Options

[DnD] The Fantastical Contraption - Pt. 4 - Heart of Darkness

13468952

Posts

  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The above question is relevant to my interests

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    I can see how it would work in a tabletop game, but for a pbp I'm going to rule that you can have it start to take effect on your turn.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Korin clutches at the dagger wound, bent over as if trying to catch his breath, even after the Kobold who inflicted it had fallen. Then, quite suddenly, he turns to the remaining Kobold with a look of pure rage and hatred. "YOU LITTLE BASTARDS THINK YOU CAN HURT ME AND MY BROTHERS AND GET AWAY WITH IT?!" The light in the room almost seems to warp around him, making him look bigger and more threatening than he should. The Kobold shrinks in terror at the Dragonborn, opening itself to attack.

    Korin practically LEAPS out of the pit, and runs at the Kobold, but his anger clouds his vision and his attack misses. He whispers to himself, "Calm down, you can do this." His pain lessens, and his wounds subtly heal.

    No Action: Ardent Outrage - All enemies within 5 squares grant Combat Advantage until the start of my next turn.
    Move to B5. Athletics to get out of the pit: 1d20-1=15 Pretty sure that's enough.
    Standard: Energizing Strike(Augment 2) -1d20+10=13UGH, even with CA and Dragonborn Fury I miss.
    Minor: Ardent Surge - I spend healing surge and gain extra 1d6=1

    Why do you hate me Orokos?

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Moving with purpose, Skarr is annoyed that he's missing most of the fight. The battle rages around him still, and Skarr still had a role to play.

    "That Kobold is mine!" Skarr shouts, following Korin in climbing back out of the pit, worried that his very angry brother might steal his kill. Skarr seizes the moment, scaling the pit a moment after Korin, Skarr follows his brothers charge with a mighty swing of his axe, cleaving the Hurler in two at the waist.

    Satisfied, Skarr stands tall.

    Simple: Mark the Hurler in A6
    Move Action: Move to B6, Athletics = 19
    Standard Action: Brash Strike vs Hurler(A6) = 26 HIT!! Damage = 20 DEAD!!!

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The room is free of kobold influence.

    COMBAT IS OVER

    As your group takes stock, you see that the minions were hiding not in alcoves, but in the beginnings of hallways. There is also a wide hallway that was behind the hurlers. There are also bodies around you.

    Course of action?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Korin, still frustrated at the Kobold, takes out his eternal chalk, and draws a fake moustache, monocle, and writes I AM SIR POOPYHEAD on the dead creature's forehead. He fails to realize how creepy this is.

    He turns to the others after completing his 'artwork', and says, "Well, I'm feeling better! So, how should we go forward? I say we clear these side halls, left to right, then move forward, like we did last time. Any objections?"

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky's first course of action is to put out the damn crotch-fire.
    Next Swanky methodically goes to each corpse and gives them each of couple more stab wounds...just to be sure. While he is ensuring the kobold's deadness, he checks over the bodies, looking for anything worthwhile. He attempts to pocket anything small and announces anything that one his brother's may be interested in...

    Perception: 14
    Thievery: 30
    I'd also like to use 2 surges if we have the time...24/24hp ; 3/7 surges

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr also pops a surge to bring himself back to full health.

    "Swanky, stop stealing from your brothers. Corrin taught you to share, didn't he?" Skarr says, his massive shadow looming over the halfling.

    Skarr doesn't really care about the loot, per se. But he knows how his brother operates.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky turns around, plastering indignation all over his face. "Steal?! Why Skarr, I am appalled that you would accuse me of such. That's preposterous! That's ridiculous! I'm incredulous! Your accusation is tenuous! It's malicious! You are being pugnacious! Your shadow is ominous! The glove don't fit, and you know what that means, Skarr!"

    Ill go ahead and make a bluff check on the speech to see if I can pilfer in peace, and if theres nothing to actually be pocketing than Swanky will just have practiced his skillz (yeah...with a 'z').
    1d20+8 = 13
    Now see, aren't you glad I got that '5' out of the way, so that I can roll better when I may need to bluff?

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Swanky, quit fooling around and distribute the loot evenly, we'll all need equal gains to help father's quest after all" Carrel says in a stern voice.

    Insight 1d20+4 = 22

    :D

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Instead of finding loot in the conventional sense, Swanky discovers something different. Oh, he does find 50 gold crowns between the bodies, but he also finds that one of the hurlers carried, in his back pocket, a strange piece of leather. It's very shiny, almost as if covered in grease. And it was a key component in one of Swanky's schematics..."

