Options

[Thor] touch his hammer, you know you want it

WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
edited May 2011 in Graphic Violence
Poor Thor, although he's had some GREAT moments over the course of his decades long career, much of the time he served as that really really strong guy who gets beat up to make *insert name* seem REALLY REALLY REALLY strong.

He has always been an A-List marvel character without an A-List popularity. BUT NO MORE DAMMIT! Thor begins his brutal climb up the popularity ladder this Friday (stay after Iron Man 2 credits). With a full fledged movie (directed by an academy award winning director no less), a TV series to call his own, a DvD, a video game, and the central role in the most recent Marvel Event... Thor is finally getting the credit his 50 years of ass kicking deserves!


So HELL YEAH!

(Big Picture Thor)
12299storystory_full-2638210..jpg

But enough of that fanboy jizzing, lets get down to the nity gritty of it. Skip down to the bottom if you just want some nice pictures and comic book recommendations.

EVERYTHING ELSE IS SPOILER TAGGED TO MAKE SOME SPACE

But first a picture of Thor melting Capt. America's face off to set the appropriate tone.

page0203wn-1.jpg

This is where you ask
"Allright 'Pig gimmie the lowdown on this Thor fella."
Once upon a time, when humanity was young, there was a dude named Thor and he was a DICK. He made the jersey shore guys seem like lovable puppies. Some of his hobbies included constant sex, constant drinking, and starting fights that left thousands dead for the lolz. He pretty much only cared about "fight'in 'round the world" and killing anything that wasn't an Aryan god. Think Conan the Barbarian meets Jesus.

Then one day Thor decided to challenge his dad, pretty much the only ass he'd never kicked. After one epic fatherly bitch slap, Odin infused Thor's very being with an ordinary human named Donald blake. By forcing Thor inside of a mortal (and humble) human shell, he hoped to teach Thor some morality. And it worked for the most part. And thats why we have the Thor we do today.

Why you don't mess with Thor
ThorNutshot.jpg

AkA Thor's powers
Well, this is a tricky one. Thor's powers fluctuate more then any other comic characters I can think of. In one scene Hulk will punch him and give him a bloody nose and a black eye. In the next an entire city will fall on his head, and Thor will be 100% fine. Well, I guess the best way to address Thor's powers is to divide them into two camps.

Normal Thor: This is your everyday Thor. He's the Thor writers use when they want to have Thor interact with the rest of the marvel universe and not rape them all. He's not quite as tough as Hulk or Sentry, but he can break characters like Wolverine or Spider-Man in two with ease. He's got super strength, super toughness, an impressive healing factor (although he can't grow missing parts back). So almost all of Hulk's physical attributes on a slightly lesser scale. However he also has a very nifty hammer that does MASSIVE MASSIVE damage and lets him fly. Throw in the fact he can control lightning, rain, snow, ect and we have a godly force


Odinforce Thor: The odinforce is Thor's daddy's powers. Thor more or less inherited them when he became ruler of Asgard. He conveniently loses the Odinforce and gains it back to best fit the story. I guess the best way to describe the Odinforce Thor is like this... with the Odinforce Thor killed every superhero and villain on earth. Apparently killing the Hulk and Thing at the same time. Fuck dude, he MELTED Wolverine (skeleton and all) with his fuckin eyes. Thats how bad ass he is. Then Thor took over the world and enslaved humanity. For their own good of course :?

Atm Thor doesn't have the Odinforce. He just lost it fixing his hammer I guess... (once again it's all really fuzzy.) But now Sentry can be his equal.


Thors Supporting cast!
This asshat
thor-loki.jpg

Loki...
Loki is the god of overly complex and mirrors within mirrors scheming. Hell some of his schemes surpass time it's self. One could even say his entire past is one big mindfuck. He knows you know that he knows that you know that he knows that you know he knows that you know he plans on tricking you, and acts accordingly. The threads he weaves can connect the world's biggest players without them having the slightest idea. He truly is the best at what he does. He is the Lex Luthor/Joker of the avengers. Only he can be the archenemy of 616's greatest group of heroes.

