As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Consumers To Apple: Fuck You

• AngelHedgieAngelHedgie Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Organichu wrote: »
    it sounds a lot like a kid who apologizes for being bad but he's still angry and the parent (the consumers with sticks up their asses) are wagging their finger and going

i don't like your tone

they seem to want a totally humble and obeisant and not-self-promoting marketing strategy, which strikes me as so nitpicky and whiny

Because tone does matter, especially when you're issuing a mea culpa. Apple admitted the flaw, yes - but only after spending a good amount of time constructing a narrative that this was an issue endemic to smartphones. It was also pretty clear from Jobs' body language that he was not happy that he was having to do the conference.

Again, if this wasn't Apple, do you think that anyone would be defending how this was handled?

AngelHedgie on
    XBL: Nox Aeternum / PSN: NoxAeternum / NN:NoxAeternum / Steam: noxaeternum
  • nstfnstf __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    I found this funny

iphone-4-antenna-decal.jpg

nstf on
  • adytumadytum The Inevitable Rise And FallRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »
    adytum wrote: »
    Evander wrote: »
    You are still completely irrational. A revolt against apple implies that consumers are EXPECTED to purchase from apple to begin with. There is no such expectation. outside of the mp3 player market Apple isn't really the leader of any market. They are a hip brand, that's all.

Ahahahahaha.

Sure, this is from two pages ago, but it deserves extra attention.

Evander, if you want to play the semantics game maybe you should consult a dictionary before you open your mouth. Because everything you've said on the matter is so completely and utterly incorrect based on what words actually mean.

And you're calling me completely irrational.

Ahahahahaha.

Evander is, uh

He's correct about the meaning of the word.
    re·volt
    –verb (used without object)
    1. to break away from or rise against constituted authority, as by open rebellion; cast off allegiance or subjection to those in authority; rebel; mutiny: to revolt against the present government.

You may be opting for one of the other meanings of the word, but Evander isn't wrong.

Right, he's pulling a straw man argument. Namely, that when I said revolt I meant that Apple was forcing people to use their products, and people are beginning an armed insurrection against them. That's patently absurd.

I was, in fact, doing no such thing as the word has multiple, more benign meanings.

So, uh, thank you for further reinforcing my point.

adytum on
    edited July 2010
    nstf wrote: »
    I found this funny

iphone-4-antenna-decal.jpg

That is really funny.. except that by my understanding, covering the gap with a sticker would eliminate the problem completely.

adytum on
  • iTunesIsEviliTunesIsEvil Cornfield? Cornfield.Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think that depends on whether the decal would be conductive. If it just makes the gap that you have to bridge to affect the antenna even larger then yes, it's going to make attenuation even easier. If it's just another "bandaid" sticker idea where you're covering the antenna to avoid attenuation, then it's just a "haha, if you touched here before I put on my sticker I lost signal."

iTunesIsEvil on
  • NostregarNostregar Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Irond Will wrote: »
    if you don't want to put a case on your phone and want to use it in low signal areas and it's very important that your ringer always works, then you probably shouldn't get any AT&T phone in the first place. I'm not sure where you are located, but you should probably use whatever network is most reliable in your area.

Sure. But I've been on AT&T for 4 years and never had a problem with reception, so I don't think that's an issue.
    The anandtech article indicated that even putting krylon tape (or, presumably, invisishield or any other flim-based protector) around the antenna reduces the attenuation of the phone to the same level as the other phones they tested. So, if AT&T is your best local network and you don't want to wear a case and it's very important to you that you maximize your ability to take a call then that's an option i guess.

But again, why should I buy a phone that i then need to put a shield on instead of a phone that simply works out of the box? Yes, I could get an iphone and put a sticker on it, or I could just get a different phone. It seems like we're working from opposite positions - yours is "Can I get an iPhone4 and make it do what I want", and the answer is obviously yes. I'm working from the position of "What phone can I get to fit my needs with the least amount of work", and it doesn't seem like that's the iphone4. Does that seem about right?
    you should at least consider the possibility that the issue is being exaggerated or misrepresented to you in terms of practical effect to you.

Absolutely, but like I said, I know several people who have had problems, so it doesn't seem like it's overly exaggerated - at least not for this reception area.
    unless, again, your dissatisfaction is with something besides whether the phone will function well enough for your use. i live in a low signal area and the phone works fine for me, kind of against my expectations, given how much grousing i'd seen on the internets. you can always return it if it doesn't work.

Have I said anything to indicate that I'm hating on Apple just because they're Apple? I think I've been pretty fair in this assessment. Again, though, on the second point - why not just get a phone that I know will work better in the first place?

