As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

PAX 2010 Challenge Coins

• Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    papaprinny wrote: »
    akjak wrote: »
    Chiming in...

I want one, and I want them for a couple of friends.

I do NOT want one if it doesn't have the official PAX logo on it.
    We give permission to use the logo (assuming it's under 4" in physical size and we get approval on it), but you can't charge for the item. It doesn't matter if it's not for profit. You have to give them away for free.

Okay akjak. I vote you pick up the tab for all the coins.
    I also vote that you go through the process of getting approval.

Nothing against Robert or PA, but going through the approval process is something we would prefer to avoid, as it is simply an added complication. That and I am not that charitable, nor is anyone else here. No one will pay the minting costs for every coin produced.

That being said, the design I create will not contain the PAX logo. Anyone who wishes to submit competing designs are welcome to, though.

Not to speak for anyone else here, but I am willing to pony up more than my fair share of money to see that these things get made, regardless of whether I get to keep even one coin. Any chance I can convince you to make a two designs, one with and one without the PAX logo?

And how hard could the approval process be, anyway? "Hey, Khoo, is this coo?" *shows coin design* "Yeah? Coo!"

But everything else aside, we are getting uncomfortably close to the wire. I welcome your design at any rate.

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    papaprinnypapaprinny Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Any chance I can convince you to make a two designs, one with and one without the PAX logo?

And how hard could the approval process be, anyway? "Hey, Khoo, is this coo?" *shows coin design* "Yeah? Coo!"

But everything else aside, we are getting uncomfortably close to the wire. I welcome your design at any rate.

I suppose I could stop being so myopic and produce two designs, yes.

I'll put together a design or two and start talking with Northwest Territorial Mint to see what our options are. I'll try to strike a compromise between a good-looking coin and a cost-effective option, though it looks like each person will be spending more than a few dollars. I'll try and make the design worth your money.

OH. And where are we on the latin translation??? This is something we pretty much need pronto.

papaprinny on
    paxeast2010dvdsignowout.jpgForumSig1.jpg
  • Options
    DracilDracil Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    akjak wrote: »
    Chiming in...

I want one, and I want them for a couple of friends.

I do NOT want one if it doesn't have the official PAX logo on it.
    We give permission to use the logo (assuming it's under 4" in physical size and we get approval on it), but you can't charge for the item. It doesn't matter if it's not for profit. You have to give them away for free.

Okay akjak. I vote you pick up the tab for all the coins.
    I also vote that you go through the process of getting approval.

Nothing against Robert or PA, but going through the approval process is something we would prefer to avoid, as it is simply an added complication. That and I am not that charitable, nor is anyone else here. No one will pay the minting costs for every coin produced.

That being said, the design I create will not contain the PAX logo. Anyone who wishes to submit competing designs are welcome to, though.

Does this must be free, and not even non-profit limitation include chipping money in just to get the coins produced, or is this a limitation of once you get your coin(s) you can only give them out to people for free at PAX? i.e. Is it a problem if the coins were given to the people who contributed to the cost first, and then leftovers are handed out for free?

Dracil on
    3DS: 2105-8644-6304
    Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
    MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
  • Options
    iscribbleiscribble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think it's fine to give coins (first) to people who chipped in, as long as there is no correlation between how much they chipped in and how many coins they receive.

iscribble on
  • Options
    spydeyspydey Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think if you just charge enough to cover cost then you're ok.

spydey on
    cp468kw5.gif
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I just finished speaking with Northwest Territorial Mint. The only half-way economical option is to have dies cast with their overseas partners for $300 and at $5 per coin, which would give us an option of Antique brass, nickel, copper, shiny silver color, shiny gold color across the entire coin. There would be no adorning gold select around the edge. We WOULD be able to have a 3D design. The color would be uniform.
    Here's an example page of the types of finishes:

http://custom.nwtmint.com/minting_finishes.php

I would HIGHLY recommend going for the Antique finish. The reliefs of the coin (that which will at a lower altitude beneath the 3D design) will offer a very good contrast from the raised 3D design, enabling us to have a dark, eye-catching background against a lighter foreground for the 3D image.

Here's the prices of everything:
    $300 for casting the die
    $5 per coin
    ~$3 for shipping via Fedex

The whole process would take about four weeks according to Darrell at Northwest Territorial Mint. This means we need to get going on this NOW. WE NEED TO HAVE THE DIE CASTING MONEY BY THE END OF THE WEEK.

