Options

[DnD] The Fantastical Contraption - Pt. 4 - Heart of Darkness

1356752

Posts

  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Hanging towards the back of the group, Carrel gets ready for battle.

    Start in E8

    Initiative: 1d20+4 = 23

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Yyyyessss!" Swanky nearly jumped out of his boots at the thought of some excitement!

    OOC:
    Initiative = 25
    Start in last available.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Enemy info:
    Slinger(C2): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C10): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C11): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Dragonshield(D5): HP: 36, AC: 18, Fort: 14, Ref: 13, Will: 13
    Pikeman(E9): HP: 42, AC: 15, Fort: 14, Ref: 14, Will: 13

    Map:
    banditlairdoor2.png

    Up first: Swanky & Carrel, You two can act in any order.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky looked longingly at the platform...then shook his head. No, he thought, not yet.

    He drew his short sword and laughed at the Dragonshield. He charged straight at it, only spinning at the last second to thrust his blade into the side of the creature, then skillfully crouching back to his original position.

    OOC:
    Piercing Strike: Dex v Ref
    1d20+9 (+4dex bonus, +3proficiency, +1weapon, +1weapon expertise)=19 HIT
    Attack Damage 1d6+5 = 9
    Challenge Seeking Shortsword 1d6 = 2
    Sneak Attack (I have CA from First Strike) 2d6 = 6
    Total Damage = 17
    I think this is all correct


    Statline:
    Hp: 20/24
    AC: 16
    Fort:12
    Ref: 16
    Will: 13

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You can run past and leap to the platform, but that would entail a few things.

    1. Acrobatics check to avoid knocking Skarr off the platform or stumbling and falling yourself.
    2. The Dragonshield would get to make an opportunity attack against you.
    3. Athletics check to leap and grab onto the platform.

    Alternatively, you can make a melee attack diagonally at the Dragonshield.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel faces the enemy on their rear and taps his staff on the ground, and the pike wielding beast is enveloped in a purple energy. Carrel first a blast of energy at the pikeman's eyes, giving it a chance to take a swing at him before it connects, but it goes wild at the last second and completely misses.

    Warlock's Curse on Pikeman

    Eyebite on Pikeman, provokes an OA, 1d20+4 vs Will = 6 - MISS!

    Uh... I was going to do an "up next", but theres no initiative list.

    Edit: UP NEXT: Dragonshield

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    D'oh...knew I forgot something.

    Initiative:
    Swanky - 25
    Carrel - 23
    Dragonshield - 22
    Scarr - 20
    Slingers - 19
    Korin - 14
    Pikeman - 4
    Daus - 3

    Also, if each of you could once per page post a stat block of your defenses and HP total, so I don't have to have your sheets up all the time or go looking for them, that'd be groovy.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The kobold howls at the creature that wounded it so, and swings his sword at the halfling. The wound that he draws is superficial, but the taunts he throws...such nerve! Swanky can barely pay attention to anything else.

    Dragonshield: Sword attack towards Swanky, HIT for 4 damage, and Swanky is marked by the Dragonshield.

    Enemy info:
    Slinger(C2): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C10): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C11): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Dragonshield(D5): HP: 21, Bloodied, AC: 18, Fort: 14, Ref: 13, Will: 13
    Pikeman(E9): HP: 42, AC: 15, Fort: 14, Ref: 14, Will: 13

    No map change

    Up next: Scarr

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Should really stop trying to do two things at once...

    The pike...kobold doesn't much care for Carrel's attempts at warlockery. He tries to interlude with his pike, but doesn't manage to accomplish anything.

    Opportunity attack against Carrel's spell; Miss.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seeing the kobold dragonshield would his little brother, Skarr sees red. All the years of repressing his Orcish heritage has just been given permission to express itself. With a mighty roar, Skarr is finally unleashed. Bringing his axe up and around, Skarr drives it down into the Dragonshields shoulder. Seeing that its not yet dead, Skarr growls "You will die by my hand, Kobold!"

    Move Action: -
    Standard Action: Brash Strike vs. AC = 22, Damage = 10
    Minor Action: Mark the Dragonshield.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The slingers standing on the alcoves above you wind up and release their projectiles. Only the one intended for the rogue finds its mark, although it lumps him on the head pretty nicely.

    Slingers: attacks towards Swanky(HIT for 7 damage), Carrel(Crit Fail) and Daus(Miss).

    Enemy info:
    Slinger(C2): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C10): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C11): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Dragonshield(D5): HP: 11, Bloodied, AC: 18, Fort: 14, Ref: 13, Will: 13
    Pikeman(E9): HP: 42, AC: 15, Fort: 14, Ref: 14, Will: 13

    Up Next: Korin

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Don't worry, Swanky!" Korin shouts as he swings his glaive down onto the Dragonshield, striking a mighty blow leaving it near death. "See, this guy's a pushover!" Seeing Korin's attack somehow helps Swanky ignore his own wounds.

