As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Week o Games, 4/25: Splinter Cell PC, Serious SamSE, Super SFIV, Nier, Fifa, Agarest

slash000slash000 Registered User regular
edited April 2010 in Games and Technology

Another week, another 7 days of new game releases!

Welcome to the 111 edition of G&T's newly traditional "Weekly Games Release Thread!" - Week 4/25/10 - 5/1/10 !

Where we discuss what we're looking forward to, what we're going to buy, and what we're just now realizing is being released this week that we had forgotten about!

NDS

020034b.jpg

Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story (DSi White Bundle)

961028_126537.jpg

DodoGo! (DSiware I think...)

PC

647086b.jpg

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

header.jpg?t=1271095542

Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter

The Whispered World
Vampireville
Samantha Swift Trilogy
Fishdom 2

PS3

270194b.jpg

Super Street Fighter IV

270426b.jpg

NIER

270369b.jpg

Dead to Rights: Retribution

270497b.jpg

2010 FIFA World Cup South Africa

Tecmo Bowl Throwback

Dante's Inferno: Trials of St. Lucia

Kick-Ass

Lead and Gold: Gangs of the Wild West

PSP

190037b.jpg

PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe

190032b.jpg

Harvest Moon: Hero of Leaf Valley

190013b.jpg

Wii

230774b.jpg

230363b.jpg

Free Running

Xbox360

200006b.jpg

Super Street Fighter IV

header.jpg?t=1271095542

Serious Sam HD: The Second Encounter

51Fa84gRxJL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

Record of Agarest War

200040b.jpg

200647b.jpg

Dead to Rights: Retribution

200712b.jpg

NIER

Tecmo Bowl Throwback

Dante's Inferno: Trials of St. Lucia

Looks like a reasonable week.

The DSi gets a bundle with a copy of Mario & Luigi: BIS for free, I think. Also a game called Dodogo!, which, presumably, dislikes smoke.

PC gets the Ubi-DRM-errific version of Splinter Cell: Conviction. Fortunately most paying customers will probably find a way not to have to connect to UPlay to enjoy it fairly soon, or so we expect.

PC and 360 are getting Serious Sam: The Second Encounter HD. I think it adds more cool stuff this time around, rather than just HD graphics. I think it adds some additional multiplayer stuff? Not sure but I love me some Serious Sam.

PS3 and 360 get Super Street Fighter IV. I loved SFIV to death and this $40 update adds a lot of new characters, new moves, and new online features. I think it's a fantastic deal for any fighting game fan considering how much they're adding on top of an already awesome game.

Also on PS3 and 360 is a game called NIER. I have no idea what it is, but the newsblogs have been blabbing about it. Also, the HD consoles get Dead To Rights Retribution, and Tecmo Bowl Throwback.

PSP gets a new Harvest Moon game called Leaf Valley. Most HM games have been on DS/Wii lately so this is nice for PSP owners I guess, if it's a good one. PSP also gets PixelJunk Monsters Deluxe on UMD for $10. All I know is that Monsters is a great PS3 game so this is probably great too.

Everything gets the new Fifa game.

The Wii gets some kind of interesting-looking game called Free Running. It looks like the acrobatics of Prince of Persia or Mirror's Edge, but with other tricks and in an open-area arena in which you rack up a high score like in the older Tony Hawk games. It sounds great and looks okay-ish but there are no reviews that I know of, so it might end up being awesome or it might end up being not-awesome, dunno.

The 360 also gets the game called Record of Agarest War. I think it's an RPG but I'm not sure, because all the newsblogs ever talk about with regards to the game is how naughty the promotional materials have been.

slash000 on

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Boob mousepad...huh.

Street Fighta FO!

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That new Dead To Rights looks completely terrible.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Santa ClaustrophobiaSanta Claustrophobia Ho Ho Ho Disconnecting from Xbox LIVERegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's because it's a Dead to Rights game.

Santa Claustrophobia on
  • Options
    Battle JesusBattle Jesus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, the Whispered World comes out this week? So bought.

Battle Jesus on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    SorensonSorenson Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh wow, is it Second Encounter time already? My does the time fly. I just hope we can get a preload running soon.

EDIT: Waitaminute, they made *another* Dead to Rights game? Who the fuck keeps funding this shit?

