As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

StarCraft II: Thread of Liberty

• Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    this goddamn livestream keeps cutting

wanna watch dis craftcup

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I find it amusing how many for pay prize tournaments there are for a game still in beta

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    BaidolBaidol I will hold him off Escape while you canRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is there a penny-arcade chat channel or something where I can try to set up games against some of you so I can be crushed and learn?

Baidol on
    Steam Overwatch: Baidol#1957
  • Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    TheStig wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I love reading stuff about Starcraft and pretending that it's chess instead.

I don't know why people always make the chess comparison. It's not like you have to be some amazing genius to play it.

you don't have to be an amazing genius to play chess either

that's what i meant.

It's like ohhhh it's like chess, that game only idiot savants can play because it's so complex.

uh, I think you're completely missing the point about chess
    anyone who understands chess at all realizes that anyone can play it because the rules are fairly simple

but there's a vast difference between someone who understands the basic rules of the game and can technically play it within the rules, and someone who excels at the game

in the same way, starcraft isn't inherently complicated and anyone can play it
    but playing it very well is a completely different matter

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    satansfingerssatansfingers Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i'm trying to learn how to be better at this, and i am getting better at openings, but as soon as a fight happens it just all goes to shit

suddenly i have like 1500 minerals and no troops because i got distracted and forgot to keep making stuff

satansfingers on
  • Options
    Beef AvengerBeef Avenger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That's why it's so important to figure out hotkeys and grouping your production facilities. So that you can keep production up while focusing on the battlefield

It's surprisingly difficult to master despite knowing exactly what you have to do

Beef Avenger on
    Steam ID
    PSN: Robo_Wizard1
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ok I finally got patched up and dang the starting screen is pretty.

I wish there was a single player beta as well :(

But anyway I'll be on later tonight and try it out.

Langly on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Langly.seplusplus

is my battle.net tag

oh and US

Langly on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just got the beta working. Iso.isoldae US is my name if anyone wants to have an easy opponent or show me how this is done.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    BackwardsnameBackwardsname __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    so those people who say you should only use Orbital Command energy on MULEs?

Those people are fucking stupid

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Well, I mean if you still are not very good and just working on getting better at macro, then sure, only use it on MULEs.

But around top of silver/bottom of gold league scans start becoming really useful

twice now I've had a toss go Colossus against me, which is like, what? Against terran? Really? But the first time I was totally unprepared because my scout died long before the robo bay went down and I was caught unaware and with an entirely ground army. Got murdered.

Second time, I scanned, saw the robo-bay, tech-switched to vikings and medivacs and murdered the shit out of him.

Final units lost tally was about 1700 resources (me) to 5500 resources (him). Losing four colossi in 30 seconds hurts like a bitch.

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    UbikUbik oh pete, that's later. maybe we'll be dead by then Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ubik wrote: »
    BYToady wrote: »
    Apparently your macro should have included some detectors and air units.

I was going by
    The most important thing in any economy-drive RTS is macro. Making "a lot of shit" can get you to platinum by itself.

For your next 20 games: Ignore timing. Ignore scouting. Ignore countering what he's doing. Ignore map control. Focus on getting a tight build that maximizes your economy and keep your minerals low at all times. Never miss a MULE calldown. Never miss a production round. Never miss a Supply Depot. Never make any building too late or too early. Never miss making a single SCV. Don't take your gas too early or too late. Then take your monstrous army, attack-move it somewhere, and keep making stuff. Don't even look at your army. Seriously.

Play 20 games like this and post the results. You should see vast improvement. Then you can move on to step 2.

I never got to the "monstrous army" part because 3 DTs killed my whole base when I didn't have scan because I used it all on MULEs

Why would I tech up to detectors or reinforce my wall with bunkers when I'm ignoring what he's doing

I'm just saying, this advice has not really helped me in any way because the games are over too fast for it to teach me anything

I understand that macro is important but this is not really a good way to learn macro in my experience

er, ubik, how long do you wait to attack? Like, what supply did you get to?

Because I wholeheartedly endorse this guy's method for learning, and I usually wreck a protoss player long before they get DTs.

I endorse it too, mostly because you shouldn't rely on scouting alone to prepare you for cloaked units, air attacks, or any sort of cheese. There are certain points in the game where you just need to have detection and AA, because tech switches can happen fast, and people can hide buildings and shit.

If you focus on macro alone you will develop that solid base of play that you can later tweak depending on the other styles of play you want to work on.

