Options

[DnD] The Fantastical Contraption - Pt. 4 - Heart of Darkness

191012141552

Posts

  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skarr:
    The heat of the forge was something you once found comforting. Working with plain, true iron and steel - you identified with it. It was power, it was honest labor. But this material you have to work with? It just feels...weird. You don't quite master it, but you don't quite destroy it, either. You manage to shape an axe that you will feel comfortable slashing heads open with...but you think, deep down, that it could have been more.

    No extra properties - just a plain +1 Vanguard axe.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Bollux. I like extra damage...

    Endurance Check = 27

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Skarr also recovers completely from the filth fever.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Are you cool with me retraining Skarr out of Weapon Prof.(Execution Axe) and into Powerful Charge?

    I'm not 100% decided yet....just toying with feat choices.

    Edit: Done! Skarr is updated, click the link in my sig. I retrained that feat, bought Potent Challenge, sold my old axe and bought some healing potions for myself. I assumed we sold the gems and split the cash evenly. I also assumed we could do some shopping? Skarr is now a charge and smash your face in machine.

    Who gets the other two potions we found in the loot?

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Retraining is completely up to you guys.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Just waiting for Swanky to try his hand at item crafting, and then, if you're all ready, I'll progress the story.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Daus is updated once more. 'll take the -3 to checks against the disguise.
    Also of note: Sold Simbul's Conversion (what was I thinking) to get the money for Comrade's Succor; now we can pass around surges and not go into boss fights hoping the bad guys just ignore the flimsy characters.

    Speaking of, let's give the potions we found to the strikers; Korin and Daus can already heal, and if we need more than that, may as well spread the backups around.

    Also: Hi susan; welcome aboard.


    Daus returned, wearing his newly-made clothes. And with them a new face; fairer skin, a softer jawline, and hair blond enough to be nearly white. The contrast with his pitch-black leather outfit could not have been more deliberate.

    He looked about to say something significant, but froze when he spotted the warforged.

    "Was it... Vista?" he asked, finally, ancient cobwebs of memory brushed aside. "I suppose we could use the help."

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vista's eyes flash and she turns to Daus, "Yes Daus, I am Vista, and we have not seen eachother for many years now. I was put away by Master Corran after the incident with the traveling babysitter from town, though I would again like to point out that at the time my directives left very little room for interpretation of intent, and she was attempting to spank Swanky, so therefore my response was within expected parameters given the circumstances. Corran has updated my directives while I was inert, and now I am free to exercise more restraint and judgment in my actions while defending you from harm."

    "I would love to help you with anything you may require. I excel at lifting things, moving things, carrying things, and attacking things. Might I attack something for you? Perhaps those three? They look suspicious." Vista gestures towards the stunned Lost Boys and narrows her eyes staring at them.

    susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    "Don't worry about them," Daus said, dismissively. "They're all right, usually." He gave a short, sidelong glance at the terrified Lost Boys. "Hey Vista, let's head to the library. I need to find something, and we can catch up in private there."

    If you don't want me draggin' you around, susan, just say so and I'll edit this next bit out. 's just faster this way.

    Daus didn't actually wait to get to the library to start talking; only until he was sure he was out of earshot of the Boys.
    "Dad told you what happened to Carrel, right?" He was going to get straight to the point. The faster this was answered the better. "How the kobold got possessed by some fey-thing and... and vanished?" He paused, but only to glance around a corner for sight of his brothers. "Because I'm honestly expecting it to happen again. Maybe to one of us. What would-- what will you do when that happens?"

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Don't mind at all :) . Helps me get into character and get to know the principals and universe a bit better.

    Vista follows Daus into the hallway and listens to his question. With almost no pause, she responds, "I would use every option available to me to stay between you and the creature while at the same time using every power available to me to destroy it. My death would not be considered a failure if it ensured the safety of you and the other children of Corran, and I am prepared to do my job to the end at all times."

    Vista turns her head to Daus and asks a question, "Why do you believe the creature that attacked Carrel will return to attack you? And if it does, how should we address your need for safety with the need to discover Carrel's present location?"

    susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    I am very annoyed. I had a great post written up about Skarr dealing with this loss and turning to his books on Orc culture...finding solace in ways of Gruumsh and Orc grief (violent reprisal!), and forging his new axe with a nifty description....and then my dangling thumb hit the touchpad which clicked the back button and I lost it all. So all you're getting is this lameness. Damnit.

