As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Bungie signs 10 year deal with Activision - Next Bungie Game Coming to All Platforms

• Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited April 2010
    Yes, Halo is owned 101% by Microsoft and Microsoft alone.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    OhtsamOhtsam Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Activision isn't publishing Reach?

Microsoft is.

Ohtsam on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    Verflutche wrote: »
    Bungie Wii title?

Wow. I can't image how odd that'd feel to play...

It will feel exactly like every other rail shooter/half-assed downgraded version of every game that goes to every platform feels. Ugh.

I'd love to see Bungie DEVELOP a Wii game, but my guess is Bungie is making a game for the 360/PS3 and Activision is going to cram it into every console it can with as much tender love and care as they're known for.

This assumes their next project is a shooter.

I'm going to take a leap of faith here and say it's not going to be a shooter

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    AlegisAlegis Impeckable Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    mxmarks wrote: »
    My guess is Bungie is making a game for the 360/PS3 and Activision is going to cram it into every console it can with as much tender love and care as they're known for.

quantum-of-solace-20081031023758538_640w.jpg

Alegis on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cantido wrote: »
    I wish they'd make a new Myth game. Their RTS offerings were always more fun to me than their FPS stuff.

Activision has a problem with anything being anything related to an RTS.

Hmmm I wonder what that link could be...

It couldn't be about the best SRPG of all time, could it?

:P

Rent on
  • Options
    RentRent I'm always right Fuckin' deal with itRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    Activision just confirmed that Bungie's next game is coming to "all platforms". So, 360/PS3/Wii/PC/Mac/iPhone/Toaster Bungie title incoming, yo

fixed

Rent on
  • Options
    DarlanDarlan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Rent wrote: »
    Activision just confirmed that Bungie's next game is coming to "all platforms". So, 360/PS3/Wii/PC/Mac/iPhone/Toaster Bungie title incoming, yo

fixed
    Maybe not just those, actually. I wonder if development has started on PS4-era games, not to mention 3DS and maybe PSP2 in the pipe as well.

Darlan on
  • Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Putting aside the fact that businesses are soulless bottom-line focused entities, this announcement really blew my hair back. I can't conceive of any developer, let alone one that touts its community-based nature as much as Bungie, wanting an entity like Activision to succeed in any way. I'm surprised Blizzard hasn't come out and said, "Yeeeeaahh, we think we're gonna head out. Pretty sure the WoW money will get us through the inevitable lawsuit."

Just weird and unsettling.

Ceno on
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I wish they'd make a new Myth game. Their RTS offerings were always more fun to me than their FPS stuff.

And that Take-Two still owns the rights to it...

...Now, if Activision announces they're buying out Take-Two, and gets Bungie the rights to it and Oni back, I would be all for this. :mrgreen:

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    PMAvers wrote: »

...Now, if Activision announces they're buying out Take-Two, and gets Bungie the rights to it and Myth back, I would be all for this. :mrgreen:

I know we'll probably never see another Myth game. Ever.

I'm so full of hate.

Drake on
  • Options
    cloudeaglecloudeagle Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'd be willing to bet this announcement was originally scheduled for E3, but was bumped up for some reason.

As I said in the industry thread, Activision's probably the only company big enough to afford Bungie and willing to take the risk in the still-shaky economy. Not to mention that these deals take time and are often finalized long before they're revealed, so it's very possible this was inked well before IW turned into a full-blown debacle.

Also the deal fits into Activision's policy of only publishing games they can exploit the shit out of. I mean, 10 years for a single IP? Yeesh.

cloudeagle on
    Switch: 3947-4890-9293
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, from Activision's side, a year based deal is better than a # of games deal. At the pace of development, this means about 3 Bungie games. If they had just said "3 games", then from Activision's POV, Bungie could just get out of the contract by pushing out 3 games over 3 years and the deal would already be over.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Well, from Activision's side, a year based deal is better than a # of games deal. At the pace of development, this means about 3 Bungie games. If they had just said "3 games", then from Activision's POV, Bungie could just get out of the contract by pushing out 3 games over 3 years and the deal would already be over.

