As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PLANETSIDE II] - Stupid Sexy Vanu [~LAUNCH IN 1 DAY~]

• Options
    ObiFettObiFett Use the Force As You WishRegistered User regular
    edited August 2011
    JediNight wrote:
    F2P in concept is good, but in execution it's almost always been bad so far. A lot of people feel they are being "fleeced" when buying off an item shop, even if the total price doesn't exceed the box price. Generally though it either means the quality of the game is less "it's 'free' after all...", aspects of the game are intentionally crippled to force you into spending money to make it (less) miserable, or the item shop makes you spend way more money than you would with a monthly fee unless you plan on subbing for a long time.

Asian MMOs by and large go with a "bad" item shop model that builds misery into the game and you buy off the item shop to lessen (never eliminate) that misery. It's a terrible idea. (Mabinogi was the only game that didn't have an obnoxious shop imho) Age of Empires Online just launched and they expect way too much money total for what largely amounts to an RTS -- $100 for the first 6 months of content is apparently "30% off" ...

tl;dr: F2P generally means the developers feel they have a pass to cut corners and generally make a sloppy release with low amounts of content. Because hey -- it's free.

League of Legends would like to have a word with you.

ObiFett on
  • Options
    GarthorGarthor Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote:
    JediNight wrote:
    F2P in concept is good, but in execution it's almost always been bad so far. A lot of people feel they are being "fleeced" when buying off an item shop, even if the total price doesn't exceed the box price. Generally though it either means the quality of the game is less "it's 'free' after all...", aspects of the game are intentionally crippled to force you into spending money to make it (less) miserable, or the item shop makes you spend way more money than you would with a monthly fee unless you plan on subbing for a long time.

Asian MMOs by and large go with a "bad" item shop model that builds misery into the game and you buy off the item shop to lessen (never eliminate) that misery. It's a terrible idea. (Mabinogi was the only game that didn't have an obnoxious shop imho) Age of Empires Online just launched and they expect way too much money total for what largely amounts to an RTS -- $100 for the first 6 months of content is apparently "30% off" ...

tl;dr: F2P generally means the developers feel they have a pass to cut corners and generally make a sloppy release with low amounts of content. Because hey -- it's free.

Also Puzzle Pirates.

• Options
    CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    ObiFett wrote:

Playing League of Legends competitively is not free and requires you to own every* champion (strictly for the purposes of trading with your team) and more than 2 rune pages (~$160.)

* at least all the ones everyone on your team uses unless teams agree to do out-of-game picks.

0liDg.png
  • Options
    nakirushnakirush Registered User regular
    I think a Freemium package would do well on PS2. F2P players have limited access to certifications, perhaps keeping them as basic infantry. They have the option to buy certifications for more advanced areas if they choose to move into a specific role. They can keep those certs for life. Subscribers, naturally, have access to everything - only limited by leveling and training times.

I feel that in a game like PS2 you need a large force of players and the best way to maintain those large battles is to let cannon fodder play for free.

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    CripTonic wrote:
    ObiFett wrote:

Playing League of Legends competitively is not free and requires you to own every* champion (strictly for the purposes of trading with your team) and more than 2 rune pages (~$160.)

* at least all the ones everyone on your team uses unless teams agree to do out-of-game picks.

May I ask where do you get your information.

Because it is totally and completely wrong.

• Options
    BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    CripTonic wrote:
    ObiFett wrote:

The only thing you "have" to buy is skins.... which aren't "needed" for anything. I guess extra rune pages if someone really needs... the thing is the game generalizes everything to the point you can get by with the 3 default ones. (you said 2, so again where do you get your info?)

Or are you being a goose and saying people start the game out competitively as soon as they play it the first time?

Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • Options
    Badwrong wrote:
    CripTonic wrote:
    ObiFett wrote:

The only thing you "have" to buy is skins.... which aren't "needed" for anything. I guess extra rune pages if someone really needs... the thing is the game generalizes everything to the point you can get by with the 3 default ones. (you said 2, so again where do you get your info?)

Or are you being a goose and saying people start the game out competitively as soon as they play it the first time?

2 is the number of rune pages you get. It's just that the majority of players have 3 because they gave one away for free a while ago.

Of course, you also don't need to spend money on rune pages.

• Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-chinese-interview-with-john-smedley-2538.htm
    When asked about the business mode and beta schedule, Smedley reveals that the game will be free-to-play, but it may not be the microtransaction type as he mentions the model of buy to play and Diablo 3's auction house. Smedley also thinks that EA's The Old Republic will be the last popular MMO with subscription fee. At last, the beta plan. According to Smedley, PlanetSide 2 will start large-scale test in US at the end of 2011 and the beginning of 2012.

Update 1
    John said "PlanetSide 2" will use the free model, the specific details of the charges has not been determined. Worthy of note is that free mode is not the same props charges, including content outright or similar Diablo 3, the auction transaction tax model so other charging methods.

