As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Flying and airports and things

• Options
    DodgeBlanDodgeBlan PSN: dodgeblanRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    #pipe wrote: »
    DodgeBlan wrote: »
    No thanks to de plane... many of us are still... ALIVE

That makes a lot more sense given the context.

DodgeBlan on
    Read my blog about AMERICA and THE BAY AREA

https://medium.com/@alascii
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I don't fly a lot, but I have consistently traveled on planes since I was about 16 for one reason or another. For a while it was because we moved away from family and friends and I would fly down to see them or for weddings/funerals/family gatherings. Then I got a job with the government and they love to send you on trips to seminars and training. And now I have a job that specifically states "25% travel".

I dislike how every year it seems like there's another hoop you have to jump through in the security line. I love getting off the plane in a new airport, trying to pick up on different accents or styles.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    HunterHunter Chemist with a heart of Au Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I remember travelling right after 9-11. That was a hoot.

I was in Atlanta when some dipshit left his bag by a gate and decided to try running up the escalator against traffic, thus shutting down Atlanta airport because OMG TEH TERRORIZTSZ.

Luckily I was on a plane 2nd or 3rd in line for take off, so since we were already well through security and shit, they held us up for only an hour.

In December of that same year I won 300 dollars in quarters on a slot machine in the Las Vegas airport. That was fun going through security with, and they would exchange it until afterwards for some reason.

Hunter on
  • Options
    JoeUserJoeUser Forum Santa Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I get on a plane Monday morning to go to Boston, then get on another Thursday afternoon to come back home. I just got Medallion status on Delta though, so that's something.

JoeUser on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've flown with Tunisair, Swiss and Ryanair. The flight with Tunisair was my first flight and it was also the most enjoyable. It was the only time I had the chance to eat some classic airline food and the flight attendants were smiling all the time. The plane itself seemed a bit shoddy and one of the passengers fainted after takeoff.

Platy on
  • Options
    iamthepiemaniamthepieman Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Flying first class or business class really is awesome. The few times I've done it, it turns the flight from something you have to buck up and endure to an actually enjoyable experience.

iamthepieman on
  • Options
    PlatyPlaty Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When I was in Tunisia, I didn't get a tan despite constant exposure to the African sun. Maybe I used too much sunscreen.

Platy on
  • Options
    XyyzXyyz Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    When I was in Tunisia it was goddamn cold and everywhere I went was a minefield of camel dung.

I am never going back to Tunisia.

Xyyz on
  • Options
    UsagiUsagi Nah Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Hunter wrote: »
    I remember travelling right after 9-11. That was a hoot.

I was in Atlanta when some dipshit left his bag by a gate and decided to try running up the escalator against traffic, thus shutting down Atlanta airport because OMG TEH TERRORIZTSZ.

Luckily I was on a plane 2nd or 3rd in line for take off, so since we were already well through security and shit, they held us up for only an hour.

In December of that same year I won 300 dollars in quarters on a slot machine in the Las Vegas airport. That was fun going through security with, and they would exchange it until afterwards for some reason.

No shit, I was at ATL the same day

Unfortunately my flight was later on, so it eventually got canceled and we all got shuffled out to hotels for about three hours of sleep

Usagi on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    My dad was a fighter/bomber pilot in Vietnam, and also flew for fedex for twenty years. I wanted to go into the airforce when I was a kid but my eyesight was too poor, so instead I read books and became a Literature guy.

Langly on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've only flown first class once, when I moved here to Seoul.

It was really, really nice.

Of course, I had an insane fever and a sinus plague, so I couldn't even drink the free alcohol, but being ridiculously ill on an airplane in first class is not the worst thing in the world. You get slippers and the whole thing reclines into a bed and they give you whatever you want.

Embarrassing confession: I didn't actually know that you could get free booze on overseas flights until like two months ago, and I've flown overseas at least eight or nine times.

But yeah, flying is awesome! I've only taken one flight that really stressed me out, when they lost my luggage en route to Boston during a blizzard, and I was going to be staying there for a month.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Drew-BDrew-B Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Never flown first class. Maybe some day.

Drew-B on
  • Options
    L|amaL|ama Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    fucks sake I wrote up a big post and the forums swallowed it

anyway: flown once, landing at wellington is exciting, jailed people can't see infractions in threads, planes are not built for people of my height and I do not want to do long haul

L|ama on
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I used to enjoy flying but now it's just like driving where I want the ride to end and to have arrived already

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Airport bars are my favorite bars. If you want to talk, there's always someone from far away to talk to and you've got a whole list of topics lined up based on the fact that you're both in an airport. If you just want to sit and drink scotch and read a book, nobody's going to judge you.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I like flying for the most part, but redeyes suck stanky donkey balls, especially if you have a screaming baby onboard

Usagi on
  • Options
    CrashmoCrashmo Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I love love love flying

grandpa used to fly us around in his little Cessna, we'd go to the various hospitals around the state where he volunteered/worked

taught me how to properly take off and land when I was 7-8

but he never let me try to fly in a loop :(

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    VisionOfClarityVisionOfClarity Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I upgrade to business class when i can do it cheap but I've never been on a plane with a legit first class except for overseas. I'm actually catching a flight this evening.