It takes someone very special to be able to be obese, wear a pink tight suit, and STILL be considered bad ass.

Meet

KICK-Thor608.jpg

Volstagg!
Volstagg is arguably the most popular of Thor's secondary characters after Loki. He's arrogant, loud mouthed, smelly, and dumb but he's also wise, utterly loyal to Thor and his "brothers", and is the nicest son of a bitch you'll ever meet. Sadly, Volstagg has recently been set-up by Norman Osborn and is the catalyst for the current major event entitled Siege. Happily, as a result, Volstagg may also be the reason Norman is finally taken down!

I'll leave you with this highly sexually charged image.

Thor+Giant-Sized+1+-+volstagg1.jpg

Living proof that even gods can get Herpes!

castingcall-fandral.jpg

Fandral!
Along with Volstagg, Fandral is one of the Warriors Three, Thor's best friends! Think he looks allot like Green Arrow, I mean, Robin Hood? Well you would be right, it has been strongly suggested that Fandral was Robin Hood. Keep in mind he was Fandral BEFORE he was Robin Hood, so he was prob visiting earth to get some pussy (as he is prone to doing.) Fandral is everything you expect out of Robin Hood, he's dashing, witty, loves the ladies, and his shits smell like roses. His hobbies include making fat jokes every chance he gets...

1074727-volstagg__001__01__super.png

Even Asgardian's need that one minority friend

10317header_banner8418874.jpg

Hogun!
The Last of the Warriors Three, Hogun is the "grim" one. He's what you would get if you mixed Genghis Khan with Wolverine and a god. A fun fact, Hogun is NOT originally an Asgardian, although he has proven himself loyal to asgard ten-times over and is now considered an Asgardian. He doesn't talk much, but thats because he's prob to busy jamming an entire car down some internet troll's throat. Like Fandral and Volstagg he is fiercly loyal to Thor. He, along with volstagg and fandral went into self-exile once Thor was kicked out of Asgard.


"Fuck you Xena, I'm a fuckin god!"

sif-comic-584.jpg

Sif
Every superhero needs a trophy girlfriend (or boyfriend)... enter Sif. Sif is the typical tomboy trying to prove herself in the male dominated society. She has proven herself equally skilled in combat as any male warrior and then some. Personality wise nothing really stands out per-say, as she appears to stay somewhat to herself and prefers to speak with a sword. She's a quite and intense woman. She also acts as Thor's moral compass when he begins to stray back to his old ways. She is as fiercely loyal to Thor as the Warriors Three, but not mindlessly so (as the warriors three tend to be.) She's not afraid to stand up to Thor when she thinks he's wrong.


Because every superhero needs that whiny, bitchy, brooding character...


504866-balder.png

Balder
As you can tell, I'm not a HUGE fan of Balder. He's Thor's brother, and next in line to rule. Which is good, because he is often the only person Thor trusts to rule in his absences. He does have a whiny and generally emo aura about him though. But hey, I guess you really can't blame the guy. Poor fella spent his whole life knowing he would trigger Ragnarok. Oh well, even though I don't like him, he's a good guy and could very well be considered a main character in many Thor arcs. He's an important figure in the lore of Thor

Other characters to come...


Ok onto the main course!

Thor_3_DCP_0016.jpg

Recommended Comics! (PLEASE FEEL FREE TO RECOMMEND SOME, I WILL ADD THEM TO THE LIST!)

1. Avengers Disassembled: Thor (written by Michael Avon Oeming and Andrea Divito)
51S6YebG6hL._SL500_.jpg

Where better to start then the end? Errr, ok, well that doesn't make to much sense, but hear me out. this is Ragnarok, the end of Asgard and the death of Thor (a death that lasted far longer the Capt. America's mind you.) It may be hard to tell whose who, as pretty much every Thor character appears only to be killed, but sometimes it's best to just cannon ball on in. The story is pretty easy to get into, and it's the moment the slate was wiped clean for Thor to reappear years later in the form he's in now. It is a very dark story, full of blood and action. A smart place to start even if it's not the easiest.

