as they would otherwise not have spent as much money on QA. This is not what I think, it's just what I think Steve Jobs was trying to say.

If some of those snippets are right though, it seems like a pretty ridiculous press conference. There's no reason to antagonize journalists (they control your reputation), or customers (even more than journalists, they control your reputation), and Apple doing so seems like a pretty lowly move. $30 for bumpers is pretty ridiculous as well, though you can certainly find other cases for just as much or even more on the market. Giving out free bumpers is great, but there's got to be a way to fix the design flaw without them.

finnith on
    Bnet: CavilatRest#1874
    Steam: CavilatRest
  • AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    finnith wrote: »

I agree with you about the bad choice for an opening, but I think you might be misinterpreting what Apple was trying to say by showing their expensive testing labs. I would guess that they were trying to convey the fact that they take the quality of their products seriously, as they would otherwise not have spent as much money on QA. This is not what I think, it's just what I think Steve Jobs was trying to say.

If some of those snippets are right though, it seems like a pretty ridiculous press conference. There's no reason to antagonize journalists (they control your reputation), or customers (even more than journalists, they control your reputation), and Apple doing so seems like a pretty lowly move. $30 for bumpers is pretty ridiculous as well, though you can certainly find other cases for just as much or even more on the market. Giving out free bumpers is great, but there's got to be a way to fix the design flaw without them.

As Mark Twain once said, never argue with someone who buys ink by the barrel.

And I think the issue is that Apple has come down with a bad case of Eisneritis.

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
    edited July 2010
    finnith wrote: »

Perhaps, but it's not surprising to find Jobs doing this in the most cack-handed way imaginable.

Bottom line, the conference or any of its periphery did not display any remorse, regret, or humility, but it did display plenty of paranoia, defensiveness, hostility, dismissal, and petulance.

I've been checking the web all day since I've been up (minus a break for a steak dinner), and it seems like the media response to the conference is fairly uniform in their, "No, fuck you, Steve Jobs," positions. Not good. So what now? Hold another conference to explain today's conference?

If nothing else, this looks like someone trying to dig their way out of a rainstorm.

Atomika on
    edited July 2010

And I'll bring this up again.

Why did they laugh off their stock holders losing money on this, that was the reason they had to get out in front of this. Pissing of your stock holders and then claiming "well, we don't give a damn that you lost money" damning.

Next, what the fuck was with "atleast we are not Korean" bullshit. This made no fucking sense at all. Asian phones are way ahead of ours. And your competitors are RIM and Google products, hardly Korean.

They had two main reasons they needed to do this. First, stock holders are getting scared. Second, apple has started to gain a shred of corporate traction via iphone and ipad, but sysadmins and CIO's tend to freak the fuck out when something will cause them a headache.

This did nothing to calm down either group. Claiming all phones do it, rather easily proven to be bullshit and there you lost the IT crowd. Saying "who cares if the stock dropped, we don't, quit bitching" there goes the stock holders. Then a last second play to xenophobia and calling everybody idiots.

o_O

What a train wreck.

nstf on
  • ThreepioThreepio New Westminster, BCRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Today's press conference had some much more valuable information: the release date for Canada is July 30th.

I'm sure folks are pissed off about the antenna. I'm looking forward to owning an iPhone.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Apple has, for a while now, been floating future goodwill. They've been selling a whole lot based on mostly hype (you don't sell 2 million units within a month of launch because the product has been proven and tested by consumers), and it was inevitable that it would collapse. Now, I'm not entirely convinced it is collapsing yet, but if nothing else, we are getting a glimpse at the eventual fate of Apple. At some point their superiority attitude is going to be pulled out at the wrong time, and enough customers will feel like they are being talked down to that you will see a backlash against Apple, not just in the media, but in the market as well.

Evander on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, I'm pretty sure that's not the case at all. Number one in consumer satisfaction, lower dropped call rate than average, fewer returns with each iteration of the product.

It sounds like you're seeing what you want to see.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited July 2010
    I'm seeing a CEO acting like a child and talking down to everyone.

Long term, that sort of behavior is never good for business.

Evander on
    edited July 2010
    Yeah, you're right. It's a shame that most customers don't care about CEOs. Those pesky sales numbers contradict you for now... I wonder if they'll continue to do so through the incredibly lucrative back to school period.

Man, that'd really be a pisser: Steve getting away with being a douche while selling yet another record number of products.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Threepio wrote: »
    Today's press conference had some much more valuable information: the release date for Canada is July 30th.

I'm sure folks are pissed off about the antenna. I'm looking forward to owning an iPhone.

Our company offered iPhones as a corporate option recently. We kicked in with the 3g, they have always had issues is a corporate level phone, but they look cool so certain departments love them, more of a pain in the ass then a quality phone. RIM phones clobber the fuck out of them for various reasons and rule the roost, win mobile are also great but still need some work, the iPhone remains a disaster. I migrated myself to one to get more hands on and see if the exchange (the major issue) was really as bad as others were screaming about, it's worse.

I could go on a multipage tirade about iphone problems in the corporate world, but this is about the iPhone 4g. Some big wig wanted to auto upgrade all our senior directors to it, and despite my "I don't want to support till my techs get 3 months to bug test it and know what they are getting into" rant I lob at any new item, they bought them, because "it's apple, it always works", well LOL turns out just like the prior iphones, just like our macs, just like the ipads we bought, ti doesn't. Not only that but it's horribly fucking broken. Also, IOS 4.0 borked some phones on exchange, password issues, sync issues, a fucking mess. And now I have various big wigs freaking out on my people because it does drop calls.

