As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RIFT] "All the beta keys you can eat"

• EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Finished editing a new OP, thanks for the suggestions people sent me - last call for input before I send it to whoever made this thread. I left out suggested builds for the time because so much is still changing and being tested.

I'm going to compile the info everyone submitted and I'll post it here re: beta event 5, guardian/defiant, and server type. If you want in, enter your info here!
    RIFTlogo.png

RIFT is a new MMO that will be launching on March 1st, 2011, with a headstart for those who pre-order beginning on February 24th, 2011.

Pre-ordering gets you into the remaining beta tests as well! You can pre-order directly from Trion, through Steam for the Steam fanatics out there, and from plenty of other locations. More info can be found here.

For those of you who have pre-ordered, we're setting up a PA guild. Updated information will be supplied in this thread. For now, if you're interested in joining us, fill out the form we've set up here.

Here is RIFT's official description:
    Join legions of adventurers in RIFT™, a new fantasy massively multiplayer online role-playing game (MMORPG) set in a world being torn apart.
    Rifts violently rip into reality across the land and release powerful forces that threaten the very existence of Telara. Each breach brings with it new characters, events, and treasures, while the world itself changes dynamically around you.
    Play with your friends across vast, lavishly detailed environments, or go head-to-head in challenging Player versus Player (PvP) combat as you battle to uncover the secrets of the planes. Build and advance your character using an innovative new class system with limitless possibilities.
    The rifts have divided the people and endanger the world. Whether you fight to seal the rifts forever, or harness their power for your own, epic adventures lie ahead for those willing to fight for the future of Telara.

Here are some pretty pictures:
    ss88-large.jpg
    ss90-large.jpg
    ss64-large.jpg
    ss98-large.jpg
    ss120-large.jpg

And here are some videos:
    RIFT will feel very familiar if you've played MMOs in the style of WoW, WAR, LOTRO, and the like, but there are some standout features that have a bunch of us pretty excited.

Your Character:

RIFT has a very unique character creation and customization system. First, you choose your calling: Warrior, Rogue, Cleric, or Mage.

Your calling determines the Souls available to you. Each Calling has about eight Souls, each with different abilities. You can mix and match up to three Souls. Each Soul has a talent tree (top ability requires 31 points, 51 points can be applied) through which abilities are unlocked. You top out at 66 points at level 50.

In addition, each character has up to four Roles, which are character builds that you can switch between at any time (out of combat). For example, a Rogue could have a Melee DPS Role, a Ranged DPS Role, a Tank Role, and a Support Role. Same for the other Callings.

*** To really understand how all of this works, check out this character builder. ***

Warrior Souls:
    Paladin - Tank
    Warlord - Tank, Buffs
    Beastmaster - Melee DPS + Pet
    Champion - Melee DPS, Burst, Two Hander
    Paragon - Melee DPS, Sustained, Dual Wield
    Reaver - Aoe DPS, Tank
    Riftblade - Elemental DPS
    Void Knight - Anti-Caster, Tank
    Vindicator - The Warrior PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.
    Rogue Souls:
    Bladedancer - Melee DPS, Frontal - Charge in, smack the enemy in the face repeatedly. You also get some dodge/parry bonuses, reactive abilities, and a small amount of AoE.

Assassin - Melee DPS, Positional - Attack the enemy from stealth and backstab away from behind. Plus you get poisons.

Nightblade - Melee/Mid-Range DPS + Stealth - Attack the enemy from stealth, with the option of closing to melee range or staying a bit further out. The Nightblade abilities do elemental damage (fire and death) instead of physical damage, great for targets with lower elemental resistances / higher physical resistances.

Riftstalker - Tanking + Teleports - The Riftstalker is the rogue tanking soul. Unlike Warrior tanking souls, you are more focused on damage reduction than damage avoidance, through a large variety of self-buffs available to you. You also get a bunch of teleports that grant you even more buffs in combat. You ARE an effective tank.

Ranger - Ranged DPS + Pets - The Ranger gets a variety of pets as well as numerous ranged attacks.

