As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Harry Dresden: Wizard, White Knight and Complete Dork.

• Options
    ShadeShade Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Mazzyx wrote: »
    Have a NOOK CC?.

Fixed that for you.

Shade on
  • Options
    Institutional PederastyInstitutional Pederasty Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Shade wrote: »
    Have a KINDLE CC?.

Fixed that for you.

Kindle 4 lyfe.

Institutional Pederasty on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    So, rereading the series again, and something occurred to me during Fool Moon. It's a good thing that Harry broke Michael's sword, because without Amorrachius Lea would have had nothing to trade to the vampires, and without that trade Harry wouldn't have started the war early. If he doesn't start it, the vampires do, when they're ready, which means more wizards would have died, and possibly the Red Court might have been able to win before the events of Changes.

Captain Carrot on
  • Options
    VerrVerr Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    It is almost as if this whole thing... was... planned. 8-)

Actually, i've said it before, and i'll say it again, the hallmark of good world building fiction writers is the masterful retconn. I seriously doubt Butcher knew where he'd be heading much farther than book 3 or 4 while writing 2. But good writers make it seem like they did.

Verr on
  • Options
    valhalla130valhalla130 13 Dark Shield Perceives the GodsRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    nikthenik wrote: »
    I just caught up with all the books and there is one thing that really bugs me. At some point during the books while Harry describes his sub-basement he starts saying that he has some uranium dust in a lead box. Is there a side story or something that explains how he got it?

There's a whole bunch of things in that basement that never get explained (lion testicles...), I think that was one of them.

I just got around to watching some of the Dresden TV series on Hulu, and its actually not bad. Several notable departures from the book, but by and large they work.

EDIT: Also read Aftermath recently, the story in Side Jobs about Murphy. It really puts the relationship between the two in a different light.
    Murphy is describes seeing Harry in action as terrifying- not the Scooby Doo run and scream terrifying, but a sense that you're totally outclassed and you'd better kill this thing NOW NOW NOW while you still have a chance.

Actually, the depleted uranium dus twas what he was using on the ghost in the hospital at the beginning of that one book. The dust was superheavy, so it was a component in something that would anchor the ghost to the real world.

valhalla130 on
    asxcjbppb2eo.jpg
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    nikthenik wrote: »
    I just caught up with all the books and there is one thing that really bugs me. At some point during the books while Harry describes his sub-basement he starts saying that he has some uranium dust in a lead box. Is there a side story or something that explains how he got it?

There's a whole bunch of things in that basement that never get explained (lion testicles...), I think that was one of them.

Actually, the depleted uranium dus twas what he was using on the ghost in the hospital at the beginning of that one book. The dust was superheavy, so it was a component in something that would anchor the ghost to the real world.

Yup. Depleted Uranium is a component (one of many, I believe) of the "ghost dust" Harry uses at the start of Grave Peril when he and Michael battle said ghost in said hospital.

It's one of the things that's referenced repeatedly, possibly every time after Grave Peril that Butcher gives a brief rundown of the lab, usually just before he goes on to detail Bob and his shelf.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MagicPrimeMagicPrime FiresideWizard Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    I got the hardback Side Jobs for 3 dollars at borders.

With $15 borders bucks and an employee coupon from a friend.

MagicPrime on
    BNet • magicprime#1430 | PSN/Steam • MagicPrime | Origin • FireSideWizard
    Critical Failures - Havenhold CampaignAugust St. Cloud (Human Ranger)
  • Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Forar wrote: »
    Yup. Depleted Uranium is a component (one of many, I believe) of the "ghost dust" Harry uses at the start of Grave Peril when he and Michael battle said ghost in said hospital.

It's one of the things that's referenced repeatedly, possibly every time after Grave Peril that Butcher gives a brief rundown of the lab, usually just before he goes on to detail Bob and his shelf.

The question was how he got it, not what it was for. And IIRC how he got it is never mentioned.

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    The question was how he got it, not what it was for. And IIRC how he got it is never mentioned.

I pithily wish to say "Err, magic?", but I suppose that given its apparent effects on (at least some) supernatural creatures, that might not be a terribly useful response. :P

However, with his various connections (even prior to being in better standing with the council) I don't find it very hard to suspend my disbelief on that point.