2. Thor, Vol. 1 *onwards* (written by J. Michael Straczynski and illustrated by Olivier Coipel)
thor_vol1alt-01.jpg

Thor's back baby! After years of being dead and buried (see above) JMS brings Thor back to life in this widely acclaimed series. This series is just wonderfully written and wonderfully illustrated, I just cannot stress how much you need to pick up this series. If you want to see Iron-Man get whats coming to him, great comical moments, great action scenes, and touching moments... get this book. It has it all! And damn does it look good, the somewhat blocky characters may throw you off at first, but you'll fall in love with the art very quickly. JMS's writing can be a bit slow, but after a while the pacing, seems, I dunno... right.

3. Thor: Blood Oath (written by Michael Avon Oeming and illustraited by Scott Kolins)
12462694300.jpg

This may be my favorite mini-series of all time, as well as my favorite comic of all time. It's just pure unadulterated fun. There is no other way to explain it. Thor and his buddies the Warriors Three go on a modern quest to collect various magical items scattered all across the world. And the art, OMG, the art is just so crisp, clean, and bright it's an orgasm for the eyes. If you don't pick this up your a fool or don't Thor, I don't distinguish between the two though (I JEST!)

4. The Ultimates vol 1 + 2 (written by Mark Miller)
vrejvl.jpg

Honestly I recommended this to everyone whose even remotely interested in comics. Their both such tremendous reads. Ya it takes place in the ultimates universe and yeah Thor is only one of many main characters, but still, it provides a fresh and modern take on Thor, and has plenty of Thor kicking ass and taking names. Volume 2 has two of my very favorite Thor fights in it. And hell, even Volstagg makes a cameo.



PS- Ok, thats enough writing for now, I will go into current runs, and siege sometime within the next day. I may also condense the recommended reading section when doing so.

WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
Wishpig on
«13456717

Posts

  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Man, I loves me some Thor. He broke Iron Man when he was in all-out silly goose mode.
    Sentry beat him though.

    Solar on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Man, I loves me some Thor. He broke Iron Man when he was in all-out silly goose mode.
    Sentry beat him though.

    Never was a fan of Sentry, Hulk, or Superman. In fact i think their pretty damn lame characters. To me they always struck me as being uber-powerful for the coolness factor as opposed to Thor whose uber-powerfull because he's a freaking god. When Hulk trashes Iron-Man like a rag-doll I get the image of writers picking favorites or marvel trying to cator to hulk fans. As opposed to when Thor trashes Iron-Man like a rag-doll... that's like 1 + 1 = 2.

    I do understand the appeal Sentry and Hulk though. The average man turned into a god, not my cup of tea, but I see where others would really dig it. Never understood Superman though... so... he's an Alien and thus he can take a few nukes to the chest? Ya, i don't get the appeal in that, obviously I'm just missing it though, as the man of steel as legions of loyal fans, far more then Thor will ever have I reckon.

    Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

    Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What's the scene of Thor melting Cap from? I've seen that before, but can't remember where.

    Also, this thread needs more Nineties Shirtless Thor.

    Hensler on
  • Options
    DarkWarriorDarkWarrior __BANNED USERS regular
    edited May 2010
    Hulk at least can be interesting when they do something like WWH with him. Sentry is cursed to be forever lame.

    And that is a great OP.

    DarkWarrior on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    What's the scene of Thor melting Cap from? I've seen that before, but can't remember where.

    Also, this thread needs more Nineties Shirtless Thor.

