As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[chat] For The Ages

• Options
    SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sarksus wrote: »
    I just lost my first placement match. I think I was doing pretty well, I had four Warp Gates and my economy was strong, I managed to repel his pushes and I was going to his base when I came upon a big group of marauders that fucked me up. That was disappointing because if I was a little better I could have won. I'll have to watch the replay.

How late in the match were you? It used to be a pretty viable option that if you could push 3 or 4 zealots early you could do a lot of damage before the other player was able to get much in the way of resources (killing their workers).

All my knowledge is based on sc1, which btw, do people who played both know if it plays similar, strat wise at least?

I probably took too long, I dunno. I had time enough to get a robotics factory up with two Immortals. Maybe I wasn't fast enough. Dude had a lot of marauders.

Yeah, I mean all "advanced strats" aside, the biggest thing in SC is getting good at a build order. I guess that's what these placement matches are for, but you kind of need to "open", much like you would in a game of chess. The second to second configurations and calculations are overkill, imo, but to get better you're going to need to have your first few build orders laid out from the start. Starcraft is only "broken" in the sense that taking the time to build up to your strongest units isn't usually a viable strategy.

Well I pretty much know what to build at the very beginning. I just don't know how long I should take to build units before rushing and after that I'm still working on late-game builds.

Basically at the very beginning I focus on my economy, building as many workers as I can. As soon as I hit my supply cap, 10, I build a pylon and a gateway and then once they're finished I build my gas and the cybernetics core and then gateways gateways gateways and then I upgrade them to warp gates and after that the war machine is fucking rolling.

rule 31 of SC(prolly the same in SC2): start building shit before you need it. That pylon should be building before you hit your pop cap.

I knoow but I like to use it as a reminder and I knooow I should do it sooner and sometimes I do it depends on if I'm paying attention to my supply.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Preacher wrote: »
    Jesus the immigration thread is so full of dumb we should check their paperwork to make sure they properly immigrated from dunceistan.

We could just merge the racism thread and the immigration thread for easier debating.

Lock'em all let god sort'em out. It's just funny to me that most likely white males who have never left the country and have a skin tone of that of casper, are saying how meritous the law is. Because those damn illegals are taking our jorbs.

That one right wing guy I talk about in here from time to time? The one that I almost punched last time?

He thinks this law "finally makes everyone equal".

Let me guess white? Look I'm white as the day is long, have nothing to fear from ever wanting to go arizona accidentally. This law is so backwards its hard to imagine how daft you'd have to be to think that forcing people to carry ID EVERYWHERE THEY GO! Is ok.

But the best part? You can sue the police FOR NOT ENFORCING THE LAW! That's right you saw a messican they weren't hassling? Well call your lawyer boy thats sueable!

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Podly wrote: »
    Variable wrote: »
    Podly wrote: »
    podly I played so much bad chess in the last 2 weeks.

oh man, I've totally slacked off. I haven't done a chess puzzle in like three weeks and I've only played two games, both of which I lost.

GRUMBLE!

gotta remember to add chess on my to-do lists.

do you have a website or book you use?

a couple of books

I wrote the book on chess

Variable on
    BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    pods

those last like 6 images

are why i love you and will love you forever

one might say

that i

ee i

will always love you

MikeMan on
  • Options
    JacobkoshJacobkosh Gamble a stamp. I can show you how to be a real man!Moderator mod
    edited April 2010
    My suggestion for the posse name:

The True Scotsmen

--
    now for some GTAIV! Back in a while, folks.

Jacobkosh on
  • Options
    stevemarks44stevemarks44 Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    What the what? 2 gigs of RAM minimum requirements? Ugh, poor old macbook pro. Please just pretend that you can run sc2. Just pretend for me.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    MikeMan wrote: »
    pods

those last like 6 images

one might say

that i

ee i

will always love you

So he posts hair bands and you reply with a dolly parton song? Mike you are dissapoint.

Preacher on
    I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Sheep wrote: »
    Jesus the immigration thread is so full of dumb we should check their paperwork to make sure they properly immigrated from dunceistan.

We could just merge the racism thread and the immigration thread for easier debating.

Lock'em all let god sort'em out. It's just funny to me that most likely white males who have never left the country and have a skin tone of that of casper, are saying how meritous the law is. Because those damn illegals are taking our jorbs.

That one right wing guy I talk about in here from time to time? The one that I almost punched last time?

He thinks this law "finally makes everyone equal".

Let me guess white? Look I'm white as the day is long, have nothing to fear from ever wanting to go arizona accidentally. This law is so backwards its hard to imagine how daft you'd have to be to think that forcing people to carry ID EVERYWHERE THEY GO! Is ok.

