As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Super Street Fighter IV: Team RanBat tonight at 9 eastern! Get a teammate!

• ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rubix42 wrote: »
    GG last night PS3 guys. Had a lot of fun.

Things noticed:

Adon is very fun
    Deejay cant hit confirm jab to strong for shit. No range on strong.
    THawk hits like a train
    Juri's footsies are terrible
    Juri's fireball is terrible
    Makoto is terrible

Goku needs a mic.

and question:

Can you turn off blind select in player matches? I understand their purpose in ranked but for player lobbies its kinda nice to know if somebody is going to feed you their main all day when you are just trying to learn new characters.

Why not just ask? I'd tell you who I'm picking if you asked.

Um, I wasnt directing that comment at anyone. I just know in the future, if you lack a mic, it will be difficult to just play around with some one or encourage them to play random by hovering your char select over the random '?'.

As to Adon:

I think he should be played a bit like controlled chaos. All of his specials can Focus Break and his primary poke s.rh does too. He can live in another characters mug and pick at them.

His Knee->FADC->Ultra timing is very,very tight though.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Antihippy wrote: »
    You need to rely alot more on makoto's normal moves than her specials, it's going to be hard the first time you use her to utilise them fully though because she moves awkwardly which some people aren't used too.

The awkward movement I don't mind--I kind of like the way her slow walking speed makes her fast moves even more surprising--but I'm somewhat baffled as to how she's supposed to be played.

I really love her character concept, though, so here's a whole slew of questions for you or anyone who understands how to use her.

MP or cr.MP into Hayate...is this her bread & butter combo? Is MP into Hayate what I want to do if someone's stunned from a focus attack?

What am I supposed to do after I land the Karakusa grab & choke? MP into Hayate still?

The Fukiage upwards punch. What can I hit with it, and how do I hit with it? Even using the LP version for anti-air seems really hard to position correctly. Is there a bread & butter way to combo into this?

I've heard multiple times that once she knocks her opponent down the pressure game is intense. Why? Is there a meaty attack or something I'm supposed to be doing as they stand up? The Oroshi overhead chop move seems too slow to surprise anyone with.

I haven't played against any fireball spammers with her yet, but it feels like it might be a problem area. What's her way of getting past them?

Likewise, since she's an up close character, how should she handle grappler characters? Zip in for a quick hit then get the hell out of dodge?

wonderpug on
  • ValiantheartValiantheart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Does her grab have different ranges for jab-strong-fierce?

What about the amount of follow up time you have to combo after the move?

I got a couple of grabs with her and really couldnt follow up for damage with ultra or fierce->lunge punch.

Valiantheart on
    PSN: Valiant_heart PC: Valiantheart99
  • BarrabasBarrabas Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    wonderpug wrote: »
    You need to rely alot more on makoto's normal moves than her specials, it's going to be hard the first time you use her to utilise them fully though because she moves awkwardly which some people aren't used too.

The awkward movement I don't mind--I kind of like the way her slow walking speed makes her fast moves even more surprising--but I'm somewhat baffled as to how she's supposed to be played.

I really love her character concept, though, so here's a whole slew of questions for you or anyone who understands how to use her.

MP or cr.MP into Hayate...is this her bread & butter combo? Is MP into Hayate what I want to do if someone's stunned from a focus attack?

What am I supposed to do after I land the Karakusa grab & choke? MP into Hayate still?

The Fukiage upwards punch. What can I hit with it, and how do I hit with it? Even using the LP version for anti-air seems really hard to position correctly. Is there a bread & butter way to combo into this?

I've heard multiple times that once she knocks her opponent down the pressure game is intense. Why? Is there a meaty attack or something I'm supposed to be doing as they stand up? The Oroshi overhead chop move seems too slow to surprise anyone with.

I haven't played against any fireball spammers with her yet, but it feels like it might be a problem area. What's her way of getting past them?

Likewise, since she's an up close character, how should she handle grappler characters? Zip in for a quick hit then get the hell out of dodge?

I'm just learning her now too so I can't answer much. But I do know after choke I do hp -> mp hayate. hp hayate works too but the timing is strict and I prefer the more forgiving mp version online.

As for fire balls I've been trying to focus dash through them to get in their face. This doesn't work if they're full screen though.

