As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The gaming related "I have a question" thread

• Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'll answer it seriously just for the benefit of those wondering.

Never.

Nintendo first party games always retain their high prices for nearly the entire life of the system.

one year before the Gamecube came out, the original Smash Bros 64 was still $80 (AUD) at my local computer store, and Super Mario 64 still cost $90!

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    urahonky on
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So I want to do a backup on my ps3 so that we can get a bigger hard drive, since it currently has it's original 80GB HD. I've got an external USB hard drive to format into FAT32 to do the backup. I'm wondering if it will keep the two profiles on the system straight from each other, in regards to whose game saves are whose and all that. My fiance and I both have our own PSN accounts/ profiles on the PS3 so I didn't know I need to do anything special so that the information gets transferred over for both of us. So can I just do the backup from my profile and all of his information on the system should get backed up as well?

Second question: if I do the full backup option (which is what I planned on doing), will my copy protected saves be there when I restore on the new hard drive? I've seen conflicting information on this while searching around to find an answer on this. It seems to be that if I am restoring to the same PS3 (which I will be doing), the copy protected saves will be there. However, if I was backing up to a different PS3 (with a different serial number), they would not be there. Can anyone confirm this about the protected saves being able to be restored to the new hard drive if it's the same PS3?

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    ZiggymonZiggymon Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Kirbith wrote: »
    So I want to do a backup on my ps3 so that we can get a bigger hard drive, since it currently has it's original 80GB HD. I've got an external USB hard drive to format into FAT32 to do the backup. I'm wondering if it will keep the two profiles on the system straight from each other, in regards to whose game saves are whose and all that. My fiance and I both have our own PSN accounts/ profiles on the PS3 so I didn't know I need to do anything special so that the information gets transferred over for both of us. So can I just do the backup from my profile and all of his information on the system should get backed up as well?

Second question: if I do the full backup option (which is what I planned on doing), will my copy protected saves be there when I restore on the new hard drive? I've seen conflicting information on this while searching around to find an answer on this. It seems to be that if I am restoring to the same PS3 (which I will be doing), the copy protected saves will be there. However, if I was backing up to a different PS3 (with a different serial number), they would not be there. Can anyone confirm this about the protected saves being able to be restored to the new hard drive if it's the same PS3?

When I put in my PS3 HDD the system memory saves the profiles already on the system, It was just a case of reinstalling game data, transferring game saves (be warned some games won't allow this) and re-downloading all my paid for content.

Ziggymon on
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So appearently, the sharpshooter doesn't work with time crisis 4. Ugh, now I have to return it.

It does work with Time Crisis Razing Storm. That game includes Time Crisis 4.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    KirbithKirbith I appear to be made of delicious cake. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ziggymon wrote: »

When I put in my PS3 HDD the system memory saves the profiles already on the system, It was just a case of reinstalling game data, transferring game saves (be warned some games won't allow this) and re-downloading all my paid for content.

Thanks for the info about the system profiles. But is that a for sure that there is no way for me to keep my copy protected saves?

Kirbith on
    Backloggery | Steam - Kirbith | PSN - Kirbith | 3DS: 4957-2249-4817
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok, here's a question.

How do I not suck at Infinite Space?

I'm up to the second boss battle, I have two decent ships in my fleet and I feel that I have a grasp on the Dodge/Normal/Barrage gameplay.

But since the accuracy on my weapons is, by default, horrendous, I can fire 15 or so seperate shots from a good barrage and almost none of them hit, while I tend to get torn apart when the enemy fires on me.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ok, here's a question.

How do I not suck at Infinite Space?

I'm up to the second boss battle, I have two decent ships in my fleet and I feel that I have a grasp on the Dodge/Normal/Barrage gameplay.

But since the accuracy on my weapons is, by default, horrendous, I can fire 15 or so seperate shots from a good barrage and almost none of them hit, while I tend to get torn apart when the enemy fires on me.

Are you targeting the ships in front?

You can change which ships you're shooting at, and if you aren't shooting at the ships in the front of the enemy formation, your accuracy drops off abysmally.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    PaperLuigi44PaperLuigi44 My amazement is at maximum capacity. Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm going for the lead ship, but isn't the accuracy for your weapons like 25-30%?

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It may be much too early to be asking this, but has Sony given any indication as to the ability to play the current PSP library on whatever the NGP/PSVita/whatever?

I assume it would be done through the store, rather than Sony churning out UMD games on those new cards.

I ask because there are a few PSP games I'd like to play, but I wouldn't mind waiting until the next model came out, since I've been interested in that (at least for now).

Synthesis on
  • Options
    RandomHajileRandomHajile Not actually a Snatcher The New KremlinRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Ziggymon wrote: »

Thanks for the info about the system profiles. But is that a for sure that there is no way for me to keep my copy protected saves?

Just do a full backup and restore to save yourself the trouble, assuming you have the space on your external. It will take a while, but copy protected saves do come over that way (my ACII save made it, so I am certain that it works). The only other way to back those up is with the PS+ cloud storage, which isn't up right now, as far as I know. I'm not sure about the interactions between multiple PS3's, but there is a separate transfer process for that. Also, make sure you sync all of your trophies over before switching hard drives.

