As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

The gaming related "I have a question" thread

BTPBTP Registered User regular
edited July 2011 in Games and Technology
Let me lay this out.

So, you have a question.

You'd like to ask it on the forum, but you're not sure if it's worth making a whole new thread for it.

It's not because you think it's a stupid question, but because the question would likely be answered fairly quickly and directly, and then there would pretty much be no more point to the thread.

But perhaps many of us have our own little question we'd like to ask. That would make for several posts with many questions, which are answered with more posts by many other people.

If all of those questions and answers were in a single thread all its own, then wouldn't that sound like a worthwhile thread?

Well, whatever your answer is to that...
==================================================================

Welcome to the gaming related "I have a question thread" thread!

If you have a question, and you're not sure where to post it, then put it in here! :D

Here are some examples of what to ask and what NOT to ask:

DO ASK: Are there any Wii games that actually use the Classic Controller's ZL and ZR buttons in a worthwhile way?

Basically, it's just something you're curious about and would like an answer to it. You might also want to add what made you think of this question as it might help you get a better answer (which I will do, as I'm genuinely asking that question).

DO ASK, HOWEVER....: What's up with my PS3's clock (on Feb 28, during the clock bug issue)

I personally don't think there's anything wrong with asking that here, however there probably would be a thread about that since it affects a lot of people. But if that's the case, you can always be given a link to the post/thread that takes care of that question.

DO NOT ASK: How come "Game X" isn't on "System Y"
No. Just no. This is a thread of information, and not of the console wars or anything else that reaches toward stupid BS. Please don't be a dick.

If this thread really takes off, I might edit the OP to include links to the questions already asked in this thread. Wouldn't it be funny to see a "stupid little question" you have is already asked and answered? :P

Now then, let's start this off with my question: Are there any Wii games that actually use the Classic Controller's ZL and ZR buttons in a worthwhile way?

Without boring you to how I arrived at that question, I'll just say that it ended up with me looking back at my Wii games, figuring out which ones I have where I use the Classic Controller, and then seeing if I ever used ZL and ZR. And I don't think I ever do! It's been...what, 3 and a 1/2 years since Wii came out, and there's nothing that uses ZL and ZR? That can't be right.

The only games I have that does have some kind of use for ZL/ZR would be SSBB and Tatsunoko vs. Capcom. However, even SSBB's default CC layout uses ZL and ZR as the same button (or command) and not as distinct buttons, although you can customize the controls so that they are different buttons. As for TvC, it's only for checking out the movelist of your character, and not really for anything gameplay related and are therefore 99% unnecessary. Part of me wants to think that Monster Hunter Tri uses them for the simple fact that it's bundled with the redesigned Classic Controller Pro, but I haven't been able to check that game out, so I wouldn't know right now.

So I ask you, are there any Wii games that actually use the Classic Controller's ZL and ZR buttons in a worthwhile way?

Nintendo Wi-Fi Connection & DS High Scores Thread
I WILL NOT BE DOING 3DS FOR NWC THREAD. SOMEONE ELSE WILL HAVE TO TAKE OVER.
Spoiler contains Friend Codes. Won't you be my friend?
My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!
Mario Kart Wii: 3136-6982-0286 Tetris Party: 2364 1569 4310
Guitar Hero: Metallica: 1032 7229 7191
TATSUNOKO VS CAPCOM: 1935-2070-9123

Nintendo DS:
Worms: Open Warfare 2: 1418-7870-1606 Space Bust-a-Move: 017398 403043
Scribblenauts: 1290-7509-5558
BTP on

• Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sin and Punishment? I'll have to load it up and take a look.
    What about Monster Hunter? Seeing as how it was packed with one, it probably has some functionality.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone know of a ps3 controller whose trigger buttons aren't flimsy pieces of trash.

I've had two official controllers break within a year due to the number of games I play that have dodge or a frequently used action mapped to the triggers.

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    mere_immortalmere_immortal So tasty!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monster Hunter doesn't use em.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sengoku Basara 2 Heroes used the ZL and ZR buttons. Can't remember what one does, but one of them activates your Basara Fever mode.

blaze_zero on
  • Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Considering Smash Bros. Brawl uses a fully customizable control scheme. I use ZR for my Grab and R for Shield/Dodge.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Monster Hunter doesn't use em.

You have got to be kidding me! Why would the Classic Controller be redesigned then? Did everyone need grips that badly, or the wider separation of the analog sticks, or the removal of the analog parts in L and R?

Wow, that is so weird.

So there still really isn't a game out there that needs all 8 buttons on the Classic Controller (excluding Brawl)? That is nuts.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    Jubal77Jubal77 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone know of a ps3 controller whose trigger buttons aren't flimsy pieces of trash.

I've had two official controllers break within a year due to the number of games I play that have dodge or a frequently used action mapped to the triggers.