    He then does absolutely nothing else, and if you thought he did do something, you're obviously not paying enough attention. Shame on you.

    Energizing Strike (Augment 0) on Dragonshield - HIT! for 9 damage.Swanky gains 4 temporary HP.
    And then nothing else happens. EVER.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010

    Nothing to see here

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Knew I should have clarified this...

    The only viable spaces are the ones you started in, the one occupied by the Dragonshield, and the platforms. The rest is background, and not viable move spaces. So nothing after Korin's Energizing strike could legally have happened.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    DAMN YOU! Okay, editing the original post for the proper actions then.

    EDIT: Oh, and UP NEXT: Pikeman

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The pikeman tries to utilize his weapon's length to corral the gnome where he wants him, but the warlock is smart enough to dodge the attack and maintain his ground.

    Pikeman: Warding Strike on Carrel, Miss.

    No map change

    Up next: Daus, Carrel & Swanky

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Daus considered their little battlefield. Perhaps he thought too hard, or too long; the fight was well underway by the time he began to draw the world-altering sense-magics he had spent so long learning. So much of life lied in how one perceived it. He lifted his orb overhead. A small mechanical wonder, if he said so himself; a trickle of arcane power would spin hidden gears and coil hidden springs, grabbing hold of the power and wrapping it, strengthening it. If one held closely, he could even hear the mechanisms at work. To the unknowing, it might appear but a simple silvery ball. Or it might be seen as the chosen implement of a powerful and deadly master of the arcane. It was neither of those, but with the proper theatrics?

    Bright purple light erupted from the orb, visible and eye-catching in the midday sun.

    "Come, demon! Come, assassin! Come, shadow!" Perhaps it was unwise to draw so much attention to himself. Too late to turn back. "I give these to you! Drag them to your pit of hate! Playthings for your dark master!" Though perhaps he... overperformed that.

    Shadows leapt from every stone and crevice around the unattended kobolds; they tore at everything they could reach, and would continue to do so until the spell faded. Unreal, but only a little less dangerous to those who knew.

    Minor Action: Light cast on Daus' orb implement
    Bluff: 1d20+10 13 Not to do anything, just for rolerolling.
    Standard Action:
    Grasping Shadows centered on D10
    C10: 1d20+6 9 Miss
    C11: 1d20+6 14 1d8+5 11
    E9: 1d20+6 16 1d8+5 6
    Until the end of my next turn, any creature that enters the target area will take 4 psychic damage and be slowed until the end of their next turn.

    Carrel and Swanky are still up, then Dragonshield if it's alive by then.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The time had come, the temptation was too tremendous. It was against his better judgment, but then again his better judgment had never been a terribly influential force in his life. Swanky tore towards the platform that the single Slinger was perched on. He darted through Skarr's legs, tumbled past the Dragonshield and began to scale the platform.

    Acrobatics Check and Athletics Check are both 21
    AC is 22 vs AOO from Dragonshield
    If I made it up the platform, Id like to be in C2


    Carrel

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The dragonshield tries a clumsy swing at the dashing halfling, but blood loss is starting to impair its motor skills at this point, and the swing goes quite wide.

    Basic swing at Swanky, Miss.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Very busy today, but will try to get my turn in tonight.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel again tries to blast the pikeman in front of him, with an even more powerful blast that hits the thing square in the forehead, after the beast had taken a swing at him.

    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast on Pikeman, provokes an Oppurtunity Attack 1d20+4 vs reflex = 14 - HIT!

    Pikeman takes 7 damage plus 1d6 = 4 from warlock's curse for a total of 11 damage.

    Pikeman is at 15 hp.

    Next up: Dragonshield

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The pikeman, who is quite frankly getting a little tired of all this hocus pocus jazz, takes another swipe at the gnome, and leaves a superficial wound. The dragonshield, meanwhile, summons up an inner reserve of strength, and lands a mighty blow on the orc, drawing Scarr's attention solely to him.

    Opportunity attack against Carrel: Hit for 4 damage.
    Dragonshield: Sword attack against Scarr, Critical hit for (6+4)10 damage, and Scarr is marked.


    Enemy info:
    Slinger(C2): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C10): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C11): HP: 13, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Dragonshield(D5): HP: 2, Bloodied, AC: 18, Fort: 14, Ref: 13, Will: 13
    Pikeman(E9): HP: 15, Slowed, Bloodied, AC: 15, Fort: 14, Ref: 14, Will: 13

    Map:
    banditlairdoor3.png
    Swanky I put you in B2 because you can't occupy the same square as an enemy.

