As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[MAG] New Patch - Maps neutral - MAG ruined FOREVER?

• Options
    BornToHulaBornToHula Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I accidentally deleted the meta request for PA MAG, could anyone send me another one?

I just got back into this after getting very burnt out on Black Ops. I think between MAG and Bad Company 2 my shooter needs should be very well provided for.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    EvilMonkeyEvilMonkey Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Ruiner999 wrote: »
    I accidentally deleted the meta request for PA MAG, could anyone send me another one?

I just got back into this after getting very burnt out on Black Ops. I think between MAG and Bad Company 2 my shooter needs should be very well provided for.
    Thread moves too slow, missed this post.

I'm not home right now but I'll send you an invite later today. Pretty sure I saw you on last night when I was playing with Litany, you should've pinged me :P

Edit: Oh wait you're SVER. Not sure who would have sent you the invite. The only SVER member I know who still actively plays is Ain and he's not in the [PA] clan.

EvilMonkey on
    [PSN: SciencePiggy] [Steam]
  • Options
    SploozooSploozoo Grillaface Richmond VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Got a Move - thinking about getting back into this. Can grab a used copy for $20. Always liked MAG - just jumped ship when BFBC2 came out - and BLOPS is feeling more and more soulless.

Are the DLC packs must purchases? (Interdiction & Escalation)

Read through the past couple pages, will enlist in SVER. Hope to see y'all soon,

Grillaface

Sploozoo on
    Mnemonic anamnesis.

aka Grillaface
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Sploozoo wrote: »
    Got a Move - thinking about getting back into this. Can grab a used copy for $20. Always liked MAG - just jumped ship when BFBC2 came out - and BLOPS is feeling more and more soulless.

Are the DLC packs must purchases? (Interdiction & Escalation)

Read through the past couple pages, will enlist in SVER. Hope to see y'all soon,

Grillaface
    One of the traitors are back...*sniff*...thank you! :P

If they ever got around to offering the DLC pack that was rumored way back when (Interdiction + Escalation + various goodies for < cost of Interdiction + Escalation) I'd say do it just for the massive exp that you can rack up. I may be wrong but I believe all the xp bonuses stack (happy hour + multiqueue + Interdiction/Escalation), which is pretty sweet especially if you are creating a new char from scratch because v2.0 is much more difficult on new comers with no skill points or currency.

Paying full price though....depends on your tolerance for silly geese taking your spawn point for a joy ride (Interdiction) or your tolerance for yellow dots (Escalation). They can be a nice change of pace but for me they don't match up to Acquisition/Domination.

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Ruiner999 wrote: »

Thread moves too slow, missed this post.

I'm not home right now but I'll send you an invite later today. Pretty sure I saw you on last night when I was playing with Litany, you should've pinged me :P

Edit: Oh wait you're SVER. Not sure who would have sent you the invite. The only SVER member I know who still actively plays is Ain and he's not in the [PA] clan.

Where do most people play out of curiosity? Raven or Valor? SVER I dig, but given how fast you level up with a good squad I really don't mind a fresh start and some new weapons. Just let me know I guess.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

Origin is the exact same as my Steam, in case you're needing a Support or Assault in BF3.
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Roll Call (apologies if I missed anyone)

Fresh Meat (I haven't played with you yet or know for sure what PMC/clan you're in)
    tinyfist/henrykha
    belligerent/???
    Der Waffle Mous/DerWaffleMous
    Ruiner999/Borntohula87
    Voranth/Voranth

Weekend Warriors (no access during the week)
    Litany- (Raven: [PA])

Monthly Warriors? (works on a boat, don't those things have wifi yet?)
    SpannerX - (Raven? : [PA]

Backloggers (I see them on PSN but usually not when they are playing MAG)
    Malechai (Valor: [=V=])
    Craptastic-J (Valor: [=V=])
    *Vanderbrent (Raven: [PA])

*I don't see Vander but I think he's working on his Steam backlog....or just StarCraft

BLOPS Jerks (who I can convince to play with me from time to time)
    PBC (Raven: [PA])
    SteadiestShark (Raven: [PA])

