Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[INTERNET DATING] Adventure Time!

15961636465

Posts

  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited June 2010
    I want to take a picture of myself in my wetsuit holding a surfboard and looking at the ocean.
    You had better shoop in a megalodon, dude.

    Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    I think it just makes me traditional, or old fashioned.

    Slavery is traditional and old fashioned.
    Women not got to work is traditional and old fashioned.
    Men not going into the delivery room is traditional and old fashioned.
    Radios are traditional and old fashioned.
    Women dying in child birth is traditional and old fashioned.
    Typhoid fever is traditional and old fashioned.




    Ridiculous points? Yes. But being traditional and old fashioned is an excuse and not a legitimate reason.

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    I want to take a picture of myself in my wetsuit holding a surfboard and looking at the ocean.
    You had better shoop in a megalodon, dude.

    What does this mean?

    Protein Shakes on
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Well, if my mom met the following criteria... I'd be in favor if waterboarding her.
  • JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "shoop" i believe is internet for "photoshop" (as a verb)


    megalodon
    megalodon_whiteshark_gigantism_6.jpg

    Joolander on
  • Protein ShakesProtein Shakes __BANNED USERS
    edited June 2010
    Ah.

    Okay.

    Protein Shakes on
    Modern Man wrote: »
    Well, if my mom met the following criteria... I'd be in favor if waterboarding her.
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    I want to take a picture of myself in my wetsuit holding a surfboard and looking at the ocean.
    You had better shoop in a megalodon, dude.

    What does this mean?

    That's what it means

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    I think it just makes me traditional, or old fashioned.

    Slavery is traditional and old fashioned.
    Women not got to work is traditional and old fashioned.
    Men not going into the delivery room is traditional and old fashioned.
    Radios are traditional and old fashioned.
    Women dying in child birth is traditional and old fashioned.
    Typhoid fever is traditional and old fashioned.




    Ridiculous points? Yes. But being traditional and old fashioned is an excuse and not a legitimate reason.

    This is retarded. It's a good thing I don't listen to your advice or any of the other idiotic comments made about my dating habits.

    JustinSane07 on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Totally makes sense. Keep up the good work.

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    They are bad examples. However, you could replace them with:

    Expecting women to cook for you, shave everywhere, automatically be on birth control, and have a much cleaner apartment than your own. These are relegated to the dating sphere, but would probably be less easily accepted for the sake of being traditional, than men paying for dates.

    Septus on
    PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Slavery is traditional and old fashioned.
    Women not got to work is traditional and old fashioned.
    Men not going into the delivery room is traditional and old fashioned.
    Radios are traditional and old fashioned.
    Women dying in child birth is traditional and old fashioned.
    Typhoid fever is traditional and old fashioned.




    Ridiculous points? Yes. But being traditional and old fashioned is an excuse and not a legitimate reason.
    Wow. I just do not even know where to go with that.

    We clearly have differing views on this subject. I can't defend mine to you, and I'm not going to let you ram yours down my throat. So I believe I shall agree to disagree with you on this point and wish you well.

    P.S. High five, Septus.

    Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    That is exactly what I meant.

    Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    Slavery is traditional and old fashioned.
    Women not got to work is traditional and old fashioned.
    Men not going into the delivery room is traditional and old fashioned.
    Radios are traditional and old fashioned.
    Women dying in child birth is traditional and old fashioned.
    Typhoid fever is traditional and old fashioned.




    Ridiculous points? Yes. But being traditional and old fashioned is an excuse and not a legitimate reason.
    Wow. I just do not even know where to go with that.

    We clearly have differing views on this subject. I can't defend mine to you, and I'm not going to let you ram yours down my throat. So I believe I shall agree to disagree with you on this point and wish you well.

    P.S. High five, Septus.

    Old anecdote
    There was a child who was watching their mother prepare a pot roast for their traditional Sunday family dinner. The mother cut off the tips of the roast and put it into the pan. The child asked, “Why did you cut off the tips of the roast?” The mother replied, “That’s how my mother prepared it. She’s in the other room, why don’t you go and ask here.” The child then asked the grandmother, “How come when you prepare a roast you cut off the tips of the roast before you put it into the pan?” The grandmother replied, “Well, that’s how my mother did it. Why don’t you go ask her.” So, once again the child went to her great-grandmother and said, “I asked Mom and Grandma why they cut off the tips of the roast before they put it into the pan and they each told me to ask you.” “Well,” the great-grandmother said, “I don’t know why they are doing it…but I did it because the roast we bought always 10” in diameter but the pan we had was 8” in diameter”
    In other words, don't do something just because that's how it was done. There might not be good reason.

