As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

call of cthulhu and related endeavours

• Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    orik what is going on with that shirt

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    OrikaeshigitaeOrikaeshigitae Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Sars_Boy wrote: »
    orik what is going on with that shirt

my uncle went to las vegas and i told him to get the gaudiest shirt he could find

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I have the same shirt.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    in that case bravo

i could use a shirt like that

sometimes me and some buddies go to this hawaiian themed restraunt dressed like dudes who wear hawaiian t shirts

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    it's basically my 'around the house' shirt. it's really comfy. i almost see where Mysst is coming from.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What is Call of Cthulu like? I've not played it before.
    I'm starting up a table top game soon that is basically what I imagine the style Call of Cthulu would be in terms of setting and environment, but I'm using the Deadlands system which is familiar to me.

The one I played is basically d 20 modern, if you know those rules, with some sanity rules thrown in. The other, newer books are not based on that system. First of all, you choose whether to be a defensive or an offensive character. Defensive characters have higher saves, while offensive characters have higher attack bonuses. Other than that you have regular dnd stats. Everyone is considered a rogue in terms of how many skill points they get.

Then you can choose feats and skills just like in dnd 3.5. There is one skill that you cannot take, called Cthulu Mythos (or something like that). This is a bad skill to have. The more you learn about cthulu, the more sanity damage you take. You can only raise this skill through events, not leveling up.

If I remember right, your sanity is a stat that you get by multiplying your wisdom, by either 4 or 5. This makes wisdom perhaps the most important stat, so you have to make sure that you don't game the system and create a character that would have a high wisdom score for no reason. Based on things that happen in the game, you can take certain levels of sanity loss, either temporary or permanent. Once you start to reach certain ratios of sanity, you start developing tics. This is where the game really shines, and where a dm will really prove his worth. In our game, something happened to a character that involved an increasing loss of light. At the end of the encounter, he had lost enough sanity to develop a tic, and that became an intense phobia of the dark. In the wild west, being afraid of the dark is a bitch.

Once you lose all of your sanity you basically die, you go completely insane and lose control of your character.

Other than that, just imagine a very low level dnd game. You have low hp, and unless your character is made around combat (most won't be), you can't do very well when fighting things. It's more of a game of cleverly thinking around puzzles and finding different ways to progress, than just fighting to get to the end.

Langly on
  • Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm definitely grabbing that Ravenloft game when it releases. Might try to scare up some folks to play. WHo lives near north Fl?

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    AgentofOrangeAgentofOrange Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    What is Call of Cthulu like? I've not played it before.
    I'm starting up a table top game soon that is basically what I imagine the style Call of Cthulu would be in terms of setting and environment, but I'm using the Deadlands system which is familiar to me.

The one I played is basically d 20 modern, if you know those rules, with some sanity rules thrown in. The other, newer books are not based on that system. First of all, you choose whether to be a defensive or an offensive character. Defensive characters have higher saves, while offensive characters have higher attack bonuses. Other than that you have regular dnd stats. Everyone is considered a rogue in terms of how many skill points they get.

Then you can choose feats and skills just like in dnd 3.5. There is one skill that you cannot take, called Cthulu Mythos (or something like that). This is a bad skill to have. The more you learn about cthulu, the more sanity damage you take. You can only raise this skill through events, not leveling up.

If I remember right, your sanity is a stat that you get by multiplying your wisdom, by either 4 or 5. This makes wisdom perhaps the most important stat, so you have to make sure that you don't game the system and create a character that would have a high wisdom score for no reason. Based on things that happen in the game, you can take certain levels of sanity loss, either temporary or permanent. Once you start to reach certain ratios of sanity, you start developing tics. This is where the game really shines, and where a dm will really prove his worth. In our game, something happened to a character that involved an increasing loss of light. At the end of the encounter, he had lost enough sanity to develop a tic, and that became an intense phobia of the dark. In the wild west, being afraid of the dark is a bitch.

Once you lose all of your sanity you basically die, you go completely insane and lose control of your character.

Other than that, just imagine a very low level dnd game. You have low hp, and unless your character is made around combat (most won't be), you can't do very well when fighting things. It's more of a game of cleverly thinking around puzzles and finding different ways to progress, than just fighting to get to the end.
    Deadlands has something called "Guts" and "Grit". When you see something terrifying, you roll a guts check to overcome the sanity check. You fail, something bad happens off of the %table. On a long enough time, you get Grit, which adds a modifier to your roll.
    I figure'd this'd be enough to make a horror/mystery game in a relative steam punk setting. I mean, I love deadlands in the western setting, but I thought a homebrew setting could bring some cool new features.

