As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] And You're Dead!

1394041424345»

• Options
    langfor6langfor6 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drez wrote: »
    I don't understand people that delete and resurrect their Facebook profiles on a weekly basis.

I've done it three times. Currently dead.

Usually it's because I read some privacy damning article on slashdot and get upset, and then realize that there are a whole group of people I can't get in touch with without Facebook and I return.

This time I decided to cull email addresses before I deleted. I had to do this one by one as Facebook makes this very difficult.

I'm planning on returning when the Civ game comes out there.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    langfor6 wrote: »
    Elldren: I seem to this program called SWF & FLV Player installed on my MBP, but I cannot attest to its usefulness.

Do you just have something against VLC?

Only its crappiness (though it is much nicer on mac)

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Contrary to Than's belief that I would not finish my essay after playing SC2, I did finish and turn it in. And ate dinner in there as well. So there we go, I can play games and be productive, too!

You and me should do a 2v2 or something soonish.
    yeah me too, i wanna play

except oh wait i fucking can't because the game freezes for 5 seconds at a time every 15 seconds

MikeMan on
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    any of y'all ever had LASIK surgery?

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    is sc2 mac beta up yet?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    ElendilElendil Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    13 hours into Dragon Age and I haven't even touched the main quest

Elendil on
  • Options
    RiemannLivesRiemannLives Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    There is a real simple solution to the privacy problems with facebook, current and future: treat it like the public space which it is. All those profile settings and groups and permissions are just a distraction from the truth which is that facebook is a public forum. Full fucking stop. And no amount of fiddling with your settings will ever make it otherwise.

So stop drinking the "privacy" kool-aid and only post things you wouldn't mind screaming at the top of your lungs on a crowded street corner and you'll be fine.

RiemannLives on
    Attacked by tweeeeeeees!
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey I only played like 2 hours of Just Cause 2.

I should play that, huh.

desc on
  • Options
    CorbiusCorbius Shepard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I need/want to get that Dragon Age expansion. I haven't heard a lot of people talking about it, but hell if its more Dragon Age it must be pretty awesome.

Corbius on
    wrexsig1.jpg
    PSN: Corbius
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After playing ME 1 and ME 2, I am not looking back on DA:O with fond memories. Even though I did indeed enjoy the game while I played it.

Ludious on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dynagrip wrote: »

My dad had it. He got both eyes done in the same session, then drove to his follow up appointment the next day. The doctor had never had anyone do that. Apparently it's not a good idea.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There is a real simple solution to the privacy problems with facebook, current and future: treat it like the public space which it is. All those profile settings and groups and permissions are just a distraction from the truth which is that facebook is a public forum. Full fucking stop. And no amount of fiddling with your settings will ever make it otherwise.

So stop drinking the "privacy" kool-aid and only post things you wouldn't mind screaming at the top of your lungs on a crowded street corner and you'll be fine.

I found not having an account works well.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I found not having an account works well.

As someone who would never scream anything from a street corner this works for me too.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't understand people that delete and resurrect their Facebook profiles on a weekly basis.

Usually it's because I read some privacy damning article on slashdot and get upset, and then realize that there are a whole group of people I can't get in touch with without Facebook and I return.

This time I decided to cull email addresses before I deleted. I had to do this one by one as Facebook makes this very difficult.

Because email addresses are images instead of text, right?

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Facebook's good. It makes my life feel more fulfilled then it actually is.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Because email addresses are images instead of text, right?

Yep.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    is sc2 mac beta up yet?

Right after that Steam client comes out.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    so am I going to have to reformat my external drives now? :(

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    LudiousLudious I just wanted a sandwich A temporally dislocated QuiznosRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm all for Facebook being a public forum. We just need laws that say, explicitly

"You cannot fire someone for anything said or done outside of their work hours as long as it does not directly cause financial harm to the company or organization."

Period. Full Stop.

Ludious on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

My 1 TB Western Digital external worked right out of the box.

That may or may not be an answer to your question.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    or... I could get a new external...

and a usb hub

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2010

no because mine aren't. What filesystem is it using?

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's FAT-32.

langfor6 on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Speaking of Facebook, I just went and defriended a handful of people who seem to constantly have some form of drama.

One is a recently deceased friend's wife who is fighting with whoever through her FB status updates, one is a mutual acquaintance (for me)/friend (for everyone else) who may have inadvertently gave my friend the drug that killed him, and she's all dramatic and shit on FB, another two are just other mutual friends who constantly complain about the drama, and then another was a guy I've known for a while but would update about how no one is paying him any attention and would never respond to my attempts to interact with him on Facebook.

A sixth may be this nice kid I know who has good taste in music but gets all Emo from time to time.

I think an interesting thing about it is that I haven't made a bit status update about removing friends from Facebook and "just wanting everyone to know". Cause most of the time when people do that they actually never do it and just want attention.

My FB time is spent maybe 5 minutes on my cell phone each day. I don't want that 5 minutes to be scrolling through update after update about bullshit.

Besides that, I keep my FB list pretty neat and tame anyway.

Sheep on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

It's FAT-32.

and that would be why.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    DynagripDynagrip Break me a million hearts HoustonRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010

My dad had it. He got both eyes done in the same session, then drove to his follow up appointment the next day. The doctor had never had anyone do that. Apparently it's not a good idea.
    i am considering it. it seems like it might not be a bad idea from a cost standpoint although i know that when i hit 40 something or whatever i'd probably need glasses again.

