As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Thor] touch his hammer, you know you want it

• WishpigWishpig Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Solar wrote: »
    Wishpig wrote: »
    Also Wishpig: I don't see how Hulk or Sentry or whoever being powerful because it's cool is any different from Thor being powerful, and I don't see how it's in some way acceptable and necessary for Thor to smash Iron Man but not for Hulk to smash Iron Man. What the hell is the difference between those two?

It sounds like you didn't read what I wrote if you asked those two questions. But maybe their not clear enough, so I'll do my best to re-sum it up.

Hulk and Sentry are godly powerful to BE godly powerful, Thor is godly powerful because he has to be.

Many Hulk and Sentry story arcs seem totally based around trying to prove how strong they are. Thor doesn't need to prove anything, his abilities are expected to be uber.
    and I don't see how it's in some way acceptable and necessary for Thor to smash Iron Man but not for Hulk to smash Iron Man. What the hell is the difference between those two?

It's not anymore acceptable or necessary for Thor to smash Iron-Man than Iron-Man... just because I don't like the Hulk doesn't mean it's not acceptable or necessary for him too beat up Iron-Man. It was acceptable, because Hulk has a s*** load of fans that loved that moment. It was necessary because the writers needed to show that the face of America's defense couldn't stand up against Hulk.

Thor doesn't have to be immensely powerful, there are a number of other gods that a nowhere near his level, such as Athena, Baldur etc. Stan Lee chose to make him that powerful just as he chose to make the Hulk that powerful.

And yes, we expect Thor to be uber, but when he shows his power is that him "proving" it or just using it? In your opinion it would seem that when Thor kicks major ass that's him just being awesome but when Hulk does it it's to make a point. I disagree that's the case, there's been times when both characters have displayed their abilities for both reasons.

As for Hulk vs Iron Man, maybe you could argue that it was necessary to show that America's defense had nothing against the Green Scar. But I dispute the idea that when Thor does the same thing to Stark it's not the same case. If you're telling me that Thor on paper should have kicked his ass then yeah, he should, but so should Hulk or Sentry in a straight fight, it's not much of a contest.

Dude, you are a massive fan of Thor, and that's OK. I am a massive fan of him too, I just don't agree when you say that Thor should be able to do all those things because he's Thor whereas with the other guys there's an ulterior motive on the writers part. That seems like double standards is all I'm saying.

Well, as far as Athena and Baldur go... ya I have a problem with that. They just don't feel like gods. I think they need a mega power boost to live up to their names. I really don't think it makes sense Thor is so much stronger then, say, Ares. So yes, I've noticed that and never really liked it.

BtW I'm still pissed off at the Sentry vs Ares fight, it represents everything I dislike about Sentry. I feel real bad for Ares fans...

But bottom line is everything, EVERYTHING, you just said is true. I don't want to give off the feeling that how I feel about Hulk and Sentry is anything more then my opinion in my mind.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.
    622545-8-1261525714230.jpg

Image by Sharpwriter on deviantart.com
  • SolarSolar Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also Wishpig: I don't see how Hulk or Sentry or whoever being powerful because it's cool is any different from Thor being powerful, and I don't see how it's in some way acceptable and necessary for Thor to smash Iron Man but not for Hulk to smash Iron Man. What the hell is the difference between those two?

It sounds like you didn't read what I wrote if you asked those two questions. But maybe their not clear enough, so I'll do my best to re-sum it up.

Hulk and Sentry are godly powerful to BE godly powerful, Thor is godly powerful because he has to be.

Many Hulk and Sentry story arcs seem totally based around trying to prove how strong they are. Thor doesn't need to prove anything, his abilities are expected to be uber.
    and I don't see how it's in some way acceptable and necessary for Thor to smash Iron Man but not for Hulk to smash Iron Man. What the hell is the difference between those two?

It's not anymore acceptable or necessary for Thor to smash Iron-Man than Iron-Man... just because I don't like the Hulk doesn't mean it's not acceptable or necessary for him too beat up Iron-Man. It was acceptable, because Hulk has a s*** load of fans that loved that moment. It was necessary because the writers needed to show that the face of America's defense couldn't stand up against Hulk.

Thor doesn't have to be immensely powerful, there are a number of other gods that a nowhere near his level, such as Athena, Baldur etc. Stan Lee chose to make him that powerful just as he chose to make the Hulk that powerful.

And yes, we expect Thor to be uber, but when he shows his power is that him "proving" it or just using it? In your opinion it would seem that when Thor kicks major ass that's him just being awesome but when Hulk does it it's to make a point. I disagree that's the case, there's been times when both characters have displayed their abilities for both reasons.

