Options

[Gulf Coast Oil]: Spill, Baby Spill. Volunteer Info at the top of OP

• Options
    GungHoGungHo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    cyphr wrote: »
    You know, I am going to be so annoyed if 2012 really turns out to be the end of the world.

Time to start having indiscriminate sex.

GungHo on
  • Options
    MalkorMalkor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    He could hardly be worse, but W has been a surprisingly cogent ex-President.

Without Cheney pulling his strings you mean?

Malkor on
    14271f3c-c765-4e74-92b1-49d7612675f2.jpg
  • Options
    enlightenedbumenlightenedbum Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Malkor wrote: »

Yeah, basically. He was even all the way up to "poor" after the '06 midterms.

enlightenedbum on
    Self-righteousness is incompatible with coalition building.
  • Options
    ScooterScooter Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Yeah, basically. He was even all the way up to "poor" after the '06 midterms.

I think around 2006 he began to realize he'd fucked up, and if he couldn't do good, at least tried to do less harm. Which isn't to say he didn't manage some harm from 06-08. But it got to the point where he actually looked good compared to McCain/Palin (at least from the perspective of it being all Palin halfway on).

Scooter on
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I've heard more than once that GWB is well aware of his unpopular presidency.

The thing is, he doesn't have anywhere to go politically anymore. He doesn't have to play to score those points. So when he makes a statement regarding this oil situation like that, I'm inclined to believe him on it.

Henroid on
  • Options
    autono-wally, erotibot300autono-wally, erotibot300 love machine Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    a bag of rabid koalas with aids would've looked better than palin/mccain though

autono-wally, erotibot300 on
    kFJhXwE.jpgkFJhXwE.jpg
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Rabid... koalas?

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    MachismoMachismo Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    a bag of rabid koalas with aids would've looked better than palin/mccain though

McCain would have done pretty well without Palin. He probably could have chosen anyone with reasonably moderate views and become president.

Back to the oil.
    So 4 hours in and no reduction in flow, although it looks VERY different now.

Machismo on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rabid... koalas?

gtotem_koala.jpg
    "STOP FUCKING DRILLING FOR OIL. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Edit - "Also I have AIDS."

Henroid on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Henroid wrote: »
    Rabid... koalas?

dropbears1.jpg
    "STOP FUCKING DRILLING FOR OIL. RAAAAAAAAAAAAAH"

Edit - "Also I have AIDS."

Couscous on
  • Options
    BubbaTBubbaT Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

It must be T. Boone Pickens who has his ear now. Pickens was one of W's biggest contributors, and spent all of 2008 swamping TV with commercials promoting wind power.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Demiurge wrote: »
    Spacemilk wrote: »
    Thirdly, this was supposed to be a controlled test. How do you fuck up a controlled test when, in theory, you have a bunch of people watching and ready to respond? Unacceptable.

Chernobyl? :P
    I was actually going to make a Chernobyl comment in my original post but thought it might be Godwinning a little :P After all, this incident was a test on how the thing would do when off the grid; wasn't that PRECISELY what they were testing in Chernobyl? (I may be thinking of something else though haha) If that's the case it's even more hilarious...

To make Chernobyl happen they had to disable something like 600 safety systems, and have a poorly designed control rod system AND have the two operators in the room fail to say a word to each other as they were independantly managing what they thought was a problem only on their side (so they worked against each other).

It's an excellent example of everything you don't do when you're testing something.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So the gushing on this feed seems to be worse, and we're supposed to know whether or not the top kill thing is working "soon" according to Wolfman Blitzer on CNN.

edit: BP guy sounds shaken

MKR on
  • Options
    AurinAurin Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Looking on CNN, they're saying that it'll be 24 hours or something until they can tell that it worked?

I don't quite understand that... if the oil is still gushing out the hole after you're done dumping stuff into it... it's not working! Right?

