Options

[DnD] The Fantastical Contraption - Pt. 4 - Heart of Darkness

1246752

Posts

  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Scarr, make an Acrobatics check.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Uh oh...

    Acrobatics = 18

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    As the orc tries to ascend the craggy wall to the platform, he misses a handhold, and begins to drop. Fortunately, he learned a thing or two watching Swanky practice all his rolls and dives, and executes a roll upon landing that both negates any damage he might have taken from the fall and also makes him look quite awesome. Scarr stands up, and displays a toothy grin.

    However, one of the kobolds sees that as a target, and lets a heavy stone fly towards it. The other does the same towards the changeling. One rock bounces harmlessly off of Scarr's armor, but the other clocks Daus solidly in the head. That one will, in fact, leave a mark.

    Slinger(C10): Sling towards Scarr, Miss.
    Slinger(C11): Sling towards Daus, Hit for 8 damage.


    Enemy info:
    Slinger(C2): HP: 0, Failed at Cliffhanger
    Slinger(C10): HP: 20, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Slinger(C11): HP: 9, Bloodied, AC: 13, Fort: 12, Ref: 14, Will: 12
    Dragonshield(D5): HP: 0, Dead
    Pikeman(E9): HP: 0, Dead

    Map:
    banditlairdoor5.png

    Up next: Everybody

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Still riding his adrenaline high, Swanky swings around and eyes the last two kobolds. He sheaths his sword (minor action), and removes a hidden shuriken from his leather armor (free action - quick draw feat). Hmmm, further than I'd like, but still worth a shot!
    Sly Flouish on Slinger at C10 (Shuriken count as "light blades"), Standard Action
    Dex vs AC
    1d20+8-2 (for long range) = 10, Miss

    "Filth and crapulance!" Swanky cursed as the shuriken sailed high. He yelled down to his brothers, "I know you guys are hurting, too, but if someone is feeling bored and generous, Im a little banged up!"

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I am totally going to start using 'filth and crapulance' IRL.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Korin is currently hugging the ground, tears streaming down his face, apparently still shaken up from his close call. "I'M SAVED! THANK THE GODS, I'M SA-A-AVED!"

    He opens his eyes and looks over to Carrel, "Oh, wow, you're hurt! Don't worry about it though, those wounds are nothing!" As Korin says this, his gnomish brother immediately feels better. However, he doesn't notice his wounds actually mending slightly...

    Ardent Surge - Carrel can spend a healing surge and gains an additional 1d6=3 hit points. In addition, he also gains a +1 to all attack rolls until the EOMNT.

    And that's all I got. Unfortunately, I can only use one heal per round, and I'm not going to try and make that jump to another platform again. I think we've pretty much got this handled at this point though, so no worries, we should be getting a short rest soon.

    EDIT: And just realized I forgot my statblock. Here ya go.

    Korin
    HP 28/28 AC 16 Fort 14 Ref 11 Will 15

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    @ Farangu: Glad I could donate that, sir. My brother starting using it many moons ago, no idea where its from.

    @ Korin: Ya theres no urgency for the heal, just a quick heads up is all. Barring 2 good shots from the slingers all should be copasetic

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel, hoping to take a dent off the unscathed slinger sends an intense blast of fire towards the platform, but it goes wide like his last attempt. Furious, he quickly fires off another one at the other slinger, and the blast strikes him, the force of which causes his head to explode.

    Minor Action: Warlock's Curse on slinger(C10).

    Standard Action: Witchfire on slinger(C10) 1d20+5 vs reflex = 6 - AUTOMATIC MISS!

    ACTION POINT!

    Standard Action: Eldritch Blast on slinger C11 1d20+5 vs reflex = 24 - HIT!

    Slinger takes 11 points of damage and is now dead.

    Carrel: 15/25 HP, 15 AC, 11 FORT, 14 REF, 15 WILL

    Oh I seem to have forgotten that I now have 6/7 surges left after my healing thanks to Korin

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Daus tried, unsuccessfully, to blink away the dizziness, but that last rock had been aimed well. When he could see properly again, he straightened and set his sight on the remaining kobold. He barely noticed the blood dribbling down his cheek as he assembled his illusion of sound and pain. The pikeman had died to enemies he could not see, and if the slinger wasn't on guard, he would as well.

    Illusory Ambush vs Kobold Slinger: 1d20+6 25 1d6+5 9
    The slinger takes a -2 penalty to attack rolls until the end of my next turn. (I didn't bring this up with the pikeman because he was too dead for it to matter.)

    Daus: HP: 8/20, AC: 14, Fort: 10, Ref: 14, Will:16
    Bloodied. Slinger has attack roll penalty (-2) until my next turn ends.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Is that everyone?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr still needs to go again, I believe.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr tried to climb the wall and get at the slingers, but failed miserably. Are we on the next turn already?