But the best part? You can sue the police FOR NOT ENFORCING THE LAW! That's right you saw a messican they weren't hassling? Well call your lawyer boy thats sueable!

This sheriff has decided that since he's gonna get sued anyway, you might as well be sued for not being a racist douchebag.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010

Bill Clinton had an interesting take on it recently. He said we should increase immigration a lot since we are an "agining nation" to increase tax revenue to pay down the national debt and to pay for entitlements for those old leeches.

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    pods

those last like 6 images

one might say

that i

ee i

will always love you

So he posts hair bands and you reply with a dolly parton song? Mike you are dissapoint.

You can't fault Mike though, you know what they say:

Every rose has its thorn.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LaOs wrote: »
    James wrote: »
    LaOs I know 60GB sounds like a lot, but if you watch videos online and that sort of stuff you re going to blow through it. I think the bandwidth cap would be the deal killer.

Well, ignoring the cap, do those speeds sound adequate?

I added an edit, but I don't stream anything to my machine and I don't torrent. I would think the most intense use would be multiplayer 360 gaming.

Ignoring the cap, yes those sound good. Also multiplayer gaming, with the advent of voice chat is gonna eat up bandwidth. Get uncapped service man.

Well, that's good to know, at least.

I don't know if there is uncapped service available.

I'll have to call the phone company I guess--I hate how their features are not clearly listed.

yes i am not aware of any uncapped internet in Canada, at least not through any of the major companies

though i think we have a 100GB limit with shaw, and that works out just fine for a household with two 360s, a PS3, and a few computers

Dang... I was hoping you'd had the 60GB limit with Shaw so I'd know for sure... I don't know that I need the increased speed going up to the 15 Mbps Extreme from the 7.5 Mbps High Speed. It IS only $10/month more though...

Do you have TV and Phone with Shaw too, or just the standalone 'net?

our tv is with shaw
    Ah, I was just going to see what other "fees" and hidden charges you faced with Shaw, but it might be different on account of you bundling the TV as well. I would just be getting the internet (damn do I hate how you get hosed if you don't bundle).

by bundling you "save" by buying more services, which raises your overall cost

if you have tv or phone with anyone already, i would suggest bundling your internet with them

if you're just buying internet, the $45-55 a month really isn't terrible :P

James on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    pods

those last like 6 images

one might say

that i

ee i

will always love you

talk dirty to me

enhanced-buzz-22296-1272556777-8.jpg

Podly on
    follow my music twitter soundcloud tumblr
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    JustinSane07JustinSane07 Really, stupid? Brockton__BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    Fucking hair bands. Set music back 20 years.

JustinSane07 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

This sheriff has decided that since he's gonna get sued anyway, you might as well be sued for not being a racist douchebag.

I saw that, but much like Maddox and Peta, I'm sure Sherrif Silly Goose will capture 3 times the legal citizens to make up for that. And shove them in his prisons where they will die of either heat exhaustion or poor conditions.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oh hey, it's Var. Hey Var.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    oh shit! I forgot I missed the episode II review. shit yes.

that will come after Lost. and some Yankees... and actually Jesus Christ Superstar at my old high school.

Variable on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Queen had some good hair.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    PodlyPodly you unzipped me! it's all coming back! i don't like it!Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    enhanced-buzz-22449-1272560873-7.jpg

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Mercury's mustache was god damn legendary.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh hey, it's Var. Hey Var.

hey ab

how you doon

Variable on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Mercury's mustache was god damn legendary.

God I would fuck that mustache.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Oooh god so much blood.

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    enhanced-buzz-22452-1272556794-6.jpg

Podly on
    9pr1GIh.jpg?1
  • Options
    MikeManMikeMan Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jesus Christ Superstar
    is the best thing ever and i will hear no argument

MikeMan on
  • Options
    CommunistCowCommunistCow Abstract Metal ThingyRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    poldy what the hell is wrong with you. Is it "lets post horrible hair band pictures for no goddamn reason every 8 posts" day?

CommunistCow on
    No, I am not really communist. Yes, it is weird that I use this name.
  • Options
    TavTav Irish Minister for DefenceRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Fucking hair bands. Set music back 20 years.

Says the guy who listens to punk rock.

Tav on
  • Options
    NocturneNocturne Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Jesus Christ Superstar

You know I've never seen it.

Nocturne on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jesus Christ Superstar

I mean it's really Nothin' But A Good Time, from what I hear.

