As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[NIER] - The words tell you to purchase Frankenstein's game.

StuartenhaffenStuartenhaffen Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
"Weiss, you dumbass! Start making sense you rotten book or you're gonna be sorry. Maybe I'll rip your pages out one by one, or maybe I'll put you on the God damn furnace! How can someone with such a big smart brain get hypnotised like a little bitch huh? "Oh Shadowlord, I love you Shadowlord. Come over here and give Weiss a big sloppy kiss Shadowlord." Now pull your head out of your ass and START FUCKING HELPING US!"

niery.jpg

Welcome to NIER. An action RPG on the PS3 and 360 from Cavia, the studio behind the very trippy Drakengard. Things are still a little trippy in the world of NIER, but it's a nice trip.

STORY

NIER takes place in a world on the brink of destruction. Monsters known as shades threaten the land and a disease named the "Black Scrawl" is a constant threat to the people. You take on the role of a father, doing what he can to make ends meet in order to ease the life of his daughter who suffers from this disease. You will do anything in order to help her, even chase after fairy tales.

CHARACTERS
niergrimoireweiss2120x.jpg

The Father - A gruff, no nonsense man. Ugly as sin but makes up for that by being an all round nice guy.

Weiss - A Grimoire of legend. General book of awesomeness.

Kaine - She had a detrimental conflict with a demon which has made her a bit of an outcast. It also gave her the "Black Scrawl." She is pretty angry about this, who wouldn't be? She wears ribbons and strings as if they are clothes.

???? - A mysterious companion who uses magic . It looks like a skeleton, nuff said.

Yonah - The daughter of the main dude. She has it pretty bad. The "Black Scrawl" is debilitating, so she generally is bed ridden. All she wants is for her dad to be by her side.

GAMEPLAY

NIER can be summed up as a simple hack and slash game with a little bit of every bloody genre sprinkled on top! This gives the game a very unique identity which I'll spoiler due to information overload.

Basics
Like a typical hack and slash, you have a basic weapon attack and a magic attack.
To attack with your weapon you push Square/X. Very simple. Magic on the other hand is assigned to the shoulder buttons. As you progress you unlock different spells, so you ultimately have to chose which ones to cast. The shoulder buttons also control actions such as block and evade, so you can mix and match with a variety of abilities.

Word Play/Pre-fix/Suffix/Upgrading

nierwordeditmenuforupgr.jpg

The RPG elements really come alive in regards to weapon and spell customisation. Cavia have designed a system that uses words to bestow stats onto weapons and spells in order to improve them.

Example - We have a Bastard sword in our possession and the words "PAH" and "RAN".
"PAH" gives us a 2% attack bonus. "RAN" gives us an increased item drop rate.
When combined with the Bastard sword we get a PAH RAN Bastard sword with the stats of the two words attached. The more words you have, the more customisation you have. As the game progresses, various status changing words pop up, imbuing weapons with poison or paralyse. Take into account that every weapon and spell in the game can be customised, that's a lot of variation.

Weapons can also have levels. When you reach a certain point in the story, you can start upgrading your gear. To do this, you need materials. Materials are scattered throughout the world, you just need to gather them up. Tis simple.

Fishing and Farming

s38348ps332.jpg

Cavia in their infinite wisdom decided to make the fishing tutorial god awful.
Here are some tips. You start fishing by pushing O/B. Wait until the pole gives a sharp pull towards the water and hit X/A, when you hit the button, pull back on the left stick. The goal is to push the left stick in the opposite way of the fish in order to chip down its HP. Once it's HP hits 0, you automatically catch it. The problem is that the game is quite finicky when it comes to the left stick. You should not push the stick completely to the side, you should have it more like "down left" or "down right." If you push the stick all the way across you will lose the fish.
In the introduction to fishing quest, the beach you get the pole at is NOT the beach you have to catch the fish at. I spent an age fishing up tin cans until I realised this D:

screenshot2085488988126.jpg

Farming - Pick the seeds, pick the fertiliser. Water and watch. Make sure to harvest before the things wilt

Two things make this game really outstanding - The localisation and the Music.

