Options

[DnD] The Fantastical Contraption - Pt. 4 - Heart of Darkness

17810121352

Posts

  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Allright, ladies. 6 more gold apeice, and one hunk of metal. Heads up, Skarr!" he says as he lobs the metal at his brother.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skarr catches the metal fragment easily and shurgs as he tucks it into his pack. What in the Nine Hells was he supposed to do with this? Oh well, Skarr was sure it would come in handy eventually.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So, what's the next move, gents?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "I am getting tired of killing vermin," Daus said, forcing the last of his bite wounds to heal. "If we're going to continue, might we avoid further trips into closets and cellars?"

    I believe I need to save against the filth?
    Save vs. the Filth: 1d20 14

    If there's nothing else down here besides the exit -- which we should keep in mind should things go far south quickly -- I think we should head back up that chain and keep pushing through koblods and their pets until we find Dillibrac's widget. A couple characters are low on surges but no one's dead yet.

    I say short rest and move on.

    Daus: HP: 20/20, AC: 14, Fort: 10, Ref: 14, Will: 16, Surges: 2/6

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daus is safe from the fever. Korin also needs to make a save.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Im down for climbing back up the chain and hitting the main door in the pit room. I'll second the "short rest and go" motion. And do I need to make a filth roll at our rest, or is that just an extended?

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Ughhhhh..." Korin says, suddenly feeling drained, "Guys? I don't feel good..."

    Save vs. Filth - FAIL

    I don't know about going forward guys. We're run pretty ragged right now. I'll go with whatever you think we should do, though.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Whats the alternative? Could we conceivably make it back to Corran's to have an extended rest, try and heal all our filth and craft items? Farangu...would the cave have "respawned" by the time we got back?

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swanky it's only on extended rests you make the check to get better or worse.

    If you head back to Corran's, there's the chance that something will have moved into the cave. Alternatively, since there's only one exit to the outside from the cave, you could set up camp here. You'd likely hear anything coming down the chain, and you can rotate shifts watching the entrance.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skarr still has his daily, and doesn't care about the filth (yet). A short rest is all he needs or wants. IF we take the extended rest, we should set a watch and do it here.

    Skarr ain't going home yet.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    For those who feel like metagaming:
    There's only one more fight in this dungeon. That being said...there's a reason I kept it last.

    Use that to influence your decision as you will.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    All things above considered...I still have my daily; and dont need a surge (good since I only have one). So I'm down for the short rest. I dont know how bad off everyone else is, though.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I've got my daily, and plenty o' surges, I'm just worried about you guys.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, that's a majority for short rest. So...

    "There's no denying it: The brothers Corran are roughshod. Cuts, bruises, sore muscles between the 5, disease running rampant, energy dropping fast. Yet after a short breather, you push on. You climb the chain leading back up, and head to the pit room, ready to proceed down the only remaining path left. You do so, finding a staircase going up. After ascending about 30 feet, you find yourselves in a simple room. You see, seated in front of you, a simple kobold.

    Then he speaks.

    "You damn humiez! Why you gotta rek my planz? I'm gonna kill you lot!" As he stands, you notice a small trinket hanging around his neck. It seems to be a small cylinder, with intricate carvings on the sides of it. You recognize it from your drawings the night before.

    "Watch this...if you can!" He taps it twice...then disappears."

    Roll for initiative

    Map:
    chieftain.png

    C4 was the spot where you saw the chieftain last. Place yourselves in the bottom 6 squares.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swanky takes I3...and gives the room the once over.
    Initiative = 20
    Perception = 13


    "I, sir am no humie! You have incurred the wrath of Swanklecutt Corranson, the First, Esquire; prepare to taste halfling ire!" Swanky purposefully draws his sword and points it at the place where the kobold had stood when he started his speech. "Dammit, I have been working on this speech for a long time, and I really thought this was the perfect time to try it out. He WOULD disappear right in the middle of my monologue!"
    HP: 24/24 Surges: 1/7
    AC 16, Fort 12, Ref 16, Will 13
    Piercing Strike; Sly Flourish, Positioning Strike; Second Chance, Action Point; Blinding Barrage; The Filth

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    This kobold is stupider than Skarr is. Who dares to accuse an Orc of being a human? The nerve! Well, there was only one thing to do about that (once Swanky finishes his speech)....Crack his skull open and eat his brains. Hey...where'd he go?