As for Hulk vs Iron Man, maybe you could argue that it was necessary to show that America's defense had nothing against the Green Scar. But I dispute the idea that when Thor does the same thing to Stark it's not the same case. If you're telling me that Thor on paper should have kicked his ass then yeah, he should, but so should Hulk or Sentry in a straight fight, it's not much of a contest.

Dude, you are a massive fan of Thor, and that's OK. I am a massive fan of him too, I just don't agree when you say that Thor should be able to do all those things because he's Thor whereas with the other guys there's an ulterior motive on the writers part. That seems like double standards is all I'm saying.

Well, as far as Athena and Baldur go... ya I have a problem with that. They just don't feel like gods. I think they need a mega power boost to live up to their names. I really don't think it makes sense Thor is so much stronger then, say, Ares. So yes, I've noticed that and never really liked it.

BtW I'm still pissed off at the Sentry vs Ares fight, it represents everything I dislike about Sentry. I feel real bad for Ares fans...

But bottom line is everything, EVERYTHING, you just said is true. My feelings are merely opinions and the "vibe" I get from the characters. Our opinions obviously clash, but both of us are neither right nor wrong.

What was displayed in the fight against Ares that shows off your dislike of the Sentry (just curious). As for the idea that all the Gods are on Thor's level, I gotta say I really don't dig that, but like you said it's personal opinion. Honestly the Gods who have been around since the Thor restart by JMS seem just fine to me, classic Thor who is hard but isn't celestial killing, world-cracking silver age type Thor that he used to be.

Solar on
  • PantheraOncaPantheraOnca Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What was displayed in the fight against Ares that shows off your dislike of the Sentry (just curious). As for the idea that all the Gods are on Thor's level, I gotta say I really don't dig that, but like you said it's personal opinion. Honestly the Gods who have been around since the Thor restart by JMS seem just fine to me, classic Thor who is hard but isn't celestial killing, world-cracking silver age type Thor that he used to be.

i'm betting its how the fight turned out that he dislikes.

PantheraOnca on
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As someone who didn't like the Ares/Sentry showdown and really, really likes both characters (also to bring it into context of thread):

There was no fight, Sentry backhanded ares around and then tore him in half. It was a slaughter, and really unsatisfying.

If Thor fought Ares, in a similar context where it'd been built up to over a couple issues, then I think we would have gotten a longer fight than four pages and it'd have been more than one-sided.

We get that Bob is a god, really, we understand he's omnipotent by now.

But they just keep grinding away at that point.

Maticore on
    edited May 2010

Well, you know, I can dig that. As Munch said, comic book deaths: pretty much always lame. And he was getting pretty cool as well.

Solar on
  • HenslerHensler Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ares is my favorite new Marvel character in a long time - everything he's been in has been gold, and it just kind of sucked to see how one-sided the "fight" was between those two.

Hensler on
    edited May 2010

Well, you know, I can dig that. As Munch said, comic book deaths: pretty much always lame. And he was getting pretty cool as well.

I'm not an Ares fan... but I feel really bad for Ares fans. Pretty much what the guy above you said. Ares was yet ANOTHER piece of fodder thrown at Sentry to prove Sentry was uber uber strong. Also as the guy above me said... goddammit we get it!

And while I'm not an Ares fan, I was actually starting to like him, shame he was killed simply to prove a point. And he should have been able to put up somewhat of a fight.

Wishpig on
    WARNING: Picture below may cause spontaneous growth of facial hair and/or body hair.

edited May 2010
    Hensler wrote: »
    Ares is my favorite new Marvel character in a long time - everything he's been in has been gold, and it just kind of sucked to see how one-sided the "fight" was between those two.

I think they did the fight right, because they had set up Rob as this unstoppable force which could just kill anything, so really it was always going to be one-sided, but that the idea of the fight was poor. Put Ares against the Sentry in a straight fight and your not going to get anything even-sided out of that, what should have happened is either a) they didn't fight or b) they fought but Ares had something to big him up, like that Sword of Twilight he used in an annual a while back.

Solar on
    edited May 2010
    I have a feeling Sentry's on his way out the door (and by that I mean will die) I really don't see anyway out of the current situation then to put him down once and for all. Guy is FAR more of a danger then Hulk.

Wishpig on

edited May 2010
    Oh yeah, he's totally dead by the end of siege. A shame really, he had so much promise and it was never really allowed to shine. I know lots of people will be happy, I most certainly will not.

