As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Video off my 1394 camcorder: Whudamigunado?

CZroeCZroe Registered User regular
edited January 2007 in Games and Technology
On Black Friday, I got a small MiniDV camcorder for cheap along with a Tri-Pod and stuff. I need to know what program I can use to get video off it in either whatever native format it uses or uncompressed frames.

I'd like to record myself doing tricks, glitches, speedruns, etc without a capture card (or with both so I can show "the player" and the direct-feed content together with picture-in-picture or something. I've used Windows Media Encoder a lot for video formats, conversions, aspect-ratio conversions and even a little screen-capture before, but I don't think it'll let me do PIP or anything. If anyone has a good suggestion here, I'm all ears.

Also, what tricks can I do for synchronizing audio? Let's say, I want direct-feed game audio with "in the room" commentary (no or minimal game audio echoing). That kinda thing.

CZroe on

• Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    adobe....

i forget the name but it has a black horse on the cover/logo

and its probably not cheap

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Deusfaux wrote:
    adobe....

i forget the name but it has a black horse on the cover/logo

and its probably not cheap

Awww man. My monies. :(

CZroe on
  • Options
    DeusfauxDeusfaux Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    adobe premiere!

there is an elements version too that would be cheaper

someone else will probably have a free prog to try

Deusfaux on
  • Options
    mausmalonemausmalone Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Yes. VideoLAN can open the camcorder as a capture deivce and then stream to the hard drive.

But first, you should check with all the stuff that came with your camcorder in the box and make sure it didn't already come with some sort of video importer/editor.

EDIT: Also, CapDVHS might work... it's worth a shot at least.

mausmalone on
    266.jpg
  • Options
    Mike99TAMike99TA Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Ummm...

I have a Sony MiniDV camcorder and a firewire cable and I easily pull movies off the camera with Windows MovieMaker which is free. It can capture directly from my camera (AND in widescreen since i have a 16:9 video camera), and lets me do general edits such as splitting scenes, adding transitions, dubbing audio, etc which is basically everything I need.

Aside from that, Nero Pro or Ultra or whatever comes with software to capture video/audio from your camcorder and make DVDs out of it including menus, etc.

Mike99TA on
  • Options
    LovingFFXILovingFFXI Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Oh if you don't mind a step learning curve.

http://www.avid.com/freedv/

Avid is used by most tv production companies it is really powerful but you will a lot of time pulling your hair out and reading the online documents. :P

LovingFFXI on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Drunk_caterpillarDrunk_caterpillar Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    LovingFFXI wrote:

Take it from a guy who knows. This is pretty decent stuff for a free app.

Drunk_caterpillar on
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    Tanx. Lotsa learning to do. Now where did I put that Firewire cable?!

CZroe on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    Would windows movie maker work?

In any case, you plug a firewire cable into your firewire port.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png
  • Options
    mspencermspencer PAX [ENFORCER] Council Bluffs, IARegistered User regular
    edited January 2007
    I have a question about this. Are modern budget PCs now pretty much all powerful enough to capture DV without dropping frames or losing audio sync (or other buffer overrun problems)? I have a couple of tips that would help if someone's PC seems to be incapable of handling that flood of data.

mspencer on
    MEMBER OF THE PARANOIA GM GUILD
    XBL Michael Spencer || Wii 6007 6812 1605 7315 || PSN MichaelSpencerJr || Steam Michael_Spencer || Ham NOØK
    QRZ || My last known GPS coordinates: FindU or APRS.fi (Car antenna feed line busted -- no ham radio for me X__X )
  • Options
    edited January 2007
    mspencer wrote:
    I have a question about this. Are modern budget PCs now pretty much all powerful enough to capture DV without dropping frames or losing audio sync (or other buffer overrun problems)? I have a couple of tips that would help if someone's PC seems to be incapable of handling that flood of data.
    I kinda thought that was only relevant to capturing live like from a capture card.

I've got two dual core systems with 2GB of RAM so I should be OK if I choose either one. The other PCs around aren't slouches either. :)

Now, why does the camcorder manual say I have to shut off my PC before inserting the firewire cable?! Crazy, but I don't want to risk anything.

CZroe on
  • Options
    PikaPuffPikaPuff Registered User regular
    edited January 2007
    every usb/firewire thing says to plug it in while the computer's off. so the drivers will install I guess.

maybe the first time you should listen to it and plug it in while off.

but I remember (back in 2000) always plugging in firewire while the PC was on and not having a problem. so whatever.

PikaPuff on
    jCyyTSo.png