As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[RIFT] "All the beta keys you can eat"

• ArthilArthil Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Well the thing is according to that there -is- major differences in the high level versions of the dungeons. Going by their own example, a tunnel a bunch of miners are working on in the normal version, is fully finished and leads into a new area of the dungeon in the... ugh, 'heroic' version.

Arthil on
    PSN: Honishimo Steam UPlay: Arthil
  • Vi MonksVi Monks Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Fiaryn wrote: »
    Vi Monks wrote: »
    Sorry if this has been posted. I've been following the thread (for the most part) and didn't see it. It's a description of an interview with the Instance and Raid team about what endgame content will look like. Sounds pretty standard to me, with a few interesting tidbits -- namely, "heroic" versions of dungeons for max level players that differ in layout and design substantially when compared to their normal versions. The example from the interview is a dungeon where you might find a group of miners in the normal version. In the expert version, the miners have finished their work, and there is a new tunnel to explore.

Full summary here: http://www.riftjunkies.com/2010/12/17/rifts-endgame-progression-and-raids-explained/

While I'm pretty sure WoW Heroics don't have fully different dungeon layouts, the premise of same-dungeon-but-harder for end game content is exactly WoW. Not a bad thing, I agree with the interview where they said different for the sake of different is a bad thing (it almost always is!) but lets not pretend this is anything fresh or new. Or, god forbid, hip

Of course, harder dungeons for max level has been done to death in WoW and probably a ton of other MMOs. I was mostly linking the interview for the broad picture of raid progression, in case anyone was interested. Though I think changing the dungeons significantly for the 'heroic' version has promise, and I hope they run with it.

On another note, has anyone played a high level (as high as the beta allows, anyway) Chloromancer and Cleric healer to compare their capabilities in PvP? I've been doing some research on the classes the past couple days, but I'm still waffling back and forth, and I doubt I'll be able to get both to max level next week in order to test things on my own. I'm sure I'll end up with both eventually, but I need to know what to level first!

Vi Monks on
  • EllthiterenEllthiteren Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    My impression has been that a full healing cleric heals a bit better than a chloromancer but doesn't do nearly as much damage while doing it. Haven't run any parses though, and I was on the receiving end, not playing them.

Ellthiteren on
  • override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm watching some videos about the Dynamic content and how is this different than a PQ?

Mobs spawn, you kill them

More mobs spawn, except they're marginally bigger, you kill them

Etc, etc, etc, eventually you kill a boss.

Nothing dynamic about them except their appearance

override367 on
    edited January 2011
    The whole event of it changes depending on how many people are in the area doing it, there are timed objectives that if completed branch off into different encounters...

What truly makes them dynamic, and you'd know this if you looked hard enough, is the Rifts can open up -anywhere-. Hell you can open one up prematurely if you'd want to technically. But the general idea is that these things can open all across the map, and while they are a form of public quest in the most base sense nothing about it deals with the whole "rolling at the end, oh hey this person gets all the loot haha!" everyone gets rewarded.

But what truly makes the system dynamic is if a rift is left alone, the creatures will begin to spread out until eventually they reach an NPC settlement and begin to decimate it. Or more amazingly an event someone wrote about earlier, seemingly it happened after they closed a rift? Some kind of Cthluhuian monstrosity opened up 'Water' Rifts all across the zone, and high level things just started pouring out of them. It was an all out invasion that ended with them fighting and killing the thing that started it.

Arthil on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    PQ's were a great way to farm gear and break the tedium a little bit, I'm glad another MMO decided to use the concept.

There have been things about almost every MMO I've ever played, which is most of them, that I really liked. It's only a matter of time before someone manages to collect all those things into one MMO.

I love a big class selection. I love the idea of a pure Support character, something I always felt the lack of in WoW. In EQ if you had a Enchanter and/or a Shaman in your group, you had a huge advantage with the buffs and debuffs available. No class necessarily stepped on another class's toes. A Magician did ranged DPS, but they were Pet class, so they weren't really taking the Wizards job. A Necromancer was also a Pet class, but their damage was primarily DoT, not DD, so they had their own niche. Bards were pure amazing and always coveted in a group by any class, and ironically the most popular alt/twink and yet one of the more rare classes anyone actually leveled.

