As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[PLANETSIDE II] - Stupid Sexy Vanu [~LAUNCH IN 1 DAY~]

• BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I can't wait.

I was one of Vanu Emerald's most beloved CR5's.

Bamelin on
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    I know it's a pipe dream, but I'm kinda hoping that the 'The Last Stand' doods reform in PS2.

I wonder whatever happened to those gents.

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Bamelin wrote: »
    I can't wait.

yes... beloved... thats the word...
    :)

whenever it hits i'll be back in the saddle, driving magriders puts me in my special place, especially after running over that stealth guy without even realizing it

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • Anon the FelonAnon the Felon In bat country.Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Oh god, mags....those were the best.

Park it on a hill, and start sniping people in bases. My favorite moment was when a guy in a liberty came over to try and blow me away, and I blew him out the air. Such a fun game.

Anon the Felon on
  • EnigEnig a.k.a. Ansatz Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Yeah popping Reavers with the Mag main gun was pretty great. I have to assume most of them didn't expect it.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    Steam (Ansatz) || GW2 officer (Ansatz.6498)
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    Enig wrote: »
    Yeah popping Reavers with the Mag main gun was pretty great. I have to assume most of them didn't expect it.

Yeah, they always think they have the upper hand, till you either blow them out of the sky or they afterburn off as fast as they can. My best was gunning for some random dude, who then decided that taking a shortcut to the enemy over water was an awesome idea, yeah. I still managed to pop about 5 flyers, mostly reavers with one mosquito mixed in before the driver realized we were a sitting duck.

Yoshua on
  • TigersmithTigersmith Registered User new member
    edited June 2011
    :) Cant wait for this

Tigersmith on
  • BamelinBamelin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    I know it's a pipe dream, but I'm kinda hoping that the 'The Last Stand' doods reform in PS2.

:whistle:

You could say I was kinda one of those guys.

Regardless I'm sure that the CR command features and chat will be completely different from PS1 so hopefully "differences of opinion" don't spill into global chat like they did in PS1.

Bamelin on
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    You know what I always hated? Defending a tower. You're stuck in the damn thing, surrounded on all sides, with vehicles pounding shots down hallways. And owning the tower may or may even be strategic to the continent/base you're trying to cap. It was...frustrating. I can't recall the few times we were ever saved once stranded in a tower, usually it was over until you could spawn somewhere else.

Now bridge battles..those...those were awesome. Good times right there. Except that one time our driver drove our filled-to-the-brim sunderer over the edge of a bridge and killed us all with water. Deliverers could float, but not the land yachts. Figures.

3lwap0 on
    edited June 2011
    Tower fights were mostly just a delay thing. Hold off the cap as long as possible to buy time at the base. You really needed outside support to actually win a tower defense.

Tower-to-base fights could be a lot of fun depending on the terrain.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    edited June 2011
    TOGSolid wrote: »

:whistle:

You could say I was kinda one of those guys.

Regardless I'm sure that the CR command features and chat will be completely different from PS1 so hopefully "differences of opinion" don't spill into global chat like they did in PS1.

Always good to see one of the old platoon members kicking around. :D
    Tower fights were mostly just a delay thing. Hold off the cap as long as possible to buy time at the base. You really needed outside support to actually win a tower defense.
    Ugh, tower fights. Those things were always an annoyance. Every single damn time people would just dance around the door and fling explosives through it ad nauseum.

Well...

At least they would until a few TLS guys got on scene and we showed all the scrubs how a tower assault really works.;-)

TOGSolid on
    wWuzwvJ.png
  • AyulinAyulin Registered User regular
    edited June 2011
    No love for the Tower of Power/Death? Aww.

Yeah, I hated getting stuck in those. They seemed to be in stalemate 95% of the time, then all of a sudden a miracle happens, the stars align, everything clicks, etc. etc., and the attackers take the thing in a minute.

(Towers were fun for a while, but there's a certain time limit after which it turns into dullness... then again, the same could be said about everything else, too.)

EDIT: while we're reminiscing, one thing that I do hope they bring back (and desperately wish every other team-based FPS would steal) is the quick voice macro system (the thing that comes up when you press V). It's incredibly flexible, easy to use, and quick; beats every other system I've seen (Natural Selection and BF2's mouse one, Valve's three menus in CS/TF2, and the context-based spotting system in Bad Company 2.)

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • CripTonicCripTonic Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I can't wait.

I was one of those... they banned me for a week for saying "niggardly" in command chat and I never re-subbed. I only played it for the first time in about 5 years after the SOE hack debacle.

CripTonic on
    0liDg.png
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I played it religiously the first year or so. My name was Reaverocity. Guess what I did in-game?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=planetside%20reaverocity&cts=&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

JamesKeenan on
  • YoshuaYoshua Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I played it religiously the first year or so. My name was Reaverocity. Guess what I did in-game?

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=off&q=planetside%20reaverocity&cts=&aq=f&oq=&aqi=

Got shot down a lot?

Yoshua on
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    About God damn time.

http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/2011/07/05/planetside-2-annoucement-due-thursday/#more-65183

I don't have high expectations. As long as it's an MMOFPS with a bunch of players running around while Reavers blow everything up I am good to go.

Sarksus on
    edited July 2011
    Well, we already knew about the fan faire announcement.

I admit I am getting a little excited. I have plenty of nicely rose-tinted fond memories of PS.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • BadwrongBadwrong TokyoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    The countdown is over today right?

The damn site is blocked from work since its new and uncategorized.

Badwrong on
    Steam: Badwrong || Xbox: Duncan Dohnuts || PSN: Buc_wild

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • TheKoolEagleTheKoolEagle Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Badwrong wrote: »
    The countdown is over today right?