I've messed around with contacts several times and haven't had any luck with them yet, i have "oily tears" and my eyes get pretty irritated with them. maybe in the intervening years since i tried them last new breakthroughs have occurred, much improving them for my eyes.

and glasses, man i'm just tired of having to clean them all the time and not having prescription sunglasses makes driving in Houston during the daytime nightmarish. i can only squint so hard! also, i'm tired of having my peripheral vision blocked off, and stylish frames tend to slide off my face and blah blah blah

that said, i remain nervous about coherent light being beamed into mah eyeballs.

Dynagrip on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Somehow writing papers is more satisfying when it's single-spaced. Of course, it fills up more slowly, but the target number of pages is halved, so it comes out the same. I currently have four full pages, and I need at least six not counting citations.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Somehow writing papers is more satisfying when it's single-spaced. Of course, it fills up more slowly, but the target number of pages is halved, so it comes out the same. I currently have four full pages, and I need at least six not counting citations.

When I used to have to write papers, I loved keeping it single spaced. That way I'd be like "ugh this paper is taking forever", then click doublespace and be like awww yiis 8-)

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    DrezDrez Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Speaking of Facebook, I just went and defriended a handful of people who seem to constantly have some form of drama.

One is a recently deceased friend's wife who is fighting with whoever through her FB status updates, one is a mutual acquaintance (for me)/friend (for everyone else) who may have inadvertently gave my friend the drug that killed him, and she's all dramatic and shit on FB, another two are just other mutual friends who constantly complain about the drama, and then another was a guy I've known for a while but would update about how no one is paying him any attention and would never respond to my attempts to interact with him on Facebook.

A sixth may be this nice kid I know who has good taste in music but gets all Emo from time to time.

I think an interesting thing about it is that I haven't made a bit status update about removing friends from Facebook and "just wanting everyone to know". Cause most of the time when people do that they actually never do it and just want attention.

My FB time is spent maybe 5 minutes on my cell phone each day. I don't want that 5 minutes to be scrolling through update after update about bullshit.

Besides that, I keep my FB list pretty neat and tame anyway.

I deleted three people recently, and I never delete anyone.

One of those people I regret because it was a moment of silly goosery on my part and I reacted in a childish manner. I don't even have the balls to try to re-request them even though I think we're cool now.

The other two people can fuck off. One was a 50 year old creeper that first used a picture of Sarah Palin and then second used a picture of a dog as his profile photo. He has no other photos. He was using Facebook to befriend all these girls, some of whom we both know because they bartend in Times Square. I figured out who it was with my mad l33t investigator skillz.

Anyway, he's gone. Gone forever. He tried to re-add me. Hello? I deleted you for a reason.

The other is a girl I...spent a lot of time with. I stopped seeing her, stopped giving a shit about her, and yet she would send me Facebook invites to the club she works at/promotes. Twice a week. There's no way to block that and apparently it was part of her "job" to spam all her friends with invites every three or four days every week without fail, so I decided that instead of opening up a line of communication that had finally dried up months ago I would do the noble thing and delete her. Yay! No more spam.

But generally I don't delete people because that's a dramatic action in and of itself. Usually. I don't necessarily think there's anything wrong with it though.

Oh yeah and I didn't "announce" it either, because that's just dumb attention-whoring.

Drez on
    Switch: SW-7690-2320-9238Steam/PSN/Xbox: Drezdar
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Ick, papers. Whenever I can land a job in Atlanta, I've been wanting to go back to school (hopefully it's a full-time permanent federal job that pays for some schooling)

but I just don't know that I could stand writing more papers. I have my Associate degree and getting my Bachelor's means retaking at least College Algebra (I only got a D. Good enough to pass at my school but it won't transfer)

And I have some seeeerious math anxiety. Like if you put me in a math class I have palpitations.

Ludious on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

i am considering it. it seems like it might not be a bad idea from a cost standpoint although i know that when i hit 40 something or whatever i'd probably need glasses again.

I've messed around with contacts several times and haven't had any luck with them yet, i have "oily tears" and my eyes get pretty irritated with them. maybe in the intervening years since i tried them last new breakthroughs have occurred, much improving them for my eyes.

and glasses, man i'm just tired of having to clean them all the time and not having prescription sunglasses makes driving in Houston during the daytime nightmarish. i can only squint so hard! also, i'm tired of having my peripheral vision blocked off, and stylish frames tend to slide off my face and blah blah blah

that said, i remain nervous about coherent light being beamed into mah eyeballs.

My mother had it.

Said she could smell the lasers burning her eyes.

Terrifying.

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My last fb status update was a link to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbsSzA6pCB8

Tav on
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    STARCRAFT 2 TIME SOMEONE, JUSTIN WANTS TO SMASH (most likely be smashed)

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Give me a sec, I am finishing something up here.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010

HURRY UP

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Tav wrote: »
    My last fb status update was a link to this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbsSzA6pCB8

That's such a baaaaaaaaaaaad update.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

HURRY UP

Ok, done. You got vent or we just going to run off SC2 in game communication?

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    That stupid fucking lamb. I'd kill it for being retarded.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh god, what have I done. I read it back and I want to shoot the person that did it, but that person was me... OH GOD!
    :lol: I'm so sorry for what I've done.

Ryadic on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ElkiElki get busy Moderator, ClubPA mod
    edited April 2010
    20070209.jpg

Elki on
    smCQ5WE.jpg
This discussion has been closed.