I have a livebox that is a router supplied by my internet provider and every few months it decides to play up.
I got a new iPod today and thought I would try to get wifi working on it. To do this I suppoedly have to press a button the livebox that puts it in a seek mode allowing for new connections, and then enter my wep key and hopefully it should work.
It didn't, and it also stopped my main desktop (XP) from connecting properly. It finds the wireless, lets me connect and asks for the key, which I enter, and which it is happy with. I connect for a minute or so, during which time if I double click the connection icon I can see the signal jumping up and down. It has also apparently been connected for 15 minutes, even though I know it hasn't, not usably anyway. After a while it just disconnects itself.
I've turned the livebox on and off, the pc on and off, and connected numerous times to no avail. I can't even access my router settings by putting in my ip anymore.
The really annoying thing is I'm sitting next to my desktop typing this on a laptop, running vista, connected to the same wifi and everything is fine. Does anyone have any idea what is going on? It has happened before but I can't remember how it was fixed, I have the suspicion it just decided to start working again one day.
You may have to call your ISP and see if they can get into it from their end and help you with it. If you're confident in your abilities to set the router yourself, just have them shut off the encryption and stick around to make sure you can get into the router, then fix it yourself.
If you can, move to a WPA setup instead. A bit better encryption and you don't have to remember that long-ass key.
When you re-enable security, make sure MAC filtering is disabled and see if you can enable WPA instead of WEP.
EDIT: I can select only wpa, but that was the option it was on previously. Not sure about where to disable mac, having a look now