He teched straight to DTs. Didn't build any other unit besides probes until 3 DTs hit my base at 7:47 game time

At that point I had 12 marines and 4 Marauders, not really the "monstrous army" I was going to attack-move with going by that method above

My Engineering Bay and turrets were the next things to go down, but like I said, they would have been way earlier if I had scouted

Ubik on
    l8e1peic77w3.jpg

• Options
    DruhimDruhim Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited May 2010
    so those people who say you should only use Orbital Command energy on MULEs?

Those people are fucking stupid

until you scan his base and repeatedly miss the fact that he either built 3 starports just out of range of your scan, or at an expansion

I've never claimed you should never scan, but scanning should not be a replacement for scouting

you're losing so many minerals and you just don't have the energy to be randomly scanning everywhere he might have an xp instead of just sending a worker

scanning has its uses, but too many terran players lean on it as a crutch

Druhim on
    belruelotterav-1.jpg
  • Options
    MvrckMvrck Dwarven MountainhomeRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Scanning is useful when you have 3 Orbital commands and more spare energy than you can shake a stick at.

And even then it's pretty much just "Is he at this expo location?" or "Oh shit banshee's cloaked above my army." Anything less than 2 orbitals and a Rax or SCV will be a better investement.

Mvrck on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    maaaaan

who wants to play this

Langly on
  • Options
    IsoldaeIsoldae Hats Off To JigglypuffRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I'll play with you Langly.

Isoldae on
    xet8c.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am so bad at this, but it is lots of fun.

Langly on
  • Options
    animal companionanimal companion xenomortis Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Langly wrote: »
    I am so bad at this, but it is lots of fun.

I am sorry I had to kill you

animal companion on
    VdxNI.jpg
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Druhim wrote: »
    NotACrook wrote: »
    I love reading stuff about Starcraft and pretending that it's chess instead.

I don't know why people always make the chess comparison. It's not like you have to be some amazing genius to play it.

you don't have to be an amazing genius to play chess either

that's what i meant.

It's like ohhhh it's like chess, that game only idiot savants can play because it's so complex.

uh, I think you're completely missing the point about chess
    anyone who understands chess at all realizes that anyone can play it because the rules are fairly simple

but there's a vast difference between someone who understands the basic rules of the game and can technically play it within the rules, and someone who excels at the game

in the same way, starcraft isn't inherently complicated and anyone can play it
    but playing it very well is a completely different matter

Yeah i know you understand that, but whenever i see the X RTS = chess argument, it is as I described.

Ubik: my non-aggressive builds have AA and detectors at 7:00 for that very reason

In the case of terran I'd say around 7min you need to have energy for a scan and at least an eng bay up. If you notice your wall is oddly losing health, or if a shuttle is dropping off things like look like a blurry predator in your base, scan that shit. and tower up asap.

edit: really in the case of the DT rush this is what scouting would have gotten you.
    your SCV arrives in their base, you see a gateway and then a cyber core. Your SCV dies to a stalker. This could mean one of 8 billion things.
    You later send a small force to see what's up. The ramp is forcefielded, you see nothing.
    You scan the enemy base, you notice fewer units than normal at his ramp, unfortunately you can't use another scan to look deeper into his base.
    DTs arrive in your base. Whoops, you spent your scan on looking at his base.

TheStig on
    bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I am just really slow about building up forces, and upgrading, and expanding.

so really just slow all around.

Langly on
  • Options
    LordaenLordaen Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love playing against people that don't wall off in 2v2! Especially when neither player is walled off and I can just run past their forces to each others base to harass the mineral line.

Lordaen on
  • Options
    scarlet st.scarlet st. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ugh I didn't play for like two days and my rank dropped to 50. copper ranks are so liquid it's ridiculous. I need to get back into bronze.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Ugh I didn't play for like two days and my rank dropped to 50. copper ranks are so liquid it's ridiculous. I need to get back into bronze.

I climbed up 30 ranks in like an hour and a half yesterday morning :P

TheStig on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I may or may not be downloading the beta right now

never really played the first one because it didn't work on my computer and back then I was too dumb to fix things on the computer

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

yeah i'll prob work on that tonight. must crawl back into a real ladder. because seriously, copper is ridiculous.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010

yeah i'll prob work on that tonight. must crawl back into a real ladder. because seriously, copper is ridiculous.

Ah i know what you mean. Dropping a division then seeing some of the stupid stuff people try to do, it's like the benny hill music should be playing on repeat.