The Multi-Class/Soul system sounds very fun, but I imagine it won't be long before there are Cookie-Cutter builds. Because no matter what, there will -always- be Min/Maxers, there will -always- be people who expect everyone else to be maximizing their performance.

Which is a shame, really. Why are we so focused on performance that we can't appreciate a little ingenuity and creativity? Is it the fault of the playerbase, or the Devs for making encounters require an absolute perfection of performance? (At least until gear trivializes it, that is.)

Bloodshed on
    edited January 2011
    Well that's if there ever will be a definitive 'build' that everyone should take blah blah. It really sounds like they want to push the play what the hell you want aspect. On top of that with the fact that you have four different specs you can have, each one possibly being a combination of three different Souls, I find it hard to believe you'll see many people sticking to one 'perfect' spec.

Arthil on
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Arthil wrote: »
    Well that's if there ever will be a definitive 'build' that everyone should take blah blah. It really sounds like they want to push the play what the hell you want aspect. On top of that with the fact that you have four different specs you can have, each one possibly being a combination of three different Souls, I find it hard to believe you'll see many people sticking to one 'perfect' spec.

I still stand by my assertion that some souls just plain work too well together.

Look at Druid

If you think anyone that takes Justicar and/or Shaman won't also have Druid, you are dreaming

Maddoc on
    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    edited January 2011
    Oh obviously there are ones that will just mesh very well, but who's to say what that third soul will be? Or maybe someone just decides to be something else, and it still turns out to be viable.

Edit: Also jesus christ your signature.

Arthil on
  • SimpsonsParadoxSimpsonsParadox Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Bloodshed wrote: »
    There have been things about almost every MMO I've ever played, which is most of them, that I really liked. It's only a matter of time before someone manages to collect all those things into one MMO.

Rift is, to me, that MMO. Like Darksiders, there is almost nothing that I can't point to and say "This MMO did it first!" but I don't think I've found a single thing that I can point to and say "This MMO did it better."

Bloodshed wrote: »
    Which is a shame, really. Why are we so focused on performance that we can't appreciate a little ingenuity and creativity? Is it the fault of the playerbase, or the Devs for making encounters require an absolute perfection of performance? (At least until gear trivializes it, that is.)

I can't speak for anyone else, but for myself it's probably a heavy bias based in history. The people who I have played with with the 'unique snowflake' talent build philosophy were also proponents of the 'I didn't read the boss strategy because you can all explain it to me' school of thought and the ever popular 'I didn't bring [Thing I Need Every Raid Night And Tonight Is No Exception] so my best course of action is to stay really quiet and not say a thing until we've all died a few times and start wondering why we don't have buff xyz' camp. I don't care if people have moved a few inconsequential points around because it plays better or they like symmetry the new abilities make on their action bar, but I do start to mind if you're grouping with me and you didn't pick up some massively important talent for the sole sake of being unique.

Again, however, I'll admit that I'm biased based off of past experiences with that type of player.

SimpsonsParadox on
    edited January 2011
    That is a very valid point Simpsons, but when you consider how... different the class system is for RIFT, will such an idea even be a valid one?

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    That is a very valid point Simpsons, but when you consider how... different the class system is for RIFT, will such an idea even be a valid one?

I think so. Increasing the number of possible combinations doesn't really do a whole lot in terms of mathing things out; for example, I'm really not going to worry about trying to figure out of Purifier/Warden/Shaman is better DPS than Justicar/Druid/Shaman because I'm pretty sure the second one is going to win. It will make things take longer, sure, but in the end we're going to have a set of cookie cutter builds that are just plain old better at doing thing x than other builds. The only things that I could see that would rock the boat would be

A) x is far too defined to make cookie cutters useful (if x is the best DPS, then we're going to have a best build. If x is the best DPS done while one handed and snared and with a weapon DPS between 27 and 27.03, then nobody will care)

and

B) There are several 'cookie cutter' builds that fit under 'best'. For example, if theres little difference between this paladin build and this VK build and this Riftstalker build in threat, then I don't think cookie cutters will matter much in the long run.

SimpsonsParadox on
    edited January 2011
    I'm hoping in general it'll be a situation where... well, you can play whatever the hell you want and be just fine. Admittedly the simple fact that his game could let me play as a Warrior/Fighter type that has a pet, and perhaps is even a tank at the same time, makes me all kinds of giddy.