So here's how this would need to work:

We will use the ChipIn service (http://www.chipin.com/). I have set up a donation account under PAX Prime 2010 Challenge Coins. Here's the page for this donation drive:

http://pax2010challengecoins.chipin.com/pax-prime-2010-challenge-coins

The die will cost $300, so we would like to cover that cost first. We then need to raise $5 for every coin we will order. Shipping for each coin will be about $3 using Fedex. Shipping would be 4-5 days for the east coast, 2 days for west coast, and 1 to 2 days additional time for areas in between. If we gather the $300 by the end of the week, we can get the die cast and get things rolling.

So:
    Once we get $300 to cast the die, we'll be on our way.
    We are asking for an $8 donation for each coin. We can not mandate that you donate that much, or anything at all for that matter.
    We also can not stop you from asking for more than one coin.
    The above being taken into consideration, please be considerate of others in your requests.

Please also take into consideration Paypal fees, as described on the following page:
    https://www.paypal.com/cgi-bin/webscr?cmd=_display-fees-outside
    Essentially, if you transfer funds from your bank account or the funds in your paypal account, Paypal won't skim anything off the top. If you pay by debit or credit card or paypal credit, the fee will be 2.9% of the amount sent plus $0.30 USD.
    ALSO: Paypal transfers can take a number of days to complete. So PLEASE HELP AND DONATE TODAY.

If we do not raise $300 for the casting of the die by THE END OF THIS WEEK, there will not be enough time to have the coins cast and shipped to you. In this case, I will refund everyone's money.

Email me at papaprinnyA@Tgmail.com for your coin requests.

So you may be wondering: Where is the design?

I haven't got anything put together yet, but I have it planned and I have the photo for the 3D image taken already: It will feature a hand triumphantly holding a DS up in the air. We will have a latin motto at the top, PAX Prime 2010 at the bottom, Roman numeral MMX above that, and Pac-Man chips surrounding the coin on the left and right side, with a Pac-Man outline at the bottom-left and top-right starting points of these chips. The other side will feature a 2D relief of the PAX logo, or of something else. I need some suggestions as to what that other thing could be.

I will try my best to put together a rough design as soon as humanly possible. A lot of the design work will be handled by the Northwest Territorial Mint. Try to imagine the design as occurring on an antique coin such as the following:
    antique_bronze.jpg

Let me know if I'm forgetting anything or if you have any questions. I wrote this up as quickly as I could, so I'm sure I might have glossed over one thing or another or completely forgot something.

FYI: I hereby pledge $38 right now. I can not add it to the pool, as I am the "seller" according to Paypal. We now have 12% of the die cast funds.

strebalicious: I ask that you please update the OP with this info.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    iscribbleiscribble Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    spydey wrote: »
    I think if you just charge enough to cover cost then you're ok.

Sorry spydey, we've been over that. If we're using the PAX logo, then to "charge enough to cover cost" is still charging, which is against the rules as stated by Khoo.

See posts 102, 109 and 116 for reference.
    --
    Nicely done papaprinny! Great post!

iscribble on
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    My ChipIn is... Um... In!

akjak on
    Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    shdwcastershdwcaster South DakotaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Actually had to register and delurk to post here.

Been following the thread for a while, made my ChipIn for the die.

Hopefully we'll get it and I can go in for a couple of coins, one for me and one for my brother who's a vet and a huge PA fan.

shdwcaster on
  • Options
    chupamiubrechupamiubre Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok guys here and now before the end of tomorrow we have to decide to use the pax logo and hand them out like buttons or to use our own shit and let people buy them. Honestly this thread has been a shit storm for a while now. I applaud papaprinny on taking some kind of initiative and getting shit done, i would but i have no ability to draw at all.

I for one fully expect to buy as many coins as i want. The plan that is currently outlined is not allowed as khoo has said. If you donate money you will not necessarily get a coin we can not do a group buy using the PAX logo. So whatever the outcome is let it be but lets settle this once and for all it has gone on long enough as it is.

chupamiubre on
    <ZeroHourHero> I have a tiny penis
    <Qs23> I just need to get my dicks in a row
    <prox> i work for dicks
    #paforums_pax, all about the dicks.
  • Options
    inocuoinocuo Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Okay, I did my chipin. Hopefully we should get enough for the die soon. I'd really, really like to have one of these as a permanent memento of my one and probably only PAX.

inocuo on
    XBL FridayNext
    Steam inocuo
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Have a mockup.

paxprime2010challengeco.jpg

This is just me goofing with photoshop. The actual minting would look much nicer, and the DS won't be as faint, though it will likely lack the fine detail.