A great deal of care has been given to the voice acting and writing in the game. Character interactions are extremely colourful and show a care that mimics the outstanding work found in Resonance of Fate. Grimoire Weiss sounds like Julian Clary and Alan Rickman mixed into one. His commentary about everything around him and his bickering with the companions is a pleasure to listen to.

Another thing that shines is the soundtrack. The music in this game is epic. The overworld theme is particularly catchy.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IlC-5ihAU44

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=atFZGWy2yag&feature=related

NIER is a game that unfortunately doesn't have a lot of hype going for it. Evidence for this is that I'm making a thread about it. And with SSFIV coming out on the same day, I really hope some people will give it a look.

If you enjoy a good hack and slash with a dash of everything thrown in, and don't mind the fact that the game doesn't have AAA polish thrown on it, then give it a go.
And if this exhaustive intro don't float your boat. How does the ability to TOKYO DRIFT GIANT BOARS into sheep/goats/deer get ya?

And if that still doesn't seal the deal, then read this review - http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/nier-review

Stuartenhaffen on

• Options
    Lunatic ClamLunatic Clam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I just rented this via GameFly - looks interesting enough

Lunatic Clam on
    Friend Code 0302-1076-6730
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Nier may not have gotten a huge budget, but it's one amazingly atmospheric game that is going to go down as a cult classic. It was a complete mindfuck when I looked on 2ch and there was basically nobody slandering the game. When I actually went out to pick up the game for myself, I had a really hard time finding the damn thing too (well, the "replicant" version of it anyway).

The game kind of gives me a Shadow of the Colossus vibe.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, this game actually looks interesting.

Will get it once I get enough money.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    CygnusZ wrote: »
    Nier may not have gotten a huge budget, but it's one amazingly atmospheric game that is going to go down as a cult classic. It was a complete mindfuck when I looked on 2ch and there was basically nobody slandering the game. When I actually went out to pick up the game for myself, I had a really hard time finding the damn thing too (well, the "replicant" version of it anyway).

The game kind of gives me a Shadow of the Colossus vibe.

I got a Shadow of the Colossus vibe from it as well. The open fields have that eerie-ness that SOTC had, and the protagonist actually runs like the wanderer did (arms out to the side, flapping about.)

Stuartenhaffen on
  • Options
    MoioinkMoioink Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kaine - A he-she or she-man.

That's pretty gross and offensive. Please leave those derogatory terms out of her character summary.

Reconsider your topic title too please. From what I can tell she presents herself as female and uses female pronouns so no need to bring her womanhood in question because of a demon enforced intersex condition (god bless Japan).

Moioink on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Edited, my apologies if anyone was offended.

Stuartenhaffen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    No worries! Thank you for your understanding.

I am quite interested in this game but I can't really justify buying it on release. It will undoubtedly be £15 or less on Play or Amazon within 3 months.

Moioink on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hadn't heard one thing about this until I got an email from Square Enix pimping it. I assume they're just doing Euro publishing or something?

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I can understand that. The reason I bought it at release is because I was essentially getting it for free, plus I'm a sucker for anything with the S-E name attached to it. I've just been really surprised about how much I'm enjoying it. Once the price drops it will really be worth it.

Stuartenhaffen on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    You should post the eurogamer review.

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/nier-review

It's pretty much what got me from being indifferent to "holy shit i want to play that.".

Not that they were incredibly flattering or whatever (only gave a 6 which is good by EG standards), but they describe the game enough that someone like me would want to play it. :lol:

Antihippy on
  • Options
    DelzhandDelzhand Hard to miss. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Huh. Seems like the kind of game I'd rather watch an LP of than actually play. But seriously, the voice of Lezard Valeth channeling Alan Rickman? That alone has made it a rental at least.

