As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2010 Challenge Coins

• Options
    WillethWilleth Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I can't believe I didn't remember this, but we should have had 'ballyhoo' on there somewhere.

Willeth on
    @vgreminders - Don't miss out on timed events in gaming!
    @gamefacts - Totally and utterly true gaming facts on the regular!
  • Options
    karmacappakarmacappa Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    SamJackson wrote: »
    Are there going to be any of these available on site? I love challenge coins. Can't promise I'll get one, but if I get the itching, I will buy one right up.

Nope, these are ordered and shipped to the person, there will be no way to buy one at PAX. You can of course follow the instructions to order one in this thread, but it will probably get to you after PAX.

karmacappa on
    "In Europe, it's not America."
    Scott Kurtz, The Morning After, Aug 31 - 2010
  • Options
    ninjahqninjahq Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I know it's somewhere in the 25 pages of this thread, but can someone tell me what the latin on it translates to? THanks!

ninjahq on
  • Options
    Sgt SupermanSgt Superman Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    ninjahq wrote: »
    I know it's somewhere in the 25 pages of this thread, but can someone tell me what the latin on it translates to? THanks!

It loosely translates to, don't be a dick.

Sgt Superman on
    Now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
  • Options
    UpthornUpthorn Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    But more accurately it translates to "You are never a proud and regal penis"

Upthorn on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Upthorn wrote: »

You must wear a monocle to translate it that way however.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

And if you put it into Google Translate and back again six times, you get 'genitals not of being.'

That's not actually the case.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    There's the English phrase it was translated from, and then there's what the Latin actually means. They are two rather different things, but I'm not trying to be a dick about it. I just wanted to help make sure it can be better the next time round.

Upthorn on
  • Options
    REG RyskREG Rysk Lord Rageface Rageington The Exploding ManRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    There's the English phrase it was translated from, and then there's what the Latin actually means. They are two rather different things, but I'm not trying to be a dick about it. I just wanted to help make sure it can be better the next time round.

:lol:

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I vetted the Latin against Darrell at NWTM, who is their residente Latin guy. He said it's probably as close as we're going to get to its intended meaning. If we have a Latin scholar here who can authoritatively put forth a better translation, they are welcome to.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Anybody else who is on the list to supply coins to the PA staff receive their coins yet, and do we have an idea for a delivery method? I doubt all of those folks will be at the show in one place at any given time.

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    LumenadducereLumenadducere Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't gotten mine yet, but I'm in CA so it should arrive before I leave on Thursday. If not then something's gone awry and I'll just have to take care of it afterwards.

As for delivery method, I'm probably just going to give it to one of the PA staff and ask them to give it to him the next time they see him. As much as I'd like to deliver it in person I think the chances of me finding him out of 60,000 people are somewhat slim. If you were thinking of some sort of group delivery, however, I'd be down for that.

Lumenadducere on
  • Options
    Jenny_SpaghettiJenny_Spaghetti I am 3 ginger midgets in a trench coat. Calgary, CanadalandRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Got a confirmation email that mine arrived today but, sadly, I don't think I'll be over the border again to pick it up before PAX and it's at the wrong crossing to pick it up on my way down. Anyone passing through Sumas wanna pick mine up for me? :P

Jenny_Spaghetti on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    I vetted the Latin against Darrell at NWTM, who is their residente Latin guy. He said it's probably as close as we're going to get to its intended meaning. If we have a Latin scholar here who can authoritatively put forth a better translation, they are welcome to.

It originally came from a fair few Latin scholars I know, to be fair. One of them, a Latin teacher.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    A bit late Willeth, the die has been cast :D

REG Rysk on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    REG Rysk wrote: »
    A bit late Willeth, the die has been cast :D

And my translation is on there.

Willeth on
  • Options
    edited August 2010

I'm basing my understanding on this posting in a community dedicated to language scholars.

Upthorn on
  • Options
    alegriaalegria Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Mine were waiting for me when I got home from my weekend trip. They are awesome! :D

alegria on
    Rw4xnu6.png
    PAX Prime Attendee since 2006, BYOC Attendee 2008-2012, Buttoneer 2010-2014
    https://www.pinnypals.com/pals/alegria
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Hmm... I thought I would've gotten it by yesterday in CA. Really hope I get it today or tomorrow otherwise I'm going to start thinking the address was wrong. *panics*

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I'm in California and I haven't received mine yet Dracil, so no need to panic yet. I'm a bit baffled as to why I paid 28 dollars for shipping.

On a side note, anyone who is interested in some very handsome presentation boxes, I've got some pictures of the ones I ordered. The generic velvet boxes are fine and all for giving a coin to someone, but these wooden boxes are something you would proudly put on your desk to show off your coin.
    I looked around quite a bit for single coin presentation boxes. These ones are the best value for a reasonable price that I could find. These are from US Challenge Coins. Specifically, you're going to be looking for 1.75" Red Wooded Challenge Coin Box

4945811814_9d2446fbc2.jpg
    4945811864_205d7eb763.jpg
    4945811934_16eaec7b5f.jpg
    4945811984_2d7c9a4385.jpg
    4945227213_7c04c95bac.jpg
    4945812084_ac74ecfa52.jpg

Note that the price is for small orders of boxes. You might be able to get a break from them if you order a lot of boxes at once. They would probably also give you a discount if you were ordering the boxes to go with a run of coins.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I haven't gotten mine yet, but I'm in CA so it should arrive before I leave on Thursday. If not then something's gone awry and I'll just have to take care of it afterwards.