In thinking back, yeah, he's definitely mentioned that he's aware he shouldn't have it, and we know why he has it, but the How is definitely still in the air. Maybe it'll be addressed in a later story (in the event another comes up where ghosts play a big part) or perhaps a short story (seems like the kind of thing that would be fine faire for 20 pages, but not necessarily need to be part of a full book.

Two other thoughts just struck me (spoilers regarding the end of Changes):
    One: It could be dealt with when he recovers his gear yet again, assuming he'll need to hit up the boat/Lea/wherever/whomever has what's left of his stuff once he comes back.

Two: We know that Ghost dust is used to bind spectres to the real world. Harry is now a ghost. See where I'm going with this?

Either situation would be a prime chance to take a page or five to detail where it came from in the first place.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I thought the dust went up with his lab? Or was it in with the swords?

And I'm thinking being bound to the world with that stuff would hurt like hell. :D

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    I thought the dust went up with his lab? Or was it in with the swords?

Nope, pretty sure the depleted uranium
    went with the swords and other things that the authorities would be very unhappy to find out that he owned.

Forar on
  • Options
    AntimatterAntimatter Devo Was Right Gates of SteelRegistered User regular
    edited December 2010
    just finished Grave Peril

I need mooooooore

Antimatter on
  • Options
    edited December 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

I need mooooooore

Hah, wait til you hit the last book..

Phoenix-D on
  • Options
    MazzyxMazzyx Comedy Gold Registered User regular
    edited December 2010
    Antimatter wrote: »

I need mooooooore

It gets better. I would say Grave Peril is the real take off point of the series.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    So had to bring this back up. News about Ghost Story just came out. Sadly not great news.
    Following an in-interview announcement by Jim at MarsCon over the weekend, we’ve updated the site to reflect the new release date for Ghost Story: July 26, 2011.

We have to wait longer now. Ahh.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Wait, what, they already moved it from March to April, no, I won't accept another 4 month wait, I... I'm going to get a cookie and have a good sulk.

Not necessarily in that order.

:(

Forar on
  • Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Stupid delays!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    Captain CarrotCaptain Carrot Alexandria, VARegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    god damn it
    I just got the first six books for christmas, and got the rest a couple weeks ago from a couple of libraries

I was looking forward to it :C

Antimatter on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Dec 3, 2010. Heir discovers the kindle app for his iphone.

Jan 11, 2011. Heir has read all 11 books and Side Jobs in a little over a month.

Cannot wait for July.

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited January 2011
    Hey, I'm still waiting for Changes to come out in paperback. Even First Lord's Fury was a wait and I only read the Codex Alera a few months ago.

Although....I did find First Lord's Fury to be not as worth the wait as I expected.....

Nova_C on
  • Options
    edited January 2011
    Nova_C wrote: »
    Hey, I'm still waiting for Changes to come out in paperback. Even First Lord's Fury was a wait and I only read the Codex Alera a few months ago.

Although....I did find First Lord's Fury to be not as worth the wait as I expected.....

I found it one of the weakest in the series. Captain's Fury and Princep's Fury were the best in the series I think.

Mazzyx on
    u7stthr17eud.png
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Heir wrote: »

Jan 11, 2011. Heir has read all 11 books and Side Jobs in a little over a month.

Cannot wait for July.

there is a 12th one you are missing. Changes. That or you missed one in the middle

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    LadyMLadyM Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    These books, I've been meaning to start them for a long time. Think I'll take a trip to the library tomorrow . . .

LadyM on
  • Options
    I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell UpI'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    LadyM wrote: »
    These books, I've been meaning to start them for a long time. Think I'll take a trip to the library tomorrow . . .

You should, they are quite rad

I'd Fuck Chuck Lidell Up on
  • Options
    HeirHeir Ausitn, TXRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Heir wrote: »

Cannot wait for July.

there is a 12th one you are missing. Changes. That or you missed one in the middle

Yep, sorry, math was wrong. Regardless, I read them all. :)

Heir on
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    There are some things in these books that seem deliberately unexplained.

Like how Harry keeps up with movies without owning a tv or being able to operate machines. He may be able to go to a theatre now and then, but he acts as if he's watched some movies a dozen times or more. Maybe VHS, but that's way more advanced than 50s technology.