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Yeah, the slingers are the only enemies left, and they went between now and then.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Actually Skarr, you do get one more turn. You go right before the slingers, we just resolved your acrobatics check in the same turn. So you go again, and then the slinger.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Crap! Sorry guys...

    Skarr once again gets a handhold and climbs the hillside, determined to get to the slingers. Pulling himself up hand over hand, he finally gains the top and brings out his axe.

    Skarr sends his massive axe crashing into the slingers knee with a deft flick, the heavy blade nearly took the kobolds leg clean off. The monster buckled and was now limping badly.

    Fixing the kobold with a menacing grin Skarr says "I told you I was coming."


    Move Action: Athletics = 26 Move to B10
    Standard Action: Steel Serpent Strike = 27, HIT! Damage = 12; and the target is slowed and cannot shift until the end of my next turn.
    Minor Action: Mark the Slinger in C10, again.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Actually, Hawk, you added wrong. He's dead.

    As the last kobold dies of its wounds, the brothers pause to take stock of their situation. They had triumphed in their first real test! Although some of them were hurt badly.

    So a semi-triumph!

    COMBAT IS OVER

    You may now each take a short rest, regaining your encounter powers and spending as many healing surges as you like. Other than that, what are your actions?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Well, that wasn't so hard!" Korin says with a smile, failing to realize he was the only one who made it out unscathed.

    Oblivious to the angry glares he's doubtlessly getting, Korin begins to move toward the door. "Well, they know we're here now! We'd better get moving if we want to catch them by surprise." He turns towards the others. "Coming?"

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Down to 4/6 surges, and up to 18/20 HP.

    When Skarr finally reached the last kobold, Daus stopped paying attention. There was only one outcome, there. Instead, he fell back against the carved cliff face and closed his eyes against pain. Ploymorphing away injuries could be more painful than earning them, but it ended the lingering wound. So he focused on it, not just to stitch his skin together, but to relearn what it felt like. A lie could hurt, after all.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Since this is the first encounter as a group, I'll be a little less than subtle and say that I don't automatically assume you do Perception checks to search the bodies.

    Also when it's just me in a post I'm going to stop using DimGray as I think it's really hard to read.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky scurried down the platform back to his brothers after Skarr had felled the last kobold.

    "That...was...awesome! Did you see that? I was like STAB! and Daus and Carrell you guys were throwing spells all over the place like crazy! And then I climbed the thing, and pushed him off?! And then Skarr was all like "Waaaa!" but then fell off the thing, like Korin, but then got up again and smashed him anyway?!..." Swanky continued to yammer as he searched the bodies of the kobolds. When he was satisfied that the kobolds didnt hold anything else of value, he nearly fell over to catch his breath (he hadn't actually stopped talking yet).

    Used 2 surges, HP: 24/24, and 5/7 surges
    Perception check on searching the bodies: 12
    Edit: Also, is climbing back down one of those things I can "take 20" out of combat, of do I need to roll that ATH check?

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr shoots out an arm to grab Swanky before he falls over the side of the landing. "Easy brother, don't tire yourself out yet. There are probably more of them inside. But you're right, this was awesome."

    Skarr moves to the door, heedless of the kobold blood dripping off him and his axe. Wearing the filth like a fine cloak. The bloodlust cousing through his veins was not satisfied in the slightest and Skarr was eager to slay some more kobolds. At least Corrin's upbringing had taught Skarr enough to control himself. He could see how the rest of his kin would quickly fall into blood filled rages, hacking and slaying at anything that moved. How entire villages could fall to his axe. What a rush!

    "Come brothers, there must be more kobolds for us to slay, lets get on with it..."

    Skarr spends 2 healing surges bringing him back to full health. 10 of 12 surges left.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel, content with letting his brothers search for loot, takes the time to dust himself off.

    "I must remember in the future not to hold the rear in case of attacks like that. Being in the middle is the way to go, I think." Carrel then turned to Daus and opened a conversation with him.

    "Feels kind of different using spells in battle, instead of on harmless inanimate constructs our father built for target practice, eh? Especially when they strike back!"

    21/25 HP after using one surge, bringing me to 5/7 surges left. !Ready to move on when everyone else is.

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Injury healed, Daus was glad for conversation. If only as a distraction from his brother's... exultations.

    "Ha!" It was not a laugh. "We'll keep one of the others between us and the spears from now on. But I wish I hadn't been blocking your way." He pushed himself off the wall. "And for now, I'd like to know more about this group, if I can."

    If Daus was being short with Carrel, he couldn't bring himself to worry. He had greater concerns. Who might a kobold worship? Into whose realm had they sent these men, who had the poor luck of being on guard duty when the sons of Corran came?