    Skarr returns to the household after a few days in his forest hideaway, and hits the forges. Upon his first sighting of Vista, and the explanation of who and what Vista is, all Skarr has to say is...."You've been here all this time. Tireless and uncomplaining and yet I've had to do all of the wood chopping? Sometimes, I really hate all of you."

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oh Swanky, make your item so we can proceed so I can TPK you all

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Sorry for MIA; super busy. Two points of order on the rolls: 1) Swanky and his Int mod do not get along, and 2) there's 2 rolls on Orokos for this b/c I screwed up the syntax of the first one (ended up rolling a -97).

    1d20-1 (int mod) = 11
    1d20+4 (highest mod) = 13
    1d20-1 (lowest mod) = 0...yep 0


    Swanky never was one for sitting down for a long time to do a project. That did not change when he attempted to put together his armor. He toiled for a grueling half hour (a long time for his attention span) on the make-shift workbench he had set up out back. Despite his best efforts at failure, he did end up with something workable.

    When Swanky saw Vista in the house, he looked immediately uncomfortable. "Uh, hi. In the interest of full disclosure, I may have borrowed some of your parts awhile back. I'm sure dad put you all back together 100% though before he activated you, though!" he said to the warforged while giving a reassuring thumbs up.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Uh, Swanky, the item rolls were d10's, not d20's. If you could possibly redo those...

    Farangu on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Vista turns to swanky and speaks, "Yes Swanky, I did take note that several of my pieces had been removed, some of which have been replaced. I am pleased to say that none of my core functions have been compromised and my logic and reasoning drives are operating at a respectable 72% efficiency. I will miss my automated shoulder crossbow, however I am confident that very soon I should be able to locate the parts to make an adequate replacement." Vista glances to her left shoulder where a compartment opens up and gears start to sound as though raising something from within, but sadly nothing is produced from this effort.

    susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Oops, I win the internet

    1d10-1=6
    1d10+4=12
    1d10-1=4

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited June 2010
    Swanky:
    You had problems enough working with just plain old leather. This leather is covered in toxins. That, coupled with the stench of the chemicals used to manipulate leather, made it very difficult to concentrate. Still, you manage to impart a couple of your signature touches into the armor.

    Choose one of the following properties to add onto your armor:
    Poison resistance 1
    +2 to Nature skill checks
    Enemies attempting to grab you take a -2 penalty to the check

    Ok, all the characters are updated. Moving on:

    "It's been a week since your return to the Reach. You've been busy, turning your found trinkets into usable items. You haven't seen Corran at all in this time; he's been locked away in his workshop and library. You knew he'd take the news about Carrel hard, but this is bordering slightly on the long side. Finally, he emerges one day. He smells terrible.

    "Boys, I want you to know that I want to finish this project. For his sake. Now, the good news is the location of the next piece. It's in a small village, right near the Gnarwood Chain. Shouldn't be difficult to find. The bad news, is...I'm going to need some...'documentation' to properly make heads or tails out of this first piece. There once was an old library, nestled in a cave on the other side of the mountain that holds Highspring. There should be an old tome there, On The Probablities of Fantastical Science. I need that book.

    The library should be deserted, and the village has only simple farmer folk in it. I want EVERYONE coming home this time. Understood?""

    The Gnarwood Chain is easy to find. On the region map, you'll see a few isolated patches of forest, stretching between the Gnarwood and the woods on the coast of the Glimmer Run. This is the Gnarwood Chain, and the village is settled right between the two larger patches. Highspring is marked on the map.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Where to first? Vista will side with whatever route gets 2 votes first.

    susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "We might find all sorts of interesting works in the library," Daus mused. "Spells and rituals. Simple advice on weapon-making. Information on powerful Fey entities. Ioun willing."

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Skarr shrugs, a nasty look on his face. He didn't care where they went, he just wanted to go.

    ONWARDS!!!

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Korin seems more thoughtful than usual, actually considering his options before saying anything. "Well, I say we go to the library first. I don't know how a quiet farming village will react to Skarr."

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, it looks like the library wins.

    "After conversing with each other, and acknowledging Corran's directive, it is decided. You will head for the library first, and swing north to the village afterward. With that established, you all say your goodbyes, and head out. As you leave, you catch sight of the Lost Boys sneaking their way in the back. Soon after, you hear much cursing and wailing.

