As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Halo: Reach Beta - The Spartans have stolen victory! What are they hiding?

• Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also apparently every high-ranking Insurrectionist is hispanic according to Cole Protocol.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    OmnomnomPancakeOmnomnomPancake Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    High-Ranking = Tough

Hispanic = Tough

etc

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah but they weren't though! They were all really really retarded.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Re-reading Contact Havest makes me really really want a SWAT style spinoff featuring Johnson against Insurrectionist terrorists.

Blurbl on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Toughness is the Hispanic Ratial Ability.

Unfortunately rashness and wanton destruction whilst driving in high speed drag races are also Racials.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    NocrenNocren Lt Futz, Back in Action North CarolinaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of wanton destruction while driving at high speeds, is there a list of the commendations you can get?
    I just checked my service record and there was a new one for being the wheelman while someone else is going ape-shit on the gun. There's also the headshot, multi kill, assists, killing spreed, sticky grenadier, and Technician (what actually defines an "Incredible Feat" anyway?) but are there any others?

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Contact Harvest is probably the worst fucking name any book in the history of the universe could possibly have.

MikeMan on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How to: Avoid Genital Warts

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    How to: Avoid Genital Warts
    you win this round

MikeMan on
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love how insignificant the victory points are compared to commendation points.
    For example, the highest commendation points I've had are ~400 for a super intense game of slayer invasion.
    We won, victory points: 12

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    KorKor Known to detonate from time to time Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love how insignificant the victory points are compared to commendation points.
    For example, the highest commendation points I've had are ~400 for a super intense game of slayer invasion.

It's especially humorous when you've got people in the pregame lobby laughing at you for only having 220 of your 300 games won.

Kor on
    DS Code: 3050-7671-2707
    Pokemon Safari - Sneasel, Pawniard, ????
  • Options
    edited May 2010

I like to pretend that you're starring in a military reality show. The Army is poor, and gives you only a few space bucks for your victory, but the reality show producer absolutely loves your mad headshots, sick assists, and groovy driving skills, and pays you out the ass for the all the merchandise you sell.

OmnomnomPancake on
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    man i love medals, and they don't really mean anything other than knowing what someone did in game just by reading stats.
    i have no problem with more medals. i love the new ones, and i am super happy assist made it over from ODST.

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    man i love medals, and they don't really mean anything other than knowing what someone did in game just by reading stats.
    i have no problem with more medals. i love the new ones, and i am super happy assist made it over from ODST.

Most of the time it doesn't bother me, however...

Close Call!
    Double Kill!
    Close Call!
    Triple Kill!
    Close Call!
    Revenge!
    Overkill!

That feels a bit much. And yes, obviously there is more going on there than just medals, but still.

Kor on
  • Options
    Farout FoolioFarout Foolio Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

I like to pretend that you're starring in a military reality show. The Army is poor, and gives you only a few space bucks for your victory, but the reality show producer absolutely loves your mad headshots, sick assists, and groovy driving skills, and pays you out the ass for the all the merchandise you sell.

That is the best point of view ever. :P
    Man, every single game of free-for-all I play is oddball-related. You'd think they'd have learned by now that is a quick way to assure me victory.
    I just finished a match where I had 50 more seconds than the person in second.
    My favorite tactic is to pick up the ball and, if on the outdoors level, run for a cliff. Nobody expects it and you get a precious couple of seconds while falling to your doom. : D

Farout Foolio on
    2tyFzTC.png

• Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Kor wrote: »

Close Call!
    Double Kill!
    Close Call!
    Triple Kill!
    Close Call!
    Revenge!
    Overkill!

That feels a bit much. And yes, obviously there is more going on there than just medals, but still.

Fired some bullets!

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    darleysam wrote: »

Close Call!
    Double Kill!
    Close Call!
    Triple Kill!
    Close Call!
    Revenge!
    Overkill!

Fired some bullets!

Hit a wall!

Hit the floor!

Hit an enemy!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    hailthefishhailthefish Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spawned!

Looked around!

Got a medal!

hailthefish on
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I keep getting major glitches when playing Invasion Slayer. Both teams will start with AR, no AA, and no sidearm. When you die you can only respawn on your teammate. Capturing a point will only reduce the timer to zero and give you no weapons. Once a team gets 25 kills the you get the 2nd wave then everything goes back to normal.

fortis on
  • Options
    RenzoRenzo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You guys are basically describing the Modern Warfare 2 Effect.

In MW2, you can die 10 times in a row, but if you then get a kill, suddenly you get "Comeback! +150"

And you immediately feel like you're awesome again.

Renzo on
  • Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't have a problem with the amount of medals. I think the only issue is the triggering on some of them. Take out the close call on a simultaneous melee death... instant revenge (on a simultaneous death)... the double close call on a double kill... and I think the medals will be fine.

I love when the stars align and you get 4 medals from a single kill.

Ratsult2 on
  • Options
    pardzhpardzh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Haha, I still don't understand it, but FUCK MEDALS! I'm on board!

pardzh on
    gt: Bobby2Socks | steam: Billy Boot-Snatcher

You talk clean and bomb hospitals, so I speak with the foulest mouth possible
  • Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Calling Next Thread. So don't make it.

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    ArrathArrath Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    AoR_Final wrote: »
    There actually were some balance problems because of Elite models; just ask anybody who played a game of ranked Swat in Halo 3.

Those people are wrong. Test it in a private match - the hitboxes are the same.

So looks like AR bullets can hit each other!

http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=737945
    http://www.bungie.net/Stats/Reach/FileDetails.aspx?fid=737626

This didn't get quite enough attention. AR bullets colliding? That is pretty cool, and makes me wonder what else can be shot. Rockets? Sniper bullets?