Sorenson on
  • Options
    cooljammer00cooljammer00 Hey Small Christmas-Man!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Namco, apparently. And this time, it's a prequel/reboot. You don't start off with the dog, or something.

cooljammer00 on
    steam_sig.png

3DS Friend Code: 2165-6448-8348 www.Twitch.TV/cooljammer00
    Battle.Net: JohnDarc#1203 Origin/UPlay: CoolJammer00
  • Options
    Fig-DFig-D Tustin, CA, USRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Super SFIV without hesitation.

I may end up grabbing The Whispering World as well. It went up on D2D yesterday and I was checking out the screenshots when a wave of nostalgia washed over me. If its any good at all, I'll be plopping down the $30 for that too.

Fig-D on
    SteamID - Fig-D :: PSN - Fig-D
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nothing for me until Mario Galaxy 2. I have BoDVII from last week still, plus my bro is buying SSFIV, since he and I played the he'll outta my copy of the first one, so that'll be good.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    Darth_MogsDarth_Mogs Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd get that Harvest Moon game if it wasn't a remake/Port/whatever of Save the Homeland for PS2. Because that was just awful.

Darth_Mogs on
    Kupowered - It's my Blog!
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh look, another Ubi game to not get on my PC. (laffo!)

What's that Bowser's Inside Story game of the DS? First I've heard of it.

Also, Super SFIV damn it I want it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Its the most recent Mario RPG, Henroid. Came out a bit ago, but its now a pack in with the DSi.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I refuse to play any Mario RPGs until I beat the one on the Super Nintendo. Which is gonna be a long time coming because when I tried a few years ago my file went bye bye. Lost motivation. D:

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I could tell you that the SNES one plays completely different/has no connections to the current series of portable Mario RPG games and that you should play them anyway, but I suspect others on this board have probably done it before.

I'll just say this: Bower's Inside Story is really good. You should play it.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well get yourself some more motivation then. Do what must be done. 'cause you're seriously missing out on some good shit if you're holding off 'cause of SMRPG.

That Fifa game actually reminded me, though, how badly did Acadamy of Champions (AKA The Pele Soccar School for the Physically Horrifying) tank? I don't even remember when it came out, but I'm bettin' it didn't do too well.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I just want to have a perspective or sorts in experiencing the first RPG, and then the new stuff they've been coming up with. I'm weird like that, I know.

Good to hear it's good though, I'll look into it when I can.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Dodge AspenDodge Aspen Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bowser's Inside Story is one of the best DS games of all time. Pure gold.

Dodge Aspen on
    Xbox - Dodge Mega
    Switch - SW-3699-5063-5018

• Options
    MinionOfCthulhuMinionOfCthulhu Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bowser's Inside Story is one of the best DS games of all time. Pure gold.

I'd lime if I wasn't so lazy. It was fantastic. The GBA one is great too. The middle one though? Eh. I hate those goddamn babies.

MinionOfCthulhu on
    mgssig.jpg1152dt.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I agree. Fortunately, the second game is almost completely disconnected from the other two story-wise so you can pretty much skip it.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The internet seems to have unanimously agreed that SSFIV is a great deal but to be honest, a couple of new characters and tweaks really doesn't make for a $40 purchase to me.

It'll probably be cheap soon enough, though.

Darlan on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nier looks to be the spiritual successor to Drakengard. I want to play it out of morbid curiosity.

Turkey on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Darlan wrote: »
    The internet seems to have unanimously agreed that SSFIV is a great deal but to be honest, a couple of new characters and tweaks really doesn't make for a $40 purchase to me.

It'll probably be cheap soon enough, though.

I didn't buy SFIV. I wanted to see what they would do in this situation and they chose to release a new title altogether rather than some DLC pack or a series of. So I guess I won out by waiting.

Henroid on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    SSFIV will be overprinted for at least one of the two systems and have a fire sale at BB or other stores in the next half a year or so, and since it is the second biggest fighting game this gen they'll be plenty of people online on the 360 at least by the time you pick it up.

People who have been training for six months, mind you...

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah that's kind of the fear of getting in late on the game. The only people really playing are the good ones. I'm not exactly good at fighting games. Not terrible, but I've seen the ridiculous shit people do in them and I'll be outclassed.

Luckily I only really intend to play with friends. The shame of defeat is less so when by their hands. <_<

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    We've also got a wide variety of SFIV players right here on the PA forums should you choose to take your Street Fightering online. There are some who are just starting out and some who are able to play competitively, with most of us falling somewhere in between.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I'll get Super IV eventually. Super IV was one of my favorite games of last year, and I sunk many hours into it. Lots of fun playing with everyone from the PA boards online. We got some ass-kicking awesome SF players around here.

slash000 on
  • Options
    Unco-ordinatedUnco-ordinated NZRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    slash000 wrote: »
    The 360 also gets the game called Record of Agarest War. I think it's an RPG but I'm not sure, because all the newsblogs ever talk about with regards to the game is how naughty the promotional materials have been.