    Up next: Scarr

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Rrrrrrrraaaaaaaaaaggggggghhhhh" Scarr lets out a might bellow taking the hit from the Dragonshield. Not so much in pain (although it did hurt...) but more out of rage.

    Scarr brings his axe around again, this time in a cross-cut blow. His mighty axe this time taking taking Kobold head clean off his shoulders and sending it bouncing down the hillside. Arterial spray bursts out as the body drops, coating Skarr's legs and boots with blood.

    You have never seen your brother look so happy before...


    Minor Action: N/A
    Move Action: N/A

    Standard Action: Brash Strike = 22 vs AC. HIT! Damage = 13 DEAD!!!

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    C2 Slinger: Free to drop sling, Minor to draw short sword, Swing against Swanky: Hit for 5 damage.
    C10 Slinger: Sling towards Daus: Hit for 4 damage.
    C11 Slinger: Sling towards Carrel: Critical Hit for (6+3)9 damage. Damn I'm rolling hot this morning.


    Enemy info:
    Slinger(C2): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C10): HP: 20, Slowed, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C11): HP: 9, Bloodied, Slowed, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Dragonshield(D5): HP: 0, Dead
    Pikeman(E9): HP: 15, Slowed, Bloodied, AC: 15, Fort: 14, Ref: 14, Will: 13

    Map:
    banditlairdoor4.png

    Up next: Korin

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    After being struck, Carrel immediately fades from view with a small hiss.

    Immediate Action: Fade Away , Carrel is now invisible until EOMNT or until I attack an enemy.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I still had the 4 temp hit points from Korin, so I think the Slinger only hit me for 1

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    With the Dragonshield slain, Korin attempts to follow his halfling brother up to the high platform...

    Athletics: 1d20-1=8

    Yeah, that isn't happening...

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky: That is correct, but I think you guys can keep track of your own temp hitpoints.
    Korin: Oh buddy...


    The dragonkin attempts to make a valiant leap towards the platform to help his brother. He then realizes that Swanky made it look easier than it was, as Korin trips right at the edge of the platform.

    Korin: Make an Acrobatics check.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Korin attempts to catch his balance...

    Acrobatics:1d20=11

    Hilarious pratfall, or early death? YOU DECIDE!

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    At the last possible second, Korin attempts to regain his balance. His attempt fails pretty miserably, but as he goes over the edge, his scaled hand reaches up for a last ditch attempt, and he manages to hang onto the edge of the platform, and pull himself back up. The other brothers would be sure to make a note to tell Corran of this later, if it weren't for the kobolds trying to kill them.

    The pikeman appears able to be able to see the humor in the situation. He laughs hilariously at the debacle, while taking a swipe at the gnome, and landing a solid strike.

    Korin, you are now in D6.
    Pikeman: swing at Carrel: Hit for 6 damage.


    Enemy info:
    Slinger(C2): HP: 24, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C10): HP: 20, Slowed, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C11): HP: 9, Bloodied, Slowed, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Dragonshield(D5): HP: 0, Dead
    Pikeman(E9): HP: 11, Slowed, Bloodied, AC: 15, Fort: 14, Ref: 14, Will: 13

    Also, just a reminder, if you guys can start getting in the habit of posting an essential statblock after your turn, that would help me a lot. Here's an example of what the players in the other game I run do.
    ZURIN STATBLOCK
    Zurin HP 29/84 Surges 11/13 Bloodied Value 42 Surge Value 22 (+1 from Belt of Vigor)
    AC 25 (34) Fort 21 (25) Ref 21 (25) Will 19 (24) Speed 5 Passive Perception 16 Passive Insight 16 AP 0
    Strength of Stone, Tempest Assault, XWildblood FrenzyX, Earthgrasp Strike, Mountain Hammer, Form of Winter's Herald Attack, +2 Screaming Armor, XSecond WindX, XForm of the Winter's HeraldX, Thunder Step, Nature's Abundance, Treacherous Ice, +2 Frost Waraxe, Frozen Whetstone
    Enemies from more than 5 squares away take a -2 penalty to ranged attacks due to Cloak of Distortion.
    Make a saving throw at the beginning of every turn.
    All spaces within 2 of me are difficult terrain for enemies.

    You don't have to get that fancy, but something along these lines would be much appreciated.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh I'm up.

    Daus focused on the pikeman as his spell collapsed. The small beast had harassed his brother from the start, and Daus knew Carrel was hurting. Illusory nightmares tore out of the kobold's mind--a large cat, an angry mother, shining steel in the dark--but some part of him knew that none of it was real. Daus reached out again--the orb needed a moment to reset, but this was more important--and the kobold knew he was being swarmed by invisible enemies. He died to a sword in his throat that didn't actually exist.