Solar on
    edited May 2010
    I really wonder who would win... Odinforce Thor or Sentry. Thor is much weaker, almost back to his "normal" levels now that he did the whole Odinforce hammer fix.

Odinforce Thor proved he could kill Hulk... along with everyother Marvel character.

Now that would be a fight! But I like that Thor no longer really has it, Odinforce makes him Superman strong, so strong he's not as interesting.

And yes, it's petty, but I hope Thor caves Sentry's skull in. Very much unlike Superman, Thor isn't "above" killing.

Wishpig on

edited May 2010
    Superman strong, so strong he's not as interesting.

Oh god, don't say that on this forum - you'll get 10 pages of people telling you why Superman is awesome and should actually be MORE powerful.

Hensler on
    edited May 2010
    I really wonder who would win... Odinforce Thor or Sentry. Thor is much weaker, almost back to his "normal" levels now that he did the whole Odinforce hammer fix.

Odinforce Thor proved he could kill Hulk... along with everyother Marvel character.

Now that would be a fight! But I like that Thor no longer really has it, Odinforce makes him Superman strong, so strong he's not as interesting.

And yes, it's petty, but I hope Thor caves Sentry's skull in. Very much unlike Superman, Thor isn't "above" killing.

Odinforce Thor was a bit rediculous, and he would probably do Sentry in given that he's actually, you know, not crazy. It would have been cool to see him fight some really high level guys but unfortunately unless you are cool with really messing up the status quo that can't really be done. The safe thing to do was to get him back down to normal levels and honestly he's had some good battles since then, fighting Doom in the Destroyer armour for one.

And even if you don't like a character, why wish him dead? Other readers do get enjoyment out of him, so why spoil their fun, just avoid the character you dislike, and if he's in a team book you read just enjoy the other stuff (don't want to get on your back buddy, it's just that comic book fans wishing characters dead really gets to me).

Solar on
    edited May 2010

And even if you don't like a character, why wish him dead? Other readers do get enjoyment out of him, so why spoil their fun, just avoid the character you dislike, and if he's in a team book you read just enjoy the other stuff (don't want to get on your back buddy, it's just that comic book fans wishing characters dead really gets to me).

Lol, oh friggin relax! I obviously don't have any friggin say on if he dies or not! I want him to get what he has coming!
    Guy just brutally murdered Ares, who really wasn't a bad guy, and who was actually a loving father. Not to mention the guys a nut-job and I think the biggest threat to earth atm.
    I'm not "spoiling anyone's fun" in any way by merely having an opinion. Also avoid sentry? How pray-tell would I do that without avoiding many of my other favorites. Guy seems to be everywhere, plus I love the Dark Avengers. Plus an important part many comics/movies/ect are characters you strongly dislike! If you liked everyone who the hell would you route for?

You have never cheered or felt even a hint of satisfaction when a character you disliked in a movie, videogame, comic, book, tv-show, ect, you disliked or felt had it coming got whacked? Well, if you did thats how I feel about sentry.

Wishpig on

edited May 2010

Lol, oh friggin relax! I obviously don't have any friggin say on if he dies or not! I want him to get what he has coming!
    Guy just brutally murdered Ares, who really wasn't a bad guy, and who was actually a loving father. Not to mention the guys a nut-job and I think the biggest threat to earth atm.
    I'm not "spoiling anyone's fun" in any way by merely having an opinion. Also avoid sentry? How pray-tell would I do that without avoiding many of my other favorites. Guy seems to be everywhere, plus I love the Dark Avengers. Plus an important part many comics/movies/ect are characters you strongly dislike! If you liked everyone who the hell would you route for?

You have never cheered or felt even a hint of satisfaction when a character you disliked in a movie, videogame, comic, book, tv-show, ect, you disliked or felt had it coming got whacked? Well, if you did thats how I feel about sentry.

I can't help it, I'm protective of my boy. ;-)

Solar on
    edited May 2010
    I can't help it, I'm protective of my boy. ;-)

Dude...

I was a fan of SFIV's Rufus BEFORE he was discovered to be high tier.

I love Mortal Kombat's Bo'Rai Cho.

I visit the bioware forums and like Oghren.

I like squats from warhammer 40k!

I know totally and exactly what you mean about being defensive ;) It really is hard to stand by and not defend something you love, even if it is over something like a videogame character or a comic character. It takes a very cool minded person to never take offense, and I am most certainly not in that cool-minded club.

Wishpig on

• WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I love the Sentry.

I totally want him dead though. Then I want Age of the Sentry back.

Wildcat on
  • MaticoreMaticore A Will To Power Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I think I could deal with the sentry coming back every four or so years in the same pattern he has been keeping up.

Show up -> Go Crazy -> Get Killed/Kill Himself/Throwselfintosun -> Disappear -> Show Up ad nausea

On a more topical note this thread's OP has convinced me that even though I don't really like Thor I haven't made enough of an effort to like Thor, and therefore I have added all of these books to my read list on Marvel Digital Comics unlimited.

Maticore on
    edited May 2010
    I LOVE the Blood Oath mini, it's fantastic and can be read pretty much at any point as it's so self-contained.

Wildcat on
    edited May 2010
    Maticore wrote: »
    On a more topical note this thread's OP has convinced me that even though I don't really like Thor I haven't made enough of an effort to like Thor, and therefore I have added all of these books to my read list on Marvel Digital Comics unlimited.

Good ;) I hope you enjoy! The first read on the list can be a pretty damn heavy and depressing read, so make sure your in the mood for that.
    Wildcat wrote: »
    I LOVE the Blood Oath mini, it's fantastic and can be read pretty much at any point as it's so self-contained.

Ya, it came out when Thor was dead... so it was made to be and essentially is a very good stand alone story. Some background on Thor + the cast can be helpful, but is hardly needed. Although with it's light-hearted and goofy tone, I wouldn't really use it as a way to test if you'll like Thor or not, as Thor today is far more brooding and serious now that he's king... errrr
    was king

Some Loki going over the top villainish. He's like Lex Luthor, meets joker, meets a god.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VDFnVXtG2zM

Wishpig on

• wwtMaskwwtMask Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I enjoyed JMS's run immensely for how it really gave the Asgardian characters a real sense of majesty and immensity. Everything about the story just seemed kinda big, but at the same time you get the feeling that all of the characters were being presented as fully three dimensional and not just caricatures. The contrast of Broxton and Asgard was played fairly well, and I actually grew to care about the town and its inhabitants.

Oh, and Kieron Gillen deserves huge props for batting cleanup on Thor. He didn't just follow up a defining run, he completed that defining run with, I think, a run of equal quality. If there is ever any question as to why Gillen should be given an exclusive contract with Marvel , I will point to his Thor issues.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A year or two back there was a sweet Thor run (I think by Fraction) with amazing art. All I remember was lots of snow and Thor killing huge troll like monsters. Also It might have been just before,during or after Thor brings Asgard to Ohio. If someone can hook me up with the issue#'s that would be the sweetest thing.

Like grandma home made apple pie sweet.

Caveman Paws on
  • MastaPMastaP Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A year or two back there was a sweet Thor run (I think by Fraction) with amazing art. All I remember was lots of snow and Thor killing huge troll like monsters. Also It might have been just before,during or after Thor brings Asgard to Ohio. If someone can hook me up with the issue#'s that would be the sweetest thing.

Three one shots called Ages of Thunder, Reign of Blood and Man of War.
    All published in 2008 and written by Fraction. They're set in the distant past and show Thor's arrogance and Odin's increasing impatience with it.

All collected in the Ages of Thunder trade which also include Thor God Sized Special

MastaP on
  • Caveman PawsCaveman Paws Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    MastaP wrote: »

Three one shots called Ages of Thunder, Reign of Blood and Man of War.
    All published in 2008 and written by Fraction. They're set in the distant past and show Thor's arrogance and Odin's increasing impatience with it.

All collected in the Ages of Thunder trade which also include Thor God Sized Special

IOU: My firstborn

Caveman Paws on
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, that string of one-shots pretty much sewed up Fraction's bid to write the Thor ongoing series. They were released at a time when JMS and Oliveti were putting out an issue every couple of months, and basically everyone was saying that Fraction should be writing Thor.

And I know this is wishful thinking on my part, but I wish they'd let Gillen do a backup feature in Thor featuring Balder or the Warriors Three or even Kelda.

wwtMask on
    When he dies, I hope they write "Worst Affirmative Action Hire, EVER" on his grave. His corpse should be trolled.
    Twitter - @liberaltruths | Google+ - http://gplus.to/wwtMask | Occupy Tallahassee
    edited May 2010
    I'm currently catching up on siege and the current Thor run. With big events like siege I put off REALLY reading them for a few months, and then catch up in bulk. Although I won't lie, once I found out what happened to Ares I may have caved a little.

Just read Thor 608. And holy s*** epic. And I'm loving the hell out of siege! I really couldn't have asked for a more spectacular way for Norman to get whats coming! Nor could I ask for a grander way for Thor to really come back into the Marvel scene, besides the very end of Secret Invasion, he's kinda been separated from the rest of the marvel world.