Marksman - Ranged DPS + Kiting - The Marksman gets some really hard hitting ranged attacks (if you're standing still) as well as a bunch of abilities that make kiting a viable option.

Saboteur - Ranged DPS / AoE - The Saboteur is an interesting soul. You have a bunch of traps you can set and bombs you can throw, each with different effects. Your add charges to your target to build up combo points, and then detonate those charges for a big nuke plus all of the associated status effects. There are seven or so different charges: damage, damage over time, aoe damage, stun, slow, armor reduction, and damage increase (I think).

Bard - Support / Healing - You have a huge number of buffs - one for statistics (pick between str/dex, int/wis, or endurance), one for other stuff (pick between armor, magic resistance, movement speed, ability cost), plus up to six Motifs that must be refreshed every 30 seconds and provide a bunch of combat bonuses. Your combo point builder heals your group, and your finishers debuff, damage (single target or AoE), or heal, depending on which one you use.

Infiltrator - The Rogue PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.

Rogue abilities cost energy to use - you have a max of 100 energy, and it regenerates slowly during combat. You build up combo points and then use finishers, which do greater damage, have greater effects, or have greater durations with more combo points.
    Cleric Souls:
    Purifier - Single Target Healing
    Sentinel - AoE Healing
    Warden - Healing Over Time
    Justicar - Tanking + Some Healing
    Inquisitor - Ranged DPS
    Druid - Melee DPS + Pet
    Cabalist - DPS of some sort
    Shaman - Melee DPS
    Templar - The Cleric PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.
    Mage Souls:
    Archon - Debuff Enemy, Buff Self/Allies
    Dominator - Crowd Control
    Elementalist - Pets
    Chloromancer - Healing (through doing damage)
    Pyromancer - Single Target Nukes
    Stormcaller - AoE
    Warlock - Damage over Time
    Necromancer - Pet + Lifesteal?
    Archmage - The Mage PvP Soul, has a variety of PvP-centric abilities and bonuses. Only 21 points can be applied here.

Rifts - Dynamic World Events...Really!
    The signature feature of the game, Rifts are holes in the planes through which monstrous elemental creatures come to attack Telara. They look like this:
    ss73-large.jpg

Individual rifts open on their own around the world map. You can also choose to open them at various locations. Sometimes they also appear during quests:
    ss68-large.jpg

And sometimes, they appear as massive, dynamic world events, as our very own Archonex describes here:
    So I just experienced an invasion.

And I don't mean the piddly little "squad of troops marches to a town and tries to burn it to the ground" invasion.

I mean "Cthulu has risen from the depths of Rl'yeh, and seeks to devour the world" sort of invasion.

Me and some group mates were on a peninsula in the Free Marches, fighting some group of artillery men water cultists, trying to close a rift. Which is when we apparently accidentally flipped some sort of pre-programmed trigger that triggered the apocalypse.

See, by this point, I had assumed that Rifts were pretty bog standard PQ's with a twist. If you don't close them, they start spawning troops that will gladly overrun the zone and shut down questing until they're taken care of. And the rifts never stop spawning them. You get rewarded pretty heavily for attacking rifts, however, so you're always wanting to actually attack these things.

So, we close this rift. And all of a sudden a voice rises up from the sea. Apparently by closing that last water rift we pissed off the in-game equivalent of Cthulu. He starts screaming at us, calling us false ascended, traitors, etc, etc. While a goddamn turncoat cultist of death on our side back at Kings Retreat basically shit talks the lovecraftian abomination (Ballsy move, I gotta say.) and ticks it off to the point where it launches a full scale assault on the zone.

Now. I should clarify on this. This wasn't just a couple portals to some stygian un-reality opening. This was a full fledged attempt to sink the zone under the sea. Hundreds of fleshless horrors that were over-leveled for the zone, and looked like something out of Lovecraft's worst nightmares came charging out of the ocean. Portals to another reality opened across the width and breadth of the zone, spewing water from nowhere and everywhere at once, slimy tentacles writhing from them in the air, disgorging their own elite, lovecraftian horrors. Strange, alien growths appeared on the ground throughout the zone, as if the land itself was changing to some sort of alien gods whim.