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    So it's not that I'm unwilling to pay. I understand that some situations mean I'm going to have to pay my own way, but I generally expect that the first date is on whoever requested the date, which may not be me.
    Fixed that for a (imo) better way to say it. Maybe you don't ask guys for dates so both versions are the same for you, but some girls do.

    Is Improv making an exaggerated point? Yes. But it's so that the point comes across. Septus basically made the same point, with less exaggeration.

    And that point isssss: Expecting people to conform to certain roles because they have special sexual appendages is really, really, REALLY, REALLY dumb. Like pants-on-head dumb. So expecting the guy to pick up the tab because he has a penis, and the girl to sit there and look pretty and not pay for anything because she has a vagina, makes no sense whatsoever.

    And pretty much the ONLY reason we still define roles based on sexual appendages is because "that's just how it's done" and because "we like to feel old fashioned" and "that's how my parents taught me." Well that's just dumb. In today's day and age I am perfectly capable of utilizing funds from my job to pay for a nice date for a nice guy, so why the hell shouldn't I? Because I have a vagina and traditionally people with vaginas don't pay, and to heck with whether that vagina-having person is actually capable of doing it?

    Fuck. That.


    edit: This is all assuming approximately equal financial assets and whatnot. Because if they aren't the same, then the reason for one party paying or not is different - financial reasons are a perfectly acceptable reason for not paying. But nowadays women do hold full time jobs quite capably.

    Spacemilk on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    What's dumb is Improv's little crusade against it. If a girl offers to help pay for a meal and I tell her I got it, I'm not babying or coddling her.

    JustinSane07 on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User
    edited June 2010
    What's dumb is Improv's little crusade against it. If a girl offers to help pay for a meal and I tell her I got it, I'm not babying or coddling her.
    But on the flip side, if the girl insists and makes it clear that splitting or paying is important to her, are you going to be offended? Are you going to refuse to allow her to pay or help out? How much would it take for you to give in to her demanding to help out?

    edit: Improv is not crusading against a guy paying. Improv is crusading against the expectation that a guy pays, and then all the little expectations that come along with it for both parties.

    Spacemilk on
  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Fixed that for a (imo) better way to say it. Maybe you don't ask guys for dates so both versions are the same for you, but some girls do.

    Is Improv making an exaggerated point? Yes. But it's so that the point comes across. Septus basically made the same point, with less exaggeration.

    And that point isssss: Expecting people to conform to certain roles because they have special sexual appendages is really, really, REALLY, REALLY dumb. Like pants-on-head dumb. So expecting the guy to pick up the tab because he has a penis, and the girl to sit there and look pretty and not pay for anything because she has a vagina, makes no sense whatsoever.

    And pretty much the ONLY reason we still define roles based on sexual appendages is because "that's just how it's done" and because "we like to feel old fashioned" and "that's how my parents taught me." Well that's just dumb. In today's day and age I am perfectly capable of utilizing funds from my job to pay for a nice date for a nice guy, so why the hell shouldn't I? Because I have a vagina and traditionally people with vaginas don't pay, and to heck with whether that vagina-having person is actually capable of doing it?

    Fuck. That.


    edit: This is all assuming approximately equal financial assets and whatnot. Because if they aren't the same, then the reason for one party paying or not is different - financial reasons are a perfectly acceptable reason for not paying. But nowadays women do hold full time jobs quite capably.
    Okay, that is a fair edit. I don't generally suggest dates that are going to cost anything. My suggestions are usually "Soandso is having a party, we should go together!" Also, if my date is a woman, and she suggested the date? I still expect she's going to pick up the tab.

    Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • RisenPhoenixRisenPhoenix SUPER HOTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Joolander wrote: »
    wait, is covering the check a bad thing?

    i dont ever insist on paying the bill, as thats just rude

    but if the question doesnt come up, i usually end up paying unless she snuck it in while i was in the WC

    Oddly enough, I use grabbing the check as a simple way to see how dom/subby my date is. For instance, when I went to breakfast Sunday past I just grabbed the check folio and put cash into it and my date didn't say a thing. I was fine with it, and later I have discovered that she has quite a few submissive characteristics.