This isn't acceptable. I've been able to tolerate their products faults because "they were cool" the recent articles and reports are giving me ammo to help remove those fucking products from official support and place it into "you're on your own, we won't touch it", time to open a bottle and drink to the sky.

nstf on
    edited July 2010
    Yes, yes. Let's all ignore economic history and just build big bubbles. That ALWAYS works great.

I am NOT predicting imminent doom. Just pointing out that it will happen SOMEDAY, and unless Apple's business plan changes, we've gotten a glimpse today of how it may very well look.

Evander on
    edited July 2010
    Evander wrote: »
    Yes, yes. Let's all ignore economic history and just build big bubbles. That ALWAYS works great.

I am NOT predicting imminent doom. Just pointing out that it will happen SOMEDAY, and unless Apple's business plan changes, we've gotten a glimpse today of how it may very well look.

Jobs is going to die soon enough anyways, MS will bail them out, Adobe already hates them. They will turn into a consumer knick knack electronics shop (not that they already aren't that) and that will be that.

nstf on
    edited July 2010
    That sounds like a tough gig. It really isn't acceptable, you'll have to start telling your execs no. Just as a note - it's not about the iPhone 4g, it's about the iPhone 4. The 4g won't see the light of day until June next year.

Interestingly enough we rolled out the iPhone 3GS side by side with the BlackBerry Bold 9700 at work and there have been fewer support tickets for the 3GS despite more than two thirds of users requesting it. They're rolling out the iPhone 4 next month. I do hope their experience is better than yours. I hope things get better for you and you don't have to keep supporting products that people in your company want to use.

Threepio on
    142.jpg
    edited July 2010

Jobs is going to die soon enough anyways, MS will bail them out, Adobe already hates them. They will turn into a consumer knick knack electronics shop (not that they already aren't that) and that will be that.

I need some help with my stock portfolio, you seem to have a handle on this. Can you PM me with your recommendations?

Threepio on
    142.jpg
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I don't really understand all the whining... Don't like how the phone works? Don't think it is working properly? Take it back and get a refund. Problem solved. There is hardly any need for people to go on and on about this.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
    edited July 2010
    Avicus wrote: »
    I don't really understand all the whining... Don't like how the phone works? Don't think it is working properly? Take it back and get a refund. Problem solved. There is hardly any need for people to go on and on about this.

Are you on the Apple PR team? You seem like it.

"What, you got problems with the phone? Fuck off! We ain't puttin' a gun to youse heads or anything."

Atomika on
  • NathuramNathuram Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Neither apple nor the scalper are doing anything morally wrong. They are just two chaotic neutrals duking it out with capitalism lightsabers.

Nathuram on
  • AvicusAvicus Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

"What, you got problems with the phone? Fuck off! We ain't puttin' a gun to youse heads or anything."

If something doesn't work like I expect it to I won't buy it. If i buy it and it doesn't work like I expect it to now I can return it for a refund. These are the same forums where every second thread in D&D has somebody going on about the 'free market'. If you don't like something, 'vote with your wallets'. I'm sure that soo many people consider this such a big problem that they will return their phones.

Avicus on
    stephen_coop.gifkim_coop.gifscott_guitar.gif
    edited July 2010

If something doesn't work like I expect it to I won't buy it. If i buy it and it doesn't work like I expect it to now I can return it for a refund. These are the same forums where every second thread in D&D has somebody going on about the 'free market'. If you don't like something, 'vote with your wallets'. I'm sure that soo many people consider this such a big problem that they will return their phones.

Why, that's not even remotely what we're talking about.

Atomika on
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I live in a pretty rural area and I've been jealous of my brother's ability to pick up service on his iPhone 4 just about anywhere. We were hiking a section of the Appalachian Trail just this past week and we both brought our iPhones as GPS/emergency call devices. His iPhone 4 picked up one bar of service in the most unlikely of places whereas my 3GS and my sister's Nokia could find nothing strong enough to hold on to. And in areas where we all had one bar service, his data rates were usable and mine were... not.

So there are ways in which the iPhone 4 antenna choices make sense. The marketing slogan should be "fewer bars in more places as long as you don't hold it like this."

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • Donkey KongDonkey Kong Putting Nintendo out of business with AI nips Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I'm seeing a CEO acting like a child and talking down to everyone.

Long term, that sort of behavior is never good for business.

Jobs has pretty much always been like this. You are seeing exposed to the public the same behavior that, internally, makes Apple's products unique, fun, industry-changing, strangely broken and full of weird as hell shortcomings.

We have seen this personality peek out many times over the years over many different issues. Do you guys remember the megahertz myth and all the dog and pony shows Apple used to pull back then while the press raked their machines over the coals for flagging performance? Jobs used to come out and call everyone morons and declare the latest machine to be the best thing ever when it was clearly flawed. This is all old hat and Apple will be fine.

Or in your case Evander: Unfortunately, this is old hat and Apple will continue to be horrible for decades to come.

Donkey Kong on
    Thousands of hot, local singles are waiting to play at bubbulon.com.
  • KalTorakKalTorak One way or another, they all end up in the Undercity.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

But if we did that, we wouldn't be able to enjoy the "bitch about Apple" thread.

KalTorak on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Evander, could you explain what this bubble is, how Apple's created it, and how Apple's behavior in creating it has been different than other tech companies out there (in that Apple's creating a bubble and other companies are apparently not)? I'd also be interested to hear about the history that you're referring to; I'm guessing that there's something more specific regarding Apple's behavior and you don't just mean "there have historically been bubbles, and bubbles always do what bubbles do. Burst."

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited July 2010
    Other companies do the exact same thing. Sony's been through this a million times. They don't tend to pump their bubbles quites as big, though. The bigger the bubble, the worse the burst.

Evander on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Oh, OK.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Not everything is a "bubble." That word has become entirely too popular lately.

enc0re on