RandomHajile on
  • Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    I'm going for the lead ship, but isn't the accuracy for your weapons like 25-30%?

Hrm. I know accuracy improves if you get closer ... Also, if your weapons have different ranges, you might be in-range for one weapon but out of range for the others, which will automatically miss. They individually turn green as they reach effective range.

Elvenshae on
  • Options
    vagrant_windsvagrant_winds Overworked Mysterious Eldritch Horror Hunter XX Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    What's the best site to import games from the UK/Europe to the USA? There's a few PSP/DS/Wii games I still have to pick up that never made it here.

vagrant_winds on
    // Steam: VWinds // PSN: vagrant_winds //
    // Switch: SW-5306-0651-6424 //
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    God of War: Chains of Olympus is very short right? Like I can beat it in a day short?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    It's about 8 hours long.

You could beat it in a day or so.

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    BartholamueBartholamue Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    So appearently, the sharpshooter doesn't work with time crisis 4. Ugh, now I have to return it.

It does work with Time Crisis Razing Storm. That game includes Time Crisis 4.

Yes, I know that now. What I got was plain Time Crisis 4, I asked the people at GameStop to give me Time Crisis and didn't tell me that it wouldn't work with this. Ugh, I should have known better.

I hate GameStop for this. What they did when they got a used bundle was they sold the game separately without the GunCon 3 and threw away the box. It is so aggravating.

Bartholamue on
    Steam- SteveBartz Xbox Live- SteveBartz PSN Name- SteveBartz
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »

Hrm. I know accuracy improves if you get closer ... Also, if your weapons have different ranges, you might be in-range for one weapon but out of range for the others, which will automatically miss. They individually turn green as they reach effective range.

I know about the icons which light up when I'm in range, but are you saying the 25-30% is just a base number that improves the closer you are? Because if so that's dangerous but it may be my only option.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    AnteCantelopeAnteCantelope Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Elvenshae wrote: »

I know about the icons which light up when I'm in range, but are you saying the 25-30% is just a base number that improves the closer you are? Because if so that's dangerous but it may be my only option.

It's been a couple of months since I've played, but you shouldn't be having too much trouble hitting your enemies. Killing them can be tough, but just hitting them shouldn't be too bad. They're more accurate when you're in range, but getting closer after that doesn't help. What I did on difficult fights is hit dodge pretty early, and then wait for the enemy to attack. Fire a barrage the instant after they attack, you're pretty much guaranteed they won't be dodging. As long as you're aiming at the lead ship you'll hit at least half the time, in my experience it was a lot higher, around 80%. If you're still mostly missing, double check that you're aiming at the front ship, as that's the most obvious thing to lower your accuracy. Also if you fire a barrage while they're dodging, you'll miss almost everything, but you probably already knew that.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Regular battles I quite enjoy, and against the second boss I'd wait for them to waste their Barrage so I could use mine, but yeah, so many of my shots miss that I feel like the odds are stacked against me.

I put the game down out of frustration a few weeks ago, I guess the only thing I can do is to try again and make sure I haven't missed something obvious.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    This conversation sounds disturbingly like X-Com with ships.

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    Hmmm, not really. If you expect something like XCOM you'll be disappointed. It's got some similar elements, but it's really a JRPG disguised as a tactics game.

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    harvestharvest By birthright, a stupendous badass.Registered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Sell them to Amazon. Or on Amazon. One is more work for you though.

harvest on
    B6yM5w2.gif
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011

Are you sure?

Weapons do get more accurate the closer you move in but I am rolling to disbelieve that a 15 shot barrage is mostly missing the ship at the front of the formation. Without wishing to teach granny to suck eggs but you mostly do not start boss battles targeting the lead ship.

Alistair Hutton on
    I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    DunxcoDunxco Should get a suit Never skips breakfastRegistered User regular
    edited May 2011
    Here's one:

I own a Nintendo DS, a PC, and an Xbox 360.

I want to play some Ghouls n Ghosts/Ghosts n Goblins.

Where be my G&G games? Do they exist as things on like, XBLA or Steam, or in a compilation game pack, or what?

If you have a game that's similar to G&G in terms of style/gameplay/difficulty and have a video of it as a substitute, this may also be acceptable.

Ta! :)

Dunxco on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Does anyone have any idea why my copy of Evil Dead Regeneration says "Not for supply in the UK" on it?

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    edited June 2011

Are you sure?

Weapons do get more accurate the closer you move in but I am rolling to disbelieve that a 15 shot barrage is mostly missing the ship at the front of the formation. Without wishing to teach granny to suck eggs but you mostly do not start boss battles targeting the lead ship.

Sure I'm sure.

And what can I say, numerous times barrages have been a waste of time. As I said I'm planning to give it another go when I'm in the mood, so we may as well leave it at that.