In short, all hell broke loose. After the initial shock on general chat (Which mainly amounted to people saying "holy shit!", "help!", and "THE'YRE KILLING EVERYTHING".), a raid got together and we started fighting back.

Across the verdant, drowned fields of the Free Marches, we rallied and began to kick ass. Killing at least fifty of the stygian horrors as we marched south to the beacons they were building, struggling to keep the NPC AI from taking the zone (Which apparently they're quite capable of doing. They had to build beacons, RTS style. And they were succeeding for awhile.). We even pursued our man-hunt to kill the monster that rose from the sea, under the sea, finding marks of his favor and hacking them to pieces.

Meanwhile, the sky darkened. And the ground under our feet got wetter and wetter, until in some areas, we were literally walking in ankle deep water at all times.

The Kelari village got burned (Drowned?) to the ground at some point, no clue when. Which is a shame, because not twenty minutes before it fell, I paid it a visit and upgraded it's wardstone to the highest tier.

The Kings Retreat, the most secure area in the northern half of the zone, also came under attack a few times, though a second battalion of ascended formed and marched down the main roads to meet the huge invasion force that had gathered, and was incoming toward's it, so it was saved.

There were easily 20 rifts open, and god knows how many eldritch abominations running around. When I logged out after the invasion, twenty minutes later, the southern half of the zone was still covered in rifts that were disgorging a dozen invasion forces, despite the event being officially "over".

Eventually, after an hour of marching around and hard combat, we finally managed to face off with the monster that started the zone wide event. It died. And I got myself a special orb, an epic item, that can be used to trade for epic quality gear, even at my level.

That was probably the most badass, awesome thing i've ever done in a MMO. Some of the scenes from it looked like they should have been on the cover of a death metal album, and it was definitely dynamic content on a zone wide scale. We had a frigging militia forming to defend the towns, for instance. For no other reason then to not lose them.

PvE: Dungeons and Such
    ss61-large.jpg
    There are something like eight to ten dungeons as you're leveling up. They're available again as "expert mode" dungeons once you hit level 50. Raids will be in as well, 20 people max, although we don't know much about them yet.

Here are some videos of boss fights in the early dungeons:
    And here are some scenes from the dungeons available so far:
    ss107-large.jpg
    ss106-large.jpg
    ss101-large.jpg
    ss62-large.jpg
    ss60-large.jpg

PvP: Yeah, RIFT has that too

If you're into PvP, there will be PvP servers. We also know that there will be several Warfronts, basically instanced 10v10 (or more) battlegrounds that you queue up for. We don't know too much about open world PvP at the moment.

Warfronts that we've seen so far include:
    -The Codex - 15v15, get points for holding different locations
    -The Black Garden - 10v10, get points for controlling the Fang of Regulos, which does more and more damage to you the longer you're holding it

Important Links:

Official RIFT Website

Penny Arcade Guild Info Form

Character Builders: Option 1, Option 2

Ellthiteren on
  • tricontricon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    So, I like to jump on and run instances pretty much on demand a la CoH or WoW. Is this a thing in this game?

Also the soul system seems crazy awesome, might need to sign up for a beta somewhere.

So far I like the dungeons. We did have access to 4 dungeons in the last event, one more next time.
    The last one on the defiant side did give me some wtf moments. The designer really must love eq kelethin. Last boss was quite tough.

We have no dungeon finder ala wow but if anyone in the group enters the dungeon everyone get a teleport prompt to it.
    One point I liked was you could change your soul on the fly. So if you found out your dps warrior should better use his offtank build next boss you can switch anytime to it outside of combat.

tricon on
  • ParagonParagon Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I want to sign up for that PA form, but I can't decide on Guardian or Defiant.

I'm fond of green numbers and fonts (I want to play a cleric). So...

...on the one hand, High Elves (:winky:) have their awesome mana regen ability.
    ...on the second hand, Kelari (:winky:) have their awesome ensured criticals and 10% better crits.

Decisions!

Paragon on
  • ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I will admit I'd like to try out one of the giant blue dudes for my character o-o... although a Dwarf -would- be equally acceptable!