Edit: at Valiantheart

Choke -> Ultra definently works. I've been doing it pretty consistantly. Every once in a while I fumble my input and get ex Fukiage, but that's totally my fault

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • chamberlainchamberlain Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    GG last night PS3 guys. Had a lot of fun.

Things noticed:

Adon is very fun
    Deejay cant hit confirm jab to strong for shit. No range on strong.
    THawk hits like a train
    Juri's footsies are terrible
    Juri's fireball is terrible
    Makoto is terrible

Goku needs a mic.

and question:

Can you turn off blind select in player matches? I understand their purpose in ranked but for player lobbies its kinda nice to know if somebody is going to feed you their main all day when you are just trying to learn new characters.

Why not just ask? I'd tell you who I'm picking if you asked.

Um, I wasnt directing that comment at anyone. I just know in the future, if you lack a mic, it will be difficult to just play around with some one or encourage them to play random by hovering your char select over the random '?'.

As to Adon:

I think he should be played a bit like controlled chaos. All of his specials can Focus Break and his primary poke s.rh does too. He can live in another characters mug and pick at them.

Oh good, that wasn't just me sucking. I thought it felt tougher than the Rufus equivalent.

chamberlain on
  • XehalusXehalus Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I grabbed this game (never playing SF4) and I have to say... it's the best fighter yet. The amount of adrenaline this game induces into my bloodstream is off the scale. The way effects are constantly erupting without taking away from the environment behind it (which is also amazing) has to be unmistakable perfection.

I don't mind if MVC3 is using this engine (possibly?) ... it works.

I wonder if I'm the only person using Akuma religiously? Once I have his complete anti-aerial strategy down again I should be able to deal with walljumpers like Chun-Li, Cammy, Vega, etc. There's an art to trying to maintain the original assassination style in Street Fighter.

Xehalus on
  • TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Played some ranked with Dudley and he came out with the highest win % for me in the number of matches it takes to unlock all colors and taunts thus far. I figure I will do this with most of the new characters after messing with there trials for a bit to see how the character feels in real matches.

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Fourier_seriesFourier_series Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God, why did my girlfriend choose this upcoming weekend to decide we need to go visit her family. Looks like I probably won't be fighting in the streets until next week :(

Fourier_series on
    soldierpw2.jpg
  • thepassengerthepassenger Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Xehalus wrote: »
    I grabbed this game (never playing SF4) and I have to say... it's the best fighter yet. The amount of adrenaline this game induces into my bloodstream is off the scale. The way effects are constantly erupting without taking away from the environment behind it (which is also amazing) has to be unmistakable perfection.

I don't mind if MVC3 is using this engine (possibly?) ... it works.

I wonder if I'm the only person using Akuma religiously? Once I have his complete anti-aerial strategy down again I should be able to deal with walljumpers like Chun-Li, Cammy, Vega, etc. There's an art to trying to maintain the original assassination style in Street Fighter.
    MvC3 is using the MT Frameworks engine which isn't the SF4 engine.

But yeah, the online matches for this game can be white-knuckle intense initially. I wish I can get that high again, now I'm all jaded and cynical. All those fights against Ryu and flow-chart Kens have broken me. :?

thepassenger on
    PSN: ohvermie <- ADD ME FOR STREET FIGHTING ACTION!
  • AntihippyAntihippy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Basically try to get close to them. Shut them down with a mixup of normals such as st MP, cr MP, cr. LK, cr. MK (dunno if it's still as good in ssf4) and then mix in karakusa once in awhile once you've conditioned them into not trying to mash poke.

Ways to approach are her dash, which while fast is unsafe if you do it predictably, and jump ins, with good air normals such as j. HP, j. MK and j. HK. Her command normals are more integral to her movement this time. f+MP will bring you closer and stuff alot of pokes. f+MK has a nice mixup between f+MK>karakusa or f+MK>st HK target combo. f+LK is a good approach though you'll use it more for karaing throws and her karakusa, which boost her range a good deal. Instant air tsurugi is also a great pressure tool. Don't ever, EVER, use hayate as an approach tool and spam it without comboing into it. It's mad unsafe on block, and it's not used to approach, it's used as part of a combo.

For anti-air don't rely on fukiage. Her AA normals are st MK and cr HK, and cr MK maybe (dunno how good it is in SSF4 but it was good in 3S.