Delzhand on
  • Options
    SnareSnare Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The name of this thread is AWESOME :)

Snare on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm very interested in this game. Cavia's recent games have been much better than their older work in terms of gameplay.

Turkey on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How have I not heard of this? God I need more money.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Eight RooksEight Rooks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Twenty hours in and this is probably the best bad game I've played in a while. The Eurogamer review is largely spot on; you really can't recommend this exactly. It's hideously ugly more often than not, it's simplistic, it's reductive, it makes no goddamned sense, every single one of its ideas is in there 'just 'cause'... but it throws so much stuff at the wall a good amount of it sticks. I mean, how can you not like a cross between Shadow of the Colossus, The Red Star, Breath of Fire and Resident Evil? (With a bit of text adventure thrown in?) And while the production values mostly hit rock bottom, the music and much of the voice acting is outstanding. Weiss tails off a little as the game goes on, but he's still made me genuinely laugh out loud more than once, and Kaine probably tops Sazh in the should-be-a-painful-walking-joke-but-somehow-isn't stakes.

I can't recommend it. But I'd encourage anyone after something a little... different to go check it out. And hell, it's a far better game than Drakengard ever was.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

Read my book. (It has a robot in it.)
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So for those of you who played Drakengard, Nier takes place in that universe from what I've heard. One of the endings created Nier's universe? I'm actually considering playing Drakengard just because of this game, even though I've heard the former is pretty much terrible in all areas except at being batshit insane.

Gilder on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I am being somewhat facetious; never finished even Drakengard 1, it was that boring. NieR is making me want to go back, though. I'll give Cavia this - no-one's quite their special brand of nuts. I have no idea how the hell they keep managing to convince anyone, let alone Squenix, to keep giving them money.

Oh, and the Red Star connection cannot be over-emphasised. We need more third-person bullet-hell shooters. The boss fights in this are frequently awesome, though entirely too easy on normal with only a little power-levelling.

Eight Rooks on
    <AtlusParker> Sorry I'm playing Pokemon and vomiting at the same time so I'm not following the conversation in a linear fashion.

• Options
    DartboyDartboy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    This game sounds like it falls into the same category as Deadly Premonition and EDF: not technically a great game, but does enough stuff in unique ways to make it interesting.

And hell, if those songs are representative of the whole soundtrack, this would be worth picking up for the music alone.

Dartboy on
  • Options
    CherrnCherrn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Gilder wrote: »
    So for those of you who played Drakengard, Nier takes place in that universe from what I've heard. One of the endings created Nier's universe? I'm actually considering playing Drakengard just because of this game, even though I've heard the former is pretty much terrible in all areas except at being batshit insane.

It really is. A better choice would be to just check out a playthrough on Youtube. The game was pretty terrible at release, but in 2010 I can't even imagine how bad it is.

That said, I still own it, and I kind of want to get Nier for the sole reason that it's even partially connected.

Cherrn on
    All creature will die and all the things will be broken. That's the law of samurai.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    The music is one reason I picked it up.

All the EDF games (well, aside from the spinoff) are genuinely great, the franchise just throws everything else out of the window - realism, polish, what have you. NieR is not great by any stretch of the imagination. It's an absolute mess without any kind of direction. But it has some genuinely fantastic moments the like of which you simply will not see in any of the triple-A blockbusters around right now. So far I've had more genuine entertainment out of it (as opposed to 'How the hell is my PS3 doing this', etc., etc.) than God of War III.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That review... I... must own this game.

DemonStacey on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    And the review still doesn't completely manage to sum up how weird the tone is. It's utterly straight-faced and yet occasionally hilariously sarcastic; it hasn't managed to keep up the genuinely decent gags, at least not to where I've played, but it's really like it's gunning for some sort of unearthly, seriously odd fantasy buddy-movie vibe while still aiming for real pathos, and I've never played anything else quite like it. It's too smart for HURF DURF I R SMASH THINGS, but too cack-handed, amateurish and gung-ho to be doing outright satire.