SVER Savior (you'll let me into your clan one day right? I'LL BOMB YOUR BUNKER!)
    Ain (SVER: [Unknown])

Zombies (back from the dead)
    Grillaface (SVER: [Unknown])

Science Officer Jerkface (me!)
    SciencePiggy (Raven: [PA], Valor: [=V=])

To any of the new maggots who aren't on my friends list feel free to add me. Nine times outta ten I'll drop whatever single player game I'm playing for multi fun when pinged. Unless you see me playing Brutal Legend in which case that's the girl I pay to collect trophies for me.
    or rather I asked the better-half kindly to play on my account instead of hers :P

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm on SVER, no clan to speak of.

I discovered I'm absolute garbage at sniping and respecced to do some machinegunning. I went some like 31-16 with a stock RTK74, so I've found my calling. I dunno though, something just clicked, it's a different speed than Bad Company 2 or Black Ops, I've learned to just slow down and defend or assault.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    edited January 2011
    Snipers are my bane in this game, or specifically spawn snipers. Vander seemed to have damned near perfected the art of running-and-gunning with the T1 sniper rifle with the quick fire-rate, or at the least achieved a level of competence that I will never know.

I've always leaned towards the close quarters weapons (SMG/shotgun) in MAG but running with a battle rifle (T3 assault rifle) and various combinations of 4x / noobtube is always a nice break. The LMG is still a beast but I don't think it's abused nearly as much as it's "hipfire-spinaround everyone dies from headshots" heyday.

...and rereading this post I realize that anyone starting post v2.0 will have no idea what I mean by T1/T3....since I have no idea what the gun names actually are you'll just have to deal with it :P

...or you could go to the old MAG tools site to see what vanilla MAG looked like.

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I know what the T1-T3 rifles are, looking at SVER it's a pretty clear difference in terms of quality. You start out with this awful little carbine and work your way up to an AN-94 Abakan. I'm digging the Eastern Bloc styling of all the weapons, although I do have some apprehensions about how slow my sidearm fires.

I can't stand the snipers in this game, they just don't have the same weight I'm used to in other games.

BornToHula on
    steam_sig.png

• Options
    MalechaiMalechai Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Basicly the teir 1 rifle's not as powerfull, but it's actualy possible to run and gun with it if you wish to try. The teir2 2.5 and 3 cannot be hip fired, well they can but your target would stand there and laugh as the bullets missed by a mile if he knew what you were trying to do.

Honestly I can't stand the sniper rifle at all which is kind of a shame cause it's the only weapon I need the awards for still. Luckily with the 2.0 patch it's perfectly possible to take a teir2+ rifle with a bipod and a good scope and no skill points and honestly do just as well with a fully spec'd sniper running the same setup.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    SteadiestSharkSteadiestShark Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I WISH I was a BLOPS jerk...I've been stuck in one of the worst 2 weeks of my life, constant self-induced last-minute coursework and revision. Yes, I'm an idiot and I sincerely hope that I've learnt my lesson.

I'll try to get online soon guys, my last exam is tomorrow - but I have some plans that I want to partake in.

SteadiestShark on
    GT/PSN: SteadiestShark
  • Options
    SpannerXSpannerX Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I feel slighted!

Nah, honestly, I've been away for a month, and playing other games for the month(s) before hand. I think I'm on Raven still, not sure. I really should get back on.

SpannerX on
    PSN: spannerx1970
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    SpannerX wrote: »
    I feel slighted!
    Can't have that, roll call edited! :P
    I WISH I was a BLOPS jerk...I've been stuck in one of the worst 2 weeks of my life, constant self-induced last-minute coursework and revision. Yes, I'm an idiot and I sincerely hope that I've learnt my lesson.
    Stop procrastinating with BLOPS and maybe you wouldn't have this problem!
    I kid! :P

My friends list has cursed me with people who I enjoy playing with but they continue to send me BLOPS invites. If not for these people that game would have been traded in weeks ago; I just don't understand the mass appeal it receives. I played a round last night where I went on an ~20 death streak where I would spawn and within 0-2 seconds be dead again. Uncharted figured out a good spawn system on their first try, what the hell CoD? </whine></vent>

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I have been investing my time into TFTD lately. One of those games you played a million times but never beat. So close to finishing it. Soon I shall be back shooting squad leaders that don't have the mental fortitude to frago the bunker.
    Just captured two lobstermen commanders in one base mission serriously the game is practicly over.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Ok, finally free - although I'm trying to finish up my time with FF13. If I see you guys on, I'll abandon it and join you...

