As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] And You're Dead!

• Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    jacobkosh wrote: »
    My favorite bit of not commonly known Forgotten Realms lore is that their fantasy version of Egypt was populated by actual Egyptians.

Like, human Egyptians from Earth who had just been randomly teleported there one day.

That is great. I did not know this.

Through the stargate.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    syndalissyndalis Getting Classy On the WallRegistered User, Loves Apple Products regular
    edited April 2010
    My favorite bit of not commonly known Forgotten Realms lore is that their fantasy version of Egypt was populated by actual Egyptians.

Like, human Egyptians from Earth who had just been randomly teleported there one day.

There is lots of that in Faerun; portals opened up all over the world that people just kind of walked through at one point or another. The original race there? Psionic dinosaur-people.

I shit you not.

syndalis on
    SW-4158-3990-6116
    Let's play Mario Kart or something...
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    guh'mornin', [chat]

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bogart wrote: »
    I desire multiplayer FPS fun. Should I buy BC2, Borderlands, ODST or MW2?

BC2 or ODST if you don't have Halo 3.

Leitner on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I seem to recall that it wasn't so much that they were teleported there but they arrived via Spelljamer Ships.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Everything I know about Forgotten Realms I learned from playing Baldur's Gate.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    I do remember reading a fantasy novel many moons ago that managed to eject me from the immersion I was innocently enjoying not once but twice, as character in whatever made-up world it was referred to someone getting carte blanche and a room being spartan.

Bogart on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    The other problem with FR is...

Well, it's Ed Greenwood, the setting's creator.

You think George Lucas is bad for suddenly shitting all over novel writers and stuff with random, arbitrary changes to the lore?

Lucas ain't got shit on Greenwood.

Pony on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    I like the setting in the Clan Lord books.

Take some medieval European country, add feudal Japan honor culture and a crapton of made-up words for their weapons, armor, individual pieces of armor, and combat styles.

Echo on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Jokerman wrote: »
    You guys are missing whats important.

res just heard a Paladin go off, this is awesome.

Did the Paladin use Lay on Hands?

they better hope it doesn't blow up a church or it will lose its class abilities and have a geas cast on it to go on a holy quest.

oh god I now have the mental image of a massive piece of SP-ART rolling around Europe searching for pieces of the True Cross

it attempts to tithe 10% to the local orphanage; tragedy ensues

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    matt has a problemmatt has a problem Points to 'off' Points to 'on'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dropped my wife off at the airport this morning, 4 days of bachelorhood coming up.

Followed by 4 days in Arizona for a wedding.

So it's kind of a wash.

matt has a problem on
    nibXTE7.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I do remember reading a fantasy novel many moons ago that managed to eject me from the immersion I was innocently enjoying not once but twice, as character in whatever made-up world it was referred to someone getting carte blanche and a room being spartan.

This is one of my constant problems when posting in PBPs. I never know where to draw the line as all of our language is rooted somewhere.

Mojo_Jojo on
    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I seem to recall that it wasn't so much that they were teleported there but they arrived via Spelljamer Ships.

That's even better!

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Leitner wrote: »

I have Halo 3.

I am conflicted. Perhaps if someone were to send me copies of each game I could try them all. Won't someone help a brother out?

Bogart on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Where do you draw the line, though? I mean, our language is made up entirely of words from other languages. How recent does the loanword have to be to break immersion?

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010

I have Halo 3.

I am conflicted. Perhaps if someone were to send me copies of each game I could try them all. Won't someone help a brother out?

well

will, nerd, mikeman, gonmun, preach, and i have BC2

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

This is one of my constant problems when posting in PBPs. I never know where to draw the line as all of our language is rooted somewhere.

This is true. I don't know exactly where the line is, but I'm know when someone leaps across it by having a guard exclaim 'zut alors!' or similar.

Bogart on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

they better hope it doesn't blow up a church or it will lose its class abilities and have a geas cast on it to go on a holy quest.

oh god I now have the mental image of a massive piece of SP-ART rolling around Europe searching for pieces of the True Cross

That is awesome.

You are awesome for that thing you just thought up.

Give yourself a pat on the back.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

This is true. I don't know exactly where the line is, but I'm know when someone leaps across it by having a guard exclaim 'zut alors!' or similar.

Unless it's a foreign guard from a culture clearly based on France?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

This is basically impossible to avoid in fantasy fiction writing, and accounts for why so much of fantasy fiction is dry and boring.

Modern english is full of loanwords, historical references, and coined phrases with very specific origins.

When they are used by fantasy characters in their made-up fantasy world, it can yank you out of the story hard, especially when the phrase or word itself originates in a time that is very much after the medieval period in Europe and might have a very well-known and modern origin.