    Now when I went to a movie with a friend-of-a-friend, she was quite upfront. "If you try to pay for everything, I will sock you in the jaw and take a cab home." Hey - at least there was no ambiguity.

    RisenPhoenix on
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spacemilk. Pictures. Look at. Opinion?

    Could use a woman's perspective. I'll be hunting down some more, but this is all I have so far.

    Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Now when I went to a movie with a friend-of-a-friend, she was quite upfront. "If you try to pay for everything, I will sock you in the jaw and take a cab home." Hey - at least there was no ambiguity.

    Hell that's a keeper right there :lol:

    Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Decius wrote: »
    Spacemilk. Pictures. Look at. Opinion?

    Could use a woman's perspective. I'll be hunting down some more, but this is all I have so far.
    I agreed with the points made previously. The first photo, you look sort of bored. You need to have a photo where you're smiling. Show that you aren't joyless.

    The second photo has way too much negative space. It's like an action shot, but there's no action. It would not be my choice. The motorcycle pic is great, however.

    Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User
    edited June 2010
    At work D: rarely have time for forums outside of work. (how sad is that?)

    But I will see if I can get enough reception on my phone out here in the boonies to take a look, while I have a break.

    Spacemilk on
  • DeciusDecius Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    Decius wrote: »
    Spacemilk. Pictures. Look at. Opinion?

    Could use a woman's perspective. I'll be hunting down some more, but this is all I have so far.
    I agreed with the points made previously. The first photo, you look sort of bored. You need to have a photo where you're smiling. Show that you aren't joyless.

    The second photo has way too much negative space. It's like an action shot, but there's no action. It would not be my choice. The motorcycle pic is great, however.

    Didn't mean to exclude you there Ellie :lol:. Thanks!

    Decius on
    camo_sig2.png
    I never finish anyth
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ellie did say only the first date.

    The only person I actively think is being a bad/out of touch person is Justin. And he straight up admitted his niceness was just a game to garner affection. Phony enough to make Holden Caufield go nuclear and destroy the earth and definitely not 'nice'.

    If you don't get how that's being manipulative, then god help you.

    SpaceMilk, Improv and the others understand this is about sexual equality and gender roles. SM put it perfectly when she said:
    Expecting people to conform to certain roles because they have special sexual appendages is really, really, REALLY, REALLY dumb. Like pants-on-head dumb. So expecting the guy to pick up the tab because he has a penis, and the girl to sit there and look pretty and not pay for anything because she has a vagina, makes no sense whatsoever.

    And pretty much the ONLY reason we still define roles based on sexual appendages is because "that's just how it's done" and because "we like to feel old fashioned" and "that's how my parents taught me."

    Meanwhile, Justin is blabbering "I'm a man, I'm Italian and that's how we do things. I pay. NO EXCEPTIONS." and slamming his dick on the counter. While at the same time expecting a girl to fall for him because he is willing to do that and talk to her when she's sick. Totally ignoring things like chemistry and mutual interest.

    God, I really never thought I'd be arguing about sexism. This is super out of character for me. But damn, he is.

    OnTheLastCastle on
    I'm a published writer and have a very unique and interesting writing style. I'm also sharp and witty. My profile is well-written and hilarious. My messages are likewise brilliant. And I've been doing this stuff for...four or five years. I know what "works" in terms of good internet dating writing. "Works" in the sense of leading to a "date" with a human female.

    twitch.tv/onthelastcastle
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    If we're meeting for drinks or something, I expect to cover only myself. If I invite someone to dinner, I'll assume I'm paying and hope for them to offer. If they don't offer, or mention getting the movie tickets or what have you, I take this as a clear sign of the type of person they are.

    note: this is early in the relationship
    See, now, when I first started dating, I can't remember if I was just going to the movies or dinner or what it was, but it was something simple. The subject of who paid came up when I was telling my parents about it and they both told me that if the guy doesn't pay for the activity, it isn't a date. Granted, these are people who were born in the fifties and I'm assuming the rules of dating were different at that time, but that is the mindset they've given me, so I always expect that if I'm on a date, my gentleman friend is going to pick up the check. If he doesn't, no big deal. It's not like I don't bring money, but I always give him the chance to offer because, to me, picking up the check is a sign that this is, in fact, a date.

    In other words... you know that a guy is romantically interested when he starts buying you stuff?

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ellie did say only the first date.