    Here's how the item finding (and progression in general) will work for now. After you return to Corran's Reach, not only will you each level up, but characters that find items needed for their schematics (in this case, Swanky's Addergrease Armor +1) will be able to attempt a skill challenge to make their item. What kind of challenge? I don't know at this point, still working on that. What I do know is that if you completely ace it, your item might gain an additional property. If you completely bomb it, it might have a defect or flaw. More details on that are coming shortly.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Fine, fine...10 crowns apiece," he says as he divides up the loot, "but I'm keeping this length of leather...finder's fee. Also, we narrowly avoided a catastrophe for all the local ladies in that last fight. Can you imagine how upset they would have been if the General would have been put out of commission? I'll consider this little component to be hazard pay." Not waiting for approval from any of his brother's, he slides the greasy leather under his armor.

    "Now whats all this I hear about side passages? Left side, eh Korin? Lets get this show on the road, somebody poked holes in these kobolds and they are starting to stink..."

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    A quick and solemn prayer to the war-gods done, Daus joined his brothers in the bloody room.

    "Clever as they are," Daus eyed the pit as he walked its edge, "I doubt these kobolds are making use of our prize. It's probably in a store room somewhere, or long since sold off. If we're lucky, there's a closet down one of these hallways."

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Your group heads off to the hallway to the left. It contains a staircase, heading upwards about 10 feet, before ending in a door. This door has on it a poorly written note:

    "Cawshun: Ratz, of bof flyin' and non' varietiez"

    Sorry, can't help but steal the 40k way of speaking :D

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Oh, geez, their grammar is even worse than yours, Skarr!" Korin freezes for a moment, realizing what he just said, and which of his brothers he said it to. "OHGODPLEASEDONTHURTME"

    After a moment, (and possibly an old-fashioned Orcish pummeling) Korin tries to change the subject. "Anyway, has anyone ever heard of flying rats before? All the rats I've seen are strictly of the ground bound variety. Still..."

    Nature for 'flying rats': 1d20=18

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Korin:
    They could be referring to something that looks like a rat, but flies. A bat, maybe?

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr grabs the Dragonborn's shoulder and spins his around, turning him to that Korin is looking directy into Skarr face. Skarr's menacing face (Orc's are just built that way, Skarr doesn't even have to strain) leans in close.

    "You should be grateful, otherwise I'd be on the other side of that door. And you wouldn't like that... at all."

    Back at the Reach, Korin and the rest of his brothers, had all caught a beating or two at the hands of the violence prone Orc throughout the years. But here? Now? There were other things Skarr could spend his aggression on. There were things here that Skarr didn't have to hold back on. The mere thought made Skarr smile. The kind of smile that Korin didn't like up close. Squirming in Skarr's grip, Korin shakes free.

    "Bah!" Skarr says, losing the foul glare. "I'm having too much fun right now to be mad. Lets kick open the door and stomp on the rats!"

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    There were many things Daus could've said at this juncture, but decided it was not the best time.

    "Swanky," Daus said, instead, "You have the best eye for this kind of thing: Make sure the door isn't rigged to drop a chamberpot on us or something."

    Aid Another Perception: 1d20+1 10
    On the other hand it'd be kinda funny if we walked into every goddamn trap these guys set.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "W-well anyway," Korin said, squirming out of his brother's grip, "The flying rats are probably just bats, don't you think? I mean, actual rats can't fly. Can they?"

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Lizards have been known to become rather large and grow wings. Why not rats?"
    Daus was only mortal, after all.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Always thinking Daus, always thinking. That's why we pay you the big bucks." Swanky begins inspecting the door. He leans in close, eyeballing the door very carefully, even going so far as to rub his chin and say "hmmmmm".

    Im not actually sure I have the best eye for traps (my perception is only +5), but I can certainly make a valiant effort to disarm those we do find.

    1d20+5=22

    Im a little unclear on the rules for "aiding a roll" so I didnt modify for it...assume whatever modifier it needs for Daus


    "On a somewhat related note, I'm really looking forward to flying some bats!"

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky:
    The door contains no traps of any kind you can figure. You assume that, after reading the sign, one who continues past would get what they deserve.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    After several minutes of study, Swanky turns to the group "This door is oak, solidly built, and a prime example of Victorian doorsmanship, though the lack of a maker's mark may dilute the value some. At auction I would say a piece like this could bring anywhere from 200-300 gold pieces."