After hayate hits it's time for mixups. It's pretty different from her 3S mixup game and weaker so I need to test things out first.

Need to know combos.

st MP>st MP> MP hayate
    IA tsurugi >cr MP> MP hayate
    karakusa> st HP >HP hayate
    Karakusa>st HP>ex oroshi
    cr LK> lp hayate
    karakusa> ultra 1

After crumple I'm not sure which is more efficient, the karakusa>st HP combo or the IA tsurugi combo. You can dash and land fukiage on certain characters though.

Forgetting others but this is what comes to mind right now.

Antihippy on
    10454_nujabes2.pngPSN: Antiwhippy
  • The Sneak!The Sneak! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sakura is still probably going to be lower on the tier side, but at least she received a bit of love. Having faster fireballs is nice, but it's still not going to make her an effective zoner.

I've won so many matches in ranked by being a dick and using her air hadouken ultra, with people jumping in the air thinking I'm doing a normal ground one. It's hilarious.

Makoto is... really, really different than she was in 3S. A ton of fun to play, but it's going to be a huge adjustment.

My mains will be Sakura, Makoto, Guy, and someone else.

The Sneak! on
    edited April 2010
    The Sneak! wrote: »
    Sakura is still probably going to be lower on the tier side, but at least she received a bit of love. Having faster fireballs is nice, but it's still not going to make her an effective zoner.

I've won so many matches in ranked by being a dick and using her air hadouken ultra, with people jumping in the air thinking I'm doing a normal ground one. It's hilarious.

Makoto is... really, really different than she was in 3S. A ton of fun to play, but it's going to be a huge adjustment.

My mains will be Sakura, Makoto, Guy, and someone else.

If you add in ibuki as the someone else we'd totally be playing the same characters. :lol:

Antihippy on
  • The Rocking MThe Rocking M Brisbane, AustraliaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Most of Mak's game is setting up Karakusa combo's, her bread and butter combo is Karakusa > hp > Hayate (all versions of hayate do the same damage only the EX version knocks the opponent down). As for Fukiage its good for punishing people who are zoning in on you and juggling off the end of her ultra II. Also only use the EX version of Oroshi since comes out almost instantly.

Also:
    I suggest you watch this.

The Rocking M on
  • RanadielRanadiel Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Played some rounds with the PA crew and some ranked battles. Some observations:

Juri's fireball is better than expected. It has two hit opportunities (the windup, and the pitch) both of which can absorb incoming projectiles. It doesn't go across the whole screen but it goes far enough to prevent dash-ins and careless jump-ins. The windup can also stop jump-in attempts. Juri's EX-Dive combos into her Ultra and is brutal as fuck.

Cody's got a mean cross-up and has a great pressure game, but seems to have a hard time getting in close. Aside from carefully timed jumps, he doesn't seem to have any other way to close the gap.

Ibuki is weird. Her kunai loses to every other projectile in the game, which surprised me - how are you going to make a ROCK absorb fireballs, but not a frigging kunai? Despite that she has a lot of ways to close the gap and stay in her opponent's face. Her jumps are also deceptive - they are long and floaty, but also quick. She covers a lot of distance with a standard jump.

T-Hawk is a grappler amoung grapplers. Seriously, I couldn't believe how much damage his command throws and Ultra does. But he has the least intimidating voice of any of the SF cast.

Ranadiel on
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Antihippy, you having any success with kara-karakusa? I can't for the life of me get the timing down. If I whiff one more grab after a connected hayate...

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Rubix42Rubix42 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone finish Ibuki's trials? I'm having a seriously devilish time finishing #15. I can't figure out the timing. It's back mp-->neckbreaker. back mp hits twice, and I've tried everything getting them to link. Is it the first hit, second or am I way off base?

Rubix42 on
    signature goes here
  • KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Chadwalk has seriously inspired me to try out some Cody though. I really like what he brings to the table in a match and seems like he can get into a crimupp combo pretty easily. Plus, I'm a fan of the stage music. What can I say...

