As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Chat] And You're Dead!

• Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Elldren wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    hrmm, it seems that after really being on an immersive XXth century listening schedule, Mozart seems really, really boring. It's so rhythmically simple.

rhythm hadn't been invented yet

it had, it was just africaanermusiche

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    Pony wrote: »
    I genuinely dislike the vast majority of fantasy fiction and find it unbelievable I read so much of it as a youth.

It's so bad.

I look at fantasy fiction the way a guy might look back at a high school picture of him with a mullet and think "Jesus, what was I thinking? Why on Earth did I think that was good?"

I tend to hate it more in execution than in principle.

There's this quote the old movie critic Robert Warshow had that I've always liked: "A man goes to the movies. The critic must be willing to admit that he is that man." Sometimes I really want to read about a guy in armor punching the shit out of a dragon. I'm cool with admitting that. It's just the terrible end product that usually disappoints me.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    One of the worst things I sometimes run into playing Dungeons & Dragons with random people are DMs who have their own lovingly crafted homebrew settings.

Holy christ, is that ever a recipe for disaster.

I mostly DM in homebrew settings, but generally, I have my concept and then I just let the players go nuts on filling out the various bits and pieces as they see fit.

Pretty much this. My brother will usually have a vague idea - You are in a city that spans the entire continent - and a few important locations, and then he fleshes it out as we go along. It feels better that way.

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    PonyPony Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    One of the worst things I sometimes run into playing Dungeons & Dragons with random people are DMs who have their own lovingly crafted homebrew settings.

I mostly DM in homebrew settings, but generally, I have my concept and then I just let the players go nuts on filling out the various bits and pieces as they see fit.

Hooray! You're doing it right.

I showed up to a game a while back, with some dudes I met from a hobby store, and the DM hands me this like ten page leaflet thing with a bunch of notes on his setting, the way the classes are completely different, the various cultures and languages, and a guide to giving my character a name appropriate to his setting.

I left without playing.

Pony on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    I genuinely dislike the vast majority of fantasy fiction and find it unbelievable I read so much of it as a youth.

It's so bad.

I look at fantasy fiction the way a guy might look back at a high school picture of him with a mullet and think "Jesus, what was I thinking? Why on Earth did I think that was good?"

fantasy and sci-fi aren't about quality so much as hitting all the right cliches

those cliches can be pretty unbearable

Rust on
  • Options
    IncenjucarIncenjucar VChatter Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

:(

Not every homebrewer is Greenwood.

--

I deeply enjoy the incredibly rare piece of good fantasy.

It is incredibly rare. But when I find it oh man so good.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Bloomberg goes to Bermuda two times a month?!

Holy fuck, I hate this guy.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    The Clan Lord books are some of the earliest "adult" fantasy books I read, so they have a bit of a special place for me.

Echo on
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I use homebrew settings. Most of the official settings are terrible. And with homebrew, you can leave everything that's not currently in focus kind of in superposition and only commit to a decision when you know what will best fit the adventure.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Incenjucar wrote: »

:(

Not every homebrewer is Greenwood.

Dude, I've only seen a little bit of your homebrew setting and what I have seen thus far, if presented to me as a player, would make me run for the hills.

Pony on
  • Options
    KageraKagera Imitating the worst people. Since 2004Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    "Volander's hammer hit the dire spider moose like a ton of bricks, causing the monster to crumble to the ground like a wall of legos kicked by a malicious child."

Kagera on
    My neck, my back, my FUPA and my crack.
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hrm, reading the 4e optimization forums, it seems like I'm going to need to get the Martial Powers book.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    skippydumptruckskippydumptruck begin again Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    okay here is the setting

we are all dragons

and we live together in a spaceship

you roll a d20 if you want to have sex with another dragon and then refer to this table for the sex acts you will be permitted to perform

skippydumptruck on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010

Eh, I've played in quite a few I really liked. Though I do know what you mean. I think a good rule of thumb is the more houserules they've added, the more likely it is to be creepy and weird. Especially if they've added houseruled races and classes. And especially especially if you're required to use those houseruled races and classes.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    RustRust __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    think i'm finally done hating final fantasy XIII

i went up in one big plot-analysis supernova and i've finally run out of ways to say it is awful

now to hope that once square has gotten their hilariously GRIMDARK rendition and their next stupid MMO out of the way things will be moderately less awful

Rust on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I use homebrew settings. Most of the official settings are terrible. And with homebrew, you can leave everything that's not currently in focus kind of in superposition and only commit to a decision when you know what will best fit the adventure.

You might find yourself surprised at how incredibly rare this mindset towards homebrew settings is.

The idea of a superpositional setting that only comes into focus as necessary for the story is great!

Having fictional languages and detailed geographic maps with clear borders and four pages of fantasy history with a timeline and discarding all the normal fantasy races for a bunch of weird aliens of your design is decidedly not great.

Pony on
  • Options
    ElldrenElldren Is a woman dammit ceterum censeoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    dire spider moose are in the next version of Dwarf Fortress

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    I read barely any fantasy these days. I'm reading Samuel R Delaney's Neveryona series right now, but he's had admiring notices from Umberto Eco and is proper clever, so that's ok.