Once I am up to date, I'll update my OP with current runs and arcs that others have already recommended.

But I'll leave you with one of my favorite Thor moments! Even Capt. America's all like... "Oh shit..."

thorvsloki3.jpg

Wishpig on

• DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I know Thor is a badass, but shouldn't whoever the Norse god of war is be terrifying awesome, because you know, Vikings?

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2010
    Well, that's one of the reasons why I love the big foldout in Ultimates 2.

Wildcat on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    What's happening in that page? It looks like Ultimate Thor just taking out his frustration on Some Guy.

Lux on
  • Witch_Hunter_84Witch_Hunter_84 Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Exactly

Witch_Hunter_84 on
    If you can't beat them, arrange to have them beaten in your presence.
    edited May 2010
    Lux wrote: »
    What's happening in that page? It looks like Ultimate Thor just taking out his frustration on Some Guy.

Loki has been putting the mind-whammy on Thor, making him think he's just some Norwegian guy having hallucinations. Thor, however, sees through it.

"Then why are you still wet, Loki? And why I am I still holding the hammer, Loki?!"

We then get a wonderful 'oh shit' moment from Loki before Thor, as you say, takes out his frustration on him.

Wildcat on
    edited May 2010
    Well, that's one of the reasons why I love the big foldout in Ultimates 2.

That foldout page is an awesome moment to end all awesome moments.

Solar on
  • LuxLux Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

Loki has been putting the mind-whammy on Thor, making him think he's just some Norwegian guy having hallucinations. Thor, however, sees through it.

"Then why are you still wet, Loki? And why I am I still holding the hammer, Loki?!"

We then get a wonderful 'oh shit' moment from Loki before Thor, as you say, takes out his frustration on him.

I was confused by the civilian clothing. I think it's fun to imagine it as a pedestrian.

Lux on
    edited May 2010
    Hippy Thor in the Ultimates is just great all around.

wwtMask on
    edited May 2010

I was confused by the civilian clothing. I think it's fun to imagine it as a pedestrian.

I'm now imagining Thor just randomly thwacking every third passerby. :lol:

Wildcat on
    edited May 2010

Lol, thats why I didn't describe it as Thor beating down Loki, I thought the same thing when I saw it out of context.
    I know Thor is a badass, but shouldn't whoever the Norse god of war is be terrifying awesome, because you know, Vikings?

He isn't the Norse God of War, thats Tyr.

Now for fun, The Warriors Three in the upcoming movie! I must say, I love the fact they made Hogun asian. Someone was really doing their homework! I don't think thats been brought up in decades.

On the other side, whats up with casting Heimdel as a black dude? Oh well, fair trade off.

On a side yes, the actor for Volstagg will be wearing a big fat suit. And yes Ray Stevenson's character in HBO's Rome was somewhat similar to Volstagg, so a perfect fit!

thor-warriors-three.jpg

Wishpig on

edited May 2010
    Ray Stevenson in a fat suit should be in every movie.

Hensler on
  • DouglasDangerDouglasDanger PennsylvaniaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah, Tyr. Is Tyr is a huge badass?

DouglasDanger on
    edited May 2010
    Ah, Tyr. Is Tyr is a huge badass?

He's never really done much, though of late Gillen has made decent use of him.

Solar on
  • UnbrokenEvaUnbrokenEva HIGH ON THE WIRE BUT I WON'T TRIP ITRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    wwtMask wrote: »
    I enjoyed JMS's run immensely for how it really gave the Asgardian characters a real sense of majesty and immensity. Everything about the story just seemed kinda big, but at the same time you get the feeling that all of the characters were being presented as fully three dimensional and not just caricatures. The contrast of Broxton and Asgard was played fairly well, and I actually grew to care about the town and its inhabitants.

Oh, and Kieron Gillen deserves huge props for batting cleanup on Thor. He didn't just follow up a defining run, he completed that defining run with, I think, a run of equal quality. If there is ever any question as to why Gillen should be given an exclusive contract with Marvel , I will point to his Thor issues.

I've been a fan of Gillen's writing since Phonogram. I'd been reading his games journalism work over at RockPaperShotgun, and when he plugged Phonogram there I liked the sound of it. His Beta Ray Bill: Godhunter mini was enough to make leaving ol'horseface out of the OP a crime.

...I haven't read his Thor run yet. I am still reading through JMS' run in trades and am waiting for the third volume to come out in softcover. Would I miss out on a lot if I jumped ahead to Gillen's stuff?

UnbrokenEva on