As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Free Comics Book Day! (This saturday, 5/1)

• Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    That was pretty cool. The major comic shop around here rents a church hall for FCBD, and their giveaways weren't limited to the special free issues for the day - they had tables full of back issues of various comics, and everyone could take up to 25. The lineup to get in was out the door and down the street which kinda sucked, but I met Beavo in line which did not suck. There were a bunch of artists in the back doing sketches, but after people started putting their Darwyn Cooke sketches on ebay they started only doing them for kids. I didn't see who was there, but a friend saw Cooke go in, and Beav thought Kate Beaton and Steve McNiven would be there as well.

yes! that was rad, although i didn't meet any cool folks i did manage to get a couple issues of locke & key along w/ the tick, conan, 100 bullets and some other stuff. the kids there made waiting in line way easier, tiny batman and a little jedi wearing a leather jacket were adorable.

I didn't see the tick! goddamnit.

Beav got a picture of a minature Darth Maul that was the cutest, and there was kid dressed up as The Thing which was totally awesome. If you saw Prince Valiant walking around, that was either my upstairs neighbour or his friend. I like the sound of the shirt they're planning on selling to raise money for a statue.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    ShakesbeardShakesbeard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    That was pretty cool. The major comic shop around here rents a church hall for FCBD, and their giveaways weren't limited to the special free issues for the day - they had tables full of back issues of various comics, and everyone could take up to 25. The lineup to get in was out the door and down the street which kinda sucked, but I met Beavo in line which did not suck. There were a bunch of artists in the back doing sketches, but after people started putting their Darwyn Cooke sketches on ebay they started only doing them for kids. I didn't see who was there, but a friend saw Cooke go in, and Beav thought Kate Beaton and Steve McNiven would be there as well.

yes! that was rad, although i didn't meet any cool folks i did manage to get a couple issues of locke & key along w/ the tick, conan, 100 bullets and some other stuff. the kids there made waiting in line way easier, tiny batman and a little jedi wearing a leather jacket were adorable.

Beav got a picture of a minature Darth Maul that was the cutest, and there was kid dressed up as The Thing which was totally awesome. If you saw Prince Valiant walking around, that was either my upstairs neighbour or his friend. I like the sound of the shirt they're planning on selling to raise money for a statue.

the kid in the Thing costume got applause as he entered the building, it was amazing.
    i did see prince valiant, that guy was pretty hilarious.

http://yfrog.com/cauqnj

he's right in the centre of the picture here, also hey there's me in the grey. what is this shirt you speak of?

Shakesbeard on
  • Options
    UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010

the kid in the Thing costume got applause as he entered the building, it was amazing.
    i did see prince valiant, that guy was pretty hilarious.

http://yfrog.com/cauqnj

he's right in the centre of the picture here, also hey there's me in the grey. what is this shirt you speak of?

Not sure if PV hit you with their pitch/brochure, but they're trying to get a statue of Prince Valiant raised, as Hal Foster was from Halifax. One of the things they're planning to help raise money is a T-shirt with the Prince Valiant logo (red horse head on a shield, like the tabard he was wearing).

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    FaynorFaynor Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Moore's run wasn't bad, it was Ramos' art that didn't really fit at all

Immonen's run is bad though, which is a shame because her Hellcat mini ruled

nope moore's run was pretty bad

Faynor on
    do you wanna see me eat a hotdog
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I picked up Atomic Robo, War of the Supermen, Irredeemable, and Iron Man/Thor. Unfortunately, my local shop was out of The Tick. :(

I also bought a complete set of Final Crisis Aftermath: Dance (for $10) and a copy of Marvel Her-oes (since I've been hearing good things about it, despite the crappy name).

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    BelruelBelruel NARUTO FUCKS Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man I want to go get comics, but I am stuck up in my boyfriend's house today (he lives in the middle of a canyon community) and he is at work until 7, and I don't have a car to drive. UGH.

Belruel on
    vmn6rftb232b.png
  • Options
    Desktop HippieDesktop Hippie Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    My LCS only had the Marvel, DC and Dynamite stuff. A shame, as I like having a look at what other, smaller publishers are releasing. I did take the opportunity to catch up on some recent Marvel stuff. I am so very behind in my comics.

Desktop Hippie on
  • Options
    DrIanMalcolmDrIanMalcolm Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man my shop didn't have any kind of sale, but I still picked up the first volume of Thor by JMS, The Annotated Mantooth, 1985, the last two issues of the first volume of Ultimate Comics Avengers, and the Free Comic Book Day issue of Thor/Iron Man

DrIanMalcolm on
  • Options
    Robos A Go GoRobos A Go Go Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I got Essential Daredevil, Priest's Black Panther trade, an Untold Tales of Spider-Man trade, and Spider-Man's Tangled Web volume 2, all from a discount trades bin. Also got 10 free back issues, though I'm still jealous of you guys who got 25 and got to see cool artists. The dude who was coming to New England Comics at Cambridge was Ron Marz, writer for Witchblade and the dude responsible for the Women in Refrigerators meme. I'd have gotten him to sign a magnet if I had one, but I didn't feel like waiting for him to show up otherwise.

Robos A Go Go on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I didn't actually get to see them (except Beavs)! It was crowded as hell around the artist tables, and I didn't have anything to get signed (and they mainly just do sketches for kids*). Halifax has a surprising amount of awesome art talent here though.