    Let's look around: 1d20+1 21
    goodness gracious that is a natural 20 to search the bodies for useful and informative things

    Religion: 1d20+9 13

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Swanky's search of the bodies reveals a small key. He also stumbles upon two small cuts of topaz in the dragonshield's pocket. While the halfling deftly pockets the topaz(hoping no-one saw him do it), he proudly trumpets his discovery of the key, which does indeed fit into the door in front of them. As it opens, you see a dark corridor heading straight into the hill. Some form of light will be needed to proceed further, but you can make out two openings, one on each side of the hall, before a set of stairs heading down."

    Swanky: Yes, these cliffs were not jagged enough to require an ATH check outside of combat.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Oh, so this door was locked! Good job finding the key then, Swanky! Well then, shall we charge blindly forward?" Korin seems as eager to get moving as his Halfling and Orcish brothers are.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "As fun as that sounds, Korin...and it sounds like a blast, maybe someone should go check it out, and take a glance down each hallway. Now I am more than happy to take my handsome derriere down the hallway, but its pretty dang dark in there. I'm also not too keen on the idea of sneaking around holding a torch...any suggestions?"

    If we decide to head on in, im !Ready for that, too

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    So are you going in boldly, or is this a sneaking mission?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr doesn't need light. Skarr goes in boldly.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Going in, you see yourself with the same choices - through either of the two side corridors, or down the stairs."

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Korin fishes a sunrod out of his pack and taps it against the wall, bathing the hallway in light. He follows Skarr with similar boldness.

    Assuming that nothing big and nasty appears when he lights the hall up, Korin says, "Let's clear these two rooms quick, left to right, then head downstairs. Sound like a plan?"

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Any word on those checks I rolled? No? Okay.

    Daus grunted when Korin lit a sunrod. He pulled his orb out again, its illumination faded, and let it shine with simple, white light. If they were to surrender surprise, at least they would see their foes.

    Light sheds a bright light from the target (my implement) for four squares for five minutes.
    If/when that matters.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr grunts in annoyance as the lights spring into being behind him, but continues down the hall on his left keeping a wary eye open for dangers.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Oh crap I didn't even see those checks, sorry Aegof.

    Daus:
    Your perception does not find anything of use past what the halfling found. What you know of kobolds suggests that they prefer to associate with very young dragons, as the creatures often find amusing uses for the kobolds' fanaticism.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "As your group heads down the first hallway to the left, you find that it gradually curves back towards the entrance, ending in a small, movable boulder resting against a wall. Moving the boulder aside, you see behind it an entrance that leads to one of the platforms over the landing that housed the slingers."

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr grunts in annoyance at the useless trip down the hallway and retraces his steps to check the other hallway, fully expecting to find a path to the other platform.

    Once thats done, he'll confer with his brothers before heading down the stairs.

    Skarr's anxious to get this adventure going, but not stupid or stubborn enough to walk into things blindly. Well, maybe he is....its a case by case kinda thing. Anyway....if our more stealthy members should want to do thier scouting thing (and they should) then just get in there, otherwise Skarr will kick open doors and smash open locks at his pleasure.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky is getting noticeably antsy. He looks longingly down the stairs as the brothers pass them to explore the other side passage.

    If theres nothing in that hallway, then I will take...some kind of light with me to scout ahead down the stairs. Only problem is that I dont have low-light vision. So if anyone has sneak trained and can see in the dark, you are more than welcome to try your hand as well.

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "As you expected, the other branching hallway leads back to the other slinger platform."

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Well, Carrel and Skarr would have low-light vision, I believe, but I don't know how good those two are at sneaking. I, personally, am all for charging forward with reckless abandon, but if you want to attempt a sneaking mission, go right ahead, I've got no complaints.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The brothers stood at the landing, looking down the stairs. When nothing happened, Swanky realized that his brothers were all looking at him.

    "What?"

    As the realization of the unspoken expectation hit him, Swanky immediately began to justify his inaction...

    "Oh no, no no no no no. You guys know I'm the first one to go sneaking around to take a look see at whats afoot, but this is a little different. I'd be be "sneaking" holding a giant torch, and not even I, the grant and dashing Swanky can pull of that little trick. I'm think I'm going to have to go with what I know Korin and Skarr want in their hearts..."

    Swanky draws his sword and points down the stairs, "Live forever or die trying, right?" With that he began skipping down the stairs...carefully of course.

    OOC:
    Perception check for traps and such on the stairs...for some reason traps like stairs = 11

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky:
    Your acute senses perceive no traps on the stairs.

    "As your group descends down the stairs, you follow the corridor it leads to, about 15 feet down from where you started. This hallway shortly opens up into a larger antechamber, with openings in the middle of each wall. Four small braziers from the corners of the room provide light, which both strike a couple of kobolds, who ready themselves. They resemble the slingers of before, but...stronger."

    Roll for initiative!

    Map:
    koboldhallway1jpg.png

    You may place yourselves in the 6 squares from F4 to H5.

    Farangu on
Sign In or Register to comment.