    Nightmare Eruption on Pikeman: 1d20+6 21 1d8+5 7
    FFffff-Action Point.
    Illusory Ambush on Pikeman: 1d20+6 26 1d6+5 8
    Pikeman's dead; Carrel gets whatever Warlock's Curse benefits he gets from that.
    If Carrel needs a Majestic Word, I've still got a minor action to do it with. 's a daily, so we might regret using it now.


    Carrel, Swanky, you're up.

    Oh, also:
    Daus(E7): HP: 16/20, AC: 14, Fort: 10, Ref: 14 Will: 16
    Man that is the barest of bones.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ah, jeez, didn't realize Carrel was hurt that bad, or I would've healed him on my turn. Well, I'll be able to help him fine on my next turn, so save your heal for when we really need it. Besides, it's not like I have anything else to do on my turn. There's no way I'm making the leap over to those platforms, and I don't have any ranged options.

    As for my statblock:
    Korin: HP 28/28 AC:16 Fort: 14 Ref:11 Will: 15

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky swung around to look at the kobold that he was now sharing a small platform with. He smiled at him maliciously and then gave him a wink.

    OOC:
    Positioning Strike: Dex v WILL
    1d20+9 = 14 Hit!
    Weapon Damage/Challenge Seeking - 1d6+5 / 1d6 = 13
    Effect: Slide the target 3 squares (CHA mod - Artful Dodger)


    Swanky leapt forward at the Slinger, driving his sword into the Slinger's shoulder. The kobold let out a hiss, but Swanky was far from done. Swanky placed his foot against the kobolds chest and kicked off violently. The halfling somersaulted off the kobold, ripping the sword from its shoulder. The force of the kick sent the kobold flying off the edge of the platform.

    Swanky could not contain himself, he threw his hands in the air and let out the most terrifying halfling warcry he had ever managed.

    OOC:
    I want to push him to the side we just came up, IE the really long way down side, IE the instant death side. If he can only fall to the small platform below, thats ok too. I think he would take fall damage (1d10?) and be prone. Does he also get an ATH check to grab on the side before he falls? And if so, does it matter that I pushed him 2 spaces further than the edge of the platform? It was cool, either way :P
    HP 12/24
    AC: 16 (22 vs AOO)
    Fort:12
    Ref: 16
    Will: 13
    Used Positioning Strike, Encounter Power

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky: Pushing him 3 squares is enough to send him down the side from which there can be no return. Nicely done.

    Daus: It doesn't have to get fancy. The example I posted only has that much stuff because it's for an 8th level character. All I really need to have in there are your defenses, and any traits you have that I should know about, like if you have an item that gives a bonus against ranged attacks or something along those lines. Also, if you guys post your HP in the statblock, it makes it easier for Korin to recognize who needs a heal. Also also, you made a dude kill himself with his mind. That makes you hardcore.

    Still Carrel's turn

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Farangu, if I were to try to move away from the pikeman in my invisible state, would I need to roll stealth to avoid an OA?

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Wolf if he can't see you, then he doesn't get to make an opportunity attack. He got a lucky swing in last time, so he knows that something is occupying the space, but he can't see it, so you can move away without provoking an OA.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Also the Pikeman's dead. I spent an action point on it and everything.
    Also also, since the Dragonshield's dead, is it Skarr's turn also?

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well shit, he is dead. I are dumb. And yes, since the dragonshield's dead, Scarr can go now too.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel takes aim at the slingers above and fires off a blast at the one that is nearly dead, but only just misses it.

    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast vs Slinger, 1d20+5 vs Reflex = 13 - MISS!

    Yes, uh, a heal would be nice. When you can spare one.

    Next up: Skarr

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Seeing his brothers make thier own kills steels Skarr's determination. Slinging his axe, Skarr pushes his way past his brothers and starts to climb the hillside.

    In his haste and bloodlust however, Skarr plants his foot right in pool of Kobold detrius. His leg slipped from under him and scar went down hard on one knee, his chin rapping smartly against the rockface.

    Looking ashamed, Skarr shakes his head to clear the spinning stars. "Grrr. I'm still coming for you, Kobold!!" Skarr shouts, scrabbling for a handhold.


    Move Action: Move to E9
    Standard Action: Climb to B10 Athletics = Natural F'n 1 FAIL
    Minor Action: Mark the Kobold Slinger in C10
    Stat Block:
    HP:31, AC:17, F:16, R:11, W:11, Surges:7

    Steelhawk on
Sign In or Register to comment.