    Life is beginning to return to normal.

    It takes a solid two days to reach the city of Highspring. Built into the side of the mountain, it has long been known as a dwarven sanctuary, dwarves having taken the brunt of the beatings in the War of the Crossbow Wedding of 818. As such, they remain to this day distrustful of any race aside from their own. That suits you just fine; your business isn't with them. You begin your trek around the side of the mountain.

    As you approach the far side of the peak, you see a large, not particularly inviting hole in the mountainside. As you approach, you also notice small reptilian tracks disturbing the fine sand that spills out of the cave before you. A nearby pile of sharp, jagged rocks has been haphazardly piled outside of the cave."

    Farangu on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Nature Check: 11

    susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Try changing that to a perception

    Farangu on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Perception: 11. Noticing a trend...

    susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited July 2010

    Stealth - 1d20+10 = 15
    Perception - 1d20+6=21
    I'll take the -2 to being grabbed mod, also I would like a rape whistle :)


    Swanky cracked his knuckles, and as Vista was leaning forward to survey the area, he said "Step aside, bolts. Swanky's got this under control." With that he crept towards the pile of rocks to get a better look.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Swanky:
    You find multiple kobold tracks, a couple of larger reptilian prints as wide as a dragonborn’s foot, and small tracks that appear to belong to either a drake or dragon.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Ok, holiday weekend's over. Time to get back to it.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Swanky slinks back to the group with a look that screams bad news. "Looks like some of our familiar kobold friends...maybe some Korin-kin...aaaaaaand maybe something bigger. I'm not trying to use the D-word, here, but, ya know, its a distinct possibility."

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Then count on it," Daus said. "Kobolds get along well with young dragons, and even older ones might make use of them, I suspect."

    Daus thought briefly on the twin dragon gods' respective attitudes towards invention, but quickly discarded that line of thought as unnecessary at the moment.

    Religion: 1d20+10 12
    Gettin' my bad rolls out of the way before the fighting starts via knowledge checks. This is my strategy.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Good. Skarr is getting hungry."

    You can't quite tell if Skarr is joking or not. He probably is. Probably.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Maybe I should talk to them? I mean, I've never talked to people like... well, me, but they might be more friendly to others of our kind. Besides, it's that or a fight anyway, right?" Korin shrugs, "Plus, it might be nice to talk to some of my own for once, even if they turn out to be jerks."

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vista turns to Korin, "Will you have a signal for us to charge in and do violence should your negotiations falter? I would not like to leave you out front unprotected."

    susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "You don't know this because you're new," Korin says with a grin, "But if I get in trouble, you'll hear it."

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    So what's the plan then, gents

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    If Skarr had his way, Skarr would kick in the door and take what he wanted to. But he knows his brothers are a little less aggressive than Skarr is. With a moment of clarity, Skarr comes to conclusion.

    "If we kill them, or if we talk to them, we still have to enter the cave, right? So stop loafing, and lets enter the cave."

    Skarr strides purposefully towards the cave entrance, senses alert for danger and his axe at the ready.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    susansusan Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Vista would never let one of the children move into harms way without her support, so as she sees Skaar unsheathe his axe and move towards the door, Vista follows in kind. She matches step with the Fighter, drawing her own Greatsword from a black and red leather sheath and preparing herself for whatever may be through that door.

    susan on
    2010 PAX DM Challenge Grand Champion
    2011 PAX Warmachine/Hordes Champion
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Well, it's more of a hole in the wall than a door, but I get the idea.

    "As your group ventures forth into the cave, you enter a small antechamber. You can see flickers of light around the corner. You also thought you heard some chatter and something metallic striking a wall, but very quickly the noise disappears."

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    "Best get your talking done before there's any bloodshed," Daus advised Korin. "Have at it."

    This was likely to go terribly, but Daus could think of little that could be done to avert any coming disaster.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited July 2010
    Korin nods seriously, then steps with purpose into the cave.

    In Draconic, he shouts, "Hello, friend... dragonkin! Uh, how goes it? Good?"

    Diplomacy: 27!

    Apparently Korin's actually pretty smooth. Maybe his awkwardness is endearing. :P

    Kinahto on
Sign In or Register to comment.