That's one side of the coin. It would essentially look like this.

Remember: We need the money for the die casting by FRIDAY.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    That's not a bad design.

We are also now 2/3 of the way there.

Dracil on
  • Options
    Moe FwackyMoe Fwacky Right Here, Right Now Drives a BuickModerator mod
    edited July 2010
    It seems redundant to have "2010" and "MMX" on the same side

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    strebaliciousstrebalicious Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Guess I don't really need to keep working on my crappy draft design then, huh?

heraldry.gif

strebalicious on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    YuritauYuritau CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    put in $33. less than $100 to go.

Yuritau on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Moe Fwacky wrote: »

Noted. Either the PAX Prime 2010 or the MMX will likely find its way to the other side.

Streb: I vote we go with a heraldry design for PAX East when the time comes. Prime can be the coins, East can be the coat of arms.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010

Noted. Either the PAX Prime 2010 or the MMX will likely find its way to the other side.

Streb: I vote we go with a heraldry design for PAX East when the time comes. Prime can be the coins, East can be the coat of arms.

doing some forward thinking, assuming coins were made again next year, and you stuck with the same company to make them, would it be any cheaper if you only had to have 1/2 of the die cast? i.e. the reverse of the coin stays the same, so they only had to make a new die for the front of the coin? if this were the case, it might be worth keeping any references to the year off the back of the coin.

just a thought.

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    LTAcostaLTAcosta Boston, MARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    I think having 2010 on there at all is a mistake... Do you really want to go through this hassle every year? I don't think that many people will find it to be worth the money to do it over and over every year. I personally would like to see it just say "Penny Arcade Expo" instead of "PAX Prime 2010". If you want to keep the MMX on there, then I suppose that is fine since thats when the coin was made, but I think overall this should just be the one coin we make for all PAXs, regardless of year, or prime/east.

LTAcosta on
    AN9buWz.png
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Kjeldor wrote: »

doing some forward thinking, assuming coins were made again next year, and you stuck with the same company to make them, would it be any cheaper if you only had to have 1/2 of the die cast? i.e. the reverse of the coin stays the same, so they only had to make a new die for the front of the coin? if this were the case, it might be worth keeping any references to the year off the back of the coin.

just a thought.

I'll ask NWTM whether this is the case. I'm not sure whether they would hold on to our die, and I can only imagine how much it would cost to ship something like that from overseas for me to hold on to. I'll look into it, though.
    LTAcosta wrote: »
    I think having 2010 on there at all is a mistake... Do you really want to go through this hassle every year? I don't think that many people will find it to be worth the money to do it over and over every year. I personally would like to see it just say "Penny Arcade Expo" instead of "PAX Prime 2010". If you want to keep the MMX on there, then I suppose that is fine since thats when the coin was made, but I think overall this should just be the one coin we make for all PAXs, regardless of year, or prime/east.

There's not much point to challenge coin collecting if every year is the same thing, imo. I had this in mind when creating the design. I for one would like to be able to collect a new design each year.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    ImperfectImperfect Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Just chipped in the remaining amount.

We are go!

Imperfect on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Except we need to agree on a design. I can see a reason to have the year and not to have the year. Some people certainly don't want to have to buy a new coin every year, and they just want the one challenge coin to say they have the PAX challenge coin. The coins aren't cheap, and having to re-make a die every year would be kinda expensive. On the other hand, having the year is nice so you can say you were at PAX that year. Otherwise, assuming the same challenge coin is available in future years, there's nothing to distinguish the different year attendees.

I'm fine with either way personally.

Dracil on
  • Options
    d3viouschimpd3viouschimp Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    hey everyone, anybody staying at any of the hostels besides the green tortoise?

d3viouschimp on
    You Just Got Outplayed! ;-)[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    hey everyone, anybody staying at any of the hostels besides the green tortoise?

You're in the wrong thread.

Edit: Actually scratch that, looks like you're just spamming. All 5 of your posts in different threads say the same thing.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The die is paid for.
    Thanks to everyone who chipped in.

Now we must finish our discussions on the design.
    I can't do anything with it now, as I am at work. However, tonight I will endeavor to finish the design on both sides. (See below)

Here's the thing though:
    Because I was short-sighted and in such a rush in my long-winded composition above, I gave the impression that this entire endeavor is going to be run by donations, and will not be a matter of people paying for individual coins. As a result, one person has donated toward the die with the intent of receiving some coins in return. This I cannot deny to that person. That person will get their coins.

