As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] And You're Dead!

• Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Starcross wrote: »
    Final Fantasy VIII sucked, Star.

What!? FFVIII is awesome. Because I played it all the time when I was thirteen and now feel very nostalgic about it. It's clearly the best Final Fantasy game because no other Final Fantasy game has managed to pull that off yet and I don't think they ever will.

just cuz you're emo 14 year old self identified with the whiny teenagers doesn't make it good.

or as Squall would say "......."

Look, if nostalgia's not the most objective way of rating these things then I don't know what is.

Starcross on
  • Options
    WMain00WMain00 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    BUT SQUALL IS DEAD!

WMain00 on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    I just found it retarded that FF7's climax centers around the permadeath of one of the main characters. A main character that has probably died hundreds of times while fighting with you. But no this one time a phoenix down won't work. Just inconsistent.

At least in FF8 the dude falls off a cliff edge so if something kinda permanent happens there it's understandable. Not being able to find a body to phoenix down? Fine. Having the body right in front of you and not even trying? Fuck you.

Who the hell dies in FF8?

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    eek. Just got my timetable for this PGTA stuff I'm doing this term.

The next three weeks are going to be very, very busy.

BobCesca on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

What!? FFVIII is awesome. Because I played it all the time when I was thirteen and now feel very nostalgic about it. It's clearly the best Final Fantasy game because no other Final Fantasy game has managed to pull that off yet and I don't think they ever will.

just cuz you're emo 14 year old self identified with the whiny teenagers doesn't make it good.

Look, if nostalgia's not the most objective way of rating these things then I don't know what is.

FF8 was the best anyway. FF9 was the worst. I'm not using nostalgia for these judgments. I have a Final Fantasy scale in my brain that objectively weighs them against each other and right now my head is drooping left which means FF8 wins.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hi bob

nexuscrawler on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I just found it retarded that FF7's climax centers around the permadeath of one of the main characters. A main character that has probably died hundreds of times while fighting with you. But no this one time a phoenix down won't work. Just inconsistent.

At least in FF8 the dude falls off a cliff edge so if something kinda permanent happens there it's understandable. Not being able to find a body to phoenix down? Fine. Having the body right in front of you and not even trying? Fuck you.

Nobody. But
    at one point someone throws icy shards at someone else and that someone else falls off a cliff. Now I didn't believe for a second that that someone else died, but the "point" of the scene is to make you wonder and if he DID die, it would have made sense at least. More so than in FF7.

Drez on
  • Options
    Premier kakosPremier kakos Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010

FF8 was the best anyway. FF9 was the worst. I'm not using nostalgia for these judgments. I have a Final Fantasy scale in my brain that objectively weighs them against each other and right now my head is drooping left which means FF8 wins.

Your scale is broken if you don't mention FF4 or FF6 in that list.

Premier kakos on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    Wouldn't guns really fuck up plate armor and make it deadlier to be hit?

well think about it, most bullet proof vest are just a ceramic plate.

I know the interceptor is at the very least.

That is not "just" ceramic though - it is a very specifically engineered ceramic, that i would wager is a multilayered composite structure.

Modern bullets will penetrate steel plate just fine. Now it's true that this is not going to be true for old weapons, but the English had developed armor-piercing arrow tips specifically designed to puncture plate armor.

yes, which had much higher terminal velocities than early bullets.

A decent point.

Another advantage they had over early bullets.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kakos all up in that ass, speakin' the truth.

desc on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    HAPPY 40TH, PETE

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Nobody. But
    at one point someone throws icy shards at someone else and that someone else falls off a cliff. Now I didn't believe for a second that that someone else died, but the "point" of the scene is to make you wonder and if he DID die, it would have made sense at least. More so than in FF7.

Stop using pronouns. I played both games, you can't spoiler them for me. I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about because of your vagueness.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    amateurhouramateurhour One day I'll be professionalhour The woods somewhere in TennesseeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm sick [chat]

The wife was sick, so I took care of her all weekend when I wasn't playing MH3 with preach, bama, and half of G&T, and I caught it.

amateurhour on
    are YOU on the beer list?
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hi bob

hola sexy nexy. how's you?

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Nobody. But

Stop using pronouns. I played both games, you can't spoiler them for me. I don't even know what the fuck you're talking about because of your vagueness.
    There was this game and some shards and a guy I know fell off a cliff when a girl I know was like "yo boy fuck you" and hit him with some shards, you know?