I still have my original gen 1 ps3 controllers and they all work fine.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Satanic JesusSatanic Jesus Hi, I'm Liam! with broken glassesRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does the new controller that comes with Monster Hunter Tri work with any other Wii games? I'm most curious if it works with the following:

Animal Crossing: Let's Go to the City
    Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
    Nights: Journey of Dreams
    Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure

The only Wii controller I have is the remote and nunchuk, and sometimes I'd like to just sit with a normal controller in my hands.

Satanic Jesus on
    my backloggery 3DS: 0533-5338-5186 steam: porcelain_cow goodreads
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does the new controller that comes with Monster Hunter Tri work with any other Wii games? I'm most curious if it works with the following:

The only Wii controller I have is the remote and nunchuk, and sometimes I'd like to just sit with a normal controller in my hands.

All games with classic controller support has an icon of it on the back of the box. I don't think any of those games support it.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

The classic controller is used mostly for N64, SNES and NES games.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    Xenogears of BoreXenogears of Bore Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Doesn't TvC use them as shortcuts or something?

Xenogears of Bore on
    3DS CODE: 3093-7068-3576
  • Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Where's a good place to get a cheap PS2? I look on eBay and everyone wants to charge $20 for shipping.

emnmnme on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Try Craigslist?

They're also $100 new at any major retailer, that's pretty cheap for the assurance it will work more than a week.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    MorninglordMorninglord I'm tired of being Batman, so today I'll be Owl.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jubal77 wrote: »

that's awesome for you

but i've already established that default official sony ps3 controllers are just not for me, if you catch my drift

Morninglord on
    (PSN: Morninglord) (Steam: Morninglord) (WiiU: Morninglord22) I like to record and toss up a lot of random gaming videos here.
  • Options
    edited April 2010

that's awesome for you

but i've already established that default official sony ps3 controllers are just not for me, if you catch my drift

Indeed. That is why it might not be normal wear and tear.

Jubal77 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Stock PS3 controllers, also known as SHITAXIS have a pretty bad build quality. They also just feel wrong. Too damn light.

Dualshock 3's are a lot better made and feel much better. They still have the same layout problems of every Sony controller since the first analog stick controller but enough people have convinced themselves that it is fine that Sony will probably never change it.

Xenogears of Bore on
  • Options
    PunkBoyPunkBoy Thank you! And thank you again! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Can we ask something about a game itself? Like...explain a plot point or how a mechanic is supposed to work?

EDIT: I'm talking about games that don't have a relevant thread to them.

PunkBoy on
    Steam ID:
    steam_sig.png
    The Linecutters Podcast: Your weekly dose of nerd! Tune in for the live broadcast every Wednesday at 7 PM EST, only at www.non-productive.com!
  • Options
    edited April 2010

that's awesome for you

Indeed. That is why it might not be normal wear and tear.

It's not. I play a lot of demanding action games. That's why I want something very sturdy.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    PunkBoy wrote: »
    Can we ask something about a game itself? Like...explain a plot point or how a mechanic is supposed to work?

EDIT: I'm talking about games that don't have a relevant thread to them.

Sounds perfectly fine to me. Ask away.

@Morninglord: Has Hori made any PS3 controllers? Actually......doesn't nearly any USB controller work on PS3? I know there are those USB Saturn Pads that people have been picking up for SF4 and other fighters. If that's the case, maybe you can find an awesome Logitech PC controller.

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I don't think that would work. For one thing, no home button.

I'll research it.

Morninglord on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I haven't had those break on me yet, but the triggers are still fairly terrible. My fingers sometimes slip off them when I'm playing a game that utilizes those buttons a lot, like a shooter. I've heard some people recommend the PS3 Dual Triggers, so I just ordered those. I'll get them on the 28th.

hdWhP.jpg

http://www.amazon.com/PS3-Dual-Triggers-Playstation-3/dp/B001IAOEXU

I wonder if those might solve your problem, too.

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I got some of these when my triggers started feeling a bit mushy.

About a week later the right trigger broke.

It's not connected, they didn't break it, but they didn't stop anything.

I've honestly done everything I can to make official controllers work. I'd just buy a new one every year and a half or so, except they cost 100 aussie rape bucks here. :(

Morninglord on
  • Options
    BullioBullio Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Peewi wrote: »

All games with classic controller support has an icon of it on the back of the box. I don't think any of those games support it.

Nights supports everything, including the GC controller. And it plays MUCH better with a controller than with Wiimote or mote+chuck.

Bullio on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's a question:

Anyone know if there's any semblance of an online community left for GTA4 on the PS3? I'm somewhat of a trophy whore, and if I decide to start playing GTA4, I'd like to go for the platinum trophy which will involve doing some online multiplayer grinding. Is there still an active community for this game, or is getting the plat gonna be pretty impossible these days?

As a side note, I really hate games that include multi-player trophies/achievements for this simple reason. Once the game is past its prime, it becomes impossible to get all the points.

Lucascraft on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What is the difference between Silver and Gold on XBox?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Silver is the default status which gives you access to the store/videos etc.

Gold gives you access to online multiplayer plus I think that some of the demos that come out are locked to Gold account users for a few days of release.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    THEPAIN73 wrote: »

You can only play online with a gold account.