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • TheOrangeTheOrange Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One thing I couldn't understand is how awesome the 51 points in a soul abilities are; wouldn't that make the endgame a lot easier for people who master a single soul? And wouldn't that ruin the awesomness of how custom builds work in this game?

I really REALLY hate how most MMOs have cokie cutter builds and am hoping rift makes it so every instance run with a diffrent group have a diffrent taste. Like a group with a healing bard and a justicar tank would feel diffrent then a classical compisition.

no one got this far on beta, so this is just theory crafting.

TheOrange on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TheOrange wrote: »
    One thing I couldn't understand is how awesome the 51 points in a soul abilities are; wouldn't that make the endgame a lot easier for people who master a single soul? And wouldn't that ruin the awesomness of how custom builds work in this game?

I really REALLY hate how most MMOs have cokie cutter builds and am hoping rift makes it so every instance run with a diffrent group have a diffrent taste. Like a group with a healing bard and a justicar tank would feel diffrent then a classical compisition.

no one got this far on beta, so this is just theory crafting.

I think it's just the opposite

Only a select few 51 point root abilities are even remotely worth specializing that heavily and giving up the almost universally incredible 18 point root abilities from other souls.

My biggest concern is that it seems like there are some souls that go together too obviously well, to the point where I don't expect to see one without the other

Justicar or Shaman with Druid, for example

Also while we're talking about random balance concerns, it seems to me that Eth's active racial ability is worse in every regard than the Mathosian racial. Am I missing something? Is +2% to all stats so much exceptionally better than +1% damage that they needed their active racial to be half as effective?

Maddoc on
    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    edited January 2011
    Sadly, I thought I was the only person that came up with that combo :p

TheOrange on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wait so if Im understanding this right, zones get completely raped sometimes and an extremely large number of players are required to make the zone usable again?

So one month after this game comes out and 3/4 of the subscribers leave, all of the zones except the endgame ones are going to simply be inaccessible?

override367 on
    edited January 2011
    How pessimistic of you to assume no one will ever create alts, or that the game is apparently going to fail to DEATH after the free month!

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    Well buying every single MMO since 2006 and being extremely disappointed with every MMO since 2006 tends to do that

Here are the phases of a modern MMO:

Pre Launch: Everyone loves it. There are some concerns raised but those people are dogpiled on. NO MMO IS LAUNCHED FINISHED, etc
    Launch: It's fun for a bit, then you hit something, be it the complete lack of content post level 40 in AOC or the disappointing endgame RVR in Warhammer and stop playing
    Post Launch: Only a small core remain after the first month. The people who you cautioned against getting lifetime subscriptions to star trek online who insulted your mother for questioning their hobby are now the biggest haters of the product

I'm edging on preordering Rift but I have some serious concerns it's not just going to be ChampAions Online: Age of Reckoning of the Rings again.

My specific concern about rifts was one I had in WAR that proved accurate, after the first 2 weeks finding a tank was impossible for the PQs and they became content to be avoided for low level characters.

override367 on
    edited January 2011
    Well for one thing the majority of the games you listed didn't keel over, actually... NONE of them did. In fact they are still around and rebuilding/rebuilt themselves. Hell LOTRO was NOT failing, going free-to-play didn't mean the game was dying, Turbine just saw dollar signs since they mastered the art of free-to-play with D&D Online.

As well... from what I've heard in this thread, Rift is currently more polished and 'complete' than any other MMO that's been released in a long, long time and the game is still two months from release.

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Well for one thing the majority of the games you listed didn't keel over, actually... NONE of them did. In fact they are still around and rebuilding/rebuilt themselves. Hell LOTRO was NOT failing, going free-to-play didn't mean the game was dying, Turbine just saw dollar signs since they mastered the art of free-to-play with D&D Online.

I didn't say they keeled over, I said that most of the players quit.

Did Aion, WAR, and the like just merge a bunch of servers together for the hell of it? The fact that they've lingered on doesn't mean they aren't failures, the companies that own them are trying to get something out of their investment.