    The only person I actively think is being a bad/out of touch person is Justin. And he straight up admitted his niceness was just a game to garner affection. Phony enough to make Holden Caufield go nuclear and destroy the earth and definitely not 'nice'.

    If you don't get how that's being manipulative, then god help you.

    SpaceMilk, Improv and the others understand this is about sexual equality and gender roles. SM put it perfectly when she said:
    Expecting people to conform to certain roles because they have special sexual appendages is really, really, REALLY, REALLY dumb. Like pants-on-head dumb. So expecting the guy to pick up the tab because he has a penis, and the girl to sit there and look pretty and not pay for anything because she has a vagina, makes no sense whatsoever.

    And pretty much the ONLY reason we still define roles based on sexual appendages is because "that's just how it's done" and because "we like to feel old fashioned" and "that's how my parents taught me."

    Meanwhile, Justin is blabbering "I'm a man, I'm Italian and that's how we do things. I pay. NO EXCEPTIONS." and slamming his dick on the counter. While at the same time expecting a girl to fall for him because he is willing to do that and talk to her when she's sick. Totally ignoring things like chemistry and mutual interest.

    God, I really never thought I'd be arguing about sexism. This is super out of character for me. But damn, he is.
    hey guys...this is a first date, not a gender equality rally

    BEAST! on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User
    edited June 2010
    (hooray a touch of 3G saves the day!)

    Decius, on your pictures: The first picture is not too dark. However, there is nothing going on. You are not smiling. (though you did say you tend to be stone faced) This picture is just kinda... there. You could do a picture with a pet, or something you made, or a hobby - anything that might keep the person's attention on the picture for longer than a second.

    The second picture is good. I don't notice your gut, at all. You are smiling and looking like you are having a great time doing something fun - awesome! Just make sure the caption is pro and this one is good to go.

    Spacemilk on
  • EllieEllie Registered User
    edited June 2010
    In other words... you know that a guy is romantically interested when he starts buying you stuff?
    Good Christ, I am not so shallow. When all my friends were guys, I could never figure out which ones thought we were dating unless they paid for stuff. Then I went "Oh shit, he thinks we're dating." So this is where that logic comes from.

    I am not so dense now. I can figure out there is romantic interest without a guy buying things for me. I think it is a nice gesture if the guy picks up the check. Does this mean I fall into the traditional and antiquated gender role? Yes, I'm sure it does. However, I don't care. And discussing this with you is making me upset, because I don't like the sort of person I think you are trying to insinuate that I am. Therefore, I am not going to discuss this any further. No hard feelings.

    Ellie on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User
    edited June 2010
    BEAST! wrote: »
    hey guys...this is a first date, not a gender equality rally
    How much do we judge people based on the first date? A LOT. So your behavior then really really matters.

    Also why should your behavior on a first date be any different from the rest of the time? If you display a behavior on the first date, isn't it reasonable to assume that you're going to continue with that behavior on later dates and into a relationship? If not, why are you faking it on the first date? Isn't that a bit deceptive?

    And I gotta admit, I'm a little frustrated that you call a few posts a "gender equality rally". It's not like we're doing this unprompted. Why isn't the other side having a "sexism rally"?! HMMMM?

    Spacemilk on
  • MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    Slavery is traditional and old fashioned.
    Women not got to work is traditional and old fashioned.
    Men not going into the delivery room is traditional and old fashioned.
    Radios are traditional and old fashioned.
    Women dying in child birth is traditional and old fashioned.
    Typhoid fever is traditional and old fashioned.




    Ridiculous points? Yes. But being traditional and old fashioned is an excuse and not a legitimate reason.
    Wow. I just do not even know where to go with that.

    We clearly have differing views on this subject. I can't defend mine to you, and I'm not going to let you ram yours down my throat. So I believe I shall agree to disagree with you on this point and wish you well.

    P.S. High five, Septus.

    I kind of get where he's going sort of.

    Traditionally a man would go to the lady's house, talk with her father, and then escort her to his Bel Air. They'd go to the local restaurant, be seated (dude would pull our her chair of course), and then the waiter would ask the man what the woman wanted to eat. When the lady powdered her face the guy would stand up, and when she came back he'd stand up. After dinner they'd go to the malt shoppe for some soda. And they would share a soda. Of course he'd pay for it all.

    Then he'd be all "Gee Mandy, I sure hope you'd go steady with me!" and give her his letter jacket or something.

    Pretty much now all the other traditional stuff is out the window, but some people still think the dude should pay.