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    I'm hoping in general it'll be a situation where... well, you can play whatever the hell you want and be just fine.

I think this is going to be how it ends up. Nobody is going to care if this Paragon build x is a slight bit better than Paragon build y because if they don't want to play Paragon build x they can just become a Champion or Beastmaster or Warlord or Riftblade or VK etc etc.

SimpsonsParadox on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I'm watching some videos about the Dynamic content and how is this different than a PQ?

Mobs spawn, you kill them

More mobs spawn, except they're marginally bigger, you kill them

Etc, etc, etc, eventually you kill a boss.

Nothing dynamic about them except their appearance

From what I've seen and tried, they're not pre-set, scripted events like a PQ is. A rift opens absolutely anywhere in the zone, if it goes unchecked, it spews out more and more shit until it becomes a real problem for the people in the zone.

In a PQ, there are timed stages that tick away whether or not there are people there to complete them. They're always the same.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited January 2011
    To add to what has already been said about rifts as more than simply PQs - There are six rift factions, plus Guardian and Defiant factions, and they all fight each other AND any mobs (hostile or not) that they come across. So your PQs are shooting out little mini PQs that then get into fights, randomly, all over the map.

About builds, I'm sure that there will be a "best" build for a given situation, but those are pretty specific situations. There will be a best single target melee dps build, a best single ranged dps build, a best aoe melee build, a best aoe ranged build, and so on. There's so much going on within each calling, and between the callings, that there are plenty of tradeoffs between any two builds. For example, the best single target dps rogue build I can theorycraft up is dependent on the pet staying alive - and good luck with that in any fight with funky aggro or AoE. Even with four roles you can't have the ideal build for every situation, so you'll have to make some choices. Some raid leaders might try to optimize everything down to each talent point, but seriously, who enjoys playing with those guys?

Ellthiteren on
    edited January 2011
    The whole event of it changes depending on how many people are in the area doing it, there are timed objectives that if completed branch off into different encounters...

What truly makes them dynamic, and you'd know this if you looked hard enough, is the Rifts can open up -anywhere-. Hell you can open one up prematurely if you'd want to technically. But the general idea is that these things can open all across the map, and while they are a form of public quest in the most base sense nothing about it deals with the whole "rolling at the end, oh hey this person gets all the loot haha!" everyone gets rewarded.

But what truly makes the system dynamic is if a rift is left alone, the creatures will begin to spread out until eventually they reach an NPC settlement and begin to decimate it. Or more amazingly an event someone wrote about earlier, seemingly it happened after they closed a rift? Some kind of Cthluhuian monstrosity opened up 'Water' Rifts all across the zone, and high level things just started pouring out of them. It was an all out invasion that ended with them fighting and killing the thing that started it.

Yea I saw the video of the water one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AcGGjjhe6lI&feature=related

Honestly it's extremely unimpressive. Great now there are water elementals here and a screeching sky vagina, I have to drop everytihng I'm doing and help deal with it. Yay. I'm sure that won't get old very quickly.

My largest problem with this game is its core hook, now there's blue mobs here instead of what was here, and they'll get gradually MORE ELITE until everyone's gameplay is disrupted and you have to kill them. That just sounds awful.

override367 on
  • simsim Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I imagine it would be more like if the elemental invasion would kill auctioneers, bankers, daily quest givers, and then fight both factions in pvp for a while if left completely unchecked. If NPCs show up later regardless it would ruin the concept.

sim on
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    You don't like it you don't have to play.

People often say the most fun they had in wow were the zombie invasions, and this is a similar concept.

A lot of ppl didn't like it and whined, and blizzard took it out.

I on the other hand, love the rifts, and if they get disruptive, a quick message in the global channel brings a lot of people to help.

EDIT: Also, over time, they lose the ability to heal back to full, so you can kite kill the boss.

MrIamMe on
  • ED!ED! Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Leveling my alts in WoW, I struggle to fathom how people still enjoy that, and scoff at new IP's like RIFT. There has been ZERO progression in WoW's product for years now, just "new content". I pat RIFT's developers for trying something new, while still delivering a pretty engaging single player experience.

As for the RIFT's disrupting play - I was having to run to catch some because they seemed to not occur as often as I thought they would. I imagine it would be entirely possible to simply ignore them if they were so odious to a player.