I had some hopes for TOR and I hope something comes from it, only open beta will tell. Rift looks interesting, if a combination of Aion and War, but I still have concerns. Can I preorder and then cancel to get a beta key?

Edit: Fixed

override367 on
    edited January 2011
    In WARs case at least, I think it was more the developers believing Paul's own hype a bit too much. They started out with a ridiculous amount of servers, and I still think that if they had a more reasonable amount and expanded as needed they'd have done far better.

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    The no-tanks-after-some-time-in-lower-levels is a problem that falls on the lap of devlopers, did you really think I'd endure killing stuff half as fast as my buddies 'till I reach the endgame?

Either make leveling content easy enough to tank by only switching your two hander to a sword and board or install a convenient spec switching tool. The reason you see more tanks leveling in WoW then you see endgame is because its sometimes easier to level as one. AoE farming, no/short instance queues, AND they could always switch to DPS while questing.

RIFT I think takes care of all that, I mean, most tanking souls alow for a "DPS mode" or something and all the 4 architypes has a healing assist soul that can be utilized to overcome having a none-speced healer.

Now the lack of content after 40 is a concern as no BETA event went that far yet.

TheOrange on
  • SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    wait so if Im understanding this right, zones get completely raped sometimes and an extremely large number of players are required to make the zone usable again?

So one month after this game comes out and 3/4 of the subscribers leave, all of the zones except the endgame ones are going to simply be inaccessible?

The zone invasions and rift events scale to the number of players active in the zone.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Maddoc wrote: »
    Also while we're talking about random balance concerns, it seems to me that Eth's active racial ability is worse in every regard than the Mathosian racial. Am I missing something? Is +2% to all stats so much exceptionally better than +1% damage that they needed their active racial to be half as effective?

They're exactly as effective, just at different times. The Mathosian one essentially negates half of each hit for up to 50% max health, meaning you still take damage but highly reduced damage for a longer period of time (And, in the long run, block 25% of your health in damage). The Eth shield generator just blocks it all up front: you get a shield that absorbs 100% of all incoming damage for up to 25% of max health...with the end result being blocking 25% of your health in damage.

SkyCaptain wrote: »

The zone invasions and rift events scale to the number of players active in the zone.

If you're getting walloped, they'll also send friendly NPC forces through that you can tag along with for some help.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • NeurotikaNeurotika Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    So, given all the classes in this game, is there an arcane healing class?

My favorite class design from an MMO was Vangard's Bloodmage, all healing the party by stealing life from mobs. They also had an interesting combo-point system that made their heals more powerful the more DoTs they put up.

I will gladly day 1 this if there are some unique healing/debuffing/buffing mechanics.

Neurotika on
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    ForceVoid wrote: »
    So, given all the classes in this game, is there an arcane healing class?

My favorite class design from an MMO was Vangard's Bloodmage, all healing the party by stealing life from mobs. They also had an interesting combo-point system that made their heals more powerful the more DoTs they put up.

I will gladly day 1 this if there are some unique healing/debuffing/buffing mechanics.

I haven't played the class, so I don't know the details, but I believe the Chloromancer is a healing class in the mage archetype that heals by doing damage. I'm sure someone with a bit more experience can explain it further. I'm with you on the Bloodmage though. Such an awesome class.

Vi Monks on
    edited January 2011
    Chloromancer heals the entire group by doing damage to enemies, and it has some bigger heals on fairly short cooldowns for emergencies. It can definitely main heal everything we've seen in game so far.

Ellthiteren on
    edited January 2011
    Chloromancer heals the entire group by doing damage to enemies, and it has some bigger heals on fairly short cooldowns for emergencies. It can definitely main heal everything we've seen in game so far.

Hotness.

Neurotika on
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    How hard is it to swap skills within a particular archetype?

sim on
    edited January 2011
    sim wrote: »
    How hard is it to swap skills within a particular archetype?

2 seconds, out of combat, no cooldown, up to four different builds at a time (that you can easily respec at a trainer).