TheStig on
  • Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I hate when I have what I think is a good win, and then I look at the replay and see that the guy really wasn't playing very well.

Kwoaru on
    2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Argh. Last night I was playing really well, climbed from rank 59 in my Platinum division to rank 36, all matches where my opponent was Favoured against me, then I played two even matches in a row, lost both and dropped back to rank 54.

Zzzzzzzz.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Kwoaru wrote: »
    I hate when I have what I think is a good win, and then I look at the replay and see that the guy really wasn't playing very well.

Hah! I had what I thought was a good win due to some expert play on my part. I looked back at the replay and I was doing some stupid stuff, like never building more than 15 drones until the very end.

I only won because it was ZvP and I did the 14 expand, so the protoss responds with the all out zlot aggression, which is basically playing into my hand. If he had responded better I would have been toast.

TheStig on
  • Options
    Sara LynnSara Lynn I can handle myself. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    what do the names mean

which one matters

I'm confused

Sara Lynn on
  • Options
    DhalphirDhalphir don't you open that trapdoor you're a fool if you dareRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sara Lynn wrote: »
    what do the names mean

which one matters

I'm confused

you mean the id where you have

name.name?

The first one is the one that you will see most of the time in your games. It does not have to be unique.

the second one does have to be unique, and will not be seen unless you have two people in the same game with the same first name.

Dhalphir on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    which was pretty clever

Langly on
  • Options
    Lord DaveLord Dave Grief Causer Bitch Free ZoneRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I just now realized that broodlords are affected by ground upgrades instead of flyer upgrades

shit, I leagued up

Lord Dave on
    mkc.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    barf

I totally need to improve my TvT and TvZ

my TvP is pretty solid -- open with a 3rax, expand (~35 supply), get back into unit generation, then next 100 gas build a factory w/reactor, lift off and replace with a starport, and start pumping vikings or banshees, and medivacs. Vikings if he's going colossi, and banshees if he's going immortals. I do stick with the 3M pretty much no matter what -- even with colossi, if you have vikings on the field in any substantial number they'll tear through the colossi way faster than they can remove infantry.

I definitely win the vast majority of my TvP matches, but the other two? pretty much a tossup

Backwardsname on
  • Options
    VivixenneVivixenne Remember your training, and we'll get through this just fine. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    why vikings against colossi?

Vivixenne on
    XBOX: NOVADELPHINI | DISCORD: NOVADELPHINI #7387 | TWITTER
  • Options
    RanlinRanlin Oh gosh Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vivixenne wrote: »
    why vikings against colossi?

Colossi are tall enough to be eligible to be hit by the airborne vikings anti-air only attack, which does tremendous damage do them, while also being completely safe against the colossi ground only attacks while doing so. Also their cliffwalking ability doesn't help them escape, what with vikings being airborne :p

Ranlin on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    backwards I haven't seen you on in a while. i wanna roll some silver league 2v2s soon — all these copper league 1v1s are killing me.

scarlet st. on
    japsig.jpg
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    so as a lame bronzey dude I finally gave in to turtling and building four void rays to rape my enemy. Not many people at bronze or silver seem to be able to beat that.

It makes me sad tho because chargelots, dark templars, immortals and colossi are all so much fun. : (

turtling in general seems to be the best tactic at the level at which I am playing

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    fighting a zerg ground army using colossi and immortals is the best thing

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    Helpless RockHelpless Rock Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, i've been playing Protoss the majority of my time and my wins have far between and usually someone who is even worse then me for me to really win.

I just went back to Tarren and holy shit, for some reason I feel way more confident all of a sudden with build orders and units. I have resources I never had as Protoss coming out my ears and I feel I can mass a larger armor quicker (Which is probably a design but still). I just rolled over this Protoss guy that went massing Void Rays by having a boatload of marines waiting for him. it took a few attempts to full breach his base since he had cannons everywhere but a few sieged tanks and MMM the first wave took that out and then an MMM Thor/tank run the second attack dealt with the rest of his base. He had some tricky Void Ray micro going and destroyed my expansion command center but by that point I had plenty of resources stocked to churn out another armory. I still made a lot of stupid mistakes but I didn't feel those mistakes completely destroyed me like I do playing Protoss. Definitely playing Tarren a lot more now.

Helpless Rock on
    WT83sWz.jpg
    Steam: Car1gt // Tumblr // Facebook // Twitter
This discussion has been closed.