As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

ATTACK OF THE THIRD DIMENSION! Comic-related Movies, TV, Video Games

• Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Solomon Kane is a Puritan, and I believe the setting is America.

Robos A Go Go on
  • TomantaTomanta Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I didn't even know they were working on a Solomon Kane film. It looks awesome.

Tomanta on
  • cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't get why Hollywood has this incessant need to ressurect old comic book characters. The Spirit, The Shadow, The Phantom, Soloman Kane, Conan (ok, Conan is cool), Green Hornet, etc...

Don't they get that those characters are no longer around because not enough people are interested in them?

cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
  • VirralVirral Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Is there really a new Conan film coming? Because that would be great!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Virral wrote: »
    Is there really a new Conan film coming? Because that would be great!

indeed

Mickey Rourke is playing Conan's dad

Diablo Fett on
    edited April 2010
    Oh thank god for the "'s dad" at the end of that sentence!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Diablo FettDiablo Fett Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    this dude is playing Conan

Diablo Fett on
  • DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    this dude is playing Conan

The fuck? No women will be lamenting to him.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    Hey that seems like a good choice!

The teaser trailer looks good too...
    http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=5023883452102038144#

Don't you know the dewey decimal system?!

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • ManetherenWolfManetherenWolf Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh lord. the after credits clip for IM2 is already leaked online.

edit: Well it was. Its already been taken down off Youtube.

MAJOR SPOILER
    It was the middle of the desert, and a SHIELD agent pulls up to a huge crater in the ground, pulls out his phone and says "We've found it"... cut to the center of the crater, and Mjolnir is lodged in the ground... Fade to black with thunder SFX

ManetherenWolf on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Solomon Kane is a Puritan, and I believe the setting is America.

True dat. He just travels around the world having massive pistol and sword fights with vampires, demons, and all sorts of crazy supernatural shit. The movie was fantastic. And he's had two really good comic series - one from Marvel back when I was a kid, and more recently from Dark Horse.

And regarding the guy who is playing Conan, Wikipedia says:
    Momoa... has been cast as Khal Drogo in the HBO adaption of Game of Thrones.

Hell yes.

Hensler on
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So apparently Jonah Hex really sucks.

The "Wild Wild West" references make me weep.

And after reading that after-credits Iron Man 2 spoiler I just about jizzed on the screen.

wirehead26 on
    I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
  • cardboard delusionscardboard delusions USAgent PSN: USAgent31Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Must...resist...spoilers...

cardboard delusions on
  • GankGank Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sweet. Back-flipping. Jesus. I instantly regretted checking that spoiler for just how awesome it was, even though you could kinda see it coming given how hulk ended.
    Awesome.

Also Momoa is kick ass and should be a fantastic Conan!

Gank on
    galactussig-1.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Ouch those reviews of Jonah Hex are pretty damning.

Virral on
    2vlp7o9.jpg
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

MAJOR SPOILER
    It was the middle of the desert, and a SHIELD agent pulls up to a huge crater in the ground, pulls out his phone and says "We've found it"... cut to the center of the crater, and Mjolnir is lodged in the ground... Fade to black with thunder SFX

I love spoilers. And in many ways the people who bring me spoilers. <3

Caveman Paws on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

MAJOR SPOILER

For the moment it's back up at Bleedingcool they also have a screenshot of the the important bit.

Soooooo for those that have seen it, what do you guys think?
    I was kinda hoping they went with the Ultimates Hammer. This one doesn't look all that special.

noir_blood on
    edited April 2010
    noir_blood wrote: »

MAJOR SPOILER

For the moment it's back up at Bleedingcool they also have a screenshot of the the important bit.

Soooooo for those that have seen it, what do you guys think?
    I was kinda hoping they went with the Ultimates Hammer. This one doesn't look all that special.

I think they're too concerned about the Avengers film and thus filling their film with references some of their audience won't get.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    Jonah Hex review
    Furthermore, there's more troubling news in the form of early screening reactions. For they have not been positive. The first alarm bell comes in the form of the film's running time, which appears to be a mere 80 minutes. That, in itself, isn't a problem, of course, but when a major blockbuster falls shy of the 85-90 minute mark - name the last one to do it - then you sense that scissors have been heavily at work.

Then there are the reactions going up at Ain't It Cool News. The site has several reports from a test screening of an unfinished cut of the film, and the reactions have been brutal.

"Even with low expectations this film was a complete and utter mess," writes one reviewer. "I can tolerate a mediocre plot as long as I'm not bored out of my skull, but Jonah Hex meanders aimlessly for the majority of its runtime," says the next, while another argues that "Sadly, there's no fixing this one. The problems are deeply rooted, and can't be solved with an edit. Massive reshoots would be required, and that's not going to happen before the 18th of June."

There's not a positive review in the bunch of them. Check them out here if you don't believe us.