Right, he's pulling a straw man argument. Namely, that when I said revolt I meant that Apple was forcing people to use their products, and people are beginning an armed insurrection against them. That's patently absurd.

I was, in fact, doing no such thing as the word has multiple, more benign meanings.

So, uh, thank you for further reinforcing my point.

Not at all. He was going with the most common meaning of the word "revolt", and was correct in that case. You claimed that his reading of it was impossible given the meaning of the word. You're wrong. Yes, there are other possible ways to read what you said, but he was going with the most common way of reading it which I think is appropriate.

Either way, done arguing this point. You'll never admit you're wrong, so there's no point.

Nostregar on
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010
    it sounds a lot like a kid who apologizes for being bad but he's still angry and the parent (the consumers with sticks up their asses) are wagging their finger and going

i don't like your tone

they seem to want a totally humble and obeisant and not-self-promoting marketing strategy, which strikes me as so nitpicky and whiny

I see the free case strategy to be a sound one.

Honestly, this kind of reminds me in a weird way on how healthcare reform got watered down. People who have no interest in the product and are actively trying to bring it down a peg are saying that they would be okay with the product if it did this or this, and then the product CAN do it, and they say that it doesn't do it how they would like for them to do it, so they STILL aren't interested.

Then a flaw is found and is dramatically overblown in the media, and when the flaw is fixed "they didn't go far enough" even though it is essentially a perfect fix for the dramatically small number of people who have a real-usage issue.

And finally, people who are interested in the product and may benefit from it / enjoy owning one are getting misinformed of the severity of the issue through the overzealous rantings of people who do not want the product and some of whom actively do not want Apple to succeed because they fear what the market will become if they do.

I suspect even if Apple recalled every phone and had them come back in the mail made out of diamond and platinum, 20 bars of signal even in the middle of the ocean on a submarine and free blowjobs that Evander and Co. (who are clearly not in Apples market demographic (which is perfectly fine to be BTW)) would still find a way to bitch about it on the internet, thus not solving anything for the millions actively using the device without issue.

So why should Apple fix the problems that people who don't actually want the phone are addressing? They are selling more of these devices than they can make, probably will for the foreseeable future, and all is well in the world.

On another, earlier note:

I mean, I don't use Blackberrys, but I do have to support them, and my clients got SUPER pissed when they went down TWICE earlier this year for hours or days... or the year before, or the year before. Even if you owned your own BES. Personally, I find devices that directly shim into Exchange via activesync to be worlds more stable in day to day push operations (Droid, iPhone, WinMo). But do I tell clients not to use Blackberry devices because of these sporadic issues? Nope. Because some people really click with the Blackberry experience, and it is a well supported platform for when things go wrong... just like all the other major players in the market.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    You do realize there's a third option between "it has a horrible crippling flaw" and "it has no flaw at all," right? It's "there is a problem, but it's really not that bad and has an easy workaround if it affects you."

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
    edited July 2010
    Nostregar wrote: »
    Not at all. He was going with the most common meaning of the word "revolt", and was correct in that case. You claimed that his reading of it was impossible given the meaning of the word. You're wrong. Yes, there are other possible ways to read what you said, but he was going with the most common way of reading it which I think is appropriate.

Either way, done arguing this point. You'll never admit you're wrong, so there's no point.

Words have context. I don't know who would possibly think that saying that consumers are revolting against a company would mean, literally, that "consumers, that have been physically forced by a company to purchase their products, are starting to hold an armed insurrection against said company."

As opposed to, "Consumers are turning against a company that sells popular products."

The first is not a reasonable reading or understanding of the comment for anyone besides you and Evander, apparently.

And making a comment about "not letting it go" would be great if you weren't so objectively wrong, and Evander didn't spend so much time antagonizing me with his straw man argument.

adytum on
  • OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited July 2010

i don't like your tone

Because tone does matter, especially when you're issuing a mea culpa. Apple admitted the flaw, yes - but only after spending a good amount of time constructing a narrative that this was an issue endemic to smartphones. It was also pretty clear from Jobs' body language that he was not happy that he was having to do the conference.

Again, if this wasn't Apple, do you think that anyone would be defending how this was handled?

it's not about defending it- it's about who cares

it's such a melodramatic complaint

Organichu on
  • ScalfinScalfin __BANNED USERS regular
    edited July 2010
    Adrien wrote: »
    It's like if you said, "There is an orange shortage, the orchard admits there is an orange shortage, but unless you can prove how many people the shortage effects and how badly it affects them, I can conclusively state that the problem is, in fact, not really a problem."

It's absolutism. Plus, it's self-contradictory. So kudos.

Or imagine if there were an iPhone 4 shortage, because more people wanted to buy an iPhone than there were iPhones.