As for delivery method, I'm probably just going to give it to one of the PA staff and ask them to give it to him the next time they see him. As much as I'd like to deliver it in person I think the chances of me finding him out of 60,000 people are somewhat slim. If you were thinking of some sort of group delivery, however, I'd be down for that.

I have't got mine yet either but here's hoping it comes tomorrow *crosses fingers* I'll be really annoyed if it arrives hours after i leave on Thursday.

As for presenting the coins. I was figuring I'd give it to Dave at the Enforcer after party, and I'd be happy to give any other coins there as well. Though the people getting Mike, Jerry, and Khoo could definitely present them one of the PA panels.

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Hmm, I might take you up on that, but I think I want to try and find one of 'em first. I dunno, I'll think about it.

And yeah, I was getting worried about my address too, but if others in CA haven't gotten theirs either then I guess there's no need to be concerned.

Lumenadducere on
  • Options
    adesteradester Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I'M in Las Vegas and I haven't gotten mine yet either. I Hope it comes today or tomorrow.

adester on
  • Options
    RaajTMRaajTM CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    I just received mine today and I am in Cali. Was a bit surprised and at first didn't realize what it was, but thanks again prinny, just in time for PAX as well. =)

RaajTM on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    RaajTM wrote: »
    I just received mine today and I am in Cali. Was a bit surprised and at first didn't realize what it was, but thanks again prinny, just in time for PAX as well. =)

I imagine most west coast coins will be delivered today.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Just got mine today, and I'm in the navel of the country, i.e. just outside Kansas City, MO.

Got some nice heft, and I'm loving the milled edge.

BlackDragon480 on
    No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
  • Options
    DreamwriterDreamwriter Registered User regular
    edited August 2010

I'm basing my understanding on this posting in a community dedicated to language scholars.
    From there, it sounds like what we got is pretty accurate. We weren't designing our phrase to be meaningful to native Latin speakers, but to be as close as possible to the modern phrase about being a dick.

Dreamwriter on
  • Options
    jenellejenelle Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Got mine either today or yesterday in Wyoming (didn't check my PO box til today). In fact, I actually got two when I'm pretty sure I only ordered one. And my bank account says I only paid for one. Prinny, can I give you the extra one at PAX? I won't have time to mail it back to NWTM before I leave on the CCST and it seems a waste when so many people still want one.

jenelle on
    cJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.pngcJSEBzK.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Was it USPS or Fedex? I might have to check the leasing office today or tomorrow. Maybe they have them like they had my buttons.

adester on
  • Options
    SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    adester wrote: »
    Was it USPS or Fedex? I might have to check the leasing office today or tomorrow. Maybe they have them like they had my buttons.

FedEx

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    I should go check. I saw one of their trucks at the building when I drove in.

adester on
  • Options
    psychopezpsychopez Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    Bah, big picture from camera phone...but still

http://yfrog.com/871q9j

You've gained one challenge coin in Pittsburgh, PA. You pose your challenge coin. It's super effective!

Edit: thanks for the heads up adester...

psychopez on
    “Myth is the hidden part of every story, the buried part, the region that is still unexplored because there are as yet no words to enable us to get there."

-Italo Calvino
  • Options
    SoularisSoularis Registered User regular
    edited August 2010
    So i was just curious, would it be an option for future coins to have some slogan etched around the outside edge of the coin instead of the ridges?

Soularis on
    Soularis+Esprit.png
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Soularis wrote: »
    So i was just curious, would it be an option for future coins to have some slogan etched around the outside edge of the coin instead of the ridges?

This kind of thing is possible, but sometimes expensive. Coins are generally not produced with edging. The texturing on the rim or edge is machined after the coin is struck in the die. Some companies do offer inscriptions or numbering on the edge as opposed to texturing. It will add to the cost per coin though.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    edited August 2010
    Thanks for the info Soularis,
    They did come in today.
    I will try to do some pictures later.

adester on
  • Options
    tehnakkitehnakki Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    Woot! Just got my coins 5 minutes ago in Vegas. yay!

tehnakki on
    Hufflepuff for lief, muthafuckers!

the 'teh' is silent: eljay ~ * ~ twitter ~ * ~ ravelry ~ * ~ last.fm
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    Got my coins today, a few hours after my last post. Thanks again Papaprinny, your hard work is appreciated! And thanks also to Darrell (hope I'm spelling that right) and the folks at NWTM for taking care of us as fast as they did!

Lumenadducere on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I got my coins today, all 14 of them.

*EDIT*
    I talked to Darrel about the apparent imperfections on the surface of coins, and he says it's just something that happens sometimes when the die is struck. If there are any slight imperfections, this is due to the nature of the coin making process.

karmacappa on
  • Options
    TMIBTMIB Registered User regular
    edited September 2010
    For those that do Geocaching, I'll be releasing this Travel Bug into a Geocache near PAX. A tagged Challenge Coin:

http://www.geocaching.com/track/details.aspx?tracker=TB3M659
    df854b82-e3fc-40e9-8a75-fb1cf252317b.jpg

TMIB on
  • Options
    edited September 2010
    I received my coins today. Have the ones destined for Gabe & Tycho arrived at their handler(s) yet?

Upthorn on
This discussion has been closed.