Update 2
    On Auction House
    We aren't doing an auction house like Blizzard. They asked me what I thought of that move by Blizzard and I said I liked it and thought it would help with farmers and that we were doing it years ago with Station Exchange. It has nothing to do with Planetside 2 whatsoever. Ive said before the game will be some form of F2P but we aren't announcing anything specific yet.

On Beta
    I did in fact say we are aiming for late this year or early next year. No further comment about that. It's ready when it's ready and we are proud of it.

On Crafting
    Not sure what they were talking about relating to “crafting” other than we want players long term to be able to make weapons. That won’t be there at launch.

On Payment Model
    The game will be F2P. What form will it be? We're still working that out. But here's a hint - we like League of Legends a lot. (Source)

• Options
    chrisnlchrisnl Registered User regular
    I remember playing the beta of Planetside, and I really liked it, but none of my friends were interested in playing so I didn't get the game. Maybe I can convince a few to give this a try, especially if you can play in a reasonable way for free.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EchoEcho ski-bap ba-dapModerator mod
    I was just talking to a friend about how I think LoL has an excellent F2P system - anything that changes the game (champions) can be bought with funbucks you earn by simply playing, or you can buy PlanetBucks(tm) for real money and buy that stuff faster.

Now you can argue that it's grindy when you get 100-150 funbucks per win and need 6300 for the latest shiniest champions, but them's the breaks.

• Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Riot did very well with their F2P system and I think they really innovated the way it is done in the future. I've not played any other F2P games as much as LoL, so I cannot compare it, but the general consensus is that Riot did the best.

This is my first post in this thread. I've not really read through most of the thread, so I'm really wanting to know the answer to one question:

Does this game look like it will be good? I thought the initial game looked fun. I bought it, but a game like that is only fun when there are other people to play with. I remember my first time logging on and playing after going through the tutorial. I was able to capture one base all by myself. I logged off and never logged on again.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    As an old PS fan, I would say the new game looks like it will be good from what we've seen so far. However, what we have seen is relatively limited.

Naturally an massive-scale FPS needs a lot of people to work though :)

ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • Options
    edited September 2011
    Ugh, double post.. how did that happen.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    RyadicRyadic Registered User regular
    Enig wrote:
    Naturally an massive-scale FPS needs a lot of people to work though :)

Exactly. And the only way that happens is if the game delivers on what subscribers expect.

And double posts are common on these new forums.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    OptyOpty Registered User regular
    Once there's a subscriber dropoff it makes the game less fun which means more and more people leave which in turn makes the game even less fun until you're playing on a near empty server capping entire continents by yourself. It's basically what killed the first game since a good amount of people decided not to pay past the free month at launch and the playerbase halved over the span of a few weeks.

• Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/09/09/dancing-to-different-beats-planetside-2/

I hadn't been following Planetside 2 at all until I read this.

It is now my #1 anticipated game.

There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Garthor wrote:
    ObiFett wrote:
    JediNight wrote:

Also Puzzle Pirates.

And World of Tanks.

F2P for Planetside 2 is actually a brilliant idea. Since there won't be a pay barrier it'll help ensure that the battles will be as insane huge as possible due to all the players just coasting on minimal duckets. This, of course, is assuming they don't cock up the F2P model and ensure that it's fluid and not rage inducing (i.e. World of Tanks).

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Options
    ShanadeusShanadeus Registered User regular
    When it comes to F2Ps I only spend the same amount I'd spend for a retail PC game, with a maximum limit of 60 dollar per MMO.
    I did that for DDO, which you use points (which you buy in packages, sometimes on special sales) to unlock game conten, and managed to unlock every single quest in the game along with all the classes.
    I completely ignore perishable goods such as XP boosts/weapons/mana potions along with certain account features which do not affect gameplay such as bankspace/rerolling tokens.

The result is that I get an MMO with plenty of content to chew at, whenever I feel like it, without feeling constrained by a regular subscription. I can drop the game at any time and go on for a week or a month and start playing when I feel like it.

• Options
    firemanfredfiremanfred Registered User regular
    So I think I've posted about this before, but what did you guys think of the lattice system? I loved PS while it was in beta and enjoyed the ability to fight small battles by going behind the main battle line and taking out a key asset then waiting to fight back the small squad that would peel off and come over to try and reclaim it.

In my opinion the lattice system served to force players into large, laggy confrontations, which killed the part of the game I loved best.

tepvoy5.png
    Spaceships are better than relationships
  • Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    Even with the lattice system you could still back-hack, drop gens, tubes, ambush Gal pilots fetching new Gals. It just gave slightly more structure to the fight, instead of playing the guessing game of where will fall next.