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Jesus Christ Superstar

and my cousin's band is providing the music (bass, guitar, and drums anyway).

fuck yeah. I'm gonna miss the beginning half tonight and saturday but I'll take it all in tomorrow.

Variable on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited April 2010
    day-amigos.jpg

Sheep on
  • Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    LaOs I know 60GB sounds like a lot, but if you watch videos online and that sort of stuff you re going to blow through it. I think the bandwidth cap would be the deal killer.

Well, ignoring the cap, do those speeds sound adequate?

I added an edit, but I don't stream anything to my machine and I don't torrent. I would think the most intense use would be multiplayer 360 gaming.

Ignoring the cap, yes those sound good. Also multiplayer gaming, with the advent of voice chat is gonna eat up bandwidth. Get uncapped service man.

Well, that's good to know, at least.

I don't know if there is uncapped service available.

I'll have to call the phone company I guess--I hate how their features are not clearly listed.

yes i am not aware of any uncapped internet in Canada, at least not through any of the major companies

though i think we have a 100GB limit with shaw, and that works out just fine for a household with two 360s, a PS3, and a few computers

Dang... I was hoping you'd had the 60GB limit with Shaw so I'd know for sure... I don't know that I need the increased speed going up to the 15 Mbps Extreme from the 7.5 Mbps High Speed. It IS only $10/month more though...

Do you have TV and Phone with Shaw too, or just the standalone 'net?

our tv is with shaw
    Ah, I was just going to see what other "fees" and hidden charges you faced with Shaw, but it might be different on account of you bundling the TV as well. I would just be getting the internet (damn do I hate how you get hosed if you don't bundle).

by bundling you "save" by buying more services, which raises your overall cost

if you have tv or phone with anyone already, i would suggest bundling your internet with them

if you're just buying internet, the $45-55 a month really isn't terrible :P

Oh, I know all about the "bundling" and were I actually getting another service, I'd be fine with it.

But, I just am getting the internet. I won't have a landline and don't watch television really. I actually won't have a TV, but all this RDR talk has got me thinking about a TV and a 360 (I've always been partial to getting one but haven't felt much pull for it lately).

I was more just wondering about what other "dings" I might get hit with to just go in my imaginary budget.

It's pretty cool times for me, I guess, since I just bought my first condo and will be moving in on June 2nd.

LaOs on
  • Options
    firewaterwordfirewaterword Satchitananda Pais Vasco to San FranciscoRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Cheap white wiiiiiiine! I saw you standing aloooooone!

firewaterword on
    Lokah Samastah Sukhino Bhavantu
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    poldy what the hell is wrong with you. Is it "lets post horrible hair band pictures for no goddamn reason every 8 posts" day?

He's in mourning Rock of Love got canceled.

[tiny] Not enough heart to go around... BARACUDA! [/tiny]

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I feel kind of ridiculous. Starcraft 2 wasn't on my radar at all and to be honest I thought I wouldn't like it because I'm used to RTS games that focus on the units instead of bases and economy. But this is like a thing now. I am watching commentary and replays and I'm GONNA BE THE BEST THERE EVER WASSSS.

Sarksus on
  • Options
    ThomamelasThomamelas Only one man can kill this many Russians. Bring his guitar to me! Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Thomamelas wrote: »

I saw that, but much like Maddox and Peta, I'm sure Sherrif Silly Goose will capture 3 times the legal citizens to make up for that. And shove them in his prisons where they will die of either heat exhaustion or poor conditions.

I'm hoping that one day one of his deputies attempts to seize power by shooting him.

Thomamelas on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I feel kind of ridiculous. Starcraft 2 wasn't on my radar at all and to be honest I thought I wouldn't like it because I'm used to RTS games that focus on the units instead of bases and economy. But this is like a thing now. I am watching commentary and replays and I'm GONNA BE THE BEST THERE EVER WASSSS.

There's a reason that people STILL play the first one. Game is dope as fuck. 8-)

stevemarks44 on
  • Options
    JamesJames Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    oh, i dont think you get dinged anything except for the higher product cost

but like you said, its only $10 more, much cheaper than if you were buying tv+phone

might want to read their terms and conditions, or give them a call, though

James on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Starcraft does nothing for me, I play an RTS like watching porn, about 5 minutes in I'm bored with it.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    Aroused BullAroused Bull Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I am really terrible at RTS. I just turtle and wait to get curb stomped.

Aroused Bull on
  • Options
    edited April 2010

ridiculous is that I was doing that for weeks with no access to the game whatsoever.

but also what you said is ridiculous

sarks the ridiculous

we will fight in sc2 world soon.

Variable on
This discussion has been closed.