Arrath on
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Most projectiles could be affected mid-flight in Halo 3. There's videos of rocket baseball - you fire the rocket and whack it with a hammer and it flies off somewhere. Grenades can be pushed aside by other grenades' blasts, and so forth.

There's videos in Reach of people deflecting lasers with swords and stuff, though.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    Local H JayLocal H Jay Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    use to drive me nuts when i'd have a headshot lined up and have a flying body absorb the bullet right as i fire...

Local H Jay on
  • Options
    0Replace4Displace0Replace4Displace The best girls are ships and guns. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Willeth wrote: »
    Most projectiles could be affected mid-flight in Halo 3. There's videos of rocket baseball - you fire the rocket and whack it with a hammer and it flies off somewhere. Grenades can be pushed aside by other grenades' blasts, and so forth.

There's videos in Reach of people deflecting lasers with swords and stuff, though.

Rockets can be redirected by the focus rifle's beam as well, so I'm sure it's all over the place. Halo has some of the best (not most realistic) physics I've seen from a shooter.

I also had someone with a sword whose shields were down melee me as I melee'd him and I won without a scratch. Seems like it's been toned down quite a bit.

0Replace4Displace on
    u4OkoEI.png
  • Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can deflect sword lunges with a melee now. I've got more than a few bulltrues with it.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    TejsTejs Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    If you Armor Lock at the right time when someone shoots a rocket at you, it deflects at an angle. I've killed more than one person when someone shot a rocket at me, I locked, and it deflected into one of his team mates running to melee me.

Armor Lock has become my favorite new ability. I may never have the greatest score in a match, but the fact that I can run in a room and force everyone to use their grenades on me instantly gives an advantage to the rest of my team mates behind me.

Tejs on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love when someone shoots a fully charger plasma thrower at you, throw on the armor lock and it all bounces back. It works especially on sword base when the enemy team is charging your base for the flag.

Dixon on
  • Options
    darleysamdarleysam On my way to UKRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tejs wrote: »
    If you Armor Lock at the right time when someone shoots a rocket at you, it deflects at an angle. I've killed more than one person when someone shot a rocket at me, I locked, and it deflected into one of his team mates running to melee me.

Armor Lock has become my favorite new ability. I may never have the greatest score in a match, but the fact that I can run in a room and force everyone to use their grenades on me instantly gives an advantage to the rest of my team mates behind me.

I'm growing to love all the abilities, and today's is armour lock. I completely dominated an Arena match with it earlier.

Also, I believe I am now Local's bitch.

darleysam on
    forumsig.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Dixon wrote: »
    I love when someone shoots a fully charger plasma thrower at you, throw on the armor lock and it all bounces back. It works especially on sword base when the enemy team is charging your base for the flag.

Armor Lock is my "goto" power. Though it sucks when I'm denied it because of game type (King of the Hill, early Invasion rounds) or because I pick something else for whatever reason (usually sprint). Soon as I hear that 'clink' of a grenade or the whine of a plasma ball (grenade or launched) I instinctively hit that LB to lock up.

Also, I love how some idiots will stand around behind me and watch me lock and wait for it finish so they can try and assassinate me, while being in range of the EMP and then I can whack them in the head for a kill. Apparently they don't know that you can pan the camera around and look at your surroundings.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I seriously enjoy hearing people whine about how much Elites suck and are underpowered.

Are these people all smoking crack or something? Perhaps some kind of reality-enhancing drug?

Mechanical on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    yes.

Nocren on
    newSig.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I like the people that think theater mode has some like, magical higher detail models for everything.

All it does is capture in a higher resolution.. it's all still real-time assets. Otherwise watching films wouldn't actually work.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    dmaurodmauro Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »
    I seriously enjoy hearing people whine about how much Elites suck and are underpowered.

Are these people all smoking crack or something? Perhaps some kind of reality-enhancing drug?

Who says that? Invasion Slayer is broken because of their advantage.

dmauro on
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    Fizban140Fizban140 Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    The elite side is incredibly fucked over on the invasion map. On the second stage they have three close range classes against the Spartans that get 2 sniper rifles, rocket launcher, a tank and other assets. The covenant get almost nothing. They get a weapons cache that the spartans steal every time since they leave it there for them to take.

Fizban140 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    In phase 2 of Invasion (vanilla),

Covies Loadouts
    Evade with 2 Plasma grenades and a Needler Rifle w/plasma pistol.
    Cloak with 2 Plasma grenades and a Needler w/plasma pistol.

Covies have plenty of range. Not to mention the 2 Focus Rifles and 2 Plasma Launchers that spawn for them.

Also, Spartans don't get the Scorpion until phase 3.

Kor on
  • Options
    fortisfortis OhioRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Mechanical wrote: »

Elites are the best. I love the Needle Rifle, Plasma Repeater, and general feel of Elites better.
    In phase 2 of Invasion (vanilla),

Covies Loadouts
    Evade with 2 Plasma grenades and a Needler Rifle w/plasma pistol.
    Cloak with 2 Plasma grenades and a Needler w/plasma pistol.

Covies have plenty of range. Not to mention the 2 Focus Rifles and 2 Plasma Launchers that spawn for them.

Also, Spartans don't get the Scorpion until phase 3.

And rightfully so. It's generally harder to attack and complete an objective than it is to camp.

Is there a list of spawn points for various weapons and vehicles during the 2nd and 3rd phase?

fortis on
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    They definitely need some way of making it so only the Elites can get the power weapons.

And seperate them from each other, people are too tempted to grab both the focus rifle and plasma launcher.

FyreWulff on
This discussion has been closed.