    Once again, Swanky is at a loss concerning the incredulous and disapproving looks from his brothers. Several seconds pass until Korin quietly reminds his what he was supposed to be looking for.

    "What? Oh traps? No, no traps."

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Skarr, why don't you break the door down and scare whatever "flying rats" are behind this door, eh?" Carrel remarks to his green brother.

    Ready to move in when you guys are

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "See...Carrel...he knows what I like." Skarr says, moving upto the door, "Get ready!"

    Taking a deep breath and bring his axe across his chest, Skarr thrusts a mighty boot out before him, the door splintering at the latch and flying inwards with a crash.

    With a roar of "Waaagh!" Skarr steps into room.

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    You charge forward...into a room surprisingly devoid of rats of any kind. What you do see is a chest in the middle of the large room, and a couple of racks of rusty weapons off to your left.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Well, that's an anti-climax..." Korin sighs, "Swanky, check the chest. Then we can get moving again. Be careful though, I have a bad feeling about this..."

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    The chest in the middle of the room made Swanky's eyes grow as big as saucers. His generally distracted mind instantly focused. There were only two things times when this happened; when something needed stabbing, and when something needed opening that wasn't meant to be opened.

    He became intensely focused on the room in front of him. His eyes scanned the room carefully, attempting to pick up anything abnormal between himself and the chest. "Stay here..." Swanky stated to his brothers. It was not really a command, but the lucidity with which Swanky said it suggested he may be serious. Swanky carefully picked his way across the room.

    Perception for traps/anything odd in the room: 14

    When he reached the chest, he cracked his knuckles and began to examine it, as he had the door. This time, though, he decided to forgo the appraisal, there were more important things afoot.

    Perception for traps on the chest: 9
    Thats unfortunate...


    Satisfied that the chest was not going to try anything fishy, Swanky unbuttoned a hidden pouch in his pack. He withdrew a nondescript, rolled up piece of cloth. He carefully unrolled it on the ground beside him, revealing a plethora of thieves' tools. "Not a word to dad about these" he hissed back to his brothers. After selecting the appropriate tool, Swanky set to work on the chest, not even bothering to see if it was, in fact, unlocked to begin with.

    To open chest: 26

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "As Swanky opens the chest...nothing happens. This gives him a chance to gander at some things inside the chest. Namely, gold.

    But then something happens.

    A magical bell rings loudly from the chest. It is quite loud, but it only rings once, then disappears. You seem puzzled at first.

    Then you hear fluttering coming from above. Lots of fluttering. You then also see two large rats exit from holes in the wall behind the chest, along with a swarm of rats acting as one between the weapon racks.

    Roll for initiative!"

    Map:
    ratroom.png

    Swanky is obviously next to the chest, since he opened it. The rest of you can place yourselves wherever in the room.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    Smoove OperatorSmoove Operator Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Ahhh crap: 9

    Smoove Operator on
    Honesty, Integrity, Handshakefulness
    _____________________________________________

    HoTS: Schmutz#1686
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Woot! Natural 20!!!

    And Skarr will be starting in F5

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Lots of enemies... I don't do well with multiple targets, but lets give this a shot anyways." Carrel prepares himself for battle.

    Initiative: 1d20+4 = 20

    Carrel will be standing in H6

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Swanky has better Perception than the entire rest of the party combined. He's totally got the best eye.

    "I might be able to deal with many of them," Daus said to Carrel. "But you'll do fine regardless."

    Initiative: 1d20+0 16
    Hey, that's pretty good.
    Gimmie H8.

    Hey, DM, help me out here:
    Orb of Deception reads
    Trigger: When you miss an enemy with a wizard illusion power

    Effect: Choose another enemy within 3 squares of the missed target. The chosen enemy cannot also be a target of the original attack. Repeat the attack against this new target, with a bonus to the attack roll equal to your Charisma modifier.

    Since the trigger is missing an enemy, (as opposed to all targeted enemies,) it looks like an AOE illusion power can be used twice in a turn, so long as one target is missed and it's within three squares of another potential target.

    I feel like I'm not reading this right, since it can get very nasty very quickly this way. Thoughts?

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
  • Options
    KinahtoKinahto Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    "Haha! These Kobolds are actually pretty clever, using these vermin as a trap. Whatever, I'm just glad they aren't actually flying rats. Aren't you, Daus? By the way, remind me to make sure we check for magical traps in the future. You know, this reminds me..."

    Korin seems so distracted by his own thoughts that he's completely forgotten that a battle is occurring.