    "Waaagh!"

    Skarr will start in I4

    Initiative = 7
    Perception = 8

    Stat Block:
    HP:28/31, AC:17, F:16, R:11, W:11, Surges: 8/12, Action Points: 1
    Effects: Filth Fever

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "STOP LYING!" Korin shouts angrily, "I'M NOT HUMAN AND YOU KNOW IT!"

    As the Kobold disappears, Korin groans, "Ugh, more Kobold-y tricks. Daus, Carrell, you're the smart ones! How can we find this guy?" He glances around the room, searching for the slightest hint of movement...

    Initiative- 8
    Perception- 9

    I'll take I5, then.

    STAT BLOCK
    Korin HP 28/28 Surges 5/10 AC 16 FORT 14 REF 11 WILL 15

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "I haven't looked much into invisibility spells," Daus admitted quietly. "Carrel?"
    Daus suspected the kobold would not stand still for long, and if he moved, he might make noise. Daus listened closely, trying to block out his less learned brothers.


    Arcana: 1d20+9 12
    To. To remember the basics about the most common invisibility spells, I guess.
    Perception: 1d20+1 18
    To try and hear, and possibly track his initial movements.
    Initiative: 1d20+0 14
    To get in line.
    I'll take J3.

    ... So, uh, Farangu. Would a Lighted invisible object give off light?

    Daus: HP: 20/20, AC: 14, Fort: 10, Ref: 14, Will: 16, Surges: 2/6

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    It might. It might not. Only one way to find out, isn't there?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Paging Carrel to the initiative desk

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    So I says to Maybelle, I says...

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I may be overstepping my bounds here but:

    Initiative for Carrel (as rolled by Steelhawk):

    1d20+4 = 19

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Actually, I was about to do the same thing, so you're fine there.

    NEW HOUSE RULE: If you don't post at all in two days time I start doing it for you until you come back.

    Initiative Order:
    Swanky: 20
    Carrel: 19
    Daus: 14
    Korin: 8
    Chieftain: 8
    Skarr: 7

    Stats:
    Chieftain: HP:124, AC:17, Fort:14, Ref:11, Will:13

    Map:
    chieftain1.png

    Up first: Swanky, Carrel, Daus, & Korin

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    With uncharacteristic haste, Daus moved deep into the room. At the very least, he knew, spreading out would make it easier to find the kobold. But if he was right, they would have little trouble, soon.

    The simplest way to trick someone, Daus had learned early, was to draw their attention elsewhere. Noises, smells, things falling off shelves, anything to distract the mind. A silent, lasting burst of light had gotten him out of more than one scuffle with his more emotional brothers, and had become as easy to create as breath. He knew where Dillibrac's trinket was, and that's all he needed. Whatever the kobold's method of hiding from sight was, Daus hoped it did not take into account a tricky, clever wizard and a spell as simple as breathing.

    Move to B1; I have the eight speed to get there thanks to Korin's Mantle of Readiness.

    Light on the cylinder around the chieftain's neck. It will shed bright light in the target's square and all squares within 4 squares of it. The light lasts for 5 minutes. Putting out the light is a free action.
    I'll keep the Standard action on hold until I know how that goes.

    Daus: HP: 20/20, AC: 14, Fort: 10, Ref: 14, Will: 16, Surges: 2/6

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Ah, but how do you SEE the cylinder? It's not just simply hanging in the air.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Light would be even less useful if it could not be used on things I was pretty sure were there but couldn't see. And it's not like nobody's hit invisible targets they knew were there before in this game.

    (I think) I know where the kobold is, so (I think) I know where the cylinder is. If I needed to see everything I cast Light on, then it'd be pretty useless in, say, absolute darkness, where it should be at its most useful.

    Unless the spell is worthless then, in which case...!!

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    ...Knew those mistakes would come back to bite me in the ass. Touche, salesman.


    "As Daus finishes chanting his chant, a bright light bursts forth from in front of you. Now you know where he is! Unfortunately, since the light is centered on him, you have to look into the bright light to try and hit him.

    Still, an improvement over the situation a few seconds ago!"

    Due to the light messing with your eyes when you look into it, attacks take a -2 penalty. It seems like your best bet would be to separate the widget from the kobold entirely.

    Edit: The light seems to be centered on C2.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    C2, huh.