I'm not surprised the Japanese would go for it. It's like a HD makeover of all those interchangeable JRPGs from the early days of the PS2, only weirder.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    thorpethorpe Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So... what console is this out on?

thorpe on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    PS3 and 360. The western markets get one version of the game, called straight 'NieR'. Japan gets two: 360 over there gets the Western version, subtitled NieR: Gestalt, and the PS3 gets a Japanese-exclusive version called NieR: Replicant. Replicant sees the hero changed from the grizzled old dude on the artwork in the OP to a more Japan-centric effete young man; where in Gestalt it's a dad trying to save his daughter, in Replicant it's a brother trying to save his sister. Gestalt actually came first, so it wasn't changed for (supposed) Western tastes, it was the other way round... but regular NieR is still a horrible, horrible character design. Good dialogue and voice acting though.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cherrn wrote: »
    Gilder wrote: »

It really is. A better choice would be to just check out a playthrough on Youtube. The game was pretty terrible at release, but in 2010 I can't even imagine how bad it is.

That said, I still own it, and I kind of want to get Nier for the sole reason that it's even partially connected.

Better still, just read the screenshot let's play at SA.

http://lparchive.org/LetsPlay/Drakengard/

cj iwakura on
    wVEsyIc.png
  • Options
    Mostlyjoe13Mostlyjoe13 Evil, Evil, Jump for joy! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So this game is a mashup of various concepts that shouldn't work but turned out to this be ugly awesome love child of action games and RPGs?

Mostlyjoe13 on
    PSN ID - Mostlyjoe Steam ID -TheNotoriusRNG
  • Options
    MadpandaMadpanda suburbs west of chicagoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Moioink wrote: »
    No worries! Thank you for your understanding.

I am quite interested in this game but I can't really justify buying it on release. It will undoubtedly be £15 or less on Play or Amazon within 3 months.

If that long, even for big name titles the discounts seem to start weeks after release.

I played Drakenguard 1 and 2(though I try to forget this one) once this goes under $20 i'll check it out.

Madpanda on
    camo_sig2.png
    Steam/PSN/XBL/Minecraft / LoL / - Benevicious | WoW - Duckwood - Rajhek
  • Options
    EliminationElimination Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I liked both drakengard games a lot. Well mostly the first. But i liked it because i liked the plot and crazy characters, as well as the weird ass setting with the people bonded to monsters and stuff. I admit the gameplay was a little lame, but the rest of it was awesome.

Elimination on
    PSN: PA_Elimination 3DS: 4399-2012-1711 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/TheElimination/
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So this game is a mashup of various concepts that shouldn't work but turned out to this be ugly awesome love child of action games and RPGs?

Some flat out don't. Or at least it's patently obvious there's no particular point behind them being included. But they still have a... spark, if you will, a feeling Cavia genuinely did this because for some reason they thought they'd be cool. The camera changes are pointless and somewhat clumsy, but it's still nifty having the game briefly turn into Contra-lite; they're perfectly playable and don't outstay their welcome. The fetch-quests are long, boring and frequently pointless in practical terms (several have no reward whatsoever), but there's little bits of dialogue for all of them that flesh out the characters in gratifying ways - sometimes a gag, sometimes a brief moment of pathos. The combat's simplistic and easily exploitable, but there's still any number of neat little touches to it, from the whispering voices when you absorb blood from a whole lot of kills at once, to the sheer amusement value in darting around with one of the giant spears, doing the dash attack over and over like some kind of psychotic figure skater.

It's certainly ugly, and it's a complete mess. But it does have any number of awesome moments scattered through it.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    Am I wrong to get a kind of Panzer Dragoon vibe from Nier? It seems to have that over-worldly dreamlike sadness about it along with the moody music. One of the locations I saw in a video (finding media for this game that aren't old trailers is very hard by the way) looked like it was pulled directly from Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Maybe that's just me being desperate though.