    Me, I don't care one way or the other. A night out with a classy lady has actually been cheaper than bad nights at the bar and tons more fun.

    Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Ellie wrote: »
    I am not so dense now. I can figure out there is romantic interest without a guy buying things for me.
    urgh blurgh I am not trying to pick on you but I must say this: I hope when you say "figure out" you mean, "He and I talk about it and reach a mutual understanding" rather than you just assuming certain things and he assumes the same things and if you're lucky you assumed the same thing. Because communication is pretty darn important. If you ever break up with your current boyfriend that you've known for years and try the internet dating thing, this is something you must learn, because future suitors may not have the benefit of seven years of friendship to give them and you a perspective into your head.

    Spacemilk on
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User
    edited June 2010
    Malkor wrote: »
    Ellie wrote: »
    Slavery is traditional and old fashioned.
    Women not got to work is traditional and old fashioned.
    Men not going into the delivery room is traditional and old fashioned.
    Radios are traditional and old fashioned.
    Women dying in child birth is traditional and old fashioned.
    Typhoid fever is traditional and old fashioned.




    Ridiculous points? Yes. But being traditional and old fashioned is an excuse and not a legitimate reason.
    Wow. I just do not even know where to go with that.

    We clearly have differing views on this subject. I can't defend mine to you, and I'm not going to let you ram yours down my throat. So I believe I shall agree to disagree with you on this point and wish you well.

    P.S. High five, Septus.

    I kind of get where he's going sort of.

    Traditionally a man would go to the lady's house, talk with her father, and then escort her to his Bel Air. They'd go to the local restaurant, be seated (dude would pull our her chair of course), and then the waiter would ask the man what the woman wanted to eat. When the lady powdered her face the guy would stand up, and when she came back he'd stand up. After dinner they'd go to the malt shoppe for some soda. And they would share a soda. Of course he'd pay for it all.

    Then he'd be all "Gee Mandy, I sure hope you'd go steady with me!" and give her his letter jacket or something.

    Pretty much now all the other traditional stuff is out the window, but some people still think the dude should pay.

    Me, I don't care one way or the other. A night out with a classy lady has actually been cheaper than bad nights at the bar and tons more fun.
    You forgot to open the door at the restaurant. JEEZ.

    (I keed, I keed :P)

    Spacemilk on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    BEAST! wrote: »
    hey guys...this is a first date, not a gender equality rally
    How much do we judge people based on the first date? A LOT. So your behavior then really really matters.

    Also why should your behavior on a first date be any different from the rest of the time? If you display a behavior on the first date, isn't it reasonable to assume that you're going to continue with that behavior on later dates and into a relationship? If not, why are you faking it on the first date? Isn't that a bit deceptive?

    And I gotta admit, I'm a little frustrated that you call a few posts a "gender equality rally". It's not like we're doing this unprompted. Why isn't the other side having a "sexism rally"?! HMMMM?
    I'm a little frustrated that you're tearing a dude apart because a lady offered to pay and he said that it was fine, he'd pay for it.

    You guys are ridiculous and reading WAAAAAY too into simple actions.

    BEAST! on
  • ImprovoloneImprovolone Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You know as well as we do that he said a lot more than, "I paid for the first date despite her offering to split it".

    Improvolone on
    Voice actor for hire. My time is free if your project is!
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is not nearly all he said and that is not even the WAY he said that one particular thing.

    edit: We are also talking about dating. Justin's "I am OVERLY and SUPERFICIALLY NICE to make her LIKE me. That is all that dating is, right?" is not good. I'm not letting guys who don't know any better or who're starting on that dark road to go with that and the whole ridiculous White Knight/Nice Guy vs. Jerks narrative they construct. It. Is. Fantasy.

    edit #2: I can cite exactly where he said each of those things, btw.

    OnTheLastCastle on
    I'm a published writer and have a very unique and interesting writing style. I'm also sharp and witty. My profile is well-written and hilarious. My messages are likewise brilliant. And I've been doing this stuff for...four or five years. I know what "works" in terms of good internet dating writing. "Works" in the sense of leading to a "date" with a human female.

    twitch.tv/onthelastcastle
  • SpacemilkSpacemilk Registered User
    edited June 2010
    BEAST! wrote: »
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    BEAST! wrote: »
    hey guys...this is a first date, not a gender equality rally
    How much do we judge people based on the first date? A LOT. So your behavior then really really matters.