ED! on
    "Get the hell out of me" - [ex]girlfriend
  • MrIamMeMrIamMe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    The more isolated areas get overrun more often.

If you really want to do rifts etc, head away from the crowded parts of the zone with a group, and profit.

MrIamMe on
    edited January 2011
    My largest problem with this game is its core hook, now there's blue mobs here instead of what was here, and they'll get gradually MORE ELITE until everyone's gameplay is disrupted and you have to kill them. That just sounds awful.

It can get a bit annoying, but there are a large amount of mitigating factors. For example, in every zone there's a cheap item (that can also be a reward for doing well in a rift battle) that summons a group of your factions elite fighters to help out. For the most part they can solo anything blocking your way, and to top it off they'll stick around after the job is done so if an invasion comes your way again it they'll still be there and can help fight it off a second time. Also, the invasions/rifts give a ton of XP as well as currency you can trade in for some nice gear, consumables to make grinding easier, and little gem type things that fit into an item you can buy with said currency. Also, unless it's a huge zone wide kind of thing, if you don't want to deal with a rift you can always just move a bit away. Invasions, on the other hand, can get kind of annoying, especially when they take over a town, but usually you just wait a moment and two or so other people will show up and you'll be able to take them down (or you use the item I described before and just do it yourself).

SimpsonsParadox on
    edited January 2011
    ED! wrote: »
    Leveling my alts in WoW, I struggle to fathom how people still enjoy that, and scoff at new IP's like RIFT. There has been ZERO progression in WoW's product for years now, just "new content". I pat RIFT's developers for trying something new, while still delivering a pretty engaging single player experience.

As for the RIFT's disrupting play - I was having to run to catch some because they seemed to not occur as often as I thought they would. I imagine it would be entirely possible to simply ignore them if they were so odious to a player.

Rift doesn't have anything new about it is the thing, the rifts are cute but I can't possibly see how they'll hold any appeal six months from now. Lets hope they get it right.

These games keep coming out and I want to love them, but I'm not seeing what is so great, they're just clones of each other. Is this game going to have an open beta?

override367 on
    edited January 2011
    It currently is in open beta, however they do not run it like other companies where they unleash everyone on the game for months. There are short, set testing times and the next one is next Tuesday, and goes until Friday. Behind the scenes they have a constant 'alpha' or closed beta group actually testing the game, as in trying to BREAK it as a tester should be.

On the whole 'clones of each other' shit, that's just the nature of this genre. Sure there are plenty who go off the usual mold, but more often than not those fail. RIFT seems to take everything nearly about the MMOs of the past decade and polish them, combine them into a superior form with their own game. I also believe the rift system isn't simply "cute", it'll end up being a big constant part of the game, especially whenever an Invasion is triggered in a zone.

Some might consider this disruptive, I see it as dynamic content. That peaceful town that you're so used to being 100% safe in most MMOs, isn't. In fact there's a chance you could log in the next day and it's under control of one of the Planes.

Arthil on
  • FiggyFiggy Fighter of the night man Champion of the sunRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Rift is a clone of MMOs before it just as much as any other game is a clone of previous games in its own genre. Call of Duty and Medal of Honor. Forza and Gran Turisimo. The NHL series and every other hockey game ever.

I think that with MMOs, because people generally dedicate so much time into them, they gain superficial loyalty. Another game comes along and they look at it with suspicion. Oh, it's the same game? That's retarded. It's a clone. Who cares.

The successful MMOs that are still around right now are the ones who take what works and try to do it better. You may say you want an MMO that is totally different, but you'd only want it for a month, because that is exactly what happens to the MMOs that go out on a limb with their concepts--they're gone soon after launch. Why? The winning formula for an MMO has already been created, and games need to take that and build further instead of trying to recreate the wheel.

Figgy on
    XBL : Figment3 · SteamID : Figment
    edited January 2011
    It currently is in open beta

Actually it's closed beta. There is also a closed alpha for testers and family and the like, but you need some form of key or luck to get in to the beta. They do have a week long beta event before headstart and that's currently guesstimated to be an open beta week, but there's been no official word.

SimpsonsParadox on
    edited January 2011
    I kind of viewed it that they just didn't do the whole 'open beta have fun for a month' thing other MMOs did.

Arthil on
  • AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I think that the more intelligent companies won't be doing that whole open month thing. Give people a taste for free but don't give them the whole lemonade stand.