Aurin on
  • Options
    MKRMKR Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Aurin wrote: »
    Looking on CNN, they're saying that it'll be 24 hours or something until they can tell that it worked?

I don't quite understand that... if the oil is still gushing out the hole after you're done dumping stuff into it... it's not working! Right?

BP guy needs time to flee to BP's secret volcano fortress.

MKR on
  • Options
    Best AmericaBest America __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Aurin wrote: »

They need to maintain containment beyond whatever the injury threshold of the BOP is while the contents of the reservoir shift into the most stable physical configuration. A reservoir subject to blowout is not a closed system; a properly-done top-kill is, but the integrity of the seal can only be checked on-the-fly, as well as what's happening in the reservoir.

On the simplest level, they use content and velocity of the eject alongside known variables ("how much energy are we pumping the mud at") to ascertain when they've created a seal and then how variable the force against that seal is. As the reservoir repressurizes and its contents shuffle towards the most stable configuration, that variation will subside.

By the nature of it, there's no way of them knowing when it's been a success. The only barometer they have is observing it for long enough that it's a statistical certainty that it's been a success, which necessarily creates a long observation period even after everything checks out okay.

Best America on
    right you got it
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah statistical certainty. The worst kind of certainty.

enc0re on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    WASHINGTON — A top BP worker who was aboard the Deepwater Horizon in the hours leading up to the explosion declined to testify in front of a federal panel investigating the deadly oil rig blowout, telling the U.S Coast Guard he was invoking his constitutional right to avoid self-incrimination.

Hm...

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    PerpetualPerpetual Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    AegisAegis Fear My Dance Overshot Toronto, Landed in OttawaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Transocean & BP are sure doing a good job not dispelling the Evil Corporation image they seem to have inherited.

Aegis on
    We'll see how long this blog lasts
    Currently DMing: None :(
    Characters
    [5e] Dural Melairkyn - AC 18 | HP 40 | Melee +5/1d8+3 | Spell +4/DC 12
  • Options
    enc0reenc0re Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    WASHINGTON — A top BP worker who was aboard the Deepwater Horizon in the hours leading up to the explosion declined to testify in front of a federal panel investigating the deadly oil rig blowout, telling the U.S Coast Guard he was invoking his constitutional right to avoid self-incrimination.

Hm...

Come on. We all know the drill.

If you haven't watched this, you seriously must.

enc0re on
  • Options
    CouscousCouscous Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    BP, though, had ultimate authority over drilling decisions, and Brown said in sworn testimony Wednesday that the BP official at the meeting stood up and said, "This is how it's going to be."

The BP official, a "company man" in industry parlance, would have been the top decision-maker on the rig, although his role may have been complicated by having a number of higher-ranking BP officials on hand to celebrate the Deepwater Horizon's safety record.
    Ha ha ha.

Couscous on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    enc0re wrote: »

Hm...

It'd be great if this was taught in civics class in highschool.

Then again it'd be great if we had a mandatory civics class in highschool.

override367 on
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    GungHo wrote: »
    You know, I am going to be so annoyed if 2012 really turns out to be the end of the world.

Time to start having indiscriminate sex.
    Way ahead of you.

Hoz on
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Couscous wrote: »
    BP, though, had ultimate authority over drilling decisions, and Brown said in sworn testimony Wednesday that the BP official at the meeting stood up and said, "This is how it's going to be."

The BP official, a "company man" in industry parlance, would have been the top decision-maker on the rig, although his role may have been complicated by having a number of higher-ranking BP officials on hand to celebrate the Deepwater Horizon's safety record.
    Ha ha ha.

Oops.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    DrakeDrake Edgelord Trash Below the ecliptic plane.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's almost farcical.

Drake on
  • Options
    Darkchampion3dDarkchampion3d Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    enc0re wrote: »

Hm...

It'd be great if this was taught in civics class in highschool.

Then again it'd be great if we had a mandatory civics class in highschool.