Gold also sometimes gives you deals on downloadable titles/early demos.

mere_immortal on
    Steam: mere_immortal - PSN: mere_immortal - XBL: lego pencil - Wii U: mimmortal - 3DS: 1521-7234-1642 - Bordgamegeek: mere_immortal
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Xbox Live Silver is free and can't play games online. Xbox Live Gold requires a subscription fee and can play games online, plus various other bonuses.

Peewi on
  • Options
    THEPAIN73THEPAIN73 Shiny. Real shiny.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So why even have silver? How much is gold per month?

THEPAIN73 on
    Facebook | Amazon | Twitter | Youtube | PSN: ThePain73 | Steam: ThePain73
    3DS FC: 5343-7720-0490
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    So why even have silver?

Well you have to pay for gold, and some people don't play online I guess.

mere_immortal on
  • Options
    BigDesBigDes Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Because it gives people access to the online store.

Then they can charge you 40 quid a year for multiplayer.

BigDes on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ginguskahnginguskahn Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there such a thing as a PS3 pad with the analog layout of a 360 pad?

ginguskahn on
    ginguskahn360.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    ginguskahn wrote: »
    Is there such a thing as a PS3 pad with the analog layout of a 360 pad?

They exist. How good they are is something I can't comment on. Or anything else about it, really.

But this guy can!

And so can this guy!

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    MongerMonger I got the ham stink. Dallas, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BigDes wrote: »

Gold gives you access to online multiplayer plus I think that some of the demos that come out are locked to Gold account users for a few days of release.
    All demos and free DLC are locked from silver members for the first week. Some demos are gold exclusive forever, but generally just multiplayer ones. Anything that would require a purchase with money is open to silver members immediately. Silver members also miss out on some other services like Netflix.

Honestly, if you (like me) don't play multiplayer on your 360, you aren't missing out on all that much.

Monger on
  • Options
    LoveIsUnityLoveIsUnity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monger wrote: »
    BigDes wrote: »

All demos and free DLC are locked from silver members for the first week. Some demos are gold exclusive forever, but generally just multiplayer ones. Anything that would require a purchase with money is open to silver members immediately. Silver members also miss out on some other services like Netflix.

Honestly, if you (like me) don't play multiplayer on your 360, you aren't missing out on all that much.

I'm like you (hate playing online), but I still pay for Gold so I can use Netflix.

LoveIsUnity on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MenasorMenasor Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Monster Hunter 3 uses the Zl and Zr. They're for swimming up and down quickly. Uses stamina. Its like a dodge up or dodge down instead of sideways.

That's it though unfortunately. I wish at least on land that I could cycle my items with em or something.

Menasor on
    Destiny PS4: Earthen1
  • Options
    yalborapyalborap Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Here's a question.

Which PS3 models have full hardware BC, which have emulation, and which have fuck-all? I know I've seen some charts on this, but I can't find the damn things anymore.

EDIT: Also, can one with full hardware BC force the games to go HD, or at least progressive scan?

yalborap on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sometimes Wikipedia isn't all that bad. :P
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ps3#Model_comparison

Not sure about the HD thing though, sorry.

I have another question. Trackmania Wii is coming out in a month, and there is still no definitive indication at all as to whether or not it will support the Gamecube controller. When the game was first announced, it was said that it would support all Mario Kart Wii controls except the Gamecube controller. As time went on, it was said that the game supports all Mario Kart controls AND NES style by steering with the D-Pad.

Everywhere I go, it simply mentions that you can play with your "Wiimote and your Nunchuk, your gamepad or your Wii Wheel". Why the F are they being vague with "Gamepad"? I'm sure it would at least mean the Classic Controller, but I don't see why they couldn't just say that if it did not include Gamecube controls. I can't even find an image of the back of the box which would clear this up in an instant.

So does anyone out there know the answer? Can Trackmania Wii be played with a Gamecube controller?

BTP on
    My Friend Codes!

More Friend Codes!

Nintendo DS:
  • Options
    DaveTheWaveDaveTheWave Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a question.

I've been playing through Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen on VC lately. I'm up to the Valley of Kastro map. I'm trying to recruit Rauny and according to everything I've seen you need your alignment bar to be between half and full. I'm about 2 thirds full or a little less and she tells me I'm on the road of evil like the Empire. I thought maybe she wouldn't join because I didn't have enough space in my reserves for her unit but that's not it either. Anything I've missed that I have to do to make her join?

DaveTheWave on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    yurnamehereyurnamehere Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a question.

I've been playing through Ogre Battle: March of the Black Queen on VC lately. I'm up to the Valley of Kastro map. I'm trying to recruit Rauny and according to everything I've seen you need your alignment bar to be between half and full. I'm about 2 thirds full or a little less and she tells me I'm on the road of evil like the Empire. I thought maybe she wouldn't join because I didn't have enough space in my reserves for her unit but that's not it either. Anything I've missed that I have to do to make her join?

What's your leader's ALI stat?

yurnamehere on