Also I couldn't agree more with what Figgy has said. The genre is so relatively new that people spew crap about clones etc far too readily.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Mnemon-CorbantisMnemon-Corbantis Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Figgy wrote: »
    Rift is a clone of MMOs before it just as much as any other game is a clone of previous games in its own genre. Call of Duty and Medal of Honor. Forza and Gran Turisimo. The NHL series and every other hockey game ever.

I think that with MMOs, because people generally dedicate so much time into them, they gain superficial loyalty. Another game comes along and they look at it with suspicion. Oh, it's the same game? That's retarded. It's a clone. Who cares.

The successful MMOs that are still around right now are the ones who take what works and try to do it better. You may say you want an MMO that is totally different, but you'd only want it for a month, because that is exactly what happens to the MMOs that go out on a limb with their concepts--they're gone soon after launch. Why? The winning formula for an MMO has already been created, and games need to take that and build further instead of trying to recreate the wheel.

Honestly I think there are a lot of folks out there just hoping for something to come out that isn't a WoW clone. Just look at the first month sales for games like WAR and AoC that ultimately died (i believe WAR did 1 million sales and AoC over 800,000 in their first months).

In both cases their new concepts weren't what killed the games. instead of was a lack of content, a lack of polish, suspect decisions by their design teams and in Warhammer's severe case hardware issues.

IMO this game looks nice. the class system is intriguing. but at the end of the day i just finished a lvl 85 character in WoW so why would i leave the good stuff (end game) in WoW to go grind in Rift? The combat doesn't look new and exciting from what i've seen. quests seem to be the same "go get five bear asses" stuff thats actually a step back from what WoW has now. and I haven't seen much pvp mentioned.

to me there are a handful of ways somebody comes out and makes an exciting new MMO:

- the game is more of a sandbox than wow is. players have a ton of different ways to spend their time. think old pre-cu SWG here.

- the combat system is just so fun and awesome you have to play it. don't think anybody knows what this looks like - perhaps an MMO with Force Unleashed/God of War style combat? Somebody having the balls to break from the Tank/Healer/Utility/DPS style (ala Guild Wars 2)? sadly the folks who have tried to stray from the WoW style have failed (AoC, FPS/MMO hybrids like Tabula Rasa, NGE SWG).

- the story and content are so damn good you have to give it a try. think the epic quest line in Lord of the Rings but on a grander scale. Which of course is tough now because IMO WoW went from a shitastic when it comes to quests as you can be to LOTRO level.

- it has real, meaningful and balanced real world pvp.

Mnemon-Corbantis on
    logo.png
    Empire - Veela Server
    edited January 2011
    In both cases their new concepts weren't what killed the games. instead of was a lack of content, a lack of polish, suspect decisions by their design teams and in Warhammer's severe case hardware issues.

And these are issues that Rift definitely does not have.
    IMO this game looks nice. the class system is intriguing. but at the end of the day i just finished a lvl 85 character in WoW so why would i leave the good stuff (end game) in WoW to go grind in Rift?

You wouldn't. They're pretty similar models, and if you want the end-game raiding thing you might want to stay with the game that you already like, are committed to and that has already been tested and released. I have no interest in WoW, but I like the model, so I am excited about Rift.

As for the other things you mention, Rift wasn't designed to be (1), and (2) and (3) don't exist in any game anyway. I honestly think that (4) is something that people who label themselves pvpers will always dream of but never reach, as it requires a ton of sheep to be successful (or a ton of grind to get to the top) and people just aren't up for that experience in mass numbers. So, while they'd be nice if they happened, and they might be your requirement to be excited by a game, I don't think they're really applicable to the general gaming population.

Ellthiteren on
    edited January 2011
    Honestly I think there are a lot of folks out there just hoping for something to come out that isn't a WoW clone. Just look at the first month sales for games like WAR and AoC that ultimately died (i believe WAR did 1 million sales and AoC over 800,000 in their first months).