No biggy, though.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    Z0reZ0re Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Page- wrote: »

Like how Harry keeps up with movies without owning a tv or being able to operate machines. He may be able to go to a theatre now and then, but he acts as if he's watched some movies a dozen times or more. Maybe VHS, but that's way more advanced than 50s technology.

No biggy, though.

Well he didn't have a problem with technology until he was a teenager, and I'm figuring his dad took him to a lot of movies when he was young. Plus, if he sits near the front of the theater he shouldn't have much of an issue with modern projectors and as a wizard detective with virtually no social life he probably has quite a bit of free time at odd hours which could coincide with a lot of movie watching.

Z0re on
  • Options
    Raiden333Raiden333 Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Page- wrote: »

No biggy, though.

Q: How does Harry know so much about movies and TV?
    A (from Jim Butcher): He goes to the drive-in. Also, there’s a TV store near Wicker Park, and he sits on a bench across the street from it and watches shows with closed captioning. Yes, Harry is often like a sad Dickens character, standing outside the window looking in.

Raiden333 on
    There was a steam sig here. It's gone now.
  • Options
    Page-Page- Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Yeah, I figured it would be something like that. But after 8 books or so I also figured that if it hadn't already been explained, it wasn't going to be. And then his movie quotes become more numerous as time goes on and I know the author is just teasing.

There were some things said in the earlier books that must have been deliberate teases as well. I choose to look at them like that because I actually enjoyed the cheese.

Page- on
    Competitive Gaming and Writing Blog Updated in October: "Song (and Story) of the Day"
    Anyone want to beta read a paranormal mystery novella? Here's your chance.
    stream
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    It's also such a minor detail that a "Shrug" qualifies as an acceptable answer. Which is basically what Butcher did (they still have drive ins in Chicago?). He just does, same as everything else that would be tough with his 'condition'.

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    (they still have drive ins in Chicago?)

A quick Google search shows at least 3 on the outskirts, or so it seems. Perhaps in the Dresdenverse there are a few more? Wizards are long lived and have the potential to have immense funding available based purely on compound interest, maybe one or more have a few screens tucked off to the side where the supernatural element keep on top of the latest hollywood blockbusters.

Would be fun to see him and the Alpha's marathon'ing LOTR or Harry Potter along with mocking commentary.

Forar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Twilight! He could bring his brother!

Xeddicus on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    Xeddicus wrote: »
    Twilight! He could bring his brother!

"I never noticed it before, but you really do kind of sparkle in the sunlight! Just like them!"

"... I hate you so much right now."

"Maybe you can fight Billy for Georgia's affections? What do you think, Billy?"

"If you make Team anybody t-shirts, I will ensure the death of every character you ever play again in our Arcanos campaign."

Forar on
  • Options
    edited February 2011
    hahahahaha

that's great, Forar

Antimatter on
  • Options
    RchanenRchanen Registered User regular
    edited February 2011
    Nova_C wrote: »

I found it one of the weakest in the series. Captain's Fury and Princep's Fury were the best in the series I think.

First book is the weakest. 6th is much, much better than the First but still the second weakest. Academ's Fury is where the books start to get really goddamn good. Cursor's fury remains the best book in the series. IMHO.

For those of you who are paying attention. This means that 5 out of 6 books in this series are awesomesauce. The first book is a slog. Everything else, even the last book is one giant crowning moment of Awesome.

Rchanen on
  • Options
    Nova_CNova_C I have the need The need for speedRegistered User regular
    edited February 2011
    The last book was fine until the end.
    The whole thing with the two great furies and the Queen felt really anti-climatic. Like, he was trying so hard to make it epic that it felt contrived. I loved the book until the last battle started.

I much preferred the first to the last.

Nova_C on
  • Options
    WildcatWildcat Registered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Chapter 1 of Ghost Story released as a preview, anyone? Complete with surprise reappearance!

Wildcat on
  • Options
    edited March 2011
    I want to hold off.... fuck it, I'm getting coffee and enjoying this.

Hooray!

Edit: I like it. That's a good fix to tide me over until they release the damned book.

Forar on
  • Options
    JakarrdJakarrd In the belly of OklahomaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2011
    Gah, man, I hate you wildcat. Now I *really* want summer here for that damn book. *sigh*

Jakarrd on
    Greetings Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada.

76561197990097905.png