Options

Memorizing French Paragraph

2»

• Options
    PaladinPaladin Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    If you're just planning to memorize, go about it like you'd play a perfect run of Mirror's Edge. Memorize the first sentence perfectly, then memorize the second perfectly. Stop, and recite the first sentence, then see if you can remember the first few words of the second sentence. Hopefully your mind will have bridged the gap and all you have to do is remember the linkage between two perfectly memorized sentences. Then, once you can recite the two sentences as a whole, memorize the third sentence, recite and link.

Once you've done it for the entire passage, get a good night's sleep, and try to see how much you can remember the next morning. Chances are, you'll be able to link sentences together in chunks, but there will be gaps between some of them. First, check your sentences for veracity. Are there any errors within the sentences - small words or inflections? Concentrate on those first, and memorize and recite the adjacent sentences next to them. After that, take care of the gaps by dividing them unevenly: recite a passage that includes the gap and several adjacent sentences you've already memorized, then as a quick test see if you can rehitch the perfectly memorized sentences into the cluster you should already have down. Just remember to check yourself every once in a while to make sure you aren't forming more gaps in your memory by going through a routine recitation of the elements you found easiest to memorize.

Do this after all the rest of your studies right before bed and right when you wake up in the morning, and get a good night's sleep. Do this for at least 2 to 6 nights depending on the length of the passage.

If you don't want to simply memorize, but truly wish to grasp the language, then learn grammatical structure on the fly so you can instead follow a narrative inside your head independent of recited syllables. So yeah, this post shouldn't really be helpful unless you slack off and start to panic. Good luck.

Paladin on
    Marty: The future, it's where you're going?
    Doc: That's right, twenty five years into the future. I've always dreamed on seeing the future, looking beyond my years, seeing the progress of mankind. I'll also be able to see who wins the next twenty-five world series.
  • Options
    lsukalellsukalel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Put it in a song? That really works for me.

lsukalel on