As a fantasy writer, you have three choices:

1. Establish a very firm cultural origin for all the language used (say, England and English) and stick only to phrases, idioms, and words appropriate to the period and culture you are emulating.

2. Not give a shit, and use whatever phrase is appropriate.

3. Stop writing medieval fantasy because it's fucking terrible and you should be ashamed of yourself.

I hope more writers choose 3.

Pony on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    The other problem with FR is...

Well, it's Ed Greenwood, the setting's creator.

You think George Lucas is bad for suddenly shitting all over novel writers and stuff with random, arbitrary changes to the lore?

Lucas ain't got shit on Greenwood.

Elminster follows a power curve that fits with the increasing popularity of Drizzit. There was a very unpleasant usenet discussion when Greenwood found the D&D group and we were trying to figure out how to kill Eliminster. Greenwood swore he could be killed but wouldn't tell us how. We couldn't figure out a way to do it that didn't require a massive team of wizards and psionists.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Organichu wrote: »

I have Halo 3.

well

will, nerd, mikeman, gonmun, preach, and i have BC2

So one of you could send me the game? That's very generous 'Chu.

To be honest, I'll probably pick up ODST and BC2 because I love me some Halo and BC2 is what everybody appears to be playing.

Bogart on
  • Options
    JokermanJokerman Everything EverywhereRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Golden.

Jokerman on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Kaiserreich needs more expansionist events for Poland. My options right now are Conquer Galicia --> Unite with Lithuania.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I actually think it would be kind of cool if a fantasy writer just used translated versions of all our borrowed phrases and so on. Like the carte blanche example, the writer could say "he had white card to do whatever he wished." Gives it a bit of a different flavor, like the world has its own lingo.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

That's even better!

Spelljammer was a terrible setting that was so bad that it became awesome.

Exception: If they are a Time Lord.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    LeitnerLeitner Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I have Halo 3.

Ah, well the campaign of MW2 is a tad silly, and the mutiplayer for 'realistic' combat isn't nearly as fun as BC2/hilariously broken. With BC2 you've got a faux class system letting you take different roles and the vehicles are implemented really well.

ODST is at the end of a day an expansion pack, and you'll find it hard to get anyone to do the ODST specific multiplayer.

Leitner on
  • Options
    OrganichuOrganichu poops peesRegistered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    god

urijah faber

your chin is hilarious

Organichu on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I genuinely dislike the vast majority of fantasy fiction and find it unbelievable I read so much of it as a youth.

It's so bad.

I look at fantasy fiction the way a guy might look back at a high school picture of him with a mullet and think "Jesus, what was I thinking? Why on Earth did I think that was good?"

Pony on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh man, I want to write a medieval fantasy story using cultural references like 'blogging' and Legos.

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    HonkHonk Honk is this poster. Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I have gotten in the mood to try Braid. It should be basically free now.

Honk on
    PSN: Honkalot
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm talking more about having it pop up in an established world like Faerun, though. Also, are you about on Bank Holiday Monday next week? I may well be down in your neck of the woods visiting friends and so forth. A cup of coffee and much hearty banter may be possible if you're about.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I'm talking more about having it pop up in an established world like Faerun, though. Also, are you about on Bank Holiday Monday next week? I may well be down in your neck of the woods visiting friends and so forth. A cup of coffee and much hearty banter may be possible if you're about.

I may be at work, but I'll be able to pop out and drink coffee. You have my number, right?

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

that exchange ripped me completely out of your fantasy setting

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hrmm, it seems that after really being on an immersive XXth century listening schedule, Mozart seems really, really boring. It's so rhythmically simple.

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    hrmm, it seems that after really being on an immersive XXth century listening schedule, Mozart seems really, really boring. It's so rhythmically simple.

rhythm hadn't been invented yet

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    One of the worst things I sometimes run into playing Dungeons & Dragons with random people are DMs who have their own lovingly crafted homebrew settings.

Holy christ, is that ever a recipe for disaster.

Pony on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I may be at work, but I'll be able to pop out and drink coffee. You have my number, right?

Don't think so. I would pm you mine but without my top-up card I have no idea what it actually is.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    One of the worst things I sometimes run into playing Dungeons & Dragons with random people are DMs who have their own lovingly crafted homebrew settings.

Holy christ, is that ever a recipe for disaster.

I mostly DM in homebrew settings, but generally, I have my concept and then I just let the players go nuts on filling out the various bits and pieces as they see fit.

Mojo_Jojo on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    playing D&D with a bunch of real people probably helped me develop stronger friendships than what I was normally used to

i should try and get back into it

tyrannus on
This discussion has been closed.