    That is from the Reigning Arc... I haven't read it in a while, but I'll do my best sum it up for you off what I remember.
    I think at this point Odin had died (again) Thor got the Odinforce and Thor had recently split from his human counterpart (I believe it was Blake at this time, don't quote me though.) Thor started to get more and more sick of how humanity kept fighting amongst themselves and finally snapped. Without (Blake?) he didn't have his humanity and pretty much went into vengeful god mode. Thor's heart was in the right place, but he went about saving the world, by forcefully taking over the world. Of course superheroes and villains weren't to happy about this, so a huge war between earth and asgard was fought. Thor and fellow asgardians killed nearly every superhero and villian (from Hulk to Spider-Man) and gained world domination. He created peace at the cost of freedom. Predictably he came to his senses and undid everything that happened, keeping only his memories of the event. The only part I really loved about this arc was Loki. It was great to see him actually work alongside Thor. The two actually made a very efficient team.

    I was always disappointed how the war was never really shown... that would have made for a great mini-series. Kind of like siege, but with Asgard at full power and Thor with the Odinforce and Loki at his side.

    Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

    Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hulk at least can be interesting when they do something like WWH with him. Sentry is cursed to be forever lame.

    And that is a great OP.

    I must disagree, of course.

    Wildcat on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Dan Jurgens Thor run is very good, especially the second half of his run (#40ish to Oeming's arc). It was basically Thor going "you know what, maybe I should be more like a god" and it dealt with people believing in the norse gods as a religion once again.

    And then there was that very good Standoff crossover dealing with Thor protecting a country where a major religion was norse and Thor helps his followers, where Iron Man had Hulkbuster armor rigged to fight Thor, and Thor was so pissed at Cap he dented his shield.

    JMS's run would have been so much better had he not phoned in the last issues that seemed to be more of a "screw you" to Marvel than anything else.

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    HadjiQuestHadjiQuest Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Does JMS's run even have real closure, or did Gillen have to patch it all up?

    HadjiQuest on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    It's more the latter, especially in regards to Latveria

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So Thor had an eyepatch and a hobo beard?

    I mean, I'm not really surprised. It seems like tons of heroes have had eyepatches and hobo beards. It was the thing to do in the 90s. Well, that and pouches. That 90s Thor needs more pouches.

    Lucascraft on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    So Thor had an eyepatch and a hobo beard?

    I mean, I'm not really surprised. It seems like tons of heroes have had eyepatches and hobo beards. It was the thing to do in the 90s. Well, that and pouches. That 90s Thor needs more pouches.

    Lol your right... everyone and their mama wanted to look like a pirate.

    But to be fair, Thor had an eye-patch and beard so he would more resemble his father. Hell, I suppose he may have even torn out his own eye for "wisdom" like his pop.

    And he had a son that looked JUST like beardless Thor. The beard + eyepatch made them look like, um, not twins.

    odin.jpg

    Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

    Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Lucascraft wrote: »

    I mean, I'm not really surprised. It seems like tons of heroes have had eyepatches and hobo beards. It was the thing to do in the 90s. Well, that and pouches. That 90s Thor needs more pouches.

    He had battle armor with pouches for a while.

    Hensler on
  • Options
    Odin25306Odin25306 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    in the avengers dissembled i think he tore out both his eyes and then hung himself i think

    Odin25306 on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Odin25306 wrote: »
    in the avengers dissembled i think he tore out both his eyes and then hung himself i think

    Yup he did... he's a bad ass. The best was when he...
    Tore out one eye and then was told thats not good enough.

    Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

    Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Thor's always been cooler when he was schtupping Enchantress and not Sif.

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Anyone interested in Balder should check out the Balder the Brave mini Simonson drew and Buscema illustrated. I found it in a back issue bin a while back, and was pleasantly surprised by its quality. I think it was actually released in a hardcover a while back.

    For the adventures of young Thor, Loki, Sif, and Balder, check out Thor: Son of Asgard, which shows what Thor was like in his cocky youth, before he gained Mjolnir.

    Oh, and everyone should read Loki, by Rob Rodi and Esad Ribic. It examines the whole cycle of birth and death the Norse Gods are trapped in, and casts Loki as the sympathetic protagonist. And the art's damn beautiful.

    Munch on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Not sure if it's in trades, but I just read the Warren Ellis run of Thor and it's crazy but also pretty good, if a tad short.

    Hensler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Asgardians are actually aliens who just mimicked norse gods.

    It was an original idea, almost a sense of making the asgardians a bit like New Gods.

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    VapidVapid Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    No love for Beta Ray Bill?

    Vapid on
    POKEMON DIAMOND : 1418 4085 0727
    Mario Strikers: 266395 286788
    Like games/movies/other awesome stuff? Check ouy my blog: http://freakinawesome.wordpress.com/
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Vapid wrote: »
    No love for Beta Ray Bill?

    I'll add him into my character list sometime soon. Personally I never liked the guy, so he doesn't often come to mind, although he certainly is popular amongst Thor readers...

    I always thought he looked to much like a horse to take seriously.

    Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

    Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Beta Ray Bill is great, but Thunderstrike is the best non-Thor Thor character.

    Hensler on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Asgardians are actually aliens who just mimicked norse gods.

    It was an original idea, almost a sense of making the asgardians a bit like New Gods.
    In the 4th World books, aren't the remnants of the 3rd World shown to have various Norse items scattered among the ruins? I could have sworn I saw a scan of that, with the implication being that Kirby was kind of thumbing his nose at Marvel, after leaving the company.

    Munch on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    TexiKen wrote: »
    Asgardians are actually aliens who just mimicked norse gods.

    It was an original idea, almost a sense of making the asgardians a bit like New Gods.

    Yeah, I definitely got a modernized Kirby feel from Ellis' run.

    Hensler on
  • Options
    The Lovely BastardThe Lovely Bastard Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    dangit I want a new thor corps book, mini, one shot or anything

    I mean if The Ghost Riders can get one surely the Thor Corps can

    The Lovely Bastard on
    7656367.jpg
  • Options
    OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
  • Options
    Silver_MageSilver_Mage Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think I'm going to grab the JMS Thor Omnibus ultimate collection when that comes out. Im super excited for it.

    Silver_Mage on
  • Options
    Centipede DamascusCentipede Damascus Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh hey, are we talking about Thor in here?

    rubhishammer.png

    Centipede Damascus on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Am I the only one who thinks JMS' Thor run is overrated? It started out great, but drags there in the middle, and the ending doesn't really go anywhere until Gillen's finale issue cleaned it up. I know part of that is because of Siege and editorial, but it still doesn't seem like the best Thor story ever, like a lot of the sites make it out to be. I thought Dan Jurgens long run and the whole Buscema era were better stories than JMS'. But then again, I prefer more far out, Asgard/off-world Thor stories.

    Hensler on
  • Options
    TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    People just love to hate on Dan Jurgens, that's all.

    I like his run better than JMS', although I thought the beginning of the JMS run was a bit too preachy, especially #3 with [strike]Snidely Whiplash[/strike] Iron Man and "omg disaster movie Katrina scene."

    TexiKen on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks JMS' Thor run is overrated? It started out great, but drags there in the middle, and the ending doesn't really go anywhere until Gillen's finale issue cleaned it up. I know part of that is because of Siege and editorial, but it still doesn't seem like the best Thor story ever, like a lot of the sites make it out to be. I thought Dan Jurgens long run and the whole Buscema era were better stories than JMS'. But then again, I prefer more far out, Asgard/off-world Thor stories.

    Why would JMS's Thor run be any diffrent then pretty much anything else in entertainment or the arts? Everything has it's fans and haters. I've come across many people who dislike it. The whole run generally had a slower pace then most comics, many people don't want that in their comics... however, I think this is far less apparent to those who picked up the series in trade back than to those who read it issue to issue (the wait sometimes lasting up to three months.)

    My big beef was the whole Bill side story... it was fun and all, but took up way to much screen time. We get it, gods and humans can get along! Although I must say it was almost worth it for the ending.

    However, one thing I REALLY applauded was JMS's use of Thor's secondary cast (obviously minus Bill). He really brought Loki, Balder, Sif (errr, for a little bit), and the Warriors Three to life.

    One thing I also REALLY applaud the run for is the redesign of the characters. Balder especially needed to get a visual make over, now he looks so cool I actually look foward to seeing his whiny ass kissing face. And I never liked the look of Loki, but when we finally see Loki back in his real skin, he looked so perfect I was taken aback.

    PS- Side note, I'm reading some issues right now... I love how...
    Thor summons and flat out asks Captian America's spirit if he wants him to kill those responsible, then forces the entire world into a moment of silence. To me, that whole segment really captured everything that makes Thor such a great character and personality.

    Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

    Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    FuruFuru Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wishpig how is there no mention of Walt Simonson's run in the OP?

    Furu on
  • Options
    MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks JMS' Thor run is overrated? It started out great, but drags there in the middle, and the ending doesn't really go anywhere until Gillen's finale issue cleaned it up. I know part of that is because of Siege and editorial, but it still doesn't seem like the best Thor story ever, like a lot of the sites make it out to be. I thought Dan Jurgens long run and the whole Buscema era were better stories than JMS'. But then again, I prefer more far out, Asgard/off-world Thor stories.

    I HATED #3, and the rest had pacing and tonal problems. Besides #3, I never thought it was BAD, just slow and uneven, with as many odd low points as there were great high points.

    But yeah. We need more Simonson in here.

    FNFThorDentist03.jpg

    And Why I love Dan Jurgen's run.
    thor3.jpg

    MastaP on
  • Options
    zoezoe Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Two favorite moments of mine from Thor: God-Sized.
    4573835231_65c7634d6e_o.jpg

    I want to see more of this goat chariot for sure.
    4573835269_dcef2bbf20_o.jpg

    zoe on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Am I the only one who thinks JMS' Thor run is overrated? It started out great, but drags there in the middle, and the ending doesn't really go anywhere until Gillen's finale issue cleaned it up. I know part of that is because of Siege and editorial, but it still doesn't seem like the best Thor story ever, like a lot of the sites make it out to be. I thought Dan Jurgens long run and the whole Buscema era were better stories than JMS'. But then again, I prefer more far out, Asgard/off-world Thor stories.

    I thought JMS was great because it actually gave Thor some great character time. Not just hitty hitty time, but actually allowed you to see him and the supporting characters grow and interact etc. Also things did happen, Thor got evicted from Asgard and Loki's master plan which we see in Siege in many ways started in Thor. He only got 15 issues so it's not like he could do loads of stuff but he did establish the whole Asgard in Okhlahoma thing which was great and had the Bill and Kelda subplot which was awesome.

    Also Wishpig: I don't see how Hulk or Sentry or whoever being powerful because it's cool is any different from Thor being powerful, and I don't see how it's in some way acceptable and necessary for Thor to smash Iron Man but not for Hulk to smash Iron Man. What is the difference between those two?

    Solar on
  • Options
    WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MastaP wrote: »
    I HATED #3, and the rest had pacing and tonal problems. Besides #3, I never thought it was BAD, just slow and uneven, with as many odd low points as there were great high points.

    But yeah. We need more Simonson in here.



    And Why I love Dan Jurgen's run.
    You hated #3... christ... how!? I mean, I know I an't the only one who loved the s*** outta it, it got great reviews across the board. Oh well, I guess this goes back to the everything has haters and lovers post I made above.

    As far as Simonson, and other's past disassembled go, your gonna have to help me out, my memory doesn't stretch back that far (epilepsy drugs fried it.) The reigning is where I start to get really fuzzy.
    Solar wrote: »
    Also Wishpig: I don't see how Hulk or Sentry or whoever being powerful because it's cool is any different from Thor being powerful, and I don't see how it's in some way acceptable and necessary for Thor to smash Iron Man but not for Hulk to smash Iron Man. What the hell is the difference between those two?

    It sounds like you didn't read what I wrote if you asked those two questions. But maybe their not clear enough, so I'll do my best to re-sum it up.

    Hulk and Sentry are godly powerful to BE godly powerful, Thor is godly powerful because he has to be.

    Many Hulk and Sentry story arcs seem totally based around trying to prove how strong they are. Thor doesn't need to prove anything, his abilities are expected to be uber.
    Solar wrote: »
    and I don't see how it's in some way acceptable and necessary for Thor to smash Iron Man but not for Hulk to smash Iron Man. What the hell is the difference between those two?

    It's not anymore acceptable or necessary for Thor to smash Iron-Man than Iron-Man... just because I don't like the Hulk doesn't mean it's not acceptable or necessary for him too beat up Iron-Man. It was acceptable, because Hulk has a s*** load of fans that loved that moment. It was necessary because the writers needed to show that the face of America's defense couldn't stand up against Hulk.

    Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

    Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also, they needed to beat into the ground that the Hulk has no grasp of puny irony.

    Fencingsax on
  • Options
    MunchMunch Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    oh hey, are we talking about Thor in here?
    Man, I loved Sandman's Thor.

    Munch on
  • Options
    HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I liked The End League's version of Thor, where he was also Zombie Hulk. But I like everything Remender writes.

    Hensler on
  • Options
    SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Solar wrote: »
    Also Wishpig: I don't see how Hulk or Sentry or whoever being powerful because it's cool is any different from Thor being powerful, and I don't see how it's in some way acceptable and necessary for Thor to smash Iron Man but not for Hulk to smash Iron Man. What the hell is the difference between those two?

    It sounds like you didn't read what I wrote if you asked those two questions. But maybe their not clear enough, so I'll do my best to re-sum it up.

    Hulk and Sentry are godly powerful to BE godly powerful, Thor is godly powerful because he has to be.

    Many Hulk and Sentry story arcs seem totally based around trying to prove how strong they are. Thor doesn't need to prove anything, his abilities are expected to be uber.
    Solar wrote: »
    and I don't see how it's in some way acceptable and necessary for Thor to smash Iron Man but not for Hulk to smash Iron Man. What the hell is the difference between those two?

    It's not anymore acceptable or necessary for Thor to smash Iron-Man than Iron-Man... just because I don't like the Hulk doesn't mean it's not acceptable or necessary for him too beat up Iron-Man. It was acceptable, because Hulk has a s*** load of fans that loved that moment. It was necessary because the writers needed to show that the face of America's defense couldn't stand up against Hulk.

    Thor doesn't have to be immensely powerful, there are a number of other gods that a nowhere near his level, such as Athena, Baldur etc. Stan Lee chose to make him that powerful just as he chose to make the Hulk that powerful.

    And yes, we expect Thor to be uber, but when he shows his power is that him "proving" it or just using it? In your opinion it would seem that when Thor kicks major ass that's him just being awesome but when Hulk does it it's to make a point. I disagree that's the case, there's been times when both characters have displayed their abilities for both reasons.

    As for Hulk vs Iron Man, maybe you could argue that it was necessary to show that America's defense had nothing against the Green Scar. But I dispute the idea that when Thor does the same thing to Stark it's not the same case. If you're telling me that Thor on paper should have kicked his ass then yeah, he should, but so should Hulk or Sentry in a straight fight, it's not much of a contest.

    Dude, you are a massive fan of Thor, and that's OK. I am a massive fan of him too, I just don't agree when you say that Thor should be able to do all those things because he's Thor whereas with the other guys there's an ulterior motive on the writers part. That seems like double standards is all I'm saying.

    Solar on
  • Options
    cshadow42cshadow42 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Someone post a picture of female Thor from Earth-X.

    cshadow42 on
    MTGO Handle - ArtfulDodger
    Diablo 3 - ArtfulDodger#1572
    Minecraft - ArtfulDodger42
Sign In or Register to comment.