Am I doing this right?

The DeBeers of electronics has a shortage? Hold the presses!

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited July 2010
    Wait, so you're saying that Apple's purposely shorting their supply of phones to make it seem like the iPhone 4 is always sold out? You're saying you have some evidence of this?

I am awaiting this damning link with baited breath.

iTunesIsEvil on
  • ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    The anandtech article indicated that even putting krylon tape (or, presumably, invisishield or any other flim-based protector) around the antenna reduces the attenuation of the phone to the same level as the other phones they tested. So, if AT&T is your best local network and you don't want to wear a case and it's very important to you that you maximize your ability to take a call then that's an option i guess.

I liked that follow up anandtech article. It seemed well balanced, and their description of the antenna as "a trade off" seems accurate. The concept that there where some improvements i.e. reasons to move to this design seems to get lost in this thread.

I'm holding off on the phone for now. Assuming they introduce a "out of the box" fix in the fall, I might reconsider. Though the way the glass goes so close to the edge seems to me like... a case will always be needed with this design.

Arlington on
  • AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Scalfin wrote: »
    It's like if you said, "There is an orange shortage, the orchard admits there is an orange shortage, but unless you can prove how many people the shortage effects and how badly it affects them, I can conclusively state that the problem is, in fact, not really a problem."

It's absolutism. Plus, it's self-contradictory. So kudos.

Or imagine if there were an iPhone 4 shortage, because more people wanted to buy an iPhone than there were iPhones.

Am I doing this right?

The DeBeers of electronics has a shortage? Hold the presses!

...you're saying Apple is intentionally producing fewer phones than there is demand for in order to artificially inflate their value? Seriously? Someone out there said, "Let's only make three million of these things to start— we don't want just anyone to be able to get their hands on one."

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited July 2010
    Also: "The DeBeers of electronics?" Apple's killing people now?

That's some wacky pseudo-Godwinning right there.

cloudeagle on
    edited July 2010
    Also, Apple's stock has been climbing the past 3 days.

Their stockholders are revolting.

adytum on
  • zeenyzeeny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    cloudeagle wrote: »

He meant it as the big electronics manufacturer selling a seriously overpriced product by insisting on its (false) uniqueness.
    Or maybe he meant it as Apple are killing people, but I'd be amazed.

zeeny on
    edited July 2010
    Just to beat this into the ground, here's Apple COO Tim Cook saying:
    “Let me be very clear on this: We are selling every unit we can make, currently,” Cook stated. A follow-up question asked if there was a slow down in order rates or if there was an increase Apple was seeing in returns? “My phone is ringing off the hook from people who want more supply,” Cook said.

Someone else asked if Cook would respond to the thought that Apple purposefully creates a shortage of their products to build buzz. “We do not purposefully create a shortage for buzz. I’m not sure where that comes from,” Cook said. “Demand for iPhone 4 is absolutely stunning.”

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited July 2010
    It comes from the fact that manufacturers have done it in the past with launch products. Have the actual shipping numbers been released?

zeeny on
  • Dark_SideDark_Side Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    zeeny wrote: »

He meant it as the big electronics manufacturer selling a seriously overpriced product by insisting on its (false) uniqueness.

Well....it's a bit of a reach but they were having problems with employees at their contracted asian manufacturing facilities committing suicide over accidental leaks. It's no secret how crazy over the top Apple is about controlling leaks.

Dark_Side on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    i've been kind of trying to figure out a way to mount a useful stand in my car for my ipad, i guess for gps mostly. it's pretty big for that kind of purpose unless you've got a giant truck or something.

This guy used the iPad for nav, music, and video.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ipad/141282-2006-subaru-sti-3g-ipad.html

jungleroomx on
    edited July 2010
    i've been kind of trying to figure out a way to mount a useful stand in my car for my ipad, i guess for gps mostly. it's pretty big for that kind of purpose unless you've got a giant truck or something.

This guy used the iPad for nav, music, and video.

http://www.mp3car.com/vbulletin/ipad/141282-2006-subaru-sti-3g-ipad.html
    That's pretty damn awesome.

iTunesIsEvil on
    edited July 2010

Has Apple ever not reported being out of a new product? Or an old product? Their whole business structure is like the scene in Futurama where every customer is told he's getting the last one.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    The rest of you, I fucking hate you for the fact that I now have a blue dot on this god awful thread.
    edited July 2010
    “Let me be very clear on this: We are selling every unit we can make, currently,” Cook stated. A follow-up question asked if there was a slow down in order rates or if there was an increase Apple was seeing in returns? “My phone is ringing off the hook from people who want more supply,” Cook said.