The main reason that large, laggy confrontations happened is because most players preferred the large fights. An Interlink farm in a three-way fight? Yes, please! There's plenty of room around the edges for those that didn't like mixing it up in the centre, most of my kills came from sneaking around the outside of a fight in a mossie and ruining snipers/AMSs/Lightnings (and the ever present retreating aircraft) that had become too complacent.

The thing that killed the game more than anything else was the BFRs (no, game designers, a huge powerful thing is not balanced by a long respawn timer, that's not the way it works), the caverns certainly didn't help either.

• Options
    Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    I liked the Caverns, but I thought they could have been handled better. I hope they introduce something like that again (and maybe wonky alien tech too, maybe not at the same time though) I liked the way fighting in the caverns worked on its own, though the zipline things could have used a redesign.

Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
  • Options
    TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    i enjoyed caverns when i brought a magrider with me, but honestly I only did them to imprint myself, and as we all know, bfrs are stupid anyways

uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Options
    YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    i enjoyed caverns when i brought a magrider with me, but honestly I only did them to imprint myself, and as we all know, bfrs are stupid anyways

God what a waste of time that was. Not only was it not fun, after we were done, we de-cert'ed BFR's like what? a week later?

• Options
    DraygoDraygo Registered User regular
    They should have never allowed bfr's to fly.

• Options
    Fantastication2Fantastication2 Registered User regular
    Draygo wrote:
    They should have never allowed bfr's.

• Options
    The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Seems Sony has been putting some info and new screens up at the official website since the middle of September. Most interesting ones is Art of Planetside 2 (includes Mossy, Lib and Mag images)

Also, they are apparently doing some stuff on the story starting this week: http://www.planetside2.com/news/oct11BackstoryPt1.html

Planetside Universe has a nice round up of PS news from last month: http://www.planetside-universe.com/news-end-of-september-news-roundup-2563.htm
    Each empire has their own unique air fighter in PS2. The Reaver belongs to NC, the Mossy is TR. The VS have a new fighter that we're currently calling the Dyson, although that may change (and no, it's not powered by cyclone technology or a smarty-pants British accent).
    Sounds strange, but this is not the old mossy:

161.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    TR assaulting an amp station. Some of the base graphics are placeholders, and will look somewhat better in the final product.
    cE9P0.jpg

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Enig wrote:
    TR assaulting an amp station. Some of the base graphics are placeholders, and will look somewhat better in the final product.
    cE9P0.jpg

All things considered, it looks pretty damned good now.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • Options
    mellestadmellestad Registered User regular
    How come the two human's are wearing armor made so they can't turn their heads?

• Options
    mellestad wrote:

When was the last time you were able to turn your head in an FPS?

• Options
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    Garthor wrote:
    mellestad wrote:

When was the last time you were able to turn your head in an FPS?

ArmA 2. So awesome to do it, and not exactly hard to implement: just hold down alt and look around. Great for when you're prone on a hill and scanning around you while reloading.

I've been wanting the feature in more games ever since.

• Options
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    I like how they kept some elements from the first soundtrack in there - always liked the game soundtrack.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    FandyienFandyien But Otto, what about us? Registered User regular
    man, i am so incredibly stoked for this

planetside was an absurd amount of fun, and this looks like it's shaping up to be a perfect successor

reposig.jpg
  • Options
    edited October 2011
    Small interview at PCGamer: http://www.pcgamer.com/2011/10/31/planetside-2-character-classes-detailed-levelling-system-similar-to-eve-online/

Higby demonstrates the classes themselves with the Infiltrator, a “spy-type character”. “You can really spec out in different ways, you can spec out this infiltrator to be a really sneaky gadgety, sabotage focused guy, or you could spec him to be more recon focused. And you’ll be able to say, hey this time when I get my loadout I’m going to bring my sniper rifles and a few gadgets and I’m going to be a very dedicated wilderness sniper character. But then next time you respawn you might say okay cool I’m going to bring a bunch of C4, I’m going to bring motion detectors and now I’m going to be a subterfuge/obfuscated kind of ghost recon character.”

Working alongside the Infiltrator is the Engineer. “He’ll be sort of like an analogue to the medic,” says Higby. “He can use combat engineering abilities to be able to able to place barriers, to be able to place emplaced guns, repair vehicles. But he can also beyond just doing cool support stuff – he can do a lot of offensive stuff too.”

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Options
    I don't like that use of "classes". Hoping it sticks to the tried and true Planetside way so I can build whatever skills I want into my own dude.

• Options
    Classes are, without a doubt, a Good Thing, for reasons which the developers have already elaborated on. One thing is that I do not think that it's one class per character, but instead each character has advancement within a specific class (think like Battlefield, though ideally with less "MEDIC HAS TO UNLOCK MEDCRATES LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL").

• Options
    Yeah, that path I find acceptable. Equip your "class" doodad, pick the stuff from that path. Classes just make me think "one dude per class" by default.

This discussion has been closed.