PaperLuigi44 on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I have a question:

What's the proper protocol for shutting off a slim PS3 that's locked up and isn't responding to the power button but is responding to the eject button (ie. hopefully not bricked)?

Do I really have no other choice than just yanking the power?

Edit: And the answer to my own question is, hold the power button down for ten long seconds and it'll shut down. Thanks, thread (and also Google)!

David_T on
    euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    So, with the buying of the Sharpshotter, I realize that I have too many games and systems for one person. Eliminating the one I play the least is the way I've chosen to do it and thus it falls on a regular DS and all of its games to be eliminated.

So what is the easiest way to sell my games/DS without losing a bucket load of money? I know Goozex, but I don't really want any games as I think I'm set for my games. I know Ebay is a general one and I'll never sell at GameStop, is there anyother site where I could possibly sell it?

Which games? I might be willing to part with some cash (read: paypal) for them.
    Dunxco wrote: »
    Here's one:

I own a Nintendo DS, a PC, and an Xbox 360.

I want to play some Ghouls n Ghosts/Ghosts n Goblins.

Where be my G&G games? Do they exist as things on like, XBLA or Steam, or in a compilation game pack, or what?

If you have a game that's similar to G&G in terms of style/gameplay/difficulty and have a video of it as a substitute, this may also be acceptable.

Ta! :)

Does your DS play GBA games? Both the original and the Super Ghouls 'n Ghosts have releases on the GBA.

Maximo is the closest thing to a Ghosts 'n Goblins game. Very similar aesthetic, very similar amounts of dying. But, that's only on the Playstation 2.

Tamin on
  • Options
    EshEsh Tending bar. FFXIV. Motorcycles. Portland, ORRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Here's my gaming related question.

I'm buying a PS2 to play Wizardy: Tales Of The Forsaken Land on. How best to not make it look like total ass on my 40" Sony Bravia LCD?

Esh on
  • Options
    GilderGilder Aw snap Macaroni PartyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Component cables for quality, although you won't be using it for 480p because hahahaha a PS2 game in 480p oh that's a rare sight, and make sure your TV is set to display the channel it's on in 4:3. I'm trying to think of PS2 games that did widescreen and the only one I can think of is Yakuza 2. Maybe FF12 and VP:Silmeria? Anyway 4:3. That's it really. The best thing to do is hook it up to a smaller, crappier TV because then it's so compressed that you don't notice how ugly it is. On my 42" though it looks okay as long as I don't focus on individual parts of the game. Just let your eyes soak it all up.

Gilder on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    The Force Unleashed 2.

Should I buy it on

a) PC
    b) Wii
    c) PS3

??

Bearing in mind I am a predominantly PC gamer, who hasn't played many games besides Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 on the PS3. I played Brotherhood on the PC and enjoyed it, and in most cases prefer mouse + keyboard to controllers. However, I'd also be open to trying it on the Wii if its good on there.

Thoughts?

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    At the risk of repeating the echo chamber, Dhalphir, I'm pretty certain you could give the game a rental and complete all of it. Including the challenges. Unless some major huge DLC dropped since then.
    Gilder wrote: »
    Component cables for quality, although you won't be using it for 480p because hahahaha a PS2 game in 480p oh that's a rare sight, and make sure your TV is set to display the channel it's on in 4:3. I'm trying to think of PS2 games that did widescreen and the only one I can think of is Yakuza 2. Maybe FF12 and VP:Silmeria? Anyway 4:3. That's it really. The best thing to do is hook it up to a smaller, crappier TV because then it's so compressed that you don't notice how ugly it is. On my 42" though it looks okay as long as I don't focus on individual parts of the game. Just let your eyes soak it all up.

I think Ace Combat 5 had widescreen support. Not necessarily good support, but I think it had it .

Synthesis on
  • Options
    edited June 2011
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    The Force Unleashed 2.

Should I buy it on

a) PC
    b) Wii
    c) PS3

??

Bearing in mind I am a predominantly PC gamer, who hasn't played many games besides Assassin's Creed 1 and 2 on the PS3. I played Brotherhood on the PC and enjoyed it, and in most cases prefer mouse + keyboard to controllers. However, I'd also be open to trying it on the Wii if its good on there.

Thoughts?

The Wii version is different. Not sure if it's better or worse, but I think it's the DS + PSP version, so... probably worse.

I can't speak for the PC version, but I heard it was a good port. I'd probably go with that.

EDIT: You might find more information if you want to dig through this: http://forums.penny-arcade.com/showthread.php?t=72116

AnteCantelope on
  • Options
    corky842corky842 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Gilder wrote: »

Actually, quite a few games could use 480p and/or 16:9 ratio.

corky842 on
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I went through with the 2 months for $2 XBOX Live gold deal. I don't have headphones that fit in the controller so is there some dongle I can buy at Radio Shack to make a pair of regular headphones + mic work with the XBOX system?

emnmnme on
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I don't think so; but even if there was you could get one of the cheap headsets that come with the system for the same price or less I'm sure. You can buy them on amazon for $5-10 bucks.

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand