As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Halo: Reach Beta - The Spartans have stolen victory! What are they hiding?

• LordNibblerLordNibbler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Mm DMR and Needle rifle look so sweet.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    PSN: JPBrowncoat Xbox: BamSaidTheLaday Also on Steam! Streaming games!
  • Hugh JassHugh Jass I'm Squint Eastwood Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So according to IGN there is gonna be another live action Halo commercial called "Birth of a spartan" on tomorrow during ABC's V.

Don't get me wrong I love these live action shorts, but seriously microsoft...

Movie!!! Now!! Plz!!!

Hugh Jass on
    edited April 2010
    Also, I think you still shoot bullets from your face:
    http://gamevideos.1up.com/video/id/29102

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
  • BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So, how the hell are you meant to use Armour Lock in a way that doesn't just stall your death for a few seconds? Seems like it's only usuable to either prevent splatters or in situations where your team could bail you out.

Blurbl on
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Blurbl wrote: »
    So, how the hell are you meant to use Armour Lock in a way that doesn't just stall your death for a few seconds? Seems like it's only usuable to either prevent splatters or in situations where your team could bail you out.

See, if it stopped vehicles dead in their tracks I'd love using armor lock for big CTF maps.

"Hey, there's a guy in our way and we gotta get this flag back!"
    "Run him over!"
    *clang* *stop* *many guys swarm the Warthog and blow it to bits*

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

See, if it stopped vehicles dead in their tracks I'd love using armor lock for big CTF maps.

"Hey, there's a guy in our way and we gotta get this flag back!"
    "Run him over!"
    *clang* *stop* *many guys swarm the Warthog and blow it to bits*

It think it does that, actually. One of the videos I saw had a Ghost hit an Armor Locked Spartan and go into a flying barrel roll, so at least it'll fuck up the driver.

But Armor Lock looks useful for Team-Based Headhunter and King of the Hill, maybe? Enemies waste their first few rounds, and if they're nearby when you unlock, they're hit by a shield-busting EMP. Armor Lock + Shotgun = close encounters death.

Renzo on
  • Dr_KeenbeanDr_Keenbean Dumb as a butt Planet Express ShipRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    Well the last beta singlehandedly transformed Crackdown from a game no one cared about to one of the best selling titles of the year, so I imagine the Reach beta is having a similar effect on ODST sales.

Especially considering the way every single mention of Reach comes with the information that you need ODST to play the beta.

As an aside: I'm glad Crackdown had the Halo 3 beta because Crackdown was fun as shit, and we're getting a sequel because so many people played it while waiting for Halo 3 beta.

Dr_Keenbean on
    PSN/NNID/Steam: Dr_Keenbean
    3DS: 1650-8480-6786
    Switch: SW-0653-8208-4705
  • Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Now that I think about it, it looks like most of the special moves are great 'avoid getting splattered' techniques. Tuck and roll out of the way, jetpack over it or make yourself into concrete pillar and let it wreck into you.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish the elite's roll flipped your screen a bit or something. It just looks like your sliding around from your perspective.

UEAKCrash on
  • Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Armor lock sends out an EMP pulse at the end. If a wraith is trying to splatter you, use armor lock, even if the wraith isn't going to flip over. After you EMP it, it will be easy to board/destroy. Along with this EMP pulse, it will knock people back. It seem like a good (but risky) counter to swords. It also seems like armor lock is a good way to draw attention. This leaves your teammates free to kill the enemies focusing on you.

Ratsult2 on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ratsult2 wrote: »
    This leaves your teammates free to kill the enemies focusing on you.

Eh, that's only gonna happen for the first week. In about two days people will learn to ignore the guy kneeling on the ground, and shoot targets they can damage.

Some of the videos show people grenade spamming armor locked dudes, I bet before the beta is over people will be experts at knowing when armor lock fades, and have a grenade in the air when that happens.

xzzy on
    edited April 2010
    Well.. you can finish armor lock early too. If everyone learns that it is bad to focus on the armor locked guy... then didn't it serve it's purpose? Isn't it saving your life?

http://www.gametrailers.com/video/beta-special-halo-reach/64867

The first armor lock in that video shows some good, quick armor locks.

Armor lock seems really balanced to me. If you use it in the correct situations, it's powerful. If you just use it haphazardly, then it will not be of much use at all.

Ratsult2 on
    edited April 2010
    I think you can end Armour Lock prematurely (but not have the EMP blast). Depending on how fast you can switch between pounding the ground and shooting, you could be able to take advantage of the delay between an enemy throwing a grenade and raising their weapon again.

Blurbl on
  • RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think an EMP will fire regardless of the duration of the lock, but the strength of the blast will be more intense the longer the lock.

Renzo on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    sprinting, armor lock and camo all look sweet. Wondering how long the camo lasts so I can try out some sweet TF2 spy cloak/decloak tricks

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    For those of you wondering the point of Armor Lock, you don't necessarily have to activate it in a clutch near-death situation.

One of the videos I saw showed a Spartan who lost shields, but had plenty of health, and had two other Spartans bearing down on him. He Locked, waited a second, then came out of Lock, pulled a sword, and slashed them both.

So it has it's uses; the trick is finding them.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    edited April 2010
    I'll have to go back and look at some of the new videos. I know there was one with a cammo guy moving at full speed... and one with a cammo guy at a complete standstill. You should be able to get an idea of how long they last while moving/standing.

It looks like sprint lasts 4 seconds and has a 5 second recharge time.

Ratsult2 on
    edited April 2010
    AoR_Final wrote: »
    For those of you wondering the point of Armor Lock, you don't necessarily have to activate it in a clutch near-death situation.

One of the videos I saw showed a Spartan who lost shields, but had plenty of health, and had two other Spartans bearing down on him. He Locked, waited a second, then came out of Lock, pulled a sword, and slashed them both.

My main concern is how effective it will be down the line in a few months compared to the other loadouts. The timings seem easy to guess after a while.

Blurbl on
    edited April 2010
    AoR_Final wrote: »

My main concern is how effective it will be down the line in a few months compared to the other loadouts. The timings seem easy to guess after a while.

Yea, but with the timing of anywhere between a split second through 3 seconds, plus the option to do multiple, fast armor locks in a row. I don't think there will be any way to set up an easy kill against someone with armor lock.

Ratsult2 on
  • xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    sprinting, armor lock and camo all look sweet. Wondering how long the camo lasts so I can try out some sweet TF2 spy cloak/decloak tricks

Camo seems to last somewhere around 10 seconds. Seems to charge in about 5 seconds. I heard some chatter that there was something about it being more effective while stationary and crouched, not sure if it's the usual "lack of shimmer makes me hard to see" or some other mechanic.

But I can see people getting really good at playing as an assassin.

xzzy on
    edited April 2010
    I think it also has the same effect as the radar jammer on nearby enemies. So the other team will still know someones there.

Also it's not true camo so you will almost certainly be able to see through it if you know what you're looking for.

Blurbl on
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    xzzy wrote: »

Camo seems to last somewhere around 10 seconds. Seems to charge in about 5 seconds. I heard some chatter that there was something about it being more effective while stationary and crouched, not sure if it's the usual "lack of shimmer makes me hard to see" or some other mechanic.

But I can see people getting really good at playing as an assassin.

I have to admit, I'm afraid of how this is going to affect CtF and other defensive gametypes; now all you need to do is sit in the base with Camo, and fuck someone up as they walk by. :(

Might be a little too apprehensive about it though.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
    edited April 2010
    I timed a bunch of the armor abilities and here are my best estimates at their duration and recharge

Sprint: 4 second duration - 5 second recharge (0 regen till you hit that 5 second mark, then it happens all at once)
    Evade: 2 rolls on a full charge - 4 second recharge (0 regen until 4 seconds pass, then you are at full charge)
    Jetpack: 4 second duration - 12 second recharge (you get a steady recharge over time... 12 seconds to go from 0 to full)
    Cammo: 15 seconds moving. Double, maybe more stationary. Recharge 30 seconds (works like jetpack recharge)
    Armor lock: 5 second max lock... 20 seconds for a full recharge (works like jetpack recharge)

Edit: Cammo lasts longer if you are not moving. It is also harder to see someone cammod who is not moving. The big downside is it will jam everyone's radar (including your own) when in use, so it will sort of give away your position.

Ratsult2 on
  • Angel177Angel177 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    little bit about armor, emblems and colours...

here

Angel177 on
    6103544412_a48002080a.jpg
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Inside Xbox preview of Reach has more footage. For those who can't get enough. Invasion explained as well.

joshgotro on
    edited April 2010
    Angel177 wrote: »
    little bit about armor, emblems and colours...

here

In the Armor Abilities video, at 7:18, they show a covenant multiplayer level. Very purple... looks like it could be a spaceship level.