However:
    I think it is best that we not use the PAX logo. This way, people will be able to say "Here's $16, send me two coins," and that person will receive his or her coins. If we were to use the PAX logo, we'd be running off donations, and there is no guarantee that each person would receive a coin. Without the PAX logo, everyone who pays the requisite amount will receive the coins they paid for. This makes bookkeeping on my end about ten times easier, and I won't have to turn anyone away by saying "sorry, we don't have enough funds." Additionally, leaving the PAX logo for Penny Arcade's exclusive use in the future will allow their own coins (should they choose to make them as Robert hinted at) stand out from our own.

That being the case,
    We need to come up with a design for the other side of the coin. I need ideas NOW, as I plan to finish the design tonight and call NWT Mint tomorrow to order the die to be cast.

So. Opposite side coin ideas. Need 'em now.
    Ready, set, GO!

papaprinny on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Dracil wrote: »
    Except we need to agree on a design. I can see a reason to have the year and not to have the year. Some people certainly don't want to have to buy a new coin every year, and they just want the one challenge coin to say they have the PAX challenge coin. The coins aren't cheap, and having to re-make a die every year would be kinda expensive. On the other hand, having the year is nice so you can say you were at PAX that year. Otherwise, assuming the same challenge coin is available in future years, there's nothing to distinguish the different year attendees.

I'm fine with either way personally.

Those who wish to have only one coin may purchase the PAX Prime 2010 coin. It is the very first, so it will trump all subsequent coins in terms of status/rank of the holder. If they want an end-all coin, this is the one to purchase. Subsequent coins for subsequent PAX events may be purchased by those who wish to have the new designs.

I personally like the idea of establishing a PAX coat of arms to address the issue of permanence. A coat of arms does not change with time. I propose that we therefore make a coat of arms whose design will never change. That being said, it will require a lot of time, thought, and vetting with the PAX community before its design is finalized. Fortunately, we have a lot of time to do that before East 2011 or Prime 2011.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    ArcoArco Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So, here's my thing. The coin looks great. The mockup is amazing, and props to papaprinny for his photoshop skills. I have no doubt that whatever design we go with, the end product will be professional, high quality, and well worth the effort (of which I've contributed very little).

That being said...

I don't like the DS being in the center of the coin like that. I feel like a compelling argument could be made for any system to be on the coin: 360, PS3, Wii, PC, dice, whatever. While there are indeed a great many DSs at PAX, there's nothing inherently PAX-ey about them. That coin reminds me more of Nintendo than it does of PAX.

That being said, here are my suggestions (since we're not going with any official logos):

Has anyone considered putting a shot of the WSCTC on the coin? Some of the coins with buildings on them look really good, and I personally have come to associate the WSCTC with PAX. Don't know if that feeling is universal enough for everyone, but I thought it was worthy of a suggestion.

The previous suggestion of several hands holding up stuff (DS, Wiimote, 360 controller, PS controller, mouse, dice bag, whatever) might work out well, given the superb quality of papaprinny's mockups and his ability to design. Can we try that, instead of just the DS?

Greek columns could also take the place of the hands, since we're going with the latin theme.

While the official PAX log can't be used, can we make something similar? I'm sure someone could come up with a snazzy logo incorporating the d-pad that wouldn't actually be the official one. The d-pad in general has become associated with PAX, and lots of unofficial event/project logos incorporate it.

Arco on
    Like this, not like the gas station.
    Organizer of the Post-PAX Party. You should come!
    Satellite Theater for life!
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    My only concern is if the PAX logo is not used (technically is there a specific "PAX Logo" that we can't use, or can we not use the letters PAX) is that the coin needs to be uniquely recognized as still being a PAX coin and not just some random coin that could be from any gaming convention.

i.e. when I think of logo, I think of Coca-Cola's red and white curvy thing, not the words Coca-Cola.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    Can we get the words "All Hail Ball" on there. You know, instead of "In God We Trust" on a real coin.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    My only concern is if the PAX logo is not used (technically is there a specific "PAX Logo" that we can't use, or can we not use the letters PAX) is that the coin needs to be uniquely recognized as still being a PAX coin and not just some random coin that could be from any gaming convention.