The genius of this deal (from Activision's POV) is that it covers an IP, not a game. So in addition to the core FPS, we could get a RTS, a third-person shooter, a spaceship sim, a platformer, a match-three game, a dating sim, etc. etc. etc. Not to mention Bungie's been speeding up their development with the Halo spinoffs.

Hm. Does this deal stipulate that all games in this universe MUST be made by Bungie, or can Activision get a bunch of their other studios to make related crap?

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Since Bungie retains the IP, I guess they would have to sign off on any Activision developed offshoots.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    So is the Bungie forums freaking out?

Or is the hive mind pleased.

Cade on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Calling it:

Gnop 2010.
    Gnop 2: Gnop Harder
    Gnop Hero 3

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Obviously it's Pimps at Sea.

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    CadeCade Eppur si muove.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You mean:

Pimps at Sea
    Pimps at Sea 2: Pimping Ain't Easy
    Pimps at Sea 3: Ho Train
    Pimps at Sea: Modern Pimpage
    PImps at Sea: Pimp Hero

Cade on
  • Options
    Waka LakaWaka Laka Riding the stuffed Unicorn If ya know what I mean.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Ha ha... very funny, April fools was a few weeks ag...

...oh.

...OH.

Waka Laka on
  • Options
    UEAKCrashUEAKCrash heh Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Pimps at Sea X: The Pimpening

UEAKCrash on
  • Options
    BlurblBlurbl -_- Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    [Tin Foil Hat]

Isn't it obvious? Bungie has been in talks with Activision for a while, and shortly before they announce the partnership, IW, Bungie's biggest competitor, is desolved. Open your eyes, people!

[/Tin Foil Hat]

Blurbl on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Drake wrote: »

...Now, if Activision announces they're buying out Take-Two, and gets Bungie the rights to it and Myth back, I would be all for this. :mrgreen:

I'm so full of hate.

But I bet we'll see another RTS from Bungie at some point. A Bungie RTS doesn't have to be about dudes who cut off their own face. As long as it has explosives and body parts flying all over the place, it's gonna be a good game.

Myth is still owned by Take Two, I imagine Take Two would be willing to sell it if Bungie made an offer but that doesn't seem to be the sort of thing Bungie would do.. they have a long history of cutting and running, they always got their eyes on the future.

Point being, when they do go back to RTS, it's gonna make Myth seem like a crusty old pile of poo.

xzzy on
  • Options
    -SPI--SPI- Osaka, JapanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Calling it:

Gnop 2010.
    Gnop Hero 3

Next gen Minotaur sequel.

-SPI- on
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    How long until Bungie is forced to start making Guitar Hero games? I give it 6 years.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    xzzy wrote: »

I'm so full of hate.

But I bet we'll see another RTS from Bungie at some point. A Bungie RTS doesn't have to be about dudes who cut off their own face. As long as it has explosives and body parts flying all over the place, it's gonna be a good game.

Myth is still owned by Take Two, I imagine Take Two would be willing to sell it if Bungie made an offer but that doesn't seem to be the sort of thing Bungie would do.. they have a long history of cutting and running, they always got their eyes on the future.

Point being, when they do go back to RTS, it's gonna make Myth seem like a crusty old pile of poo.

I can live with that. It's just a sign of my age that I like to put on the rose colored glasses and get all ornery about it.

Hell, they may even manage to make base building and RTS econ models fun. That would be really neat.

edit: And while I'm not ruling out a return to RTS gameplay, I'll bet they hit something that they haven't really done before. Like a 3D action/platformer or something. I'd love to see Bungie's take on a Metroidvania style game. With their world building skills that shit could be crazy immersive.

Drake on
  • Options
    Spicy_RevSpicy_Rev Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    You know, I am actually pretty excited about this, although I am skeptical of Activision myself.

I only have a PS3, and I think whatever product they develop has the potential to be a huge multi-platform success. Maybe not COW big, but big.

I take that back, it probably could be COW big. Those guys just make good games.

Spicy_Rev on
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Activision is killing the gaming industry.

This is only mildly sarcastic

Dsmart on
  • Options
    DsmartDsmart Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Yeah, I'm wondering if Activision actually owns the new IP or if they just have exclusive publishing rights to any game they put out for the next 10 years, but Bungie retains the IP.

