As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[RIFT] "All the beta keys you can eat"

• Options
    AddaAdda LondonRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Beta testing starts on the 3rd of December. So very excited about this!

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
    I want to know more PA people on Twitter.
  • Options
    The Dude With HerpesThe Dude With Herpes Lehi, UTRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I think you two are arguing from the same position over a mis-interpretation of the word "Perfect".

I didn't even see a response.

I don't think there was even an argument, goose just attacked something I clearly didn't say and then agreed with precisely what I did say.

So cool, I guess? :P

The Dude With Herpes on
    Steam: Galedrid - XBL: Galedrid - PSN: Galedrid
    Origin: Galedrid - Nintendo: Galedrid/3222-6858-1045
    Blizzard: Galedrid#1367 - FFXIV: Galedrid Kingshand

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Adda wrote: »

Have they sent out invites yet?

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    eelektrik wrote: »

Going out a few days before but if you have a VIP key you will be in all weekend tests.

Carved a pumpkin for mine and hopefully it was worth it :)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    eelektrik wrote: »

Going out a few days before but if you have a VIP key you will be in all weekend tests.

Carved a pumpkin for mine and hopefully it was worth it :)

Oh nice, that includes the PAX codes right? A kind soul gave me one through the forums and I applied it to my account a couple months ago, though I couldn't make it to PAX this year.

eelektrik on
    (She/Her)
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    yeah I think so, login and see if it says VIP.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    500 VIP beta keys posted up here Go Go quick quick quick

http://gamrfeed.vgchartz.com/story/82771/giveaway-rift-beta-keys/

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    wooooo scored #206

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    Shorn Scrotum ManShorn Scrotum Man Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They seem to be gone now :(

Shorn Scrotum Man on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    drunkenpandarendrunkenpandaren Slapping all the goblin ham In the top laneRegistered User regular
    edited November 2010
    Curse, Gamespot and someplace called Gamerzone have plenty of beta keys now.

drunkenpandaren on
    Origin: HaxtonWasHere
    Steam: pandas_gota_gun
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    Oh as an update a lot of these keys are just to increase your chances of getting into an event and not guaranteed ones. Still worth getting though :)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    They changed their name to just "Rift" now.

I think.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I'd say it's a better name. What the hell is a Telara supposed to be anyway? A telecommunications company? Is this a game about piloting their private jets?

I have a similar problem with Tera's subtitle. Just keep it short and simple, no one cares about Telara or Arborea or whatever.

reVerse on
  • Options
    A Flock of WalrusA Flock of Walrus For the Greater Good! Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    People were just going to shorten it to Rift anyhow, despite what other garbage they had tacked onto it.

"Rift: Planes of Telara, Adventures in Elemental exploration and Pwnage.."

"Dude, have you played Rift?"

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    In TERA's case though, it is an acronym, and the subtitle is the spelled out acronym.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    In TERA's case though, it is an acronym, and the subtitle is the spelled out acronym.

That's the thing, though: Tera is perfectly fine. The Exiled Realms of Arborea, fucking stupid. If you're gonna go to the trouble of making up a name that you can turn into an easy acronym, just use the acronym and leave the stupid, long part out of it.

reVerse on
  • Options
    Just_Bri_ThanksJust_Bri_Thanks Seething with rage from a handbasket.Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited November 2010
    I got tired of tilting at that windmill when I was in the Army working on PATRIOT missile launchers.

Edit: Although what you are saying is exactly what we did for obvious reasons, just HAVING the name be an acronym is equally stupid in my opinion.

Edit Edit: I mean really; some designer at Raytheon wanked themselves into unconsciousness after that bit of genius.

Just_Bri_Thanks on
    ...and when you are done with that; take a folding
    chair to Creation and then suplex the Void.
  • Options
    edited November 2010
    First playtest happening from the 3rd to the 6th, any one else involved and fancy grouping up?

Me and Louie will both be playing.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    was the music video posted?

http://www.riftgame.com/en/video/featured-rift-video-v4.html

It's mostly about the soundtrack but there's some footage in there as well

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    FryholeFryhole Registered User regular
    edited November 2010
    I was thinking the same things about the name as I just read the first post and learned about the game. It reminded me a lot of the EQ expansion 'Planes of Power' and just sounded really generic overall.

Fryhole on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Currently in the weekend beta. Gorgeous graphics that choke my machine. Way over crowded, but surprisingly polished. The "rift" events, "Tree/root" skill tree system, and multiple soul (class) design are really the only things that separate this from any other generic MMO. A LOT of people in chat are comparing it to Warhammer, which is a game I've never played.

But, obviously it's only beta and were playing lower levels.

Decoy on
  • Options
    Bendery It Like BeckhamBendery It Like Beckham Hopeless Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I had a key from pax, but i didn't make it in to the weekend beta.

"welp"

Bendery It Like Beckham on
  • Options
    DecoyDecoy Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    AoE looting is also something that is kinda nice.

Sadly though. The MMO genre is stale and any game that comes out is going to be very par for the course. So meh...

Decoy on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Gotta say, I checked out this MMO a while ago... thought it looked very very very mah. Then the other day I read the ign.com preview... WOW... they praised the shit out of it. Pretty much saying the videos don't do it justice at all.

So I looked deeper into it, and I gotta admit, I'm intrigued! Now the question in my mind is GW2 or Rift?

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Gotta say, I checked out this MMO a while ago... thought it looked very very very mah. Then the other day I read the ign.com preview... WOW... they praised the shit out of it. Pretty much saying the videos don't do it justice at all.

So I looked deeper into it, and I gotta admit, I'm intrigued! Now the question in my mind is GW2 or Rift?

Both pretty different with Rift being a more classical MMO, its probably one of those that you need to play both to decide. Not that that's a bad thing :)

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »

Both pretty different with Rift being a more classical MMO, its probably one of those that you need to play both to decide. Not that that's a bad thing :)

Ya I'm torn. I love the classical MMO set-up, I'm still looking for that one MMO to fill Everquest's shoes (challenging and immersive). BUT at the same time I'm more than open and welcoming to an MMO that really mixes it up.

So in the end it will come down to which is the better game. Hopefully one shines brighter then the other! If not I'm in for a tough call!

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

• Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Why a tough call? Play both. GW2 won't have a monthly subscription. So play it when you get burnt out on Rift.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    SkyCaptain wrote: »
    Why a tough call? Play both. GW2 won't have a monthly subscription. So play it when you get burnt out on Rift.

Ya, it might come to that. No monthly subscription makes GW a very flexible mmo.

Wishpig on

• Options
    DetharinDetharin Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Any word on the PVP content?

Detharin on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Detharin wrote: »
    Any word on the PVP content?

Not a lot out there yet, they will have some instanced stuff called warfronts and there is definitley open world pvp but no word on it having objectives instead of just being available.

Adda on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    So i've been playing this over the weekend.

Its alright. There is nothing about it that pushes the boundries of the genre. The PvE is horridly boring and bland. The quests are unoriginal and are literally "kill 10 rats" over and over and over.

The game looks great but still has some memory leaks to iron out.

The Rifts are basically public quests. They're all the exactly same so if you've done one of them, you've done them all.

The class system is fun but a lot of the classes have redundant skills. Most people are better off just sticking with one class and going further down that tree.

Not nearly as ground breaking as I had hoped.

A Flock of Walrus on
    PNA1v.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    You make me sad.

Wishpig on

• Options
    ArtereisArtereis Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    What a neat setting.

Artereis on
  • Options
    draw4wilddraw4wild Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I think it really depends how the soul system fleshes itself out that will decide if I like this game in the long run. As it is now it just seems that they're isn't enough points available to make any headway in two trees, nevermind three. It doesnt matter that I can have three souls if I have ti put all my points in 1 to be an effective character. It almost removes one of the biggest selling points of the game of a ton of different combinations if none of them reach the effectiveness of a less diverse more pigeon holed character

draw4wild on
  • Options
    ScosglenScosglen Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So i've been playing this over the weekend.

Its alright. There is nothing about it that pushes the boundries of the genre. The PvE is horridly boring and bland. The quests are unoriginal and are literally "kill 10 rats" over and over and over.

The game looks great but still has some memory leaks to iron out.

The Rifts are basically public quests. They're all the exactly same so if you've done one of them, you've done them all.

The class system is fun but a lot of the classes have redundant skills. Most people are better off just sticking with one class and going further down that tree.

Not nearly as ground breaking as I had hoped.

I agree with basically all of this.

We've played this game already, and it's not as polished as the mold from which it is cast. What's the point.

Scosglen on
  • Options
    ZzuluZzulu Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    it's a bit disappointing to hear that the rift system is just PQ's all over again

Zzulu on
    t5qfc9.jpg
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Although my opinions of the beta are similar to Walrus's, I'd like to mention that the game ran real nice on my not-so-good-anymore rig, most of the bugs I encountered I'd classify as "minor" and the two areas I saw looked nice and interesting. I really liked the class/talent system, but as Walrus mentioned, a lot of the abilities you get are redundant (weapon damage + X, weapon damage + X2, weapon damage + X2 but only after a parry or block etc.). It varies by class, of course, but that was my experience. After getting Druid as my secondary class I did obtain a fairy pet with a mildly useful heal-over-time spell, though, so there's some interesting stuff in there.

It's not a bad game, just generic. But it's a well made generic game, if that makes any sense.

reVerse on
  • Options
    KelrogKelrog Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I also played this over the weekend.
    Overall I think it has promise but as others have said it is not really breaking any new ground in the MMO genre.
    It's USP is that you can have upto three souls (classes), then buy alternative sets. I went Blade dancer/Rift Stalker - in one set I had 11 points in Blade dancer with the rest in Rift stalker, then in the other set all my points in Riftstalker, so with a click I could go from a melee dps guy to a reasonable off-tank.

Story good so far. Graphics ok to good depending on your rig, but I have to say they are resource hungry. Some people who can run AoC at High settings were getting low fps.
    You could think of the Rifts as WAR type PQ's but as they happen randomly and if left unchecked could start an invasion they have all world consequances so I thought they were a good idea.

Look me up in the next beta event - same name as forum name

Kelrog on
  • Options
    ErragalErragal Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    This game is certainly very deriviative in its' base mechanics and structures, as other people have mentioned. There aren't any groundbreaking game mechanics here by any means. My biggest issue: how some specific classes were just far too similar to their wow counterparts.

On the flip side a few of the classes are genuinely interesting and well thought out, and this combined with the large amounts of customization definitely has promise.

I had no problems running at ultra settings@ 1920x1080. I'm only running an OC'd Raddeon5770 on an AMD X4 so the system requirements are not that stringent for a game that looks as good as this one.

Even though the game is very derivative in function, the flavor and details are actually interesting enough that I want to keep playing. Story/setting/art in particular made the game feel refreshing even though I wasn't playing a brand new style of game. It also had far more polish and UI responsiveness than most MMO's do on release, much less during beta.

Erragal on
  • Options
    NisslNissl Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    scosglen wrote:
    We've played this game already, and it's not as polished as the mold from which it is cast. What's the point.

I'm not in beta, admittedly. What I have heard though is that the graphics are modernized, the polish level is as close as any game has gotten (especially considering its still closed beta), and that the classes diverge a bit more in later levels. And given Blizzard's content delivery speed, there is some space for a game like that to pick up subscribers during content lulls.

I'm not exactly hyped to jump in this game on day 1 but it's guaranteed I'll be checking it out sooner or later.

Nissl on
    360: Purkinje
This discussion has been closed.