Selected Reviews From Ain't It Cool News (keep in mind this is from a test screening and this isn't the finished cut. There may still be tweaks)

Josh Brolin - does a great job as Jonah

The movie started out fairly strong... But very quickly the plot devolves into almost literally the exact same basic plot as Wild Wild West

I love Will Arnett, but he is horribly miscast here

A real serious problem is that both John Malkovich and Josh Brolin are great actors they're playing their parts from different places and together it just doesnt work

Megan Fox is as dull and cardboard as you'd expect her to be

It's not all bad though, it's shot really well, the sets are great, and Brolin does a decent turn

I can tolerate a mediocre plot as long as I'm not bored out of my skull, but Jonah Hex meanders aimlessly for the majority of its runtime before finally reaching a VERY standard save the girl, stop the weapon of mass destruction, and kill the badguy climax

Apart from Josh Brolin, who does a serviceable job despite his distracting makeup, the acting is generally awful. Malkovich looks like he's tired of life. Fox looks like she's had one ambien too many

Possibly the worst crime of all is the movie has no distinctive style. The cinematography is flat as can be

Fox is just so flat! She does nothing except look hot in a really sexy prostitute outfit. As an actor, she never makes the character likable. Even though she's badass in some scenes, she's always cold. Contrast this with Josh Brolin, who is fantastic as Jonah Hex. Here's this ugly man who is full of hate, but he still manages to crack some wit and charm through the disgusting scars on his face

All in all, things aren't looking up for Mr. Hex. The positive consensus seemed to be that Brolin brings his all, Megan Fox is hot (but can't act) and the flick is well shot. The negative consensus seems to be everything else.

DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    The Jonah Hex comic has gotten so good over the past few years that it's a real shame to see how much the movie is going to blow.

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    DarkWarrior on
    edited April 2010
    Thought it was a onesie at first. If it was, I was so totally going to buy it for my new kid.

cshadow42 on
    edited April 2010
    I fancy getting it but the reviews leave me perplexed, they say the print isn't as large as it uis on there but thatd just be false advertising then. I only want it if it looks exactly like that.

DarkWarrior on
  • WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wonder if some of them ended up with this?

Wildcat on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Solomon Kane looks good.

I'm not sure about Scott Pilgrim. The comic is one of the greatest things in the world, but Michael Cera is Scott Pilgrim. So he will be just be the same flat awkward guy he is in pretty much everything, which won't work for Scott. The awkward thing works, but Scott is hyper and moody and stuff.

DouglasDanger on
  • Sharp101Sharp101 TorontoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I dunno man, I'm still pretty damn excited for the Scott Pilgrim movie.

It might have something to do with friends working on set and them filming here in Toronto...

Sharp101 on
  • The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I saw the trailer for scott pilgrim and immediately knew I made the right choice to not want to see/read scott pilgrim

it may very well be the exact opposite of anything I would ever like

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    TLB wants movies that get results

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
    edited April 2010

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R10ljA0-sHs

Machete, coming this fall, and featuring the triumphant return of Steven Seagal to the big screen.

Hensler on
  • noir_bloodnoir_blood Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hensler wrote: »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R10ljA0-sHs

Machete, coming this fall, and featuring the triumphant return of Steven Seagal to the big screen.

Not super comic related, but they just came out with a featurette about Trejo's character in Predators, and he's called..."cuchillo", which means knives in Spanish. Rodriguez/Trejo sure love their specific silverware.

I mean, they should just have Trejo be same character for all movies.

noir_blood on
    edited April 2010

I want a movie that has to turn in its badge and gun

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2010
    I like it because its topical! Please let it be set in Arizona...

cshadow42 on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ah, man. This sucks

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/04/27/green-lantern-wonder-woman-animated-sequels-bruce-timm/

Since I bought the movies the day they came out, I blame all of you.

Bloods End on
  • TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Batgirl: Year One will sell a million times better than Wonder Woman just because it's connected to the bat family. Do it DC, do it, or at least admit you won't do it because Dixon was the co-writer for the mini and you don't want to give him more money.

TexiKen on
    edited April 2010
    A good indication of how their respective live-action films will do I think.

DarkWarrior on
  • Bloods EndBloods End Blade of Tyshalle Punch dimensionRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So they will make money over a long time?

Bloods End on
    edited April 2010
    Even though he says it won't happen for a long time, the fact that he's leaving a new Batman Beyond cartoon on the table is great news.

Hensler on
    edited April 2010
    still mad that the teen titans movie was shelved

The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
    edited April 2010
    Bloods End wrote: »
    Ah, man. This sucks

http://splashpage.mtv.com/2010/04/27/green-lantern-wonder-woman-animated-sequels-bruce-timm/

Since I bought the movies the day they came out, I blame all of you.

I watched both of those on Netflix. My wife really liked Wonder Woman, and says she'd like to see it again.

cshadow42 on
    edited April 2010
    I hate the character of Wonder Woman, but watched the movie anyways - it turned out to be my favorite of the DC Animated flicks.

Hensler on
This discussion has been closed.