Options

StarCraft II: Thread of Liberty

13468964

Posts

  • Options
    BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    so what's the deal with this gamestop beta key

    24 hour delay or what

    it's tomorrow already

    i want to inject convict warriors with illegal drugs to make them fight murderous aliens

    Backwardsname on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I pre-ordered yesterday and got my key within four hours.

    Unfortunately, I can't get the blizzard downloader to work.

    Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    I pre-ordered yesterday and got my key within four hours.

    Unfortunately, I can't get the blizzard downloader to work.

    fucks

    well what the eff

    what do I do now

    Backwardsname on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    I pre-ordered yesterday and got my key within four hours.

    Unfortunately, I can't get the blizzard downloader to work.

    fucks

    well what the eff

    what do I do now

    Wait for Monday like the patient, patient man you are.

    Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    I pre-ordered yesterday and got my key within four hours.

    Unfortunately, I can't get the blizzard downloader to work.

    fucks

    well what the eff

    what do I do now

    Wait for Monday like the patient, patient man you are.

    are you kidding they don't send it over the weekend

    what

    Backwardsname on
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Baidol wrote: »
    Baidol wrote: »
    I pre-ordered yesterday and got my key within four hours.

    Unfortunately, I can't get the blizzard downloader to work.

    fucks

    well what the eff

    what do I do now

    Wait for Monday like the patient, patient man you are.

    are you kidding they don't send it over the weekend

    what

    Man, I don't know, but freaking out about it ain't going to get it to you faster.

    Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    I am so bad at wall-ins on Blistering Sands and the maps like Kulas Ravine where there is no ramp at the main

    Do you have the build grid turned on in the options? I find it helps as terran.

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    when i lose to so-called cheese strategies I do get pretty angry

    but I get angry at myself for failing to notice. every cheese strategy has obvious signs, and even if you can't figure out exactly what they're doing, you should be able to see that they're doing SOMETHING wacky and redouble your efforts to find out what.

    Dhalphir on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    when i lose to so-called cheese strategies I do get pretty angry

    but I get angry at myself for failing to notice. every cheese strategy has obvious signs, and even if you can't figure out exactly what they're doing, you should be able to see that they're doing SOMETHING wacky and redouble your efforts to find out what.

    One thing about cheese is it's really easy to go through the replay and see what you could have done to prevent it and adjust your play style accordingly.

    You also need to get your scouting and building placements down pat to prevent a lot of cheese.

    If you place your buildings right, one marine can fight off a six pool on most maps with a small choke.

    And if you scout well enough, you can easily predict if a protoss player has proxied.

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    Munkus BeaverMunkus Beaver You don't have to attend every argument you are invited to. Philosophy: Stoicism. Politics: Democratic SocialistRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    As7 wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    when i lose to so-called cheese strategies I do get pretty angry

    but I get angry at myself for failing to notice. every cheese strategy has obvious signs, and even if you can't figure out exactly what they're doing, you should be able to see that they're doing SOMETHING wacky and redouble your efforts to find out what.

    One thing about cheese is it's really easy to go through the replay and see what you could have done to prevent it and adjust your play style accordingly.

    You also need to get your scouting and building placements down pat to prevent a lot of cheese.

    If you place your buildings right, one marine can fight off a six pool on most maps with a small choke.

    And if you scout well enough, you can easily predict if a protoss player has proxied.

    Which is why I love to proxy on 4 player maps against zerg opponents.

    They don't see it coming.

    Munkus Beaver on
    Humor can be dissected as a frog can, but dies in the process.
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As7 wrote: »
    Dhalphir wrote: »
    when i lose to so-called cheese strategies I do get pretty angry

    but I get angry at myself for failing to notice. every cheese strategy has obvious signs, and even if you can't figure out exactly what they're doing, you should be able to see that they're doing SOMETHING wacky and redouble your efforts to find out what.

    One thing about cheese is it's really easy to go through the replay and see what you could have done to prevent it and adjust your play style accordingly.

    You also need to get your scouting and building placements down pat to prevent a lot of cheese.

    If you place your buildings right, one marine can fight off a six pool on most maps with a small choke.

    And if you scout well enough, you can easily predict if a protoss player has proxied.

    Which is why I love to proxy on 4 player maps against zerg opponents.