Drez on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I hate fantasy weapons

One of my happiest moments in WoW was when I got a tanking sword that was just a longsword with a glow effect. I also had a proper shield at that moment as well. And while my armor was some what ornate, it didn't have any bits that would cause my shoulder to be dislocated or my neck snapped if they were hit. Good times.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jokerman wrote: »

well think about it, most bullet proof vest are just a ceramic plate.

I know the interceptor is at the very least.

That is not "just" ceramic though - it is a very specifically engineered ceramic, that i would wager is a multilayered composite structure.

Modern bullets will penetrate steel plate just fine. Now it's true that this is not going to be true for old weapons, but the English had developed armor-piercing arrow tips specifically designed to puncture plate armor.

yes, which had much higher terminal velocities than early bullets.

A decent point.

Another advantage they had over early bullets.

hah!

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Your scale is broken if you don't mention FF4 or FF6 in that list.

Oh they were terrible too.

[strike]Pretty much whatever will cause the most drama is what I'm trying to say here.[/strike]

I didn't mean to say that last bit out loud.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Nobody. But

There was this game and some shards and a guy I know fell off a cliff when a girl I know was like "yo boy fuck you" and hit him with some shards, you know?

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No Luke...Hayden Christiansen played me in Star Wars III.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    i know exactly what drez is talking about

and I never even played ff8

jeez justin

you're so slow

Organichu on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

http://squallsdead.com/

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    thisisntwallythisisntwally Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

you know. it really pains me that my son is never going to know star wars without the mind-numbingly bad prequels.

thisisntwally on
    #someshit
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    Echo wrote: »

See, in D&D, armor works like this:

Heavier armor makes you harder to hit.
    I always interpreted it as "heavy armor made it harder for you to take damage".

In my games, I always paid attention to what someone's touch AC was (dex + deflection + 10), and if someone hit their touch but not their AC, I would describe the attack as bouncing off the armor, or blocked by a shield, or whatever.

Made describing fights a little cooler.

And also, I treated guns in my game as only needing touch AC to hit and deal damage; that made them very overly powerful... but real guns and ammo were a bitch to find in my games.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I don't think that you actually die in battles. You just get KO'd.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

you know. it really pains me that my son is never going to know star wars without the mind-numbingly bad prequels.

Just make sure you show him Episodes 4-6 first.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ah. JRPG's are so quaint in the face of real (Bioware) RPG's.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Nobody. But

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

But in all seriousness (I promise),
    when Squall & Co. fight Seifer and Edia (or whatever the fuck her name is), doesn't she blast him with shards after the battle and then he falls off a cliff?

Or am I misremembering the game?

Drez on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    syndalis wrote: »
    Echo wrote: »

See, in D&D, armor works like this:

Heavier armor makes you harder to hit.
    I always interpreted it as "heavy armor made it harder for you to take damage".

In my games, I always paid attention to what someone's touch AC was (dex + deflection + 10), and if someone hit their touch but not their AC, I would describe the attack as bouncing off the armor, or blocked by a shield, or whatever.

Made describing fights a little cooler.

And also, I treated guns in my game as only needing touch AC to hit and deal damage; that made them very overly powerful... but real guns and ammo were a bitch to find in my games.

I'm pretty sure the 2nd Ed handbook explicitly states that the AC value of plate reflects blows glancing off.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ryadic wrote: »

I don't think you think.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    StarcrossStarcross Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Nobody. But

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

when Squall & Co. fight Seifer and Edia (or whatever the fuck her name is), doesn't she blast him with shards after the battle and then he falls off a cliff?

He falls off a parade float. Not quite the same thing

Starcross on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Okay, I wasn't misremembering. Thanks.

Drez on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey [chat]! Is it final fantasy chat time?

My dark secret: I have never played FF7, and I have no desire to ever try.

I do love FF8 however.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Nobody. But

SOYLENT GREEN IS PEOPLE

He falls off a parade float. Not quite the same thing
    Bah. Parade float, cliff, same difference.

Drez on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There were zwei peanuts...walking down the straße...und one vas assaulted...peanut. Ho ho ho!

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Corbius wrote: »
    Hey [chat]! Is it final fantasy chat time?

My dark secret: I have never played FF7, and I have no desire to ever try.

I do love FF8 however.

'Twas great in my opinion.

Drez on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I don't think you think.

I'M GONNA GRAPE YOU IN THE MOUTH.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

That's entirely too much writing devoted to a shitty game.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The Shocking Twist!! in ff8 was too dumb to live was my problem with it.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There were zwei peanuts...walking down the straße...und one vas assaulted...peanut. Ho ho ho!

You slay me with your humor!

I don't think you think.

I'M GONNA GRAPE YOU IN THE MOUTH.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fqq051BU2MY

Drez on
This discussion has been closed.