    Initiative:1d20+1 = 2

    OROKOS!!!

    Anyway, I'll take E7.

    Kinahto on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Daus:
    The way I'm reading it, if you do an area attack, and you miss an original target, and there's another no more than 3 squares away that was not a part of the original attack, you can target them. However, I'm ruling that you can't daisy chain; you get only one second chance. Also, each enemy you target this way can only have this done to them once per turn.

    Initiative order:
    Skarr: 20
    Carrel: 20
    Bats: 17
    Daus: 16
    Swanky: 9
    Dire rats:9
    Rat swarm: 7
    Korin: 2

    Updated map:
    ratroom2.png

    Stat blocks:
    Bats: AC:13, HP:1, Fort:12, Ref:14, Will:13
    Dire Rats: Bats: AC:15, HP:38, Fort:15, Ref:13, Will:11
    Rat Swarm: AC:15, HP:36, Fort:12, Ref:13, Will:11

    Also if we could get in the habit of posting the personal stat-blocks a little more often, I'd appreciate it.

    Up first: Skarr & Carrel

    Farangu on
  • Options
    SteelhawkSteelhawk Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Skarr lights up at the prospect of battle, again with a war cry of "Waaagh!" Skarr charges forwards, eager to slay some rats.

    Thundering across the room, Skarr's axe flashes briefly though the air and a bisected bat falls to the floor. A quick sidestep brings Skarr right up before one of the Dire Rats, heedless of the other bats surrounding him. He grins at the stupid rat, and wonders how it would taste.


    Standard Action: Charge to C5, Attacking Bat in B5: Basic Melee Attack = 26, Damage = 8 HIT & DEAD!
    Move Action: Shift to B4
    Minor Action: Nil


    Stat Block:
    HP:31, AC:17, F:16, R:11, W:11, Surges: 9/12
    Spent Powers: Steel Serpent Strike

    Steelhawk on
  • Options
    WhiteWolfWhiteWolf Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel throws a blast of fire for the large mass of bats but somehow manages to hit the ground below them instead.

    Minor Action: Warlock's Curse on Bat Swarm

    Standard Action: Witchfire on Bat Swarm 1d20+5 = 11 - MISS!

    FFFFFFFFFFFFFF I WILL NEVER HIT WITH WITCHFIRE EVER

    Carrel: 21/25 HP, 15 AC, 11 FORT, 14 REF, 15 WILL

    WhiteWolf on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Carrel I think you meant rat swarm, because each bat is a different creature.

    Farangu on
  • Options
    FaranguFarangu I am a beardy man With a beardy planRegistered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Speaking of the bats...

    "Each of the bats suddenly fly into movement, each executing crazy mid-air spirals and pirhouettes. It would be almost poetic to watch if they weren't biting you the entire time."

    Each bat will perform a fly-by attack, in which they move their speed, make a basic attack and do not provoke AOO's by doing so. Since it'd be kind of painstaking to track each movement individually, I'll just list who gets hit.

    Daus: Hit for 4.
    Swanky: Miss. Miss.
    Carrel: Miss.
    Korin: Hit for 4.
    Skarr: Miss. Hit for 4.

    Map:
    ratroom3.png

    Up next: Daus & Swanky

    Farangu on
  • Options
    AegofAegof Registered User regular
    edited May 2010
    Daus flinched as the bat passed by. He didnt much like wild, or even tamed creatures, and these examples were nerve-wracking to be around. But as unsettling as the bats were, the swarm of rats was terrifying and Daus did not want it leaving its position between the weapon racks. He inched away from the nearest bat, and dropped his own swarm, this one of heavy, shadow claws, in the path of the teeming pile of vermin. He didn't notice the bats within range of the spell, not until they fell out of the air, their simple minds overwhelmed by his efforts.


    Slide to H9.

    Grasping Shadows on D4:
    Grasping Shadows vs D5: 1d20+6 16 1d8+5 13
    Grasping Shadows vs C4: 1d20+6 13 1d8+5 12
    Any creature that enters the burst 1 around D4 takes 4 damage and is slowed until the end of its next turn.

    Daus (H9): HP: 14, AC: 14, Fort: 10, Ref: 14, Will: 16
    Grasping Shadows lasts until the end of my next turn.

    Two minions down, and the swarm isn't going far. Skarr is isolated with a Dire Rat and might need some back up, but these bats'll mess us up fast if we let them.

    Next: Dire Rats and the swarm.

    Aegof on
    I'm providing ambience.
Sign In or Register to comment.