It's a low budget mediocre SRPG. The PS3 version already came out in PAL territories in October last year and it appears the US is only this week getting the 360 version and the PS3 version (on the PSN).

Anyway, I probably would've bought Splinter Cell Conviction for the PC but Ubisoft's DRM has ensured I'm not going near it, even if a crack does come out. Otherwise, I'm not really interested in anything else listed.

I have gotten a laugh out of Square Enix naming Nier one of their 'big' 2010 games. Changing the main character completely so that it'll appeal to western audiences hasn't been well received before and I seriously doubt it will now. And I doubt the hermaphrodite issue will create as much controversy as they wanted.

Unco-ordinated on
    Steam ID - LiquidSolid170 | PSN ID - LiquidSolid
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nothing this week

This is resting time :)

Wait...what is Record of Agarest War? Hmm...

Also I wasn't even aware of a new Dead to Rights

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I know nothing about Nier, either

Hermaphrodites?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I don't think the hermaphrodite thing will cause any controversy, honestly, because this is the first I've even heard of it. I also had no idea they changed the main character for the western audience or whatever.

Actually I haven't heard much about this game in general, although I have often seen news postings on various newsblogs about it.

slash000 on
  • Options
    HyperAquaBlastHyperAquaBlast Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I want to get Serious Sam but this is totally a game steam will have a super cheap sale on sometime this year.

HyperAquaBlast on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kainé: A scantily clad NPC swordswoman accompanying Nier who has drawn media attention for being a hermaphrodite.[6] Kainé became intersex following possession by a demon, which also gave her a disposition towards swearing constantly.[7

Why would that draw media attention?

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The media used to be hooked on gay people. Now that gay people are acceptable, it's time to move on to something else.

Henroid on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Gay people are acceptable now? Quick somebody tell my state's media and government so we can get Prop 8 (Gay Marriage Ban) overturned and I can stop hearing about it on the news every other day.

Fig-D on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, I don't think the hermaphrodite thing will cause any controversy, honestly, because this is the first I've even heard of it. I also had no idea they changed the main character for the western audience or whatever.

Actually I haven't heard much about this game in general, although I have often seen news postings on various newsblogs about it.

It's pretty hilarious. The PS3 japan only version is Nier: Replicant where the main character is a young effeminate guy, saving his sister. While the 360 version, which is the only version coming out in the west, is Nier: Gestalt (just Nier here) and has the main character a gruff, old, scarred, musclebound guy and instead of a sister it's his daughter.

Not stereotyping west vs east video game heroes there at all!

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Kainé: A scantily clad NPC swordswoman accompanying Nier who has drawn media attention for being a hermaphrodite.[6] Kainé became intersex following possession by a demon, which also gave her a disposition towards swearing constantly.[7

Why would that draw media attention?
    Tits-and-ass fanservice character turned into a foulmouthed herm after being possessed by a coproliliac penis monster? Shit, all she'd have to do is be the star of a violent FPS and she'd be a home run for the videogame watchdogs and other moral guardians.

EDIT: Oh, Neir is that game? Shit, I remember now when that was first announced and the chortling we had about the subject.

Sorenson on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »

It's pretty hilarious. The PS3 japan only version is Nier: Replicant where the main character is a young effeminate guy, saving his sister. While the 360 version, which is the only version coming out in the west, is Nier: Gestalt (just Nier here) and has the main character a gruff, old, scarred, musclebound guy and instead of a sister it's his daughter.

Not stereotyping west vs east video game heroes there at all!

Uh

This is mostly right

But Nier is coming out on both PS3 and 360 in the US

But the "manly" version is only available on 360 in Japan

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I find that change a huge turn-on on terms of playing Nier.

Turkey on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, the japanese 360 version is the only one coming out in the west, but it will be on PS3 here too. Didn't phrase that quite right.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Turkey wrote: »
    I find that change a huge turn-on on terms of playing Nier.

:winky:

UnbreakableVow on
  • Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nothing this week

This is resting time :)

Wait...what is Record of Agarest War? Hmm...

Another horrible, blatantly pandering Idea Factory RPG.

Avoid it like the plague.

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png