    Daus' smile was wide and dazzling. He was twice again too clever for this kobold, leader or not. Even so, he stepped away; staying out of arm's reach had become an instinct, with his family.

    Using the Standard to shift to A1.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Does anyone want to take over for Carrel until he gets back?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swanky sprints forward, straight at the brightly lit cylinder. He dives passed what he can only assume is the invisible kobold still standing in the same spot and takes a swipe at the cylinder itself...
    Ok, heres where I have some questions. I am going to roll thievery to try and lift the cylinder. If thats "pick pocket check" it looks like I get a -10 for being in combat (if we are in combat). But pickpocket is describe in the PHB as being an act that the other party is unaware of. I dont care if the kobold sees me take it. This makes me lean towards maybe this is a "sleight of hand" check, which is not subject to the -10 penalty. But sleight of hand is generally performed on an "unattended" object, and the idea is that other people don't see you do it. So is this more similar to a "disable trap" check, since I am blatantly try to grab it? Also, it is tied around its neck, so if I need to change this post to reflect trying to cut the rope with one hand and grab the cylinder with the other, I can do that as well. So, anyhoo, I will roll a straight thievery and keep from concluding this post until you assess whatever penalties you deem necessary.

    ...
    1d20+11 = 12
    Critical fail. I win the internet. All those questions are pretty moot now, but can I still get a ruling in case I have to try again in subsequent rounds?

    End turn in C4...whoops, originally had Swanky ending in the same square as the light...

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    In this case, since the part is small enough to be used as an amulet, I would probably set it as a Sleight of Hand check.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Carrel steps up front, attempting to use his keen eyes to discern the kobold's shape from the light. He fails miserably, so decides to send a blast of fey energy in the general direction. But he mispronounces a word at the last second, leaving the only thing to come forth from his rod a puff of pink mist, and a sound like someone farting.

    He heaves a sigh, and looks over. "I hate to have to resort to stealing something from Swanky, but...filth and crapulence."

    Carrel: Move to F2, Minor to curse, Eldritch Blast on the Chieftain: Critical fail.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Paging Korin

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry for the delay, been a bit distracted lately. Anyway...

    "Good job, Daus! That's why you're the smart one!" Korin charges toward the light, and takes a swing, but fails to hit anything. "Gah! Someone hit this thing!"

    Move to D2
    Energizing Strike (Augment 0) - MISS

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Hee hee.

    "The kobold chieftain springs into action, his silhouette demoing his actions. First, he hefts his axe towards the dragonborn, aiming for his knees. Korin barely has time to sidestep. After that, he slides over towards Daus's direction, and squares up for a harsh kick to the groin. Unfortunately for Daus, he connects.

    The aftereffects are not pleasant."

    Chieftain: Knee Splitter vs. Korin, Miss. Shift to B2 and Cheap Shot vs. Daus; Hits his Fort for 2 damage,stunning him(save ends).

    No stat change

    Map:
    chieftain2.png

    Up next: Everybody

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daus made a sound like a leaking balloon. To his credit, he only teared up a little.

    Save against Inna Nertz: 1d20 12

    Somebody chop this guy's face off plzz

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    With a sour look on his face, Skarr stomps forewards into the fray. Moving past Carrel, and then in between Korin and Swanky, Skarr plants himself in a flanking position opposite Daus.

    "Stupid invisible kobold. You think Skarr is a humie? Skarr is hurt...Waaagh!"

    Bringing his axe high over his head, Skarr brings it down visciously on the source of the glowing light. The Kobold wails in agony and gushing blood is now visible as it spills everywhere.

    Minor: -
    Move: Move to C3
    Standard: Brute Strike vs. AC = 27. HIT!!! for 33 point of damage.

    That good enough for ya?

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "As blood rushes out from the kobold, some of it strikes the artifact around his neck. Suddenly, his cloak of invisibility fails him."

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Undeterred by the fact that this kobold is clearly trying to kill him and his brothers, Swanky rushes straight back at him, grabbing again for the tiny cylinder around his neck.
    1d20+11 = 15
    the great halfling thief strikes again...

    end turn at A3

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Well, you being a bird of prey, while a hilarious mental image, requires a few assumptions.

    1. You can get it off the kobold's neck.
    2. It's not damaged. (it's not)
    3. You can actually figure out how to use it.

    Farangu on
Sign In or Register to comment.