AgentofOrange on
  • Options
    CogliostroCogliostro Marginal Opinions Spring, TXRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God damn I want to start a CoC Campaign. I need to get in contact with the local gaming group and see if someone wants to play.

Of course I have to get the books, first. Hmm.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If you get the Chaosium version there's only one core rulebook, which serves as Player's Handbook, bestiary and contains 4 adventures. Also it's better than the d20 version, which doesn't make much sense.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I haven't seen the d20 version.

Though I do loves me some d20 Modern. I'll see if I can find the Chaosium version. I gather there are more than one system for the Cthulu set?

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Here's a good introduction to the Chaosium rules.

http://catalog.chaosium.com/pages.php?CDpath=29

I don't understand your question.

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, there's the d20 ruleset... but I've seen several other versions (I think) of it.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Arkham Horror isn't that complex. I taught it to my sister and she has a hard time adding 7 and 8 together.

Once you get it running it goes smooth.

As for CoC we have yet to actually finish a game in a manner deemed good by the person running it.

The one time we technically finished one it was because we stole two planes and flew the fuck out of there. All other time we end up stopping.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Wait.. your sister or your brother? O_o

Nice :D

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    the jury is still out on that.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh dear.

Cogliostro on
  • Options
    ProbadProbad Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    thorpe wrote: »
    Also apparently there was some weird Cthulhu/Evangelion-esque mash up a little while back, which is certainly a... novel idea.

It's called CthulhuTech, and oddly enough, I own a digital copy of the core book.

So you know, if any of you ever feel like starting a game about punching antediluvian horrors in the face with giant anime robots, I might be up for it.

Probad on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    fighting lovecraftian horrors with robots and mechs seems kinda, missing the point? Iunno, doesn't grab me at all.

Melding on
  • Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes things lose a bit of mystery when you can just punch it in the face.

Hobnail on
    Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Look out for that unnameable horror! I am shooting my missiles at it!

Melding on
  • Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Weren't they already fighting unnameable horrors in Evangelion anyways?

Ruby Rhod on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I think they named them. not sure.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    "Pete"

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    Ruby RhodRuby Rhod Multipass!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How horrible.

Ruby Rhod on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I totally just bought the CoC core book. I'm pretty sure I can hook my friends into this better than D&D, because some of them get really bored of the combat. This seems to involve much more thinking.

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    Zombies Tossed My Salad!Zombies Tossed My Salad! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hey I get to run this for my games as lit class in a few weeks

Zombies Tossed My Salad! on
  • Options
    IloveslimesIloveslimes Everett, WARegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love Arkham Horror. I need to find local people to play it with. And I need to buy the big expansions. It makes it even harder to win, but they add even more character choices and fun.

Iloveslimes on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Melding and I got the Innsmouth expansion today

pic670583_md.jpg

it adds new characters, personal goals for all investigators, new great old ones, new mechanics (federal raids and Deep One uprisings) and new monsters

basically this is super fun and everyone should play it all the time

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    FandeathisFandeathis Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    That looks so sick!

Fandeathis on
    You fuck wit' Die Antwoord, you fuck wit' da army.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dang. Wanna play this so bad.

A Dabble Of Thelonius on
    vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    yeah. we have a friend who just got out of the hospital so we're trying to spend a lot of time with him

which means we have played this game almost every day this week

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Dang. Wanna play this so bad.

then maybe you should move here then stupid Florida.

Melding on
  • Options
    Kool-Aid GuyKool-Aid Guy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I used to pick up CoC and Shadowrun stuff all the time when I was a kid, but I never learned how to play, just liked the stories and pretty pictures.

And despite its flaws, I quite enjoyed that Dark Corners of the Earth game a while back

Kool-Aid Guy on
    OH YEEEAAAAHHH
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    cthulthu or whatever is gay

Knob on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I hear he likes little boys.

Melding on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    whatever, fag

Orikaeshigitae on
  • Options
    KnobKnob TURN THE BEAT BACK InternetModerator mod
    edited April 2010
    a good friend of mine bought arkham asylum a long time ago

he has never played it once and absolutely refuses to because it looks 'long and boring' and also because he is ten faggots that suck dicks

Knob on
  • Options
    KusuguttaiKusuguttai __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    i would love to try this game if anyone would run it online somehow

by this game i mean any of the games mentioned

i love tabletop games

Kusuguttai on