Someone else asked if Cook would respond to the thought that Apple purposefully creates a shortage of their products to build buzz. “We do not purposefully create a shortage for buzz. I’m not sure where that comes from,” Cook said. “Demand for iPhone 4 is absolutely stunning.”

Well, if an Apple executive says so, I guess it must be true.

Scalfin on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

If you want to bring Foxconn in to it...

Evander on
  • ArlingtonArlington Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

Holding back production to build hype, or even to maximize efficiency generally chaps my ass. Mainly because I want what I want, and I want it now.

but are we seriously saying that "Only shipping 3 million plus units in less then a month" is purposely holding back stock/production?

Arlington on
  • jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    When more than 3 million people are known to want to purchase it, it makes it a possibility.

jungleroomx on
    edited July 2010

Has Apple ever not reported being out of a new product? Or an old product? Their whole business structure is like the scene in Futurama where every customer is told he's getting the last one.

Preaching to the choir. Apple's marketing has never appealed to me, nor has their price compared to their direct competitors, so I have never actually bought an apple product and the only one I have owned didn't convince me to buy another.

zeeny on
    edited July 2010

So that is what you actually think.

Huh.

Good to know.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
    edited July 2010
    AngelHedgie on
  • EvanderEvander Disappointed Father Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

To be fair, what the article seems to say is that running Apple software on your Windows PC will make the PC more insecure.

Evander on
    edited July 2010
    That was a terrible, inflammatory headline coupled with an awful article. I'd read the date myself but the PDF keeps crashing my windows machine.

Of course it's pretty widely known that Apple software made for Windows is generally subpar.

adytum on
    edited July 2010
    iTunes for Windows is such a buggy resource-hog. Having to use that is my main frustration with owning an iPhone.

cloudeagle on
  • EgoEgo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    iTunes for Windows is such a buggy resource-hog. Having to use that is my main frustration with owning an iPhone.

Hell yes. The best part of moving on from my iphone 3g was ditching itunes.

Ego on
    Erik
  • syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited July 2010

Apple needs to hire some new developers to clean up their windows codebase.

It's pretty awful all around. Better than it was a few years ago, but still... iTunes runs too damn well in OSX for the windows version to be such shit.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
    edited July 2010
    I'm reading the actual data now and without knowing more, the conclusions in that article [strike]are completely false[/strike] strike me as incorrect.

Firefox (#1) had the most individual CVE's with 96.

If you combine Firefox (#1) and Thunderbird (#10) Mozilla has 132.

If you combine Safari (#2) and iTunes (#9) Apple has 132.

If you combine Reader (#5), Acrobat (#6), Flash Player (#7), and AIR (#8) Adobe has 240.

From the available data in that study under no metric is Apple the worst offender.

Edit- The data in the study doesn't support the conclusions. They state that most of the relevant data isn't released, and is at least partially subjective.

adytum on
    edited July 2010
    I'm reading the actual data now and without knowing more, the conclusions in that article are completely false.

If you combine Reader (#5), Acrobat (#6), Flash Player (#7), and AIR (#8) Adobe has 240.

From the available data in that study under no metric is Apple the worst offender.

That was just the top ten list, you do know, right?

And there's always Apple's underwhelming performance at the past few Pwn2Own competitions.

AngelHedgie on
    edited July 2010
    I'm reading the actual data now and without knowing more, the conclusions in that article are completely false.

That was just the top ten list, you do know, right?

And there's always Apple's underwhelming performance at the past few Pwn2Own competitions.

Yes, I'm aware of that, and if they don't release their data it's difficult to take their conclusions seriously.

What they did release doesn't support their conclusions, partially because their conclusions are subjective.

adytum on
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010

i don't remember the iTV, any of the iMac refreshes or the recent iPod/ iTouch releases being out of stock

i think maybe certain models of macbooks or iMacs might have gotten in short supply at certain times.

Mostly it was the early iPod revs, the iPad and the iPhones

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png
  • Irond WillIrond Will WARNING: NO HURTFUL COMMENTS, PLEASE!!!!! Cambridge. MAModerator mod
    edited July 2010

I guess my only other music players i've used on widows were:

1) RealPlayer
    2) Windows Media Center
    3) WinAmp

Realplayer was terrible. It would slowly destroy your system.

WMC isn't awful, but is not great. Definitely fewer features for organization/ shopping/ etc than iTunes, and it's not the pinnacle of stability On the up-side, it can stream video to a 360.

I hated WinAmp, but i generally dislike these software packages developed by or aimed at GNU/ open source/ hackers/ customizers. I just want the thing to do its function in an elegant way without having to fuck with it too much.

I now use a mac, and iTunes runs pretty well over there.

Irond Will on
    Wqdwp8l.png