Also, the hammer seems to have a lunge effect like the sword. It doesn't seem to knock people back as far either.

Ratsult2 on
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Why must you tempt us Bungie?

Mx. Quill on
  • Nihilistic LemonNihilistic Lemon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ...Sprint: 4 seconds - 5 second recharge (happens all at once)...

So you only have to wait one second before being able to sprint again? Or am I misunderstanding the "happens all at once" part?

Nihilistic Lemon on
  • LookFreeGrenadeLookFreeGrenade Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    ...Sprint: 4 seconds - 5 second recharge (happens all at once)...

So you only have to wait one second before being able to sprint again? Or am I misunderstanding the "happens all at once" part?

pretty sure that means you use it and whether you used all of it or not it automatically refills after 5 seconds

LookFreeGrenade on
    ormskm.jpg20i89qa.jpg73f2j6.jpg
    edited April 2010
    From the videos it's a circle that fills up/depletes.

LordNibbler on
    Twitter
    edited April 2010
    4 seconds of sprint if you are fully charged. The "all at once" thing just means after you have used some of your charge, you get zero regen for 5 seconds... then after that 5 seconds, it's all the way full (even if you only use half of your charge). For example... you sprint and use up half of your charge. 4 seconds pass by, you are still at half charge, one second later, you are now at full charge.

The way other armor abilities work is a constant regen. An example of this is the jetpack. As soon as you stop jetpacking, it starts to regen. You get a constant increase. For example... you use up half of your charge. 3 seconds later you are at 75%, 3 seconds past that, you are full.

Ratsult2 on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So excited you guys. I want to try out the DMR so bad.

Added my gamertag to the list.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MH79 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked for the new BR too. It's so cool!

OmnomnomPancake on
  • pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GiantBomb did a preview feature that doesn't have much as far as new info goes, but a nice look at a couple maps / game modes in motion.

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • El ExtremoEl Extremo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    MH79 wrote: »

Yeah, I'm pretty stoked for the new BR too. It's so cool!

I see what you did there. Although I agree.

Plasma launcher fo' life!

El Extremo on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Nihilistic LemonNihilistic Lemon Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    4 seconds of sprint if you are fully charged. The "all at once" thing just means after you have used some of your charge, you get zero regen for 5 seconds... then after that 5 seconds, it's all the way full (even if you only use half of your charge). For example... you sprint and use up half of your charge. 4 seconds pass by, you are still at half charge, one second later, you are now at full charge.

The way other armor abilities work is a constant regen. An example of this is the jetpack. As soon as you stop jetpacking, it starts to regen. You get a constant increase. For example... you use up half of your charge. 3 seconds later you are at 75%, 3 seconds past that, you are full.

Okay I get it now. Thanks for the clarification :)

Nihilistic Lemon on
    edited April 2010
    Okay I get it now. Thanks for the clarification :)

Np, I couldn't really come up with a better description for it. It seems like sprint and roll are the only armor abilities that don't give you a constant regen.

Edit: I change some of the working around

I timed a bunch of the armor abilities and here are my best estimates at their duration and recharge

Sprint: 4 second duration - 5 second recharge (0 regen till you hit that 5 second mark, then it happens all at once)
    Evade: 2 rolls on a full charge - 4 second recharge (0 regen until 4 seconds pass, then you are at full charge)
    Jetpack: 4 second duration - 12 second recharge (you get a steady recharge over time... 12 seconds to go from 0 to full)
    Cammo: 15 seconds moving. Double, maybe more stationary. Recharge 20 seconds (works like jetpack recharge)
    Armor lock: 5 second max lock... 20 seconds for a full recharge (works like jetpack recharge)

Ratsult2 on
  • ViscountalphaViscountalpha The pen is mightier than the sword http://youtu.be/G_sBOsh-vyIRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    http://arstechnica.com/gaming/news/2010/04/play-the-halo-reach-beta-early-we-have-your-hook-up.ars

So. Looks like some invitations for halo reach beta will be given out the on the 29th. I think they only have 20 codes to give away so it's probably a longshot.

Viscountalpha on
  • GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    :(

The DMR looks like it'll be way better then the BR.

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It looks exactly the same to me. Just combining the bursts into single shots. Kinda dull, but hey.

Mechanical on
This discussion has been closed.