Ellthiteren on
  • ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The Chloromancer is pretty fun and once you get out a bunch of little dots that hots your team mates over time you're able to heal up your party even if they've pulled two-three groups of mobs. There's this one spell called "Natural conversion" that I love, you cast it at an enemy and the next attack or special ability from that enemy will now heal the attacked player for the amount it would have damaged him - it's so sweet when you pull it off right before a major attack.

Shanadeus on
    edited January 2011
    Shanadeus wrote: »
    The Chloromancer is pretty fun and once you get out a bunch of little dots that hots your team mates over time you're able to heal up your party even if they've pulled two-three groups of mobs. There's this one spell called "Natural conversion" that I love, you cast it at an enemy and the next attack or special ability from that enemy will now heal the attacked player for the amount it would have damaged him - it's so sweet when you pull it off right before a major attack.

I love "healing" abilities like that, i.e. abilities that are a bit more nuanced than "makes the green bar go up." For reference, my favorite MMO class is the protection monk in Guild Wars. Are there a lot of healing/protection/support abilities like that? Is there a class that specializes in that kind of support? Because that would be fantastic.

Vi Monks on
    edited January 2011

Whelp, I'm sold. Time to pre-order :)

Neurotika on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »

I love "healing" abilities like that, i.e. abilities that are a bit more nuanced than "makes the green bar go up." For reference, my favorite MMO class is the protection monk in Guild Wars. Are there a lot of healing/protection/support abilities like that? Is there a class that specializes in that kind of support? Because that would be fantastic.

The Cleric Purifier soul has a few like that; 30-second absorbtion fields, next x damage spells will heal for that much, etc.

sidhaethe on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    TheOrange wrote: »
    The no-tanks-after-some-time-in-lower-levels is a problem that falls on the lap of devlopers, did you really think I'd endure killing stuff half as fast as my buddies 'till I reach the endgame?

Either make leveling content easy enough to tank by only switching your two hander to a sword and board or install a convenient spec switching tool. The reason you see more tanks leveling in WoW then you see endgame is because its sometimes easier to level as one. AoE farming, no/short instance queues, AND they could always switch to DPS while questing.

RIFT I think takes care of all that, I mean, most tanking souls alow for a "DPS mode" or something and all the 4 architypes has a healing assist soul that can be utilized to overcome having a none-speced healer.

Now the lack of content after 40 is a concern as no BETA event went that far yet.

At level 13 you can start getting the quests to get all the souls. Getting all the souls in your archtype is quite easy - you assist in closing a rift, go back, hand in quest, get next soul quest.

My dude got all of them in about 2 hrs, and he was spec'd to tank.

Pretty much straight away you can purchase alternative setups, that take 2 seconds to change in to. Instead of wow where you get 2, in rift you can have up to 4.

Leveling as a pure tank was a little tough to start, but once you get the hang of it, its not too bad.

MrIamMe on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

They're exactly as effective, just at different times. The Mathosian one essentially negates half of each hit for up to 50% max health, meaning you still take damage but highly reduced damage for a longer period of time (And, in the long run, block 25% of your health in damage). The Eth shield generator just blocks it all up front: you get a shield that absorbs 100% of all incoming damage for up to 25% of max health...with the end result being blocking 25% of your health in damage.

Unless I'm completely misreading the Mathosian one, they heal for half the damage done to them over 30 seconds, up to half of their max HP. So they would receive total healing up to half of their max HP, thus negating 50% damage over time.

Maddoc on
    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    edited January 2011
    Sorry if this has been posted. I've been following the thread (for the most part) and didn't see it. It's a description of an interview with the Instance and Raid team about what endgame content will look like. Sounds pretty standard to me, with a few interesting tidbits -- namely, "heroic" versions of dungeons for max level players that differ in layout and design substantially when compared to their normal versions. The example from the interview is a dungeon where you might find a group of miners in the normal version. In the expert version, the miners have finished their work, and there is a new tunnel to explore.

Full summary here: http://www.riftjunkies.com/2010/12/17/rifts-endgame-progression-and-raids-explained/

Vi Monks on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »

I didn't say they keeled over, I said that most of the players quit.