That video is pretty awesome and after seeing it should I ever be accused of anything ever, I will never talk to the police.

the-more-you-know.jpg

Darkchampion3d on
    Our country is now taking so steady a course as to show by what road it will pass to destruction, to wit: by consolidation of power first, and then corruption, its necessary consequence --Thomas Jefferson
  • Options
    RoyceSraphimRoyceSraphim Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone else think this is a black mutant trying to make the world very small? I heard he had an M on one of his eyes and was mentioning something about a cyborg and a read headed baby.

edit: on a second pass, I realize I should point out I was making a joke about
    Sticking to the topic, how long a time frame are we looking at for the fallout, 10 years, 20 years?

RoyceSraphim on
  • Options
    SchrodingerSchrodinger Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That video is pretty awesome and after seeing it should I ever be accused of anything ever, I will never talk to the police.

the-more-you-know.jpg

That video seems interesting, but does it also apply to minorities?

Schrodinger on
  • Options
    SkyCaptainSkyCaptain IndianaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

the-more-you-know.jpg

To everyone. It applies to everyone, regardless of race.

SkyCaptain on
    The RPG Bestiary - Dangerous foes and legendary monsters for D&D 4th Edition
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Reaaaally depends on the mental stability of the cops and whether they're armed with tasers or not.

enlightenedbum on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Rust wrote: »

all standin around on the oil-reddened seas

volcanoes firing off in the background, spewing toxic gases and blazing stones in the air 'midst the sound of thunder

as soot-faced women weep and clutch their lifeless children to their bosoms, you cross your arms and frown

"this is some fucking bullshit"

Hee.

So It Goes on
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Reaaaally depends on the mental stability of the cops and whether they're armed with tasers or not.

For the actual arrest yes, but for when you get to court it's invaluable as fuck

override367 on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

the-more-you-know.jpg

I believe the "minority" version is worded a bit differently.

Stop Snitching

BubbaT on
  • Options
    Dr Mario KartDr Mario Kart Games Dealer Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I dont go around assuming that all problems have solutions. Isnt it possible that fixing this is beyond the current capacity of man and we're just going to have to let this thing run until its tapped?

Dr Mario Kart on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    *Points a gun at Dr. Mario*

It's beyond my capacity to stop this now.

L|ama on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I dont go around assuming that all problems have solutions. Isnt it possible that fixing this is beyond the current capacity of man and we're just going to have to let this thing run until its tapped?

No, there is a proven solution. Drilling relief wells is a proven fix. The experimental stuff is based on trying to stop the spill before August.

BubbaT on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    ...I'm not at all an expert, but a few friends of mine whom I could describe as such are saying that this is the "stupidest idea ever."

The 'Top Kill', that is.

According to what I've been told:

The oil that's gushing out of the pipe at whatever arbitrarily large volume is being 'pumped', right now, by the weight of the ocean water sitting on top of it. Not only would your drilling mud have to be somehow pumped against all of this pressure to start with, and your cement cap have to somehow hold against it, but the piping itself would have to withstand the pressure of the two forces shoving against each other (the water wants to displace the oil, the pipe wants to stop the displacement. You're talking about a mile of ocean water; guess who's going to win that contest?)

If it's likely to do anything, it's create another explosion when the pipe breaches due to the enormous pressures being exerted on it.

Now, that's all just hearsay, and I hope that this monster is finally slain - but I trust the guys I've talked to more than I trust BP, and so I have a Very Bad Feeling About This.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    And your friends' areas of expertise are?

L|ama on
  • Options
    The EnderThe Ender Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Engineering & geology, respectively (only two qualifications worth having in this miserable province as far as getting a decent paycheck is concerned, but that's another story).

Like I said, I myself don't know anything other than that I would like the oil to stop spilling plz, but I thought I'd pass the word along. Apparently we'll all know by tomorrow regardless.

Fingers crossed.

The Ender on
    With Love and Courage
This discussion has been closed.