    They don't see it coming.
    It's entirely too easy to absolutely destroy zerg players right away as protoss. Especially if there's two of you.

    Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    4 player maps played as 1v1 are great times to void ray rush or proxy in some way.

    there's no way to find the proxy, best you can hope for is to notice something's wack with their base, and take a correct guess as to what they're doing.

    you gotta scout pretty early though...most of the time I block my ramp with my first pylon and gateway leaving a small choke which I put a probe in, then a zealot once the gateway finishes.

    Dhalphir on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I try to go for the throat early on in 4 player maps as soon as I'm able. That huge one pisses me off something awful.

    Hacksaw on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The best thing about 4 player map 1v1s

    is that nobody ever, ever checks the high yield.


    ever.

    sarukun on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sarukun wrote: »
    The best thing about 4 player map 1v1s

    is that nobody ever, ever checks the high yield.


    ever.
    I try to kill my opponent before the game progresses that far. I hate checking down there.

    Hacksaw on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    okay so from my very limited half hour of play last night, I can't help but feel that not a lot has changed from the first game. and while I'm sure many people in Korea are happy about that, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

    I loved SC and WC3 to death, but this doesn't feel like a new experience yet. I'm still going to play, and I never got a chance to use many new units, or even play as protoss or zerg, but I have reservations.

    I might also be bitter because my computer is a piece of crap. And, I liked SCV's better when they sounded too scared to do anything!

    rarg rarg rarg rarg

    Meissnerd on
  • Options
    MeissnerdMeissnerd Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the terran scouting towers are badass as hell, though

    Meissnerd on
  • Options
    As7As7 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    the terran scouting towers are badass as hell, though

    They are, but keep in mind that the 100 gas they cost is spendy early on and that the enemy can see exactly what area they cover. Not a good idea to build one on a secret expansion, for instance.

    As7 on
    XBOX Live: Arsenic7
    Secret Satan
  • Options
    FrylockHolmesFrylockHolmes Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    gold league 1v1! that last placement match was tense, steppes of war ZvZ and my opponent would just not stop rushing me

    FrylockHolmes on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    The best thing about 4 player map 1v1s

    is that nobody ever, ever checks the high yield.


    ever.
    I try to kill my opponent before the game progresses that far. I hate checking down there.

    If you don't kill me in the initial rush, you better check that high yield. All it takes is an extra 150-200 minerals and you'll never get ahead of me.

    sarukun on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Meissnerd wrote: »
    okay so from my very limited half hour of play last night, I can't help but feel that not a lot has changed from the first game. and while I'm sure many people in Korea are happy about that, I'm not sure how I feel about it.

    I loved SC and WC3 to death, but this doesn't feel like a new experience yet. I'm still going to play, and I never got a chance to use many new units, or even play as protoss or zerg, but I have reservations.

    I might also be bitter because my computer is a piece of crap. And, I liked SCV's better when they sounded too scared to do anything!

    rarg rarg rarg rarg

    The "feel" of the game is bout the same.


    The actual "how to play" is completely different.

    sarukun on
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a decent understanding of the races and their units

    but I just don't know how to begin achieving a knowledge of strategies

    animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a decent understanding of the races and their units

    but I just don't know how to begin achieving a knowledge of strategies

    Watch other people, and learn which units work well against which units.

    Once you understand the rock-paper-scissors of individual units, things like build orders make themselves.

    "Okay, if I'm going to have these in time to counter this, I need to be building these things and have these resources at this time."

    And of course, you cannot know what to build if you do not scout.

    sarukun on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I have a decent understanding of the races and their units

    but I just don't know how to begin achieving a knowledge of strategies

    Watch YouTube videos (HDStarcraft, HuskyStarcraft, SC2GGRise)

    Or live Streams (especially the ones with commentary), teamliquid.net has a list of streams under "SC2 Beta"

    You'll pick up stuff like Reaper rushes, or fast expand, etc. etc.

    Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the most important thing in starcraft SPEND YOUR RESOURCES, do not let them build up!

    and you shouldn't do this by queing stuff up. Queued units are money that could be spend elsewhere right now

    Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    and if your production buildings are all building a unit (no queued units), and you're still stockpiling resources, either lay down more production facilities, or, if your resources are stockpiled but not increasing (ie, you're spenidng as much as you're bringing in) spend some of your stockpile to expand.

