As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Golf. [Now with useful info]

1235»

• Options
    ButtersButters A glass of some milks Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah I can understand that but I was thinking of getting new clubs this year and if I get them by then I am gonna bring them. If not I'll rent too.

Still, golfing.

Butters on
    PSN: idontworkhere582 | CFN: idontworkhere | Steam: lordbutters | Amazon Wishlist
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'm hoping to get my new clubs out to the range for the first time this weekend. I'm not sure if it'll be more entertaining for me or everyone else at the range watching me awkwardly hacking away.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    RageRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I got to spend 6 days in the high Oregon desert playing golf. I played Eagle Crest Ridge, Eagle Crest Resort, Challenge 18 and Sun River.

Absolutely. Stunning.

126 holes played, and almost 38 miles walked.

The golf tan is epic.

Rage on
  • Options
    TheCanManTheCanMan GT: Gasman122009 JerseyRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So after a couple visits to the driving range I have a couple observations.

Oddly, my irons seem to pair up distance wise. Both my wedges (P & G) go ~75yds; 8 & 9 irons are ~100yds; 6 & 7 irons are ~125yds.

Unfortunately, so far my 4 & 5 irons are garbage. They both reach slightly farther than 125yds, but I'm inconsistent with them.

I'm in love with my 3-wood. I'm at about 200yds fairly straight and (relatively) consistently. Which makes my driver all that more aggravating. I don't understand how I can be so happy with my 3W, and so disappointed in my driver. I'm wildly inconsistent with it (probably my least consistent club; generally I push with it).

But the one thing still keeping me from getting out on an actual coarse (and it's something that'll just take more practice I guess) is that the first handful of swings with any particular club are just awful. It'll take me a few tries to (relatively speaking) dial in my address and swing with that particular club. Which doesn't exactly seem like it'll play out very well for me on a course.

TheCanMan on
  • Options
    PaPaPaPa Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    TheCanMan wrote: »
    I'm in love with my 3-wood. I'm at about 200yds fairly straight and (relatively) consistently. Which makes my driver all that more aggravating. I don't understand how I can be so happy with my 3W, and so disappointed in my driver. I'm wildly inconsistent with it (probably my least consistent club; generally I push with it).
    I think most people struggle with the driver at first. I always use my 3W, even if I'm on teeing off on a par 5, because I know my driver a) won't go as far and b) will probably go somewhere crazy. I just need to practice with it a lot more, and probably so do you.
    But the one thing still keeping me from getting out on an actual coarse (and it's something that'll just take more practice I guess) is that the first handful of swings with any particular club are just awful. It'll take me a few tries to (relatively speaking) dial in my address and swing with that particular club. Which doesn't exactly seem like it'll play out very well for me on a course.
    This is what practice swings are for. As long as you're not sitting there half an hour or some shit, no one is going to give you shit about taking one or two swings before addressing the ball, and it can really help you get the feel right.

PaPa on
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    You can take practice swings while other people in your group are setting up and hitting, so it's not a huge issue. And you're frequently waiting on the group ahead of you anyway.

SageinaRage on
    sig.gif