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    FF13 is in my backlog as well...with Nier and Batman. I both love and curse boxing day sales.

Once again, if you see me playing a single player game and looking for company for the shooting of manz send me a ping.

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    You should really give FF13 a go, it's great once you get past the tutorial. lol

(Then again, I liked it all the way....until the end chapter or two - where it just seems to get rushed) :P

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Happy birfday to MAG
    Starting today to the 30th, queue/happy hour bonuses upped to 256%, Dom/Acqui have gone neutral, and play with Zipper if you can find them.

Vet you fools, vet! :P

I may have to take the opportunity to vet to SVER but I'd be open to the idea of getting suckered by Zipper for another 1$ to open a Raven slot if requested.

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'll be available to tango over the next few days...

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wow now that dom and aqui have gone neutral I almost feel no desire to go back to the game. I mean yeah sure balance but now there is no flavor to the factions anymore other than what guns they got. Which if what I've heard is right they have normalized the stats on the guns too.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Malechai wrote: »
    Wow now that dom and aqui have gone neutral I almost feel no desire to go back to the game. I mean yeah sure balance but now there is no flavor to the factions anymore other than what guns they got. Which if what I've heard is right they have normalized the stats on the guns too.
    As far as I know they revert back to normal after the "birthday bash" ends. Not a fan of the move either but I'll deal with it to rack up that xp. Didn't hear about the stats normalization, that seems...odd.

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    EvilMonkey wrote: »
    Malechai wrote: »
    As far as I know they revert back to normal after the "birthday bash" ends. Not a fan of the move either but I'll deal with it to rack up that xp. Didn't hear about the stats normalization, that seems...odd.

Mostly just rumors and rumbling within V. They say that the acc on raven guns got toned down the damage on sver guns get toned down so everything ends up being more like valor guns. Kinda hard to test realy but oh well if they do indeed put things back to normal then i should return once the sleeping one is deat with.
    Less than a month till the leviathan is ready and research on re'yalth is going on right now.

xcom2 piggy.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I'm just going to smile and nod :P

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Vetted to SVER, after my third happy hour I'm convinced that the longer I play the louder and more stupid my so-called teammates become. You make me very sad MAG. At least I've already hit level 40.

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Online shooters would be so great if not for all the people.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I wish I wasn't bogged down with coursework, I wanted to hit level 70 with my SVER dood. :(

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    I think I hit level 57 playing 1-2 hours each day during the event (sweet sweet happy hour). If only I didn't waste the first happy hour playing with PBC on Raven :P

If I keep playing I'm going to have to try to find an active clan that doesn't mind me accidentally mortaring our own bunker from time-to-time. Played a round last night attacking SVER's DOM where the pubbies and I rolled the front line in 5 minutes. They then camped their "trophies" and watched me continuously charge towards the letters to be blasted down by firing squads. I can only picture them talking amongst themselves asking why that crazy Piggy keeps running forward to his death when clearly holding the broken bunkers/AA ensures victory.

Ain: It looks like you're no longer an officer of $MB (or whatever your clan tag is). Was on the lookout for other members to pester for an invite but I only remember seeing one, who I didn't play with because multi-queue had thrown me into suppression and I immediately backed out.

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    LitanyLitany Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    New patch makes maps neutral.

What's the plan going forward? I don't have as much time as I used to so vetting again seems pretty unlikely. Really miss playing with everyone and now with this it might be easier to NOT go SVER.

Litany on
    Steam: Litany || PSN: Litany- || Nintendo Network ID: Litany
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Well between the fact that I'm only getting one day a week off these days and they've finaly thrown out the last thing that makes any faction actualy diffrent from one another I think I'm trading for kz3. Maybe some day in the far flung future I may come back but for now I just don't have the time for MAG any more.

Been a blast playin with you guys though.