It's this concern that has held back production of this thing as long as it has. Prinney is going to go ahead with his idea. If you don't want to be a part of it, you're more than free to go the other route yourself.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Arco wrote: »
    I don't like the DS being in the center of the coin like that. I feel like a compelling argument could be made for any system to be on the coin: 360, PS3, Wii, PC, dice, whatever. While there are indeed a great many DSs at PAX, there's nothing inherently PAX-ey about them. That coin reminds me more of Nintendo than it does of PAX.

The DS held high is very evocative of one of the most iconic moments of PAX for anyone who has attended the concerts: You know the moments in those very special songs where people hold up their lighters? At PAX, we hold up DSes. It is akin to a deeply religious experience for many of the people involved. With that in mind:

I am going to replace the "PAX PRIME 2010" text on that side of the coin. It will likely be related to the image somehow, or to the motto, or it will be a sub-motto, likely in English. I need some suggestions there too. The PAX PRIME 2010 text will be moved to the other side, which will also feature the words "Welcome home". This being the case, it will most likely feature an image of the WSCTC, as I like the idea of using that image. Please provide some links or search results using Google image search. The less time I can spend searching for imagery and the more time I can spend designing, the better.
    The higher-resolution the image is, the better. The image that is selected will need to be provided to NWT Mint for use with the die. A 400x400 image, for instance, won't cut it.

As for the holding up of other systems... I'll need to have access to those systems first. That DS and that hand are my own... Where else do you suppose I got those? :P

papaprinny on
  • Options
    BigRedBigRed Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Can we get the words "All Hail Ball" on there. You know, instead of "In God We Trust" on a real coin.

What about "In Ball we trust" :P

BigRed on
    <MoeFwacky> besides, BigRed-Worky is right
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    But that's not the thing. The thing is "All Hail Ball".

Yes, I just said "the thing"... twice.

Edit: of course you could always use "In Moe We Trust" :D

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    beta_angelbeta_angel ColoradoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    That would infer we trust Moe. Do we?

beta_angel on
    UEAKCrash wrote:
    BETA IS FUCKING CREDIT TO TEAM.
    EvilBadman wrote:
    Beta_Angel is awesome. Never doubt this.
    TF2 Hatpack
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    I do

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    I've met Moe. Good guy. I'm not sure I trust him though, as evidenced by our attempt to find out whether he was a robot on the PAX Train... :whistle:

I considered All Hail Ball as well. Though I am an original Blue Ball stalwart from 2006, that's just the problem... It's a 5-year-old fad that hasn't really endured. I didn't personally think it to be appropriate, but I would have wanted to put it on there if it had been.

papaprinny on
  • Options
    KjeldorKjeldor Registered User, ClubPA regular
    edited July 2010
    i dunno if this is too much of a trying to beat the system thing, and I'm certainly not suggesting trying to do this for coins this year, but using the pricing in this thread as an example...

a donation page, where for every $8 that gets donated, the available stock of coins goes up by 1. You can donate any amount over $1, and the system just tracks overall donation level to update coin stock accordingly.

a separate coin ordering page, where you can order a coin, assuming stock is available.

So while your $8 donation doesn't guarantee you getting a coin, unless someone is constantly refreshing the page waiting for the stock to increase, you stand a pretty good chance of getting one.

perhaps it would be too close to buying a coin to get khoo approval, but the worst that can happen is that the powers that be say no.

perhaps even starting things off by collecting enough donations to start the page off with a stock of say, 50 coins.

Of course, the big problem I see with this idea is that the coin ordering has to be done in advance I would think, that you couldn't just go coin by coin. so maybe the idea sucks after all!

Kjeldor on
  • Options
    edited July 2010

It's this concern that has held back production of this thing as long as it has. Prinney is going to go ahead with his idea. If you don't want to be a part of it, you're more than free to go the other route yourself.

I may be wrong, but I'm sensing some hostility here. If I didn't trust papaprinny, I wouldn't have chipped in for the die.

I'm not saying we must have the words "PAX" or anything. I'm saying it should be identifiable as being from PAX. The image of the convention center, for example, would do that.

Dracil on
  • Options
    edited July 2010
    The word PAX is okay, it's just the logo that causes the issue.

Moe Fwacky on
    E6LkoFK.png

• Options
    edited July 2010
    Thanks for the clarification. I thought we weren't even allowed to say that, so that sounds great.

<- doesn't get the ball reference.

Dracil on
This discussion has been closed.