    Also why should your behavior on a first date be any different from the rest of the time? If you display a behavior on the first date, isn't it reasonable to assume that you're going to continue with that behavior on later dates and into a relationship? If not, why are you faking it on the first date? Isn't that a bit deceptive?

    And I gotta admit, I'm a little frustrated that you call a few posts a "gender equality rally". It's not like we're doing this unprompted. Why isn't the other side having a "sexism rally"?! HMMMM?
    I'm a little frustrated that you're tearing a dude apart because a lady offered to pay and he said that it was fine, he'd pay for it.

    You guys are ridiculous and reading WAAAAAY too into simple actions.
    Um what? First, he didn't say that. Second, I set up my post as a general thing and made ZERO comments on Justin's behavior. Third, I SPECIFICALLY ASKED HIM about the situation you just mentioned and never got a response, so how the hell did I tear one person apart when I (a) never mentioned him or addressed him or referred to his situation, and (b) never actually got his opinion so I could offer no opinion of my own?

    edit: Also I was responding to Ellie's post. Which is clear, because, you know, I quoted her.

    Spacemilk on
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    That is not nearly all he said and that is not even the WAY he said that one particular thing.

    edit: We are also talking about dating. Justin's "I am OVERLY and SUPERFICIALLY NICE to make her LIKE me. That is all that dating is, right?" is not good. I'm not letting guys who don't know any better or who're starting on that dark road to go with that and the whole ridiculous White Knight/Nice Guy vs. Jerks narrative they construct. It. Is. Fantasy.

    edit #2: I can cite exactly where he said each of those things, btw.

    Your first edit is not at all what I said. I'm not superficially nice. I just am nice. It's what I do.

    Edit: Space, I missed where you asked me about it. Quote it or something, I didn't see it amongst all the retarded shit being tossed my way.

    JustinSane07 on
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    He meant Improv and I. 'cause we aren't pulling any punches. You are much more calm and collected, SM, and that is why you are classy.

    Anyway. I can shut up about it now.

    OnTheLastCastle on
    I'm a published writer and have a very unique and interesting writing style. I'm also sharp and witty. My profile is well-written and hilarious. My messages are likewise brilliant. And I've been doing this stuff for...four or five years. I know what "works" in terms of good internet dating writing. "Works" in the sense of leading to a "date" with a human female.

    twitch.tv/onthelastcastle
  • OnTheLastCastleOnTheLastCastle let's keep it haimish for the peripatetic Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    That is not nearly all he said and that is not even the WAY he said that one particular thing.

    edit: We are also talking about dating. Justin's "I am OVERLY and SUPERFICIALLY NICE to make her LIKE me. That is all that dating is, right?" is not good. I'm not letting guys who don't know any better or who're starting on that dark road to go with that and the whole ridiculous White Knight/Nice Guy vs. Jerks narrative they construct. It. Is. Fantasy.

    edit #2: I can cite exactly where he said each of those things, btw.

    Your first edit is not at all what I said. I'm not superficially nice. I just am nice. It's what I do.

    No, not letting someone pay part of their bill NO MATTER WHAT when they want to is not nice. Do you get why? You have to take other peoples feelings into account to be nice.

    OnTheLastCastle on
    I'm a published writer and have a very unique and interesting writing style. I'm also sharp and witty. My profile is well-written and hilarious. My messages are likewise brilliant. And I've been doing this stuff for...four or five years. I know what "works" in terms of good internet dating writing. "Works" in the sense of leading to a "date" with a human female.

    twitch.tv/onthelastcastle
  • JustinSane07JustinSane07 __BANNED USERS regular
    edited June 2010
    Just because I tell someone "No, I got it" when they offer doesn't mean I'm not taking their feelings into account.

    JustinSane07 on
  • BEAST!BEAST! Adventurer Adventure!!!!!Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    He said that she:

    a) did not try to force the issue and enjoyed him enough to want to see him again
    b) possibly saw that she could take advantage of his good nature

    I don't care if you guys believe that he had the wrong intentions. You are still crying sexism over the simple act of one person wanting to pay. Yes women have their own money, and women have their own MINDS. If she REALLY felt uncomfortable doing it she could easily make it known. If a lady wants to pay for the next date she can say that at the time. Nowhere did he say that he was going to pay for everything forever and ever, but he likes to pay for the first date and she did not object in any obvious manner (obviously since she saw him again).

    BEAST! on
Sign In or Register to comment.