Malechai on
    sig5ez4.jpg
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Mal noooooooooo! And MAG actually has trade-in value somewhere? I figured once it hit the cheap list the amount you get wasn't worthwhile.

Already talked to Lit but I have chars in all 3 factions so to anyone who still wants to MAG feel free to ping me.

Edit: And boooo map neutrality. Booooo I say!

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I promise that I'll play MAG again after April.

Until then, the amount of time that I have for gaming is negligible...

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    GezGez Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Can anyone tell me how many people are on right now? The Aussie PSN has the game for $23.95 (about $15USD if taking away the 'Australian Tax')

Don't guess on how many people are on. I don't wanna buy a game that is dead online.

Gez on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Game is very much alive, just not the PA clan. I played for an hour or 2 each night this weekend. Dom games unfortunately seem to take awhile to get into but the wait is negligible if you don't care what gametype you're playing and hit the multiqueue.

EvilMonkey on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    Dammit Piggy, check MSN for me! :(

I'm not the pre-emptive kind, I'm the kind that waits with the PS3 off until somebody tells me on MSN or I get a lucky refresh on the PSN page. lol

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    edited April 2011
    Alrighty, my final university work is over - I'll probably be around a lot more now.

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    Craptastic-JCraptastic-J Registered User regular
    edited April 2011
    Alrighty, my final university work is over - I'll probably be around a lot more now.

I was also going to be around more, sometime, anytime I'm allowed.
    Want to knock out those last couple Valor levels and head back to the Motherland

Craptastic-J on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    My dark side loves this comic:

i-Rrh8FjH-L.jpg

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    So I've been knocking out some pretty epic XP totals these last few Valor levels with all these bonuses. Should be at 70 in a few days.

I got invited to some clan (I'm pretty sure we've had bad run ins with them in the past, and I wont mention names in case they are reading) and it gets lonely pubbing it. It was awful, they were awful.
    Got stuck in a Valor map sabotage attack with a full 8 pack from this clan. 3 went spawn sniper, 2 just hung out on the road right near the red line, dying repeatedly. The other two would randomly run to A or B, or the church, or nowhere. I took B twice by myself, and since I was new and they all knew eachother I didnt want to be pushy. But I asked with a few minutes left about organizing a push, some other people said oh yah, half of them gave up before making it to B and scattered, the other half just got mowed down and my medkit only has so much effect on a pile of corpses. They didnt seem to distressed that we lost. I finished way in the negative K/D, but with 20 something rezzes and double the XP of #2 in our platoon.

I wont be staying long. Where am I going and when can I leave?

Craptastic-J on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No idea where you'll need to go afterwards.

I'm currently (at a very slow rate) working towards 70 on my SVER guy (already 70 on Raven).

I found out today that I'm pretty much only decent with either a 50 cal loadout (combat sniper style!), a shotgun loadout (berserker style!) and somewhat the 4th assault rifle loadout (slightly-more-tactical-than-berserker style!).

I didn't realise how necessary a maxed out motion tracker AND sensor jammer is for me. I just wish it was possible to have a silenced kitted-out 4th assault rifle loadout, but I suppose I'll live with unsilenced.

SteadiestShark on
  • Options
    edited May 2011
    No idea where you'll need to go afterwards.

I'm currently (at a very slow rate) working towards 70 on my SVER guy (already 70 on Raven).

I found out today that I'm pretty much only decent with either a 50 cal loadout (combat sniper style!), a shotgun loadout (berserker style!) and somewhat the 4th assault rifle loadout (slightly-more-tactical-than-berserker style!).

I didn't realise how necessary a maxed out motion tracker AND sensor jammer is for me. I just wish it was possible to have a silenced kitted-out 4th assault rifle loadout, but I suppose I'll live with unsilenced.

I jumped into SVER cause Piggy said thats where the remnants are. I'm in some random (random invite my first match back) but active clan there waiting to hear from you guys if you have a clan still.

I was given instant officer powers so I can invite there as well if it seems more active than wherever you guys are. They had between 16-25 people on for a Saturday afternoon. And had a guy finish with 116 kills and 15-20 deaths

Craptastic-J on