Moioink on
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I know I'm singlehandedly causing the death of the video game industry with this attitude, but this is a solid case of I'm interested, but nowhere near enough to pay release price for it.

Stick it in the Goozex queue, keep an eye out for a clearance sale, wonder why nobody makes niche quirky games anymore.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CygnusZCygnusZ Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I understand being cheap as much as the rest of you, but if you can afford this game and you care at all about the ability of developers to MAKE this kind of game, maybe you should buy it at release. Seriously, the industry is faltering and unless this type of games make decent sales, we're going to basically see the end of developers putting out these somewhat risky games.

CygnusZ on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Twenty hours in and this is probably the best bad game I've played in a while. The Eurogamer review is largely spot on; you really can't recommend this exactly. It's hideously ugly more often than not, it's simplistic, it's reductive, it makes no goddamned sense, every single one of its ideas is in there 'just 'cause'... but it throws so much stuff at the wall a good amount of it sticks. I mean, how can you not like a cross between Shadow of the Colossus, The Red Star, Breath of Fire and Resident Evil? (With a bit of text adventure thrown in?) And while the production values mostly hit rock bottom, the music and much of the voice acting is outstanding. Weiss tails off a little as the game goes on, but he's still made me genuinely laugh out loud more than once, and Kaine probably tops Sazh in the should-be-a-painful-walking-joke-but-somehow-isn't stakes.

I can't recommend it. But I'd encourage anyone after something a little... different to go check it out. And hell, it's a far better game than Drakengard ever was.

Man.

I just want this more now.

I'll probably get it once I recovered the money SSF4 has taken from me.

I'm really getting a deadly premonitions vibe off this. You wouldn't recommend as a good game but it's so kooky and charming that it turns into something fantastic.

Antihippy on
  • Options
    InexactQuotientInexactQuotient Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Japan sending us a game minus the androgyny?

I support this idea.

InexactQuotient on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    WotanAnubisWotanAnubis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Aaarrgh.

Interesting but flawed is practically my kryptonite. I've frequently really enjoyed games I know are mediocre at best simply because they're doing something I haven't really seen before.

So... I guess I might have to buy this. As if my backlog wasn't bloated enough already.

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    (it's not often RPG barkeeps great the hero with a casual "'Sup"

This game sounds brilliant.

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Heh. Just finished the first dungeon. If this is a sign of things to come, I think I'm gonna like this game.
    You stand in a chamber filled with enemies. A magical barrier blocks the way. What do you do?
    Why, keep hitting the magical barrier until the (very arrogant) book inside of it starts complaining about your continued violence. Obviously!

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Yeah, on that note, the bit where Nier ends up saying "Who, me? Nah, I'm just some big guy who kills things." is still funny even when you know it's coming.

Eight Rooks on

• Options
    edited April 2010
    How do you pronounce this game's name anyway? I tend to go with... well, 'nier' as in 'the Dutch word for kidney', which I suspect isn't the right pronounciation.

Should it be something like 'ny-er' or something?

WotanAnubis on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't know. Never heard anyone pronounce it. There's a Dutch guy on another forum I visit who made that crack too... :lol: I generally go with 'near', though I haven't a clue if that's correct.

Twenty-four hours in and I still really like it, though grinding is killing the game for me - not in the sense it's not fun, just that it makes things way, way too easy. I'm slaughtering bosses or bigger enemies in seconds, which kind of nullifies a good deal of the tension. Also wondering how the story's about to pan out, since it seems very piecemeal currently. I'm not seeing Squenix's much-touted big twists anywhere on the horizon. Perhaps that's a good thing?

Still enjoying it, though, warts and all. There's just nothing else currently out quite like it.

Eight Rooks on