Did Aion, WAR, and the like just merge a bunch of servers together for the hell of it? The fact that they've lingered on doesn't mean they aren't failures, the companies that own them are trying to get something out of their investment.

I had some hopes for TOR and I hope something comes from it, only open beta will tell. Rift looks interesting, if a combination of Aion and War, but I still have concerns. Can I preorder and then cancel to get a beta key?

Edit: Fixed

AION "failed" to catch on because it was way too damn grindy. They didn't make it accessible outside of a specific playstyle. WAR in a way was the same - the end game was entirely built around PvP. A lot of people don't like to PvP, but that was the only way to get the best gear. And when you did PvP, the chance of you getting something good from a keep was low, and the amount of work required to raise your rep to get your own gear was just too much. Who knows what the current state of the game is. It had some really good ideas though - the outdoor objectives was pretty sweet.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    WAR didn't fail to catch on because it was about PVP. It failed to catch on because it was about not-fun PVP. It wasn't as good as DAOC, which it was a spiritual successor to, and which succeeded pretty well in the pvp MMO market.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011

Unless I'm completely misreading the Mathosian one, they heal for half the damage done to them over 30 seconds, up to half of their max HP. So they would receive total healing up to half of their max HP, thus negating 50% damage over time.

Hmm, I'm reading it as you heal up to 50% of your health until the damage you take has hit half of your max HP. Is there someone who played Mathosian here who knows the answer?

SimpsonsParadox on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Darkewolfe wrote: »
    WAR didn't fail to catch on because it was about PVP. It failed to catch on because it was about not-fun PVP. It wasn't as good as DAOC, which it was a spiritual successor to, and which succeeded pretty well in the pvp MMO market.

While this is also true, forcing everyone to PvP at max level wasn't ever going to make WAR into a million-subscriber game, which is what it was going for (or at least what Marc Jacobs was going for), no matter how fun the PvP was.

It certainly would have been more successful than it is now, though.

sidhaethe on
  • skjaybeskskjaybesk Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    No, WAR failed to catch on because of things like Mythic seconds. Let that never be forgotten:

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/110505193/

Let's have bad netcode in a game with collision and centered around pvp!

If that crap had been polished and beautiful you can bet legions of people would still play.

skjaybesk on
  • CorehealerCorehealer The Apothecary The softer edge of the universe.Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    skjaybesk wrote: »
    No, WAR failed to catch on because of things like Mythic seconds. Let that never be forgotten:

http://vnboards.ign.com/warhammer_online_age_of_reckoning_general_board/b22997/110505193/

Let's have bad netcode in a game with collision and centered around pvp!

If that crap had been polished and beautiful you can bet legions of people would still play.

I was unaware they had the hubris to redesign a second. That's hilariously sad. :(

Corehealer on
    488W936.png
    edited January 2011
    Man what makes me sad is that I'll only have three days to give this a go next week D:

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    All pre-ordered up!

Beta is available from Tues to Friday next week, right?

Neurotika on
    edited January 2011
    Correct.

Arthil on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm seriously considering Pre-Ordering this Friday. I really like everything I've seen and heard so far.

Bloodshed on
  • FiarynFiaryn Omnicidal Madman Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted. I've been following the thread (for the most part) and didn't see it. It's a description of an interview with the Instance and Raid team about what endgame content will look like. Sounds pretty standard to me, with a few interesting tidbits -- namely, "heroic" versions of dungeons for max level players that differ in layout and design substantially when compared to their normal versions. The example from the interview is a dungeon where you might find a group of miners in the normal version. In the expert version, the miners have finished their work, and there is a new tunnel to explore.

Full summary here: http://www.riftjunkies.com/2010/12/17/rifts-endgame-progression-and-raids-explained/

While I'm pretty sure WoW Heroics don't have fully different dungeon layouts, the premise of same-dungeon-but-harder for end game content is exactly WoW. Not a bad thing, I agree with the interview where they said different for the sake of different is a bad thing (it almost always is!) but lets not pretend this is anything fresh or new. Or, god forbid, hip

Fiaryn on
    Soul Silver FC: 1935 3141 6240
    White FC: 0819 3350 1787
This discussion has been closed.