*=my neighbour who was dressed up as Prince Valiant had a few people draw him though.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I went to Free Comic Book Day and the girl behind the register was all "Haven't seen you here in awhile, how've you been?"

And I was like "Shit. You remember me? I've been here maybe 4 times and the last one was over a year ago."

I felt kinda guilty for not supporting my local comic-book shop but I don't gots no moooney.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I've been thinking about setting up a subscription/box at my LCS, but the main one I go to requires 10 monthly titles to set one up. I might be able to come up with 5 ongoings that I want, no way there's 10.

I might try one of the smaller competing shops in the area to see if they're more flexible.

UnbrokenEva on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Someone in Seattle go get some free comics for me and deliver them.

I'll buy you a beer (21+ only).

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    edited May 2010
    I went to Free Comic Book Day and the girl behind the register was all "Haven't seen you here in awhile, how've you been?"

And I was like "Shit. You remember me? I've been here maybe 4 times and the last one was over a year ago."

I felt kinda guilty for not supporting my local comic-book shop but I don't gots no moooney.

i swear comic shop workers have the best memory for faces

i haven't been to this one shop in over four years and even then i wasn't there a lot, but when I was at Wizard World Philly browsing their booth the guy was like "hey keith how have you been"

i was like 'whaaaaat"

of course, i'm also the most important person in the world

Garlic Bread on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think the girl behind the counter remembered me because when I'm being friendly it sometimes comes across as flirting.

She doesn't look like she gets a lot of prospects so she probably appreciated it.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    Sars_BoySars_Boy Rest, You Are The Lightning. Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Tonkka wrote: »

dang tonkka

you almost had yourself a deal

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Sars_Boy wrote: »

dang tonkka

You can meet me in the alley behind the bar.

I'll toss a PBR over the fence, you throw the comics over.

Wait, you're an LCB officer aren't you?

Tonkka on
    Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I think the girl behind the counter remembered me because when I'm being friendly it sometimes comes across as flirting.

She doesn't look like she gets a lot of prospects so she probably appreciated it.

o...oh. oh.

:(

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

dang tonkka

You can meet me in the alley behind the bar.

I'll toss a PBR over the fence, you throw the comics over.

Wait, you're an LCB officer aren't you?

what does that mean?

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    he wants to know if you're a Lesbian Comic Book officer

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Liquor. Control. Board.

Waitaminute...

You are good.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Faynor wrote: »
    he wants to know if you're a Lesbian Comic Book officer
    yes how much

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i would be if i actually was one of those !

Sars_Boy on
  • Options
    edited May 2010

o...oh. oh.

:(

Just kidding Faynor.

Plus that was a mean thing to say about that girl and I am sure comic-book-shoppers hit on her all the time.

I don't know why I said that.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    I know why you said it

'cause you're mean

Faynor on
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    i would be if i actually was one of those !

Oh I am not falling into this trap.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh man I spent 40+ dollars on comics today.

Y: Last Man vol 7 (God this is the biggest investment I've made since Cable/Deadpool)

Captain America: Man with no face (I like Bucky okay)

Secret Warriors Vol 1

OH MY GOD YOU GUYS SECRET WARRIORS IS AWESOME

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    CorporateLogoCorporateLogo The toilet knows how I feelRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Moore's run wasn't bad, it was Ramos' art that didn't really fit at all

Immonen's run is bad though, which is a shame because her Hellcat mini ruled

nope moore's run was pretty bad

wrong

CorporateLogo on
    Do not have a cow, mortal.

c9PXgFo.jpg
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah i foolishly spent way too much on comics today

bought the hardcover edition of volume one of powers

and the first volume of 100 bullets and the third volume of ex machina

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Wow, how did I never know that the guy who created The Tick is from my home state and, furthermore, published all the Tick comics through my local comic-book shop's publishing label?

That's rad!

Anyone else get Tick comics for FCBD or was this just a New England Comics thing?
    edit: Oh, okay it's in the OP but it's still produced by NEC Press which is awesome!

TankHammer on
  • Options
    RedeemerRedeemer Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ernf

15gtv06.jpg

Basically I used Free Comic Day to catch up on Wolverine First Class

Redeemer on
    25jyxzr.jpg
  • Options
    MugginsMuggins Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh god dammit I didn't see the Iron Man/Nova one at my shop.

Muggins on
    BdVvFJu.jpg
    hey satan...: thinkgeek amazon My post |
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Man, that 's quite a haul.

Stupid work.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    SnowbeatSnowbeat i need something to kick this thing's ass over the lineRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    i asked for the iron man/nova comic but apparently the clerk forgot to put it in the bag

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    i asked for the iron man/nova comic but apparently the clerk forgot to put it in the bag

It involves a high-security zoo that houses animals with special powers, including a trio of apes with above-average intelligence.

TankHammer on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    snowbeat, what shop do you go to?

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    past present future, down off of okeechobee

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    Snowbeat wrote: »
    past present future, down off of okeechobee

She's okeedokee.

Tonkka on
  • Options
    FutoreFutore Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    yeah that's where i figured. that place is pretty great. they don't have too many super cool sales, but they have great selection and they do some pretty decent Buy One Get One deals every once in a while.

also you can watch andres and blaine play magic there, so...

Futore on
    ETqXK.png
  • Options
    edited May 2010
    ahahaha, they play magic there?

this is too much

Snowbeat on
    Q1e6oi8.gif