Bogart on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    guys, I know dungeons and dragons is cool and all, but maybe it doesn't have to be the only chat topic?

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I deeply enjoy the incredibly rare piece of good fantasy.

It is incredibly rare. But when I find it oh man so good.

There's a decent amount of good fantasy. It's swords and sorcery specifically that's all crap.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    HerrCronHerrCron It that wickedly supports taxation Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Hooray! You're doing it right.

I showed up to a game a while back, with some dudes I met from a hobby store, and the DM hands me this like ten page leaflet thing with a bunch of notes on his setting, the way the classes are completely different, the various cultures and languages, and a guide to giving my character a name appropriate to his setting.

I left without playing.

I don't blame you.
    that sounds horrible.

HerrCron on
    sig.gif
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dude, I've only seen a little bit of your homebrew setting and what I have seen thus far, if presented to me as a player, would make me run for the hills.

The four-eyed bug people cover up their mouths now.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »
    Hrm, reading the 4e optimization forums, it seems like I'm going to need to get the Martial Powers book.

You've already got powers from it, on your sheet even.

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    There's a decent amount of good fantasy. It's swords and sorcery specifically that's all crap.

Well yeah. That's basically shonen.

Incenjucar on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    guys, I know dungeons and dragons is cool and all, but maybe it doesn't have to be the only chat topic?

Oh please if it were up to you it would be all philosophy and freezetrancepopdisco [chat].

Kagera on
  • Options
    BobCescaBobCesca Is a girl Birmingham, UKRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That's enough work for today, methinks.

Looks like I'm gonna have to give swimming a miss tomorrow though and study-hard in the library all day. :(

BobCesca on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    jacobkosh wrote: »

Eh, I've played in quite a few I really liked. Though I do know what you mean. I think a good rule of thumb is the more houserules they've added, the more likely it is to be creepy and weird. Especially if they've added houseruled races and classes. And especially especially if you're required to use those houseruled races and classes.

yeah, when I was sitting there reading the way this guy had "modified" the classes (read: made them completely different) and how you couldn't just play an elf or a dwarf, you had to play one of his made-up sci-fi aliens, I was thinking "what the fuck is this?"

I tried to be really polite and diplomatic about it but the guy took it really personally.

Pony on
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    Having fictional languages and detailed geographic maps with clear borders and four pages of fantasy history with a timeline and discarding all the normal fantasy races for a bunch of weird aliens of your design is decidedly not great.

the one homebrew campaign I ever ran boiled down to a hastily scrawled map with some vague national borders and maybe the capitals for the nations.

I like to treat campaigns as a Schrödinger box - stuff doesn't exist until it's mentioned. It's great for spontaneously plopping down a village with a werewolf problem or whatever somewhere in Here-Be-Dragons-Land while the players are travelling through it.

Echo on
  • Options
    deadonthestreetdeadonthestreet Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    hrmm, it seems that after really being on an immersive XXth century listening schedule, Mozart seems really, really boring. It's so rhythmically simple.

there are not enough beats in a minute for you or something?

deadonthestreet on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like freezetrancepopdisco [chat] :(

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I don't know what that means

I looked it up. I still don't know what it means

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I know, they were in the character builder. But it seems like I'll need to do some reading from it as well. I like being able to flip back and forth.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Neither does jucar

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    TL DRTL DR Not at all confident in his reflexive opinions of thingsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    okay here is the setting

we are all dragons

you roll a d20 if you want to have sex with another dragon and then refer to this table for the sex acts you will be permitted to perform

Oh hey I rolled a 20, let's see what I get to do
    captureynw.png

TL DR on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like freezetrancepopdisco [chat] :(

It's okay, we all have flaws.

Kagera on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

I know, they were in the character builder. But it seems like I'll need to do some reading from it as well. I like being able to flip back and forth.

I'd let you borrow my copy if I wasn't miles and miles away and also using it

Elldren on
    fuck gendered marketing
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If you are going to invite me to your D&D game

I expect to be able to play a Dwarf Fighter or a Human Wizard.

If, when I show up, you tell me there are no dwarves in your setting, only Kuthrokas which are sorta like dwarves only they are stout reptiles with glowing eyes, and that a "Wizard" in your setting is actually an "Arcanomaster" and don't cast spells but rather "invoke the Will of Zokor"

I'm leaving.

Good day sir.

Because what you invited me to play? Isn't D&D.

Pony on
  • Options
    RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    okay here is the setting

we are all dragons

Oh hey I rolled a 20, let's see what I get to do
    captureynw.png
    GET AWAY FROM ME JAMES JOYCE

RMS Oceanic on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

there are not enough beats in a minute for you or something?

Nah, it has nothing to do with my love for nonsensical dance music. In the 20th century, many musicians abandoned tonality to emphasize other musical elements, especially rhythm and timbre. However, they still kept the music in a dialogue, so there's still a lot of harmonic content. When you go back and listen to pre-Romantic music, it's all just euphony and melody, so, to my ears, it paradoxically sounds more robotic than some of the music made by robots.

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Shonen manga is manga for school boys, like Naruto, Bleach, etc.

Incenjucar on
This discussion has been closed.