Kinderparty on
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Anyone finish Ibuki's trials? I'm having a seriously devilish time finishing #15. I can't figure out the timing. It's back mp-->neckbreaker. back mp hits twice, and I've tried everything getting them to link. Is it the first hit, second or am I way off base?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O-mcjb9lke4#t=1m14s

#15 is at 1:14

Ah_Pook on
  • SeanronSeanron GlasgowRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Yush! Just picked my copyup there :) roll on 20.00 so I can get home and bust out some moves ^^

Seanron on
    PSN: Seanron - XBL: Seanron - Steam: Seanron
    edited April 2010
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Antihippy, you having any success with kara-karakusa? I can't for the life of me get the timing down. If I whiff one more grab after a connected hayate...

hmm? I thought you couldn't do that anymore in SSFIV? Not that I've ever done it in 3.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1
  • Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Barrabas wrote: »

hmm? I thought you couldn't do that anymore in SSFIV? Not that I've ever done it in 3.

No, it's definitely in, but I'm struggling with it. I'm wondering if Antihippy has any strats or tricks for doing it he'd like to share.

Hiryu02 on
    Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
    edited April 2010

RH Karakusa would grab without needing to kara if you use the HP version of hayate on most characters. Take note however that all they have to do is walk back and they'll be out of range.

Easiest input for karakarakusa that I know of is f+LK, db, b+lk/mk/hk. Visually you have to get it in just as the knee raised I think, or just do it really bloody fast.

Haven't got the game yet. Getting it tomorrow!

Antihippy on
  • TransporterTransporter Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Typically if I get then playing on the ropes, I stuff a F+LK into Karakusa. It's gets you into perfect range.

Transporter on
    edited April 2010
    You cancel after the first hit. It's usually that way with any two-hit normals.

I can't get the timing down for the LP>MK link trial for the life of me. THE TURBO DOES NOT HELP!!!! :x

thepassenger on
    edited April 2010
    So according to some people and lens of truth PS3 load times are much improved. Uninstalled even beats the 360 by 2 seconds apparently. And even if the other player is uninstalled it still loads fast?

Can anyone testify to that? because if that's the case then thank god.

Also, I hate to admit it but chaos you were totally right about 360>PS3 in boat rendering. :lol:

Antihippy on
  • FroggyPFroggyP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Basically try to get close to them. Shut them down with a mixup of normals such as st MP, cr MP, cr. LK, cr. MK (dunno if it's still as good in ssf4) and then mix in karakusa once in awhile once you've conditioned them into not trying to mash poke.

Ways to approach are her dash, which while fast is unsafe if you do it predictably, and jump ins, with good air normals such as j. HP, j. MK and j. HK. Her command normals are more integral to her movement this time. f+MP will bring you closer and stuff alot of pokes. f+MK has a nice mixup between f+MK>karakusa or f+MK>st HK target combo. f+LK is a good approach though you'll use it more for karaing throws and her karakusa, which boost her range a good deal. Instant air tsurugi is also a great pressure tool. Don't ever, EVER, use hayate as an approach tool and spam it without comboing into it. It's mad unsafe on block, and it's not used to approach, it's used as part of a combo.

For anti-air don't rely on fukiage. Her AA normals are st MK and cr HK, and cr MK maybe (dunno how good it is in SSF4 but it was good in 3S.

After hayate hits it's time for mixups. It's pretty different from her 3S mixup game and weaker so I need to test things out first.

Need to know combos.

st MP>st MP> MP hayate
    IA tsurugi >cr MP> MP hayate
    karakusa> st HP >HP hayate
    Karakusa>st HP>ex oroshi
    cr LK> lp hayate
    karakusa> ultra 1

After crumple I'm not sure which is more efficient, the karakusa>st HP combo or the IA tsurugi combo. You can dash and land fukiage on certain characters though.

Forgetting others but this is what comes to mind right now.

Her cr.MK and cr.MP are much slower then in 3rd strike. They also like they're amazing priority it seems. They're not bad persay but not what they were.
    I used her back in 3rd strike. Sure not feeling her now though. Maybe i'm just not used to a street fighter game though.

FroggyP on
    PSN: AnalogSoul
    edited April 2010
    cr. MP still is a pretty good poke, though lesser active frames make me sad. Still has a pretty big active frame time considering other things.

They buffed her st MP in a huge way though. It could even stuff jump ins and crossups now. :lol: And it beats adon's dive clean.

She's pretty different but I think she'll turn out okay.

Antihippy on
    edited April 2010
    So according to some people and lens of truth PS3 load times are much improved. Uninstalled even beats the 360 by 2 seconds apparently. And even if the other player is uninstalled it still loads fast?

Also, I hate to admit it but chaos you were totally right about 360>PS3 in boat rendering. :lol:
    If the other player isn't installed there's a "waiting for other player" screen for 2 seconds or so while they "catch up." Installed on HDD on PS3 is REALLY fast.

thepassenger on
  • KinderpartyKinderparty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    God does Guy's U2 have ANY USE AT ALL?

Kinderparty on
    edited April 2010

If the other player isn't installed there's a "waiting for other player" screen for 2 seconds or so while they "catch up." Installed on HDD on PS3 is REALLY fast.

Hell yeah.

I feel like doing a jumping high five now for some weird reason. Like not having massively stupid loading times.

Antihippy on
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Awesome Makoto tips, guys. Thanks a bunch. Can't wait to give her another try tonight.

Sounds like the Fukiage upward punch is a holdover from the more juggling-oriented SF3 that won't be as useful a move in IV?

wonderpug on
    edited April 2010
    cr. MP still is a pretty good poke, though lesser active frames make me sad. Still has a pretty big active frame time considering other things.

They buffed her st MP in a huge way though. It could even stuff jump ins and crossups now. :lol: And it beats adon's dive clean.

She's pretty different but I think she'll turn out okay.

Yeah no doubt, it's just so different! My mind can't handle change.

Hippy said don't rely on Fukiage. It has its uses though.

FroggyP on
  • Kevin CristKevin Crist I make the devil hit his knees and say the 'our father'Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

Oh good, that wasn't just me sucking. I thought it felt tougher than the Rufus equivalent.

Yeah, while I'm loving Adon, landing Ultra2 will need a lot of practice. Dosn't help that I was never good at FADCing things in regular SF4.

I want to learn Gouken for whatever reason now that I can play as him. I never bothered to unlock him before.

Kevin Crist on
    acpRlGW.jpg
    Steam: YOU FACE JARAXXUS| Twitch.tv: CainLoveless
    edited April 2010

Then CS will blow your mind. :P

I'm sticking with her though. Gonna see what makes SSF4 makoto tick.
    Sounds like the Fukiage upward punch is a holdover from the more juggling-oriented SF3 that won't be as useful a move in IV?

You can still use it sometimes to catch jump ins, seeing that her MK and HK version moves her forward a little. But only if you anticipate it, know the range, etc. etc. LK version stuffs badly timed crossups I guess.

It could still be used for U2 combos.

Antihippy on
  • shadydentistshadydentist Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

There can still use it sometimes to catch jump ins, seeing that her MK and HK version moves her forward a little. But only if you anticipate it, know the range, etc. etc.

You can still AA fukiage to fukiage, or fukiage to hayate.

shadydentist on
    Steam & GT
    steam_sig.png
    GT: Tanky the Tank
    Black: 1377 6749 7425
    edited April 2010
    Fukiage SJC nj. HP for stun and resets were a favourite of mine.

Should still work.

Fukiage > Mk tsurugi> hayate (MP,HP or EX, not sure which) also works.

Antihippy on
    edited April 2010

There can still use it sometimes to catch jump ins, seeing that her MK and HK version moves her forward a little. But only if you anticipate it, know the range, etc. etc.

I've PLAYED cs. It's not as bad when Hazama is a completely new char so you don't have an illusions. Granted Carl took some getting used to cus his dash got nerfed.

Anyways yeah I'm gonna stay with her for a bit also. Challenge is always a good thing.

FroggyP on
  • joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I think I'm going to go for the "From C to Shining C" achievement first. It didn't take long at all for me to get Cammy up to C rank, and even though she's my main from Vanilla I'm pretty sure she just got bumped down 10 places on the tier rankings in Super. I think it's time for a new main if I'm ever going to break past this plateau.

You know it has been a while since you played SF4 when you have to repeatedly punch yourself in the face to stop doing unsafe moves on wakeup.

joshofalltrades on
    edited April 2010
    At least you're not going from Nu to lambda. She's almost like a new character.

It does help that she's alot more fun than Nu though.

Antihippy on
    edited April 2010
    My bookmarks are going to be filled with single posts about Makoto for me to try things when I get home.

Barrabas on
    XBL - ErrorMacro1