    Basically there is rarely a reason to ever have more than 500 minerals or so at one time, and some X amount of gas that i dont know what it is.

    Dhalphir on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sarukun wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    The best thing about 4 player map 1v1s

    is that nobody ever, ever checks the high yield.


    ever.
    I try to kill my opponent before the game progresses that far. I hate checking down there.

    If you don't kill me in the initial rush, you better check that high yield. All it takes is an extra 150-200 minerals and you'll never get ahead of me.
    I'm going to put a Orbital Fortress on both just to spite you.

    Hacksaw on
  • Options
    BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    fart fart fart

    gamestop says they don't have any keys left for online

    have to wait until next week to get a key

    Backwardsname on
  • Options
    TskTsk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's alright to have unspent resources if you have double the income of your enemies.

    At least this is what I tell myself because I haven't learned all the shortcuts to build while microing.

    Tsk on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    the most important thing in starcraft SPEND YOUR RESOURCES, do not let them build up!

    and you shouldn't do this by queing stuff up. Queued units are money that could be spend elsewhere right now

    Correct.

    sarukun on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    sarukun wrote: »
    The best thing about 4 player map 1v1s

    is that nobody ever, ever checks the high yield.


    ever.
    I try to kill my opponent before the game progresses that far. I hate checking down there.

    If you don't kill me in the initial rush, you better check that high yield. All it takes is an extra 150-200 minerals and you'll never get ahead of me.
    I'm going to put a Orbital Fortress on both just to spite you.

    Not without an expansion you won't.

    sarukun on
  • Options
    LemmingLemming Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    sarukun wrote: »
    the most important thing in starcraft SPEND YOUR RESOURCES, do not let them build up!

    and you shouldn't do this by queing stuff up. Queued units are money that could be spend elsewhere right now

    Correct.

    Also make more workers. If you don't have any money you should be spending you will lose.

    Those are the two biggest things I tell newbies. Spend your money, make more workers. If you do that you'll beat pretty much everyone in copper and bronze at least even if you have the worst timing and unit composition in the world.

    Lemming on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    I don't understand people that don't check the high yields

    like hack says he hates checking there

    wha?

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    I don't understand people that don't check the high yields

    like hack says he hates checking there

    wha?
    Like I also said: I try to end the game before it comes to that point.

    Hacksaw on
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    I don't understand people that don't check the high yields

    like hack says he hates checking there

    wha?
    Like I also said: I try to end the game before it comes to that point.

    that still doesn't explain why you hate something as simple and fundamental as checking the high yields for an expansion

    I mean, send a probe there or at least a flying unit once you have them

    I also sometimes like to build on the vents at the high yields

    Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    I don't understand people that don't check the high yields

    like hack says he hates checking there

    wha?
    Like I also said: I try to end the game before it comes to that point.

    If I am zerg, you had better check that high yield.

    I usually have 300 minerals by the time my queen is coming out, and no tech or larvae to spend it on.

    sarukun on
  • Options
    HacksawHacksaw J. Duggan Esq. Wrestler at LawRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    that still doesn't explain why you hate something as simple and fundamental as checking the high yields for an expansion
    I don't like to waste time searching for expos while I'm rolling up on an enemy's base.

    Besides which, chances are they haven't even gotten that far by the time I come knocking.

    Hacksaw on
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    on kulas i expand to high yield on my 16th drone...

    TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hacksaw wrote: »
    Druhim wrote: »
    that still doesn't explain why you hate something as simple and fundamental as checking the high yields for an expansion
    I don't like to waste time searching for expos while I'm rolling up on an enemy's base.

    Besides which, chances are they haven't even gotten that far by the time I come knocking.

    Look, man, sending one unit and seperating him from a control group is easy as pie.

    I have literally come back to win games where my man base was destroyed thanks to expanding early: I had the resources to rebuild quickly, a steady stream of income, and by the tie they realized the game wasn't over, a superior force with a beefier economy thanks to those golden minerals.

    You don't have to check for expansions if you ain't wanna, but that's what everyone means when they say "scout-scout-scout".

    Edit: Heh, man base.

    sarukun on
  • Options
    sarukunsarukun RIESLING OCEANRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    on kulas i expand to high yield on my 16th drone...

    (b'.')b

    Speaking of which, who wants to play?

    sarukun on
This discussion has been closed.