VisionOfClarity on
  • Options
    LanglyLangly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    After Vietnam my dad instructed in
    300px-F-16_June_2008.jpg
    F-16s
    f-104.jpg

and f-104s

zoooooooooooooooooooooomm

Langly on
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I do still kind of hold a grudge against trips that take longer than eighteen hours. I lost a brand-new pair of Betsey Johnson sunglasses on the second leg of my three-leg, twenty-two hour trip back in the fall.

...I really liked those sunglasses.

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've never flown!

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    I've never flown!

DO it!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh hey and also this is topical and also really cool to read:

The Thrill of Flying the SR-71 Blackbird

Lost Salient on
    RUVCwyu.jpg
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    one time i was in an airport talking to this kid who looked like he was about my age. he said he was nervous to e flying

i told him not to worry, because if anything happened our deaths would likely be instantaneous

crwth on
    EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Oh hey and also this is topical and also really cool to read:

The Thrill of Flying the SR-71 Blackbird

Man that thing is insane

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've never flown!

where do you go

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    Baroque And RollBaroque And Roll Every spark of friendship and love Will die without a homeRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I've never flown!

where do you go

Nowhere.

I've never actually taken a trip with the express purpose of relaxation.

lower-middle class upbringing and all that.

Baroque And Roll on
    2dtr87s.png
    SteamID: Baroque And Roll
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    My favorite World War Two plane, the F4U Corsair. (There's a cool training video on that page.)

Followed closely by the B-17. Everybody needs to watch Memphis Belle. Such a good movie.

edit: Honorable mentions go to the P-38 for the unique design
    Named "fork-tailed devil" by the Luftwaffe and "two planes, one pilot" by the Japanese.

bahahaha

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    fuck yes, planes and pilots rule. as was mentioned, airports not so much. except the bars.

and yet, this thread still makes me a tad sad. before design school i went through an aviation and pilot technology course in st. pete, but had to bail after my fourth cc solo because of finances.

i still have my logbook and computer and shit around somewhere.

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    unintentionalunintentional smelly Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm flying somewhere without my family for the first time next month!

unintentional on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Crashmo wrote: »
    My favorite World War Two plane, the F4U Corsair. (There's a cool training video on that page.)

Followed closely by the B-17. Everybody needs to watch Memphis Belle. Such a good movie.

Named "fork-tailed devil" by the Luftwaffe and "two planes, one pilot" by the Japanese.

bahahaha
    thunderbolt and spitfire for life, yo! cliche choices but man they were boss. p-51 too

of course b-17 is all-time best bomber

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    If you are into the design stuff and haven't read Skunk Works yet you absolutely should

I'd love to get my pilots license, but the fear of tiny planes would be sort of a problem (it's one of the reasons I haven't gone skydiving yet)

Usagi on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    Usagi wrote: »
    If you are into the design stuff and haven't read Skunk Works yet you absolutely should

I'd love to get my pilots license, but the fear of tiny planes would be sort of a problem (it's one of the reasons I haven't gone skydiving yet)
    oh my god i went skydiving in hawaii and we went up in the tiniest little plane. they put me in the front seat so i had an amaaazing view of the island/coast/mountains/ocean before plummeting to my possible doom. easily one of the most incredible experiences of my life, if not the most

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    Shazkar ShadowstormShazkar Shadowstorm Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    my friend's dad flies planes for UPS

Shazkar Shadowstorm on
    poo
  • Options
    cadmunkycadmunky One hand on the bottle, The other a shaking fist.Registered User regular
    edited April 2010
    this is the beechcraft skipper. this is a tin can with wings. this is the only plane i've ever been in that frightened me.

skipper.jpg

cadmunky on
    5955603848_aed2690084.jpg
    "Think of it as Evolution in Action"
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Houk wrote: »

oh my god i went skydiving in hawaii and we went up in the tiniest little plane. they put me in the front seat so i had an amaaazing view of the island/coast/mountains/ocean before plummeting to my possible doom. easily one of the most incredible experiences of my life, if not the most

See that sort of thing would probably distract me from my paralyzing fear, I'll have to think about it

Usagi on
  • Options
    edited April 2010
    Houk wrote: »

bahahaha
    thunderbolt and spitfire for life, yo! cliche choices but man they were boss. p-51 too

of course b-17 is all-time best bomber

Yeah spitfire's are great, too. Mustangs of course were good but they are like the X-Wings of WW2, such an easy favorite.

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Hmmm I just may have to get this, thanks!

Crashmo on
    polar-bearsig.jpg
  • Options
    MysstMysst King Monkey of Hedonism IslandRegistered User regular
    edited April 2010
    I'm flying somewhere without my family for the first time next month!

it's pretty much the best thing ever, doing things without family is awesome

Mysst on
    ikbUJdU.jpg
  • Options
    edited April 2010

Hmmm I just may have to get this, thanks!

Trust me, it's a pretty awesome look behind the scenes at Lockheed (and Kelly Johnson is a bad ass motherfucker)

And if you like that, try Blind Man's Bluff next

Usagi on