What type of play styles should this game cater to? RP, pvp, character building, etc? A couple points make sense, but if every playstyle appears on promo material as 'amazing and wonderful' it just sounds like BS marketing hype.
    What makes this game fun after the second month playing it? After the sixth?
    Is the developer/publisher more concerned with getting boxed copies out of the door at release or making design decisions that will make sense for the type of world they are advertising?

sim on
  • sidhaethesidhaethe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Yeah, the thing to note here is that certainly not everyone is looking for the same thing in an MMO; some abhor sandboxes, or won't play anything with open-world PvP at all (nevermind FFA or full-loot pvp), some won't play WoW because it's ugly, but wouldn't object to a prettier version; some want more skill-based, or action-based combat while others despise it (insert console-kiddy slur here), some really do want to be a rigid-role CC-specialist and don't want the "dumbing down" - read: removal- of the holy trinity, etc. Yet others don't want developer-written story all up in their player-story-driven RPG (criticisms against GW2 and SWTOR abound in that direction).

No game can cater to all of these types, and "everyone who doesn't want to play WoW" doesn't fit into a general type, either. And so it is that it turns out my husband and I didn't like WoW and quit LOTRO within 2 months, but are enjoying Rift more than the other two games combined so far.

sidhaethe on
    edited January 2011
    I feel that a properly polished game that doesn't go too over the top with their marketing will remain viable for a long time (see: lotro, eve) - regardless of how it's marketed. WAR and AOC have taught us all to be extremely wary of bad marketing.

I enjoy interesting character building (skills). It actually took a little bit of digging to find out that Rift has this, as the marketing I've received is all focussed on how cool it is to have monsters spawn on you all the time.

sim on
    edited January 2011
    I wont be touching the PvP servers with a 50-foot-pole though. They describe it as "Rule of the Jungle" in terms of open world PvP, few guards and such... little penalties apparently and from the videos I've seen it looks like zergs will rule, and I honestly have got to say the community on the official RIFT forums is downright appalling in some cases.

Arthil on
  • DarkewolfeDarkewolfe Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    One clarifier, as I operated under this misconception for awhile too. AoC was not a failure. It just wasn't as big as people thought it would be. Honestly, if Rifts is as successful as AoC is, it will be reasonably successful. The biggest difference they might see is that they'll have fewer initial box sales, so that the subscriptions they eventually settle on won't be as drastically disparate.

Darkewolfe on
    What is this I don't even.
  • MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    I can't remember what server type I "voted" for on that form, but I want to say I chose PvE.

Having level 50's that get their jollies off by hanging around in low level areas killing me is just as frustrating as being level 50 and killing lowbies is boring.

In my experience, open world PvP where both parties are the same level and also one side isn't horribly outnumbered is so rare that it may as well not even be considered.

Maddoc on
    97H9G7S.png PSN - Masked Unit | FFXIV - Laitarne Gilgamesh
    edited January 2011
    More or less, I'm almost 100% certain those who scream and stomp and beg for an open world PvP system only want to run around overwhelming people with numbers rather than have to handle a small group battle, which I find far more compelling.

And again Maddoc jesus christ your signature.

Arthil on
  • BloodshedBloodshed I smoke my friends Down to the FilterRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    It's a shame this genre has moved to where the End-Game is the "point" of the game.

One of the things I loved about DDO was that I never felt rushed to get to the level cap, there were reasons to level, but there was still fun to be had where I was.

I sort of feel like WoW has made the end-game the absolute focus for mmo's. Now, gamers for the past 6 years have been spoon fed a game that's easy to play, because the game didn't "start' til you hit the level cap. Leveling is just a time sink we're forced to do now so we can get to the real meat of the game.

Other games in the past have had milestones while leveling where you could raid, do certain major questlines, etc. Implying that the focus of the game was your ongoing improvement to your character, in all ways. You had lots of mini-goals and side quests that kept you from staring at the level cap as the Ultimate Goal. I'm still convinced it's possible to make an MMO that the focus is character progression, but leveling is slow-paced, without feeling like a super grind, but it's highly possible I'm delusional.

Bloodshed on
    edited January 2011
    I've always just... played an MMO, doing my own things, figuring out what I liked. 'End-game' is something I've honestly never experienced in any other game than WoW, in some cases this is because I lost interest in others it's because I spent so much time focusing on stuff as I leveled.

Everquest 2 and LOTRO are both good examples of where I got caught up in the stuff I could do.

Arthil on
    edited January 2011
    EQ1, LOTRO and DDO are the prime ones where I didn't care much about hitting the level cap. Also, Lineage 2, but that was a super grind and hitting the cap was never a realistic expectation anyways =P

Bloodshed on
This discussion has been closed.