The damn site is blocked from work since its new and uncategorized.

says like 10 hours before the announcement still,

figured it would be more of a mid-afternoon affair...

TheKoolEagle on
    uNMAGLm.png Mon-Fri 8:30 PM CST - 11:30 PM CST
  • The Count Of Midget FistoThe Count Of Midget Fisto Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Count down timer is set to end 10pm EDT, but that's 11am Japan time. Which is right when Sony is doing their SOE thing.

The Count Of Midget Fisto on
    In Low Orbit Over Budapest
    edited July 2011
    Looks like the announcement this evening, and then more info tomorrow at a PS2 panel.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
    edited July 2011
    30 minutes left.

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited July 2011
    times up and site breaks.

edit: now its up, and a trailer

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • 3lwap03lwap0 Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    A brief trailer.

The vehicle combat looked..eh...very alpha. Infantry looked like updated PS1 graphiscs, but didn't really wow me. The tower (base?) did look fairly spiffy though - kind of an interesting hybrid between a base and tower.

But still, scant information is better than none.

3lwap0 on
  • JacksWastedLifeJacksWastedLife Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Well, that was disappointing

JacksWastedLife on
    edited July 2011
    ya meh. just a tease, nothing really solid enough to say much other than it looks like another planetside (not a bad thing).

Badwrong on

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    edited July 2011
    What did you guys expect from an announcement trailer? Should be used to this by now.

It looks like PlanetSide. That's half the job. If it plays like PlanetSide Sony has my $$.

And those graphics are quite a bit better than PS1. They look like a modern FPS, with allowances for the fact that there will be hundreds of players in a battle.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • SarksusSarksus ATTACK AND DETHRONE GODRegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Wow, my expectations weren't very high and I'm still a little underwhelmed. It doesn't look ready to show at all. I don't really like the gritty look either. I would have been very happy with the aesthetic of the first Planetside updated with modern graphics. The infantry combat looked generic and was topped off with the absurd looking view down the gunsights. I can't imagine what you would actually look like if you held a gun like that.

Oh well, I'll keep an eye on the game anyway. It's still very early.

Sarksus on
    edited July 2011
    Here's the trailer

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBCp_rgAkfc

Coverage from the announcement mentions gaining resources as your empire controls them. Apparently they could be used for weapon modification. Also mentions of sandbox type gameplay.

Hope there will be more clarification tomorrow at the panel thing.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • JamesKeenanJamesKeenan Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I just watched the live coverage.

There are going to be classes in the game.

He listed three class names. Heavy. Medic. Engineer.

That is all.

JamesKeenan on
    edited July 2011
    That is bizarre and troubling. They just said there are classes, but no explanation?

I guess it would be ok if you can switch classes like you can switch certs. I don't really see the point of classes in PS though.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Looking down ironsights is absurd now? That's how pretty much every other modern FPS has handled looking down ironsights, seems a little late to start complaining now.

I mean, the default, gun in the right corner view that practically every FPS uses is also absurd from a "what you would actually look like if you held a gun like that" perspective.

It looks like a generic FPS with vehicles. Planetside was always a generic FPS with vehicles, it's the scope of the combat that sets it apart.

Inquisitor on
    edited July 2011
    I would say the cert system and the base system sets it apart also, though those are largely functions of it being an MMO. The actual shooting itself is generic, I guess, in the sense that you are a soldier with a gun or a missile or something.

I don't care about ironsights, but classes do worry me a little.

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Al BaronAl Baron Registered User regular
    edited July 2011
    edited July 2011
    Al Baron wrote: »

Two big take-aways from this that I got:

Classes can be switched between, and seem to be linked with things like armour types (he mentioned MAXes and Heavy Assault as being two of them) but also with specific roles like in other games (also mentioned engineering and medic)

Certification system is EVE Online-style, time-based that keeps running while offline. Hell yes. (Sounded like it's pretty similar to EVE's implementation, too - mentioned it being used for customisation, and even extending to affecting how outfits work)

Sounds pretty good, but then again there aren't any real details given.

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    I love the way they're going with the Vanu art wise. They look even more high-techy than they did in PS1.

Edit:

Holy Shit guys. Holy Shit YES.
    vs_max.jpg

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited July 2011
    The new MAX suits are amazing, I must say. (though not just the Vanu one)

Enig on
    ibpFhR6PdsPw80.png
  • Lord_AsmodeusLord_Asmodeus goeticSobriquet: Here is your magical cryptic riddle-tumour: I AM A TIME MACHINERegistered User regular
    edited July 2011
    Yeah, here's the art of the TR and NC MAX suits (for any who haven't seen them):
    nc_max.jpg
    tr_max.jpg

Lord_Asmodeus on
    Capital is only the fruit of labor, and could never have existed if Labor had not first existed. Labor is superior to capital, and deserves much the higher consideration. - Lincoln
    edited July 2011
    Silly TR, forgetting a gun/face shield.

:P

Ayulin on
    steam_sig.png
    edited July 2011
    Man do you see those piston circles on his arms?

He doesn't need no stinkin' gun.

He applies the oppressive force of the Terran Republic directly to your face via high technology, powered armor punches to the face.

Feel the literal iron fist of the Terran Republic.

I love how different they all look though. NC looks all utilitarian, like a walking tank, all efficiency no polish. The Terran Republic one looks sleek, high tech, and advanced. The VS one looks alien, and organic.

They always looked different, but this art really drives home the differences in appearance and play between the three.

Lord_Asmodeus on
This discussion has been closed.