Which at the pace that Bungie makes games, covers about 3 games.
    Under the terms of the agreement, Activision will have exclusive, worldwide rights to publish and distribute all future Bungie games based on the new intellectual property on multiple platforms and devices. Bungie remains an independent company and will continue to own their intellectual property.
    Sounds pretty clear Bungie keeps it all, Acti just gets the exclusive rights on that particular IP for 10 years.

what does this mean exactly? Do you think that a multi-billion dollar publisher cannot exert crushing pressure on your game-studio, however large and popular and talented? Even Blizzard has felt the taint

Dsmart on
  • Options
    xzzyxzzy Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Dsmart wrote: »
    what does this mean exactly? Do you think that a multi-billion dollar publisher cannot exert crushing pressure on your game-studio, however large and popular and talented? Even Blizzard has felt the taint

Uh, Bungie survived Microsoft. Activision is small potatoes by comparison.

I think Bungie will do okay.

xzzy on
  • Options
    Duchess ProzacDuchess Prozac Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    xzzy wrote: »
    Dsmart wrote: »

Uh, Bungie survived Microsoft. Activision is small potatoes by comparison.

I think Bungie will do okay.

So that rts game called Halo Bungie released for PC did really well didn't it?

Not saying where it ended up going was bad but, I'm pretty sure MS had a hand in the change in direction and platform for the game.

I'm pretty sure Activision will find someway of screwing Bungie over here.

I can't believe Bungie sold their souls to the devil like this. WTF were they thinking?

Duchess Prozac on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010

I'm so full of hate.

I would have no problem putting Myth and Myth 2 on my top 10 favorite games of all time list. It's aged wonderfully too. I played Myth 2 last year, and it's just as amazing as it ever was to me. Imagine my disappointment when they movied to Microsoft and switched Halo from an RTS to a FPS.

I'm so bitter that there hasn't been another Myth game. I'm also a bit surprised that there haven't been any games from other companies like Myth. They all go for base building, or some form of economy style gameplay.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    TheUnsane1TheUnsane1 PhiladelphiaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Man Bungie/Blizzard under the same umbrella is a pretty powerhouse combo. As far as I am concerned the two companies are the absolute kings of online game matchmaking (I still say War3 must have been an influence to Bungies set up for halo mm.)

TheUnsane1 on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Guys. The switch from RTS to FPS happened long before MS acquired Bungie. Hell, I think it happened before they even confirmed that there was going to be a Windows version. That's right, Halo was originally being developed for the Mac.

Drake on
  • Options
    LewiePLewieP Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    It's a terrible state of affairs that moving from Microsoft as a publisher to Activision increases the chances of Bungie making PC games.

LewieP on
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    At least it's only a year. I have little doubt Activision will be on its best bestest behavior for that year to try and convince Bungie to stay on longer. Crossing my fingers that Bungie is doing this solely to gain experience with multi-platform development so they can strike out on their own.

However, Bungie has been under Microsoft's wing for so long that I think Bungie really has no idea just how horrible Activision is for any studio which might want to make something besides heartless sequel after sequel.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    At least it's only a year.

Um, it's 10 years.

cloudeagle on
  • Options
    MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    No one's asking the *real* questions here:

Does this give Bungie the capability to bring in ringers and rematch Penny Arcade in ping pong? How badly will Khoo decimate them?

Mugsley on
  • Options
    DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Guys. The switch from RTS to FPS happened long before MS acquired Bungie. Hell, I think it happened before they even confirmed that there was going to be a Windows version. That's right, Halo was originally being developed for the Mac.

According to wikipedia, it was switched from an RTS to a 3rd person action/adventure before the microsoft purchase, but to an FPS after the microsoft purchase: "After receiving Xbox development kits, Bungie Studios rewrote the game's engine, heavily altered its presentation, and turned it into a first-person shooter. "

So we're both wrong.

Either way, I still miss the Myth series.

Dissociater on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    -SPI- wrote: »
    Calling it:

Gnop 2010.
    Gnop Hero 3

Next gen Minotaur sequel.

I'd play it. Probably would make a good XBLA